Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

loss.gov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

seriously though, that's got to be the most unsatisfying death in the show. They pulled an Amy with him and he had way more development than her.

"I bet you $50 we can make a death more pointless than Dale's."

"You are loving ON. And I'll stretch the dumb death out for a whole episode if you give me another $50."

DrVenkman posted:

Genuinely don't get the complaints. Tyrese doesn't go out like a boss but who gives a gently caress, he goes out in a way that's appropriate for that character.

I totally think the guy who could get mad and level 30 zombies with his bare hands was incapable of kicking a small child or taking an elderly looking zombie in a fist fight.

You see, when he dropped the Hammer, you were supposed to catch on apparently he's from Asgard and the only reason he's not a pussy that a zombie Chihuahua could beat was the hammer, I guess.

Un-l337-Pork posted:

This episode had zombies and killing, but all of the bullshit "emotional", "internal struggle" stuff has no place in this show at all.

Aside from the makeup, this show seems like it graduated from the Video Copilot school of effects.

A lot of people who gave this episode huge reviews are insisting that all this was "to show how the zombie virus works when you're bitten."

I don't know where they're getting that. The episode was bullshit trippy BEFORE Coach got bit, and not one of the voices in his head was encouraging him to move out and attack anything. I would have been OK with watching a survivor get bit, then fade from themselves to zombie madness, but that isn't what happened here at all.

They're just making excuses for making a poo poo student film.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 9, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Jesus, do goons even watch this show?????? Not at all what was said.

Several people quickly corrected him, and he posted again that he misheard the line, so...

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I liked the episode. Am I broken?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Un-l337-Pork posted:

This episode had zombies and killing, but all of the bullshit "emotional", "internal struggle" stuff has no place in this show at all.

Eh, I like the emotional struggles because part of having a drama is you need character development and an overall interest in these people that we have been following from season to season. The problem with this show is that it can't balance the two sides. I don't want to watch mindless zombie killing for an hour, but I also don't want boring-as-gently caress dialogue. It's a fine line finding that balance, the show has done OK with it a couple of times, but like we saw in the last episode too much of it can be a bad thing.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I don't get why posters keep expecting meaningful deaths in a world full of zombie tooth hazards and assholes with guns.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tailored Sauce posted:

Eh, I like the emotional struggles because part of having a drama is you need character development. The problem with this show is that it can't balance the two sides. I don't want to watch mindless zombie killing for an hour, but I also don't want boring-as-gently caress dialogue. It's a fine line finding that balance, the show has done OK with it a couple of times, but like we saw in the last episode too much of it can be a bad thing.

The problem is you need to tie this stuff together: Tyreese dying was fine. Him dying bringing about character development was fine. Had he had a goal, or objective, that he was trying to complete or some kind of important thing to regret, that might have worked. If it was tied to any story in anyway. Or even if it was a shock death. Case in point: When a major character was bitten in the Telltale game, it was used for major character and dramatic moments that made it actually satisfying.

Problem is it was literally a "Oh, he got bit? Wait, what? He's not immediately going to the garage or walking with Noah after being bit by a little kid when we've seen people keep moving with far worse? Wait, now he can't even fight a worthless zombie?"

Remy Marathe posted:

I don't get why posters keep expecting meaningful deaths in a world full of zombie tooth hazards and assholes with guns.

You can do meaningful and satisfying without heroic.

I keep bringing up Game of Thrones because on that show they can kill someone for the dumbest loving reason in-story, but still make it entertaining. Tyreese on the other hand was pretty much on part with Rambo suddenly getting killed by a kid with a hunting knife, but even without the self-awareness to realize just how dumb that is, so it's not even a "Man that was dumb of me!" kind of thing.

Remy Marathe posted:

The sad part is if the episode had actually been about what happens to a character in their head after they get bit, and it was filmed like a normal episode with a normal tone until he got bit, and then they were actively screwing with him to get him aggressive, I'd been a lot more forgiving of it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 9, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I liked it.

I think tyreese froze up with the pictures as he realised how hosed up it was that a young child was eaten alive by his own best buddy twin brother. Though I agree ninja zombies are BS.

Reddit has combed through the ep. Wolves seems to be the motif - graffiti, 'W' zombie torsos, etc.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
With a name like "Wolves", I'm expecting a gang of grenade launcher-toting 13-year-olds.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

With a name like "Wolves", I'm expecting a gang of grenade launcher-toting 13-year-olds.

I, too, would like to follow Red Dawn II: Wolverines versus Zombies.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

A lot of people who gave this episode huge reviews are insisting that all this was "to show how the zombie virus works when you're bitten."

I don't know where they're getting that. The episode was bullshit trippy BEFORE Coach got bit, and not one of the voices in his head was encouraging him to move out and attack anything. I would have been OK with watching a survivor get bit, then fade from themselves to zombie madness, but that isn't what happened here at all.

They're just making excuses for making a poo poo student film.

If Tyreese had started hallucinating people as walking mounds of ground beef, it would've been a good episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway as bad as this was I think Beth's death is still worse.

To this day I don't even know what the writers thought she was thinking. Speaking of the games, the whole thing felt like the "If you pick this option for a laugh, you'll die and have to reset" moment. You know, "Woops, I didn't mean to click on the scissors!"

I honestly cannot picture any character we've ever seen on the show, even Merle, being stupid enough to try something like that.

ED: I am serious, too. I have no idea what the character was trying to accomplish with that, or why she'd decide it was a good idea. It was just .. what the gently caress.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Especially when at this point everyone has tons of experience stabbing things in the head, and it wouldn't have hurt the arc one bit to have her actually successfully kill Dawn with scissors to the temple before getting her own head blown off at the same time.

It sounds like it's not meaningful deaths you want, but a show that uses good writing to make the deaths a plausible consequence of plausible motivations, and uses it to further develop the character's story, or otherwise entertain. I can't disagree but after 4.5 seasons of this show I don't understand why in god's name you would look for it here. It's not a smartly written show. It does have zombies and is slightly more entertaining than midget reality TV.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I would've probably dug Beth's death scene if she had stabbed her in the neck, but oh well, they chose to go about it in the worst way.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I can't tell if I was somehow missing something but what the hell were the hallucinations talking about? That it's "better now" or "pay the bill" or whatever. I typically feel like I can follow the attempts at cohesion in this show but the entire time I was at a loss. I hope that with Tyreese leaving the show Chad Coleman can find some better roles. I like the dude a lot.

Also googling for reviews on the episode are hilarious. Critics are falling over themselves to out sensationalize each other. It is like the Emperor's New Clothes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

It sounds like it's not meaningful deaths you want, but a show that uses good writing to make the deaths a plausible consequence of plausible motivations, and uses it to further develop the character's story, or otherwise entertain. I can't disagree but after 4.5 seasons of this show I don't understand why in god's name you would look for it here. It's not a smartly written show. It does have zombies and is slightly more entertaining than midget reality TV.

Well, I started watching again because people said the latter prison arc was entertaining and it was, and the Terminus arc was entertaining so I kept watching. So I'm comparing my entertainment/quality level strictly with those parts, not Season 2 when I quit.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Especially when at this point everyone has tons of experience stabbing things in the head, and it wouldn't have hurt the arc one bit to have her actually successfully kill Dawn with scissors to the temple before getting her own head blown off at the same time.

The whole hospital arc was poorly written and the motivations of the characters were never really fleshed out. Like it would be perfectly reasonable for a group of adults to prevent a teenager from walking around alone in the apocalypse. Pretty sure cops would do that if it was just a hurricane or earthquake or something too. Then they put in rapecop to establish that yes, they are Bad People. But apparently that was just one guy. The modus operandi is to run people over and then keep them around to do dry cleaning - even though most people would probably be happy to have a safe place to live and three squares a day in exhange for light janitorial duties. Nothing makes any sense.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think they should've tranq'd people instead of hitting them with cars. Beth finding a mysterious small hole under a bandage on her back or something would've been eerie.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Anosmoman posted:

The whole hospital arc was poorly written and the motivations of the characters were never really fleshed out. Like it would be perfectly reasonable for a group of adults to prevent a teenager from walking around alone in the apocalypse. Pretty sure cops would do that if it was just a hurricane or earthquake or something too. Then they put in rapecop to establish that yes, they are Bad People. But apparently that was just one guy. The modus operandi is to run people over and then keep them around to do dry cleaning - even though most people would probably be happy to have a safe place to live and three squares a day in exhange for light janitorial duties. Nothing makes any sense.
Agreed 100%, the hospital world and the characters in it made absolutely zero sense. It was like an Aaron Spelling series, the words were there but they didn't fit into any semblance of meaning.

JossiRossi posted:

I can't tell if I was somehow missing something but what the hell were the hallucinations talking about? That it's "better now" or "pay the bill" or whatever. I typically feel like I can follow the attempts at cohesion in this show but the entire time I was at a loss. I hope that with Tyreese leaving the show Chad Coleman can find some better roles. I like the dude a lot.

Also googling for reviews on the episode are hilarious. Critics are falling over themselves to out sensationalize each other. It is like the Emperor's New Clothes.

The way I read it was Tyreese had two conflicts going on- the fight to live and stay with the struggles in the world (the radio broadcast), versus letting go and dying (Mikka and Lizzie endorsing a peaceful afterlife). The second conflict was deciding whether he had made mistakes with his life, specifically whether his pacifism had caused deaths. Bob's take was nah man, everything happens as it must and there's no mistake to repent. The cannibal guy obviously was pushing the opposing view.

The governor was an awkward fifth wheel cameo, and while it might make sense that the governor would take issue with Tyreese betraying his post to let the main cast into Woodbury, this is Tyreese's brain and there's no indication that Tyreese was ever that conflicted about it (and the decision was unambiguously vindicated by later events) so I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking with that. His lines should've been given to cannibal rear end in a top hat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JossiRossi posted:

No clue about "better now" but the "pay the bill" thing was about how Tyrese and Sasha said they'd do anything when they were let into Woodbury.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I understand this artsy stuff. In the opening scene, they're showing that Eugene and Rick are one of the same, they're both in a bad episode

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

No clue about "better now" but the "pay the bill" thing was about how Tyrese and Sasha said they'd do anything when they were let into Woodbury.

that and the termite saying that Tyrese isn't the kind of guy who would do anything, that there is a limit to what he is willing to do because he's the type to save a baby.

that's all well and good but it has absolutely nothing to do with getting your arm eaten by a twin. I'm trying to make it all fit but it doesn't. Something about how one twin was undead but the other was just eaten as a parallel to how Sasha thrives in the post apocalypse (as evidenced by her willingness to savagely kill the termites) whereas tyrese's goodwill is just feasted on. idk it's a huge stretch but that's the best I've been able to do.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I just wanted to hear more of the radio broadcast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GrAviTy84 posted:

that and the termite saying that Tyrese isn't the kind of guy who would do anything, that there is a limit to what he is willing to do because he's the type to save a baby.

that's all well and good but it has absolutely nothing to do with getting your arm eaten by a twin. I'm trying to make it all fit but it doesn't. Something about how one twin was undead but the other was just eaten as a parallel to how Sasha thrives in the post apocalypse (as evidenced by her willingness to savagely kill the termites) whereas tyrese's goodwill is just feasted on. idk it's a huge stretch but that's the best I've been able to do.

He said he'd be willing to do anything. He didn't realize what that truly meant, and the whole point with the cannibal guy is that he isn't willing to in a world where you seemingly need to and everyone else is. He's grappling with that while he's dying. He wants the radio turned off at the end because he no longer wants to be a citizen of that world. He doesn't want to do what it takes for it.

The only thing I can think of for the "it's better now" is that it's the part of him trying to just give up and let it all end, like it's "better now" he doesn't have to deal with it anymore? I don't know.

e: I also don't know why he cared so much about that picture.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 10, 2015

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Radio Broadcast Transcript

quote:

At least 68 citizens of the republic have been killed in four deadly attacks along the main coastal district. The group has continued their campaign of random violence, moving across the countryside unfettered with the republic's military forces in disarray.
…then terrorizing the village by night, carrying out revenge attacks involving hacking innocents with machetes and, in some cases, setting them on fire.
There have been troubling reports of cannibalism having broken out in refugee camps along the republic's transportation corridor. And despite the string of victories by rebel forces, there are disturbing reports of increasing the brutality of their tactics including the wholesale destruction of villages, burning down local prisons, targeting of civilians, and even the widespread mutilation of children and young mothers. And this seems like only the beginning of their campaign that they label as an endless war against…

Found a full transcript after googling the first sentence. Apparently the broadcaster is actually Andrew Lincoln not putting on a drawl. It definitely reads as a reflection of the things Tyreese has been a part of as well as (likely) Rwanda broadcasts he was hearing on the news in his dad's car.

It is too bad that this is probably the most interesting part of the whole episode, the rest was kind of a wash.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Preview for next episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWdlPXZUj6w&t=79s

YOU WANNA RUN WITH THE PACK

Al Nipper fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 10, 2015

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I made Rick plant the stupid gun

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Now that Glenn has the bat and is losing it I would like to see him turned into Negan. Break him off from the group give him some time to harden and later on have a big bad showdown with Rick instead of the stereotypical comicbook villan we are going to get.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GrAviTy84 posted:

seriously though, that's got to be the most unsatisfying death in the show. They pulled an Amy with him and he had way more development than her.
Yeah that was my main problem. It should have been earned, but instead he ends up dead from being stupid and not actually checking a room first. Even after he had already heard a zombie in the other room making noise.

Seconding the complaints that this was also a weird way to come back from break. First off, you didn't really explain very well thanks to the terrible direction, that the group decided to take Noah up to his parents' house. Then you spend almost the entire episode with Tyreese slowly dying with no real impact or anything. I really didn't like how for most of the episode he was pretty determined not to give up, but then in the last 2 minutes or whatever just peaces out because....reasons. Just a really terrible character death for someone that they never really figured out what to do with. I think Bob somehow got better character moments (and a better death) than Tyreese, which is sad, because I think Bob was also pretty wasted.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I genuinely liked the campy weirdness in this episode and yes it definitely failed at being artsy but it succeeded in being funny. I don't care if that was intended or not. I had fun watching Rude Ghosts and the Spooky Radio. Two really dumb character deaths in a row though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, what a letdown of an episode. I should have known better to get my hopes up after that actually pretty decent first half of the season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

as well as (likely) Rwanda broadcasts he was hearing on the news in his dad's car.

Main coastal district in Rwanda, though?

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I liked the slow death of Tyreese after the fast death of Beth as kinda bookends and this is a garbage thread full of garbage people.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
For the first time an episode failed to outperform the same-numbered episode from the previous season, which means we may have achieved Peak Walking Dead.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

did that last year ep 9 outperform the season finale? looks close but i think it did

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

joeburz posted:

did that last year ep 9 outperform the season finale? looks close but i think it did

Yes it did, 15.8 mil. to 15.68 mil. according to wiki.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
e: cant read

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That episode was really good.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that was my main problem. It should have been earned, but instead he ends up dead from being stupid and not actually checking a room first. Even after he had already heard a zombie in the other room making noise.

This is probably my biggest problem with his death. You'd think that after all this time checking the area and killing any zombies in it before doing anything would be second nature, but time and again the group hasn't done it. And time and again it has come back to bite them, literally.

I get that they can't kill every zombie they come across, but you'd think they would do it in enclosed spaces like houses unless it is literally overrun with them. The house had two zombies in it, just take the 30 seconds to kill them before you go staring stupidly at a picture on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TMMadman posted:

This is probably my biggest problem with his death. You'd think that after all this time checking the area and killing any zombies in it before doing anything would be second nature, but time and again the group hasn't done it. And time and again it has come back to bite them, literally.

I get that they can't kill every zombie they come across, but you'd think they would do it in enclosed spaces like houses unless it is literally overrun with them. The house had two zombies in it, just take the 30 seconds to kill them before you go staring stupidly at a picture on the wall.
He even looked at the closed door that had a zombie clearly moving and groaning behind it.

• Locked thread