Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If anyone wants a One Plus One for whatever reason, they'll be selling them without an invite every Tuesday, starting tomorrow.

Why the gently caress do they not just sell the phone outright at this point lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Does anyone else have an Air Dock? I got one from a fellow goon and was really looking forward to it but honestly I'm quite disappointed with it. I don't have room on my dash and it's illegal in MN to have anything on the windshield and it seems so far aways anyways so I got myself the CD slot mount. Well that broke after 5 minutes because of the weight of the charger and phone. Not too happy with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Why the gently caress do they not just sell the phone outright at this point lol.

Because then they wouldn't get free blogger headlines every few weeks or so to remind idiots their lovely phones exist.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Maybe their PR people are PUAs and think they need to build *~mystique~* around their product just to stay afloat.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

No way, I still miss the curved edges on the 4. Holding out for a 2015 Nexus 4 with a 4.7" 1920x1152 screen. And a sparkle back.
You must have longer fingers than me. The thicker body and noticeably thicker sides make it so can't can't both put my fingers on the left edge and use my thumb to reach the top and left side of the screen. The N5 on the other hand I can do fine (although I sometimes have to readjust my grip to reach the thankfully little-used Up button). I do think stylistically the Nexus 5 is quite boring but the perfect notification light makes up for it.

I probably have a mental disorder though because I can't help but feel that the Nexus S looked and felt the best in-hand. It was slicker than snot, never worked right, lacked a notification light, and had a screen that was only equalled in its dismal color representation by its lack of longevity and poor resolution but I can't help but feel nostalgic for it. It felt and looked so nice and was nigh indestructable.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Skeezy posted:

Especially with the Zenfone 2 coming out next month for those who want a phone with good specs for a decent price. :iiam:

I wonder if OnePlus will do this with their successor phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I do think stylistically the Nexus 5 is quite boring but the perfect notification light makes up for it.
Not perfect, it cannot do always-on for some reason.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

You must have longer fingers than me. The thicker body and noticeably thicker sides make it so can't can't both put my fingers on the left edge and use my thumb to reach the top and left side of the screen. The N5 on the other hand I can do fine (although I sometimes have to readjust my grip to reach the thankfully little-used Up button). I do think stylistically the Nexus 5 is quite boring but the perfect notification light makes up for it.
You always mention this but the Nexus 5 has both a wider screen and body than the 4 did in addition to being much taller. I'll agree that the 4 could be thinner, but I did a side-by-side comparison the other day and the 4 was noticeably easier for me to use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Not perfect, it cannot do always-on for some reason.
I'm a pulse guy though I have the timing so that it only switches off for a millisecond. I meant more that it's visible but not overly bright and completely invisible when off. The Galaxy Nexus you could see the well the LED sat in because there wasn't enough shading in the glass around it and the Nexus 4's is far too dim.

butt dickus posted:

You always mention this but the Nexus 5 has both a wider screen and body than the 4 did in addition to being much taller. I'll agree that the 4 could be thinner, but I did a side-by-side comparison the other day and the 4 was noticeably easier for me to use.
My hands are shaped wrong... :negative:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Lblitzer posted:

Does anyone else have an Air Dock? I got one from a fellow goon and was really looking forward to it but honestly I'm quite disappointed with it. I don't have room on my dash and it's illegal in MN to have anything on the windshield and it seems so far aways anyways so I got myself the CD slot mount. Well that broke after 5 minutes because of the weight of the charger and phone. Not too happy with it.
Mine has the long neck mount to the windshield. Works great. Don't think it's ever dropped my N5, though it once overheated the phone (hot day, doing nav and music streaming while charging).

Actually the biggest issue is I'll sometimes forget to grab my phone from it when I get home.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Because NEVER SETTLE for the status quo, maaaaaaan.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is it inevitable with any sort of Android phone for Android to throw out the contents of tabs you aren't looking at and have to re-render/refresh a tab when you switch tabs? I have a Galaxy Nexus and this happens with the stock browser, Chrome, and Firefox, and it's absolutely infuriating. Googling the issue turned up little real information but a lot of flame wars, "creepy"pasta, Engrish, and conspiracy theories. The closest I came to finding an answer was some post that talked about how Android has extremely aggressive memory management, even when the system is nowhere close to being out of memory, and Android doesn't have virtual memory of any kind because of reasons.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Is it inevitable with any sort of Android phone for Android to throw out the contents of tabs you aren't looking at and have to re-render/refresh a tab when you switch tabs?
There are some issues on Lollipop which can cause this sort of thing to happen, which is probably what you read about.

However, your problem has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the fact that you are still using a Galaxy Nexus in 2015. It's time to upgrade.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Motorola $140 off $499+ code:

SWEET-FEKD-7IMG-DLC6-ER9F

Enjoy, goons.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is there anything else I need to do besides a factory reset before I sell my Samsung s3 on craigslist?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Personally, I always encrypt first, then factory wipe.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Personally, I always encrypt first, then factory wipe.

This. Keeps creeps from rooting and installing disk digger on the first boot.

Hard reset is nice and easy but the data is still there.

Never sell a used SD card. Data is all still there and easily recoverable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thanks for the quick replies! I had already wiped it but I figured that wouldn't be sufficient. Encrypted and wiped again

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
If I format and then fill an SD card to capacity with dick pics, does it overwrite all sectors enough to make any old data unrecoverable? How about the all of the user accessible internal storage on a phone with no SD card?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

If I format and then fill an SD card to capacity with dick pics, does it overwrite all sectors enough to make any old data unrecoverable? How about the all of the user accessible internal storage on a phone with no SD card?

Yeah you wouldn't want some creepy stalker to start calling the anime club

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Lblitzer posted:

drat autocorrect.

The Nexus 5 while being a good jump from the N4 has terrible battery life. The new Moto X is also an excellent device but again not that great in terms of battery life. Not to dissuade you from going those routes because honestly they're great phones outside of the poor battery. The Xperia devices are run by magic and the compact is one of the longest lasting devices atm.

Is this a Nexus 5 problem or a lollipop thing? I bought mine used and it barely makes it half the day with light use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

Is this a Nexus 5 problem or a lollipop thing? I bought mine used and it barely makes it half the day with light use.
While for me the battery life of the Nexus 5 has decreased somewhat under Lollipop, some say they have trouble making it through the day. I've never had much trouble but I'm also not what you'd call a heavy user. As an example, I never ran out of battery on my GSM Galaxy Nexus so that should tell you how light a user I am.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

While for me the battery life of the Nexus 5 has decreased somewhat under Lollipop, some say they have trouble making it through the day. I've never had much trouble but I'm also not what you'd call a heavy user. As an example, I never ran out of battery on my GSM Galaxy Nexus so that should tell you how light a user I am.
My N5 never lasts the day, but my particular usage case involves lengthy periods of shitposting these very forums while sitting on the john in work.

e: seriously though, the battery life is loving terrible. I've dicked around on my phone for about 50 mins absolute max (between morning commute, toilet, checking texts), and its now 4pm and my battery is at 20%. gently caress you Google.

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 10, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Lollipop FINALLY launched today on the AT&T G3, downloading now, 689.53MB, downloading slow as a turd on a FIOS business connection.

edit: Jesus, gently caress you AT&T, over an hour to download on your slow as poo poo server, reboots and says failed, try again in 24 hours. Set my clock forward and trying again but this is bullshit.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 10, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Especially with the Zenfone 2 coming out next month for those who want a phone with good specs for a decent price. :iiam:

I'm really curious to see how the Zenfone 2 turns out. On paper it's mid-shelf specs for the price of a Moto G. Presumably because intel and Asus are trying to buy market share. I'm in the 5% of americans who would benefit from a dual-sim phone (I carry a personal phone and a work phone), so if it doesn't suck I'll probably pick one up.

In other budget handset news, HTC is apparently releasing a Moto G rival. Looks like it has slightly better specs than the G's.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My boss' Droid Bionic finally got the Ol' Yeller treatment it has so richly deserved for so long. Verizon is currently offering a free upgrade to an LG G3, but $100 for a black Moto X (only $50 for the football leather backed one), or $150 for the Droid Turbo, which were the three phones I was going to recommend to him.

Reviews on the G3 seem to be pretty positive; what's the thread consensus, since if I tell him that one's free, it's probably the one he'll go for?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I'd recommend the Turbo. The extra battery life is super handy and it's just all around a solid device. It's something he'll presumably be keeping for awhile and Motorola seems pretty solid on updates as well which is nice so $150 is pretty cheap.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

I'd recommend the Turbo. The extra battery life is super handy and it's just all around a solid device. It's something he'll presumably be keeping for awhile and Motorola seems pretty solid on updates as well which is nice so $150 is pretty cheap.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Moto X and the Droid Turbo, which is why I figured I'd recommend them. I think for the extra $50, yeah, totally the Turbo.

I'd never heard of the G3 before, but it seems like for free it's a hell of a phone. Oh, and I'm definitely open to other recommendations, they just have to be phones available on-contract with Verizon. The other free phones I was looking at were the Droid MAXX and Galaxy S4, but I'm betting the G3 beats them out substantially.

Weirdly, the G2 is $30.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Verizon's G2 is a special snowflake so even if that was the cheapest option, it would totally be the worst.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Turbo all day and twice on sunday.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bob A Feet posted:

Turbo all day and twice on sunday.

Agreed

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Moto X and the Droid Turbo, which is why I figured I'd recommend them. I think for the extra $50, yeah, totally the Turbo.

I'd never heard of the G3 before, but it seems like for free it's a hell of a phone. Oh, and I'm definitely open to other recommendations, they just have to be phones available on-contract with Verizon. The other free phones I was looking at were the Droid MAXX and Galaxy S4, but I'm betting the G3 beats them out substantially.

Weirdly, the G2 is $30.

I had a MAXX before the Turbo, and $free would be a great price for it. Awesome phone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have talked him into the Turbo. I'm jealous, but I'll manage.

It's not like having to continue living with my awesome Nexus 5 will be the end of the world.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The G3 does seem like a good phone for the price (unlocked it is several hundred dollars cheaper than any of the other flagships) but it does suffer from some infuriating issues with software, and while the screen may have heaps of resolution and looks pretty good it definitely isn't what I'd call great.

As a total aside this is definitely the worst screen burn I've seen:

Display Galaxy S5. You'd think Samsung would have noticed by now and designed a demo reel that avoids this from happening.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
I got a Bamboo Swapstyle invite for the OnePlus. Don't own one anymore. First PM gets the code.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm kinda surprised they don't make LCD variants just for showfloor stuff.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
My G3 is on Lollipop now, love smart unlock and the lock screen notification but didn't Google say OEMs didn't have to use the retarded new buttons? Why LG?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

dissss posted:

As a total aside this is definitely the worst screen burn I've seen:

Display Galaxy S5. You'd think Samsung would have noticed by now and designed a demo reel that avoids this from happening.

Hey I used to set those up at Best Buy stores! There totally was a demo video installed on our devices to avoid burn in, and it worked so well that it pretty much interfered with customers using them because it enabled after 5 seconds if you didn't use it!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

False Toaster posted:

I got a Bamboo Swapstyle invite for the OnePlus. Don't own one anymore. First PM gets the code.

They're seriously doing invites for the loving accessories too??

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

My N5 never lasts the day, but my particular usage case involves lengthy periods of shitposting these very forums while sitting on the john in work.

e: seriously though, the battery life is loving terrible. I've dicked around on my phone for about 50 mins absolute max (between morning commute, toilet, checking texts), and its now 4pm and my battery is at 20%. gently caress you Google.

I browse the forums on the Awful App on my way to work and spend most of the day talking to friends on Kik and since updating to Lollipop it's been absolutely murdering my battery. The phone noticeably heats up just from using Kik or Instagram and by the time I finish work I'm normally on <5% battery.

edit - my phone is a Nexus 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
My N5 has terrible battery life with Lollipop, can't quite believe that google have releases the update and left it this long with obvious bugs like this.

Would not recommend it to anyone right now, though its been fine since release.