Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

goodness posted:

We also actually have a police force that has CSI and arrests people instead of just making you disappear!
"We are not literally a police state, therefore our police are above criticism!"

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

goodness posted:

Speaking of, are there any good prison games? If not, I think I'm on to something.

This has always sounded really cool to me: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96613/alcatraz-scapegoat

then of course the classic:

quote:

Don't Drop the Soap is a controversial prison-themed board game designed by art student John Sebelius as a 2006 class project at the Rhode Island School of Design.[1] The game received criticism for its content, most notably for the game's treatment of prison rape.[2] Sebelius also received notice for being the son of Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius and U.S. Magistrate Judge K. Gary Sebelius.[3] The game officially went on sale on January 31, 2008 in Lawrence, Kansas and through Sebelius' personal website,[4] and is considered to be similar to Monopoly in its gameplay.[5]

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 10, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Poison Mushroom posted:

There was another mini-boom when Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon got real big in the mid 2000s. I distinctly remember playing, aside from the popular ones like DBZ and Naruto, a Gash/Zatch Bell card game, a Dragon Booster CCG, and a loving History Channel trading card game.

Hey, Anachronism was not a trading card game, and it owned :colbert:

...I wonder if there's a vassal module for it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Hey, Anachronism was not a trading card game, and it owned :colbert:

...I wonder if there's a vassal module for it
Nope, but there's apparently a LackeyCCG set for it.

T-Bone posted:

"Considered to be similar to Monopoly in its gameplay" has got to be one of the best backhanded compliments I've ever heard.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I don't know about you but I still play Star Trek TNG CCG on a daily basis and eagerly await the next set:

That looks like Second Edition bullshit. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

"Considered to be similar to Monopoly in its gameplay" has got to be one of the best backhanded compliments I've ever heard.

The entire board is Go To Jail.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Der Shovel posted:

I had a card which enabled me to cause one player to effectively miss their turn: their attack would whiff and they couldn't play more attack cards that turn. Knowing everything I outlined above, I played the whiff card on the aggressive guy. He immediately flips his poo poo, goes CRIMSON in the face, eyes bulging and starts yelling at me for playing like an idiot and making a suboptimal move. Everyone tries to explain to him that no, I did not in fact do so.

That's actually pretty funny. I hate playing with people like that but love to hear stories about them.

I was going to ask this thread about Cutthroat Caverns. It doesn't have the greatest BGG ranking but I still hear good things about it. I don't want to call it a light game, but it looks like a game that can be learned pretty quickly and I don't really have any of those in my collection (with the exception of Dominion).

I'm tempted to pick it up assuming it hasn't been replaced by something else.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Cutthroat Caverns is the game you play if you have to play Munchkin but want an okay game.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

T-Bone posted:

This has always sounded really cool to me: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96613/alcatraz-scapegoat

I think I can do better than this.

Worker Placement prison game here we go.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Gimnbo posted:

Cutthroat Caverns is the game you play if you have to play Munchkin but want an okay game.

Well that sounds alright. I think.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rutibex posted:

:ssh: All board games are PnP.
1)First go to a games section on BGG and click on the "gallery" there you will find high resolution scans of every game component
2)Now go down to the "files" section and download a fan made rulebook
3)Print it all out and paste it on to some cardboard; you'll need to hit up the dollar store for supplies here
4)Profit! Enjoy out of print boardgames for pennies on the dollar

Um, what??? The games I'm interested in don't have hi res scans of all the components (particularly cards) on BGG.

Strange answer.

e: from BGG's image rules:

The following types of images are not allowed:

Individual images for each component (mini, card, tile, etc.) This is especially true for collectible minis games and CCGs;

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 10, 2015

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Lorini no don't get caught by rutibex's low effort trolling :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Lorini posted:

Um, what??? The games I'm interested in don't have hi res scans of all the components (particularly cards) on BGG.

Strange answer.

e: from BGG's image rules:

The following types of images are not allowed:

Individual images for each component (mini, card, tile, etc.) This is especially true for collectible minis games and CCGs;

He meant you can just make the pieces yourself however you want them to look. All you need is the rules to play a game.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

goodness posted:

He meant you can just make the pieces yourself however you want them to look. All you need is the rules to play a game.

You'll never be able to play the best game anyway because who has the time to house rule Arkham Horror.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

You know before I read this thread I actually always thought Arkham was supposed to be the height of board games from the way it's revered in stores.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Last night a friend of mine posted a picture of her board game shelf after just moving and asked for recommendations for what to fill it up with on Facebook. She's played games with me before so I reminded her of a few she liked and named a couple others that'd be up her alley.

I just checked FB a few hours later and literally every other recommendation is Munchkin (8 votes), CAH (6 votes), and Cosmic Encounter (4 votes).

e: Oh wait, apparently one other person said Terra Mystica, bringing it to 2 votes, myself included. Good job, that guy.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 10, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I know a guy giving away some games. Are any of these worth jumping on for next to nothing.

Alea Iacta Est
Spyrium
Bora Bora

I know nothing about any of them. I'll only take one if any.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Timett posted:

I know a guy giving away some games. Are any of these worth jumping on for next to nothing.

Alea Iacta Est
Spyrium
Bora Bora

I know nothing about any of them. I'll only take one if any.

Don't know the other two, but I've heard good things about Bora Bora.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Spyrium is a worker placement game that plays in a bit over an hour. I'd say in terms of weight it's one step up from Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age. It doesn't make anyone's list of classics but it's super solid and eats more brainpower than it looks like it will.

Alea Iacta Est is a pure dice game. I don't know anything about it beyond that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Don't know the other two, but I've heard good things about Bora Bora.

Bora Bora is the point salad shittiness of Castles of Burgundy but some how far far worse and random.

Spyrium is an interesting worker placement / area control game. Same designer as Caylus.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Well there are often hi-res scans of the actual game components but yeah all you need are rules! It is technically not possible to patent/copyright/whatever the rules of a game. I collect game rule book compendiums in addition to board games. Most of them come with instructions on how to make these classic games and examples of homebrew components. It's quite fascinating the number of games you can play with only a deck of cards:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Poison Mushroom posted:

There was another mini-boom when Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon got real big in the mid 2000s. I distinctly remember playing, aside from the popular ones like DBZ and Naruto, a Gash/Zatch Bell card game, a Dragon Booster CCG, and a loving History Channel trading card game.

I have an unopened box of Spongebob Squarepants the card game from 2004/2005ish, along with a precon deck.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Just got my shipping notice from CSI for my Dungeon Lords Anniversary, cool, good. Ain't afraid of no customs.

Played a few games of Samurai Spirit over the weekend. Won both times on Normal without really any danger, which had me wondering if we were doing it wrong, but we checked the rules obsessively and I think we just had a good deal of plunderers. You can use your own Kiai every time on your turn, right? And if you support, the other person has to give back the support token at the end of their turn?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I have an unopened box of Spongebob Squarepants the card game from 2004/2005ish, along with a precon deck.

Anyone want to play the Harry Potter tcg?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
What's the goonpinion on Euphoria? There is a guy who brings it to board games night every week and the visuals are very compelling but there's just so many dice. What else is new and cool? I feel like I should buy something new but I don't know what has come out lately besides a few things (King of New York, Castles of Mad King Ludwig).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

goodness posted:

Anyone want to play the Harry Potter tcg?

Why would I play that when I can play the American Idol CCG?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Deathlove posted:

Just got my shipping notice from CSI for my Dungeon Lords Anniversary, cool, good. Ain't afraid of no customs.

Dungeon Lords owns so much. I'm getting to the point where I can just about construct my gameplan from the opening monster/room/orders setup and it's like seeing the matrix, the skill curve is really satisfying.

Never forget Tom Vasel's opinion of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8k9Auuw5g&t=18s

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

unpronounceable posted:

Why would I play that when I can play the American Idol CCG?

I was going to make a dumb joke about Downton Abbey having a CCG because I was sure that you were making this up.

But this is a thing that exists :stonk:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

EvilChameleon posted:

What's the goonpinion on Euphoria? There is a guy who brings it to board games night every week and the visuals are very compelling but there's just so many dice. What else is new and cool? I feel like I should buy something new but I don't know what has come out lately besides a few things (King of New York, Castles of Mad King Ludwig).

I liked Euphoria a lot the one I played it. It's a worker placement game where your workers are dice and high numbers (of and on dice) are both good and bad. I think it's actually really cleverly designed and I wish it wasn't out of print and infinite dollars because I'd really like to play it again.

I would highly recommend giving it a shot if you get the chance.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Dungeon Lords owns so much. I'm getting to the point where I can just about construct my gameplan from the opening monster/room/orders setup and it's like seeing the matrix, the skill curve is really satisfying.

Never forget Tom Vasel's opinion of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8k9Auuw5g&t=18s

That video is indicative of so much wrong with the hobby.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Prairie Bus posted:

That video is indicative of so much wrong with the hobby.

Kind of rad that the one guy starts with Cosmic Encounter.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Some Numbers posted:

I liked Euphoria a lot the one I played it. It's a worker placement game where your workers are dice and high numbers (of and on dice) are both good and bad. I think it's actually really cleverly designed and I wish it wasn't out of print and infinite dollars because I'd really like to play it again.

2nd edition printing of Euphoria should hit stores in March, if not sooner. I got a post-kickstarter signed copy on order, and apparently the pallet(s) of games to be signed have already been shipped to Jamey to sign.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bubble-T posted:

Every time Tom Vasel complains that Dungeon Lords isn't a game about dungeon crawling, my brain bleeds out of my ear in an attempt to escape.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
"That's not fun." - Tom Vasel, in reference to an excited description of the Galaxy Trucker ship construction round.

Also, "all [Vlaada's] games are the same." Christ.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quintin Smith posted:

I trust The Dice Tower

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I've not played as many games as most people in this thread, but this is exactly how I feel about it as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

I'm watching this from the start and I love that the one guy when Cosmic into 7 Wonders and was basking in the hate.

Edit: and then he goes Zombicide! I'm okay with this.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

parasyte posted:

Kind of rad that the one guy starts with Cosmic Encounter.

Ironically that's the worst of the three, Sam Healy

Broken Loose posted:

"That's not fun." - Tom Vasel, in reference to an excited description of the Galaxy Trucker ship construction round.

That's also Sam. God he's terrible.

Zee only wanting the building part of Galaxy Trucker encapsulates him pretty well, it wouldn't even be a game. He just doesn't want to feel bad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Ironically that's the worst of the three, Sam Healy

That's also Sam. God he's terrible.

Zee only wanting the building part of Galaxy Trucker encapsulates him pretty well, it wouldn't even be a game. He just doesn't want to feel bad.

He's the worst of them? That's disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man, the whole idea of doing a top 10 overrated games thing just kind or rubs me the wrong way, especially when you're going to do it to just poo poo on games you don't like.