Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Night10194 posted:

What happens if you get wiped by the tutorial bandits?
You get two more replacements in the stage coach so you can field a full party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

enraged_camel posted:

Do the mid-combat speech bubbles annoy the hell out of anyone else? They were cute and funny at first, but after playing for a while, I'm finding that they become especially unbearable when someone in the party reaches 100 stress and gains an affliction. It really, really ruins the flow of combat because you have to wait until they finish talking before you can give orders (or before they carry out given orders), and I've honestly quit to desktop out of frustration more than once because of it.

Must be hard to have the ADHD affliction. They probably should make it an option though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rascyc posted:

You get two more replacements in the stage coach so you can field a full party.

Yeah, it just pretends you succeded. It even gives a "victory!" screen. :v:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
The main currency in this game is the player's time, so it's pretty hard having to sit through the same two-second flavor text thousands of times. Even in "take-twenty" situations like trying to use a healing item on a masochistic character between battles, you have to hear the loving refusal multiple times. It doesn't effect gameplay, it doesn't add any more atmosphere than it would to show the text without delaying anything. It just makes me finish high-stress dungeons ten minutes later than low-stress ones. High stress is already penalized by greater healing costs and risk of failure, but the delay feels like an unnecessary additional penalty.

I wonder if you can set the "extra bark time" option to a negative number.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Obviously they should make it a gameplay feature. For the cost of some stress you can eliminate all dialogue from a character.

By cutting out their tongue.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They already decreased it once. Probably won't be the last time either.

Personally I wish the speeches for when you go to fight a boss would go away. Let my SSD sing!!!!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ErIog posted:

I know this is a crazy thought, but not everybody wants to loving sourcedive the game and spoil everything for themselves. You could have just answered his question instead of basically just telling him to RTFM that's in the OP already.

Well, he wanted to know what they did, and I said that the link contained -every possible curio and interaction-, so I was just one sentence away from writing spoilers ahead, really. I can't remember all the curios myself, should I have gone through all of them by myself? Without telling everything anyway?

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Lotish posted:

Whoever was complaining about the Mac version, the latest update says

Dear Red Hook,

Thank you! <3

Yours sincerely,
Still a filthy mac user

The only thing I found tough in this game is doing low light runs and boss fights. The first fight against a boss almost always goes tragically. Even subsequent fights, where you are more prepared can surprise you, or worse yet, if you have a bad run of crits from an earlier fight and you're weakened when heading into the boss fight. The hag is the worst I think - first time she went 3 times in a row really surprised me and I just barely escaped without losing anyone.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I don't personally find the "dialogue" that fun or interesting, it's pretty annoying, yeah. I just like how hard the game is.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Anatharon posted:

Yeah, it just pretends you succeded. It even gives a "victory!" screen. :v:

Maybe you were the bandits all along :tinfoil:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Me and my friend created a guide that details all the quirks, afflictions and virtues of Darkest Dungeon!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386683786

Hope it helps! It gives percentages of the chance of things happening when afflicted or virtued, as well as a list of all the quirks and what they do!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

THE BAR posted:

Well, he wanted to know what they did, and I said that the link contained -every possible curio and interaction-, so I was just one sentence away from writing spoilers ahead, really. I can't remember all the curios myself, should I have gone through all of them by myself? Without telling everything anyway?

I thought you signposted it well enough. I was just annoyed that he asked some vague questions, and the flippant response was "here, just read these spoilers"

It's a bedside manner issue. Like how if you're playing an adventure game like Grim Fandango sometimes you don't want a full spoiler. Sometimes you just want a hint. Dunno what he wanted exactly. Maybe he's happy. I was just bumped by the tone a little bit.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ErIog posted:

I thought you signposted it well enough. I was just annoyed that he asked some vague questions, and the flippant response was "here, just read these spoilers"

It's a bedside manner issue. Like how if you're playing an adventure game like Grim Fandango sometimes you don't want a full spoiler. Sometimes you just want a hint. Dunno what he wanted exactly. Maybe he's happy. I was just bumped by the tone a little bit.

I wanted to give him the most thorough answer possible, it wasn't meant to be snide or anything. At all. :(

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is there anything at all I can do for my Highwayman who inexplicably has a huge penalty to accuracy and damage despite having neither quirks that influence either of those stats, nor any trinkets equipped? Despite being level 2, he's basically useless with his 70% accuracy and 3-7 damage range. Grapeshot does 1-2 damage, which would be pathetic even at level 0. I really want to use him, but at this point I'm at a loss.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Time_pants posted:

Is there anything at all I can do for my Highwayman who inexplicably has a huge penalty to accuracy and damage despite having neither quirks that influence either of those stats, nor any trinkets equipped? Despite being level 2, he's basically useless with his 70% accuracy and 3-7 damage range. Grapeshot does 1-2 damage, which would be pathetic even at level 0. I really want to use him, but at this point I'm at a loss.

There's a bug that causes the stat penalties from Death's Door status to not be removed properly if you leave the dungeon while a character is at Death's Door. Taking that character back into a dungeon and getting them out alive should fix it.

Some kinds of stress removal can also randomly cause stat penalties, but either way the cure is the same: you gotta do a dungeon run with 'em.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Revitalized posted:

Me and my friend created a guide that details all the quirks, afflictions and virtues of Darkest Dungeon!

Hope it helps! It gives percentages of the chance of things happening when afflicted or virtued, as well as a list of all the quirks and what they do!

Oh thanks, that's really useful.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just figured out Grapeshot is an AOE, goddammit. I'm so bad with this interface.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
So taking into consideration any combination of actual effectiveness and aesthetics, what would you guys say is your favourite class?

Weirdly enough mine is probably the Vestal. The gloomy gothic theme is a great placement for a warrior nun, any party which has one of my two good Vestals in it always seems to succeed but mostly I just love the BONG noise when you judge somebody.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Revitalized posted:

Nice!

Minor point, you have "Soft" listed as -5% HP, and if it behaves like everything else (same stat as the opposing trait, but negative) it should be -5 PROT.

EDIT: Oh, and Fated (no description in your table) is "Sometimes changes a MISS into a HIT" or something similar. I don't think I've seen an opposed trait.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 10, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

So taking into consideration any combination of actual effectiveness and aesthetics, what would you guys say is your favourite class?

Weirdly enough mine is probably the Vestal. The gloomy gothic theme is a great placement for a warrior nun, any party which has one of my two good Vestals in it always seems to succeed but mostly I just love the BONG noise when you judge somebody.

Leper, mainly for the aesthetic as their sword and armour is all battered and run down like them. Also when they take hits they just tank it with their chest, plus stuff like campfire skills as Quarantine and Bloody Shroud really fit so well.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

enraged_camel posted:

Do the mid-combat speech bubbles annoy the hell out of anyone else?

Probably not as strongly as you've described, but the current implementation is hilariously bad.

It's not like you fight in real-time - you're free to take as long as you want and read the dialogue 12 times over. If there was anything else happening on screen at the same time (i.e. you might miss the dialogue because your concentration is required elsewhere) then I could understand the design choice behind making you wait.

But there isn't, so it's dumb.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Leper, mainly for the aesthetic as their sword and armour is all battered and run down like them. Also when they take hits they just tank it with their chest, plus stuff like campfire skills as Quarantine and Bloody Shroud really fit so well.

I thought 'Let the Mask Down' or whatever was a pretty cool touch, it lowers their stress but freaks out their comrades. :(

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Enjoying this a lot so far, but agreed on the affliction speech bubbles; I can't see any reason for them to actually delay the action. Let characters do their talking while I'm giving murder directions and problem solved.

The only other issue I've run into is that UI elements seem to be click- transparent - if a character dies in battle you get a popup window to loot their stuff, but attempting to actually do that resulted in the battle continuing behind the loot window. This happened in the middle of a boss fight so that turned a salvageable loss into two more corpses pretty fast.

Class-wise I really like Occultists and Bounty Hunters; they go together well, too! Plague Doctors and Grave Robbers are great aesthetically but I've been unimpressed by their skillset so far. And of course everyone loves Lepers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Revitalized posted:

Looks like you accidentally put Photomania in there twice and put Back Tracker as a negative trait (it's positive).

Real awesome though. :D

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

finally got last two classes played, Graverobber and Leper. Initial impressions of Leper were "stronger than Crusader, less accuracy, uses heals instead of stuns, shittier camp skills" and I love having one as Crusader backup. Graverobber didn't seem to add much to the back row, the dagger attacks/blight infliction didn't seem as useful as having a Plague Doc or a Vestal or an Occultist. Is there something I'm missing on what makes Graverobber a good pick, because right now she just seems completely lackluster.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Nice!

Minor point, you have "Soft" listed as -5% HP, and if it behaves like everything else (same stat as the opposing trait, but negative) it should be -5 PROT.

EDIT: Oh, and Fated (no description in your table) is "Sometimes changes a MISS into a HIT" or something similar. I don't think I've seen an opposed trait.

I'm pretty sure Soft is -%HP since I remember having to cure it a few times.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

finally got last two classes played, Graverobber and Leper. Initial impressions of Leper were "stronger than Crusader, less accuracy, uses heals instead of stuns, shittier camp skills" and I love having one as Crusader backup. Graverobber didn't seem to add much to the back row, the dagger attacks/blight infliction didn't seem as useful as having a Plague Doc or a Vestal or an Occultist. Is there something I'm missing on what makes Graverobber a good pick, because right now she just seems completely lackluster.

The graverobber shines with lunge and fade. Throwing stuff is something you only do when you can't do something useful.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akumos posted:

I don't personally find the "dialogue" that fun or interesting, it's pretty annoying, yeah.

this game may have been a poor choice for you

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tollymain posted:

this game may have been a poor choice for you
Yeah, the dialogues when a character breaks down is generally good. Nothing beats the crusader starting to babble about how it's all his dad's fault and how the monsters should stop attacking the guy behind him because "he is just a child!".

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Thuryl posted:

There's a bug that causes the stat penalties from Death's Door status to not be removed properly if you leave the dungeon while a character is at Death's Door. Taking that character back into a dungeon and getting them out alive should fix it.

Some kinds of stress removal can also randomly cause stat penalties, but either way the cure is the same: you gotta do a dungeon run with 'em.

Just checked back in on him and it looks like he's back to normal. Thank God because that was unbelievably annoying. He was basically worthless. Worse than worthless, really, because he sucked up a whole bunch of resources without contributing anything of value whatsoever. I was about to cut him loose until I saw that he finally had his poo poo sorted today.

Glad that's over with, but I'm shocked that hasn't been addressed in a patch yet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can't wait till they add the last dungeon and high level characters are one shot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Can't wait till they add the last dungeon and high level characters are one shot.

Aren't there supposed to be some in town plot events coming too or did I imagine that?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

euphronius posted:

I want the cove, just for the fishmen. Also the highly likely Dagon boss.

vvvv i want to be able to sell the "precious" trinkets, even at 10% prices. If i need to unequip the trinkets from my characters before sending them lose some stress, i don't mind, i just want to be able to get ride of the "useless" ones without just getting ride of them for nothing.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 10, 2015

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I do hope that they retool the possibility of randomly losing trinkets between missions. That is just too cruel.

Losing trinkets when a hero is killed? Sure, that's the nature of the beast. But a completely random occurance over which you have basically no control? No way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, the dialogues when a character breaks down is generally good. Nothing beats the crusader starting to babble about how it's all his dad's fault and how the monsters should stop attacking the guy behind him because "he is just a child!".
You do get repeats after a bit though. It can be pretty annoying when you've got a couple different people speaking basically every turn saying things you've already seen and you can't do anything but wait.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea I can understand them wanting to have some potential negatives to stress relief activities, but losing trinkets is worse than basically anything else by far. An extra 1k gold, or a couple weeks without 1 guy? Not a big deal really. It is pretty easy to be sitting on way more gold and guys than you need, but a specific trinket is way more rare than those other things.

Is the bar the only one that loses trinkets? I'll probably just never use it, it isn't even that much cheaper than the other options.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Well, losing trinkets isn't that bad because odds are you're only gonna lose lovely trinkets. As far as I can tell you don't lose trinkets equipped, just ones in your stash, and by mid-game that's gonna be 95% trash.

Plus sometimes you can win good trinkets also.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well I got to the boss of the Warrens for the first time and it basically went like this:

"Oh hey, giant wall of HP and full Stun resist. Well he's clearly protecting that little vulnerable guy right behind him. I guess I'll go blow him up with some ranged attacks! Sweet, crit! That was easy-"

:stonk:

"Oh. Uh. Maybe I can still manage to retreat-"

:gibs:

But on the bright side all my second stringers now get a chance to shine as the glorious Main Party! What happened to the old one? Oh, not important, get on in there people we have a village to save.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I really hope there's an achievement for killing Wilbur first. Maybe called "That Was a Mistake".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

MinibarMatchman posted:

Graverobber gets high crit which is nice for keeping stress down. I've found her most effective as a mixed range and melee character that floats between slots 1-3. It does mean you need a party that is flexible with its placement. If you just use her purely as a back liner I think highwaymen are equal or better. She also has by far the best trap disarming chance in the game.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

It's hard to pick a favorite aesthetic since they are all really good. For functionality my favorite class is the Bounty Hunter. I always like Jack of all trades types even though in a lot of games they end up being bad. Bounty Hunters are far from being bad.

Incredibly flexible in placement, 200% chance to stun, good camping abilities for exploration plus one that allows him to hit bosses almost as hard as Hellions, high dodge, speed and HP, second best trap disarmer, and one of the few classes in the game so far that can combo with other classes.