Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DrankSinatra posted:

all that styling stuff is some retro-hipster-fetish bullshit now?

That more or less sums it up accurately.

If you want a vintagey looking bike, a Triumph Bonneville is a much better (and actually modern and reliable underneath the looks) choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

That more or less sums it up accurately.

If you want a vintagey looking bike, a Triumph Bonneville is a much better (and actually modern and reliable underneath the looks) choice.

It is also literally the dullest bike I have ever ridden. I mean I get that they wanted to make it as unintimidating as possible for newbie riders/born agains, but gently caress me the motor might as well be electric for all the character it has.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

nitrogen posted:

While I understand your stance, replacing the front shocks with something stiffer is a really worthwhile upgrade, and will really increase your enjoyment of the bike. I think it *IS* worth spending some coin on, even on a GS500. The stock shocks are really WAY too gooey.

Most other "upgrades" i'd agree are not worth it.

Springs are a worth while upgrade because they are less than 70 bucks, a fork brace (20 bucks) and even a rear katana shock, but anything really beyond this is overkill. As far as the brakes are concerned I have no idea what you guys are talking about when it comes to the brakes being too gooey and the bike dipping when you brake. Have you ever ridden a Ninja 250r? If you want to talk about some dipping that is where we should start talking.

I don't seem to be suffering from most of these gs500 woes and I own a 94 gs500e. It might come down to maintenance, the care of the PO, and the age of the parts on the bike. My bike had the forks seals redone with newer heavier fork oil when I got it which solves most of these dipping problems without having to replace the front end or get new springs. Seriously just consider heavier fork oil if you are that concerned about it before wasting money on progressive springs.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Minkee posted:

Springs are a worth while upgrade Have you ever ridden a Ninja 250r? If you want to talk about some dipping that is where we should start talking.

Qft, it was like a pogo stick.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
It's about time for my 12,5000mile service. I've noticed that occasionally I get a clicking/clacking sound from what I think is my chain. It only happens at low speeds (in 1st only, maybe up to 15 or 20 mph). Does that sound like a sprocket/chain thing or something else? I thought it was just that my chain was filthy and I'd gone longer than I should have to clean and lube it. Cleaning and lubing it did help, but that was a couple weeks ago and it's clicking a bit again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did you set the tension? Either way, it's probably a few nearly seized links and it's time for a new chain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Qft, it was like a pogo stick.

Try riding a Hyosung. You can bottom the forks using the rear brake.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress? Are the forks super springy or something? Cause I can't do poo poo with my forks if I use the rear brake.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Do your forks have springs in them? Or anything at all?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Can confirm. Have a Hyosung GT-650R. Super springy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Y'all should change your fork oil.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Do your forks have springs in them? Or anything at all?

Pretty sure there's just two used toilet paper rolls and a pez dispenser in there.

EZipperelli posted:

Can confirm. Have a Hyosung GT-650R. Super springy.

The GT650 I rode had a decent front end but may have been hosed with. This is a 250 with the vastly inferior non-adjustable forks.

BlackMK4 posted:

Y'all should change your fork oil.

Already done, the spring rates are just hilariously light and have no preload adjustment. Next step is cutting up some preload spacers to try and rectify things a little bit.

I am not forking out the dosh for aftermarket springs for the stupid thing, that's what the Hornet is for.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I hope this is the correct thread for this. I really didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm having issues starting my bike. It's a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750. I've had it since June, and it's performed wonderfully...but when I went to ride it yesterday after ~2 months of storage, it wouldn't start.

When I press the starter button, the lights dim but nothing happens...no starter motor trying to turn over, or clicks from a relay of any kind. If I put my kickstand up and down three or four times, I can usually get it to start...but then I have to do the same thing next time I go to start it. I did some troubleshooting, and also discovered that the bike only shuts off when I lower the kickstand intermittently. 2 out of the 7 attempts, to be exact. I checked the battery, and it was at 97% charge. I also checked the fuses, they looked fine and show continuity when checked with a DMM.

I'm pretty sure it's the kickstand switch, but I'm very new to motorcycle (or automotive) maintenance, and would like to get the opinion of people a bit more experienced than myself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like the stand switch. Assuming you tested the battery with a multimeter? Do a continuity test on the switch.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Marxalot posted:

This. Getting new rubber will make it feel like an entirely different bike. Replace both tires now.

I have http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35276/i/michelin-pilot-road-3-front-tire the ever so slightly more recent version of these on my FZ6. Hard in the center but still grip better than I am a rider towards the edges. 4-5kmi into mine and they're not even flat spotting yet.

These http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6163/i/michelin-pilot-power-front-tire are what I have on my DRZ-sm. Sticky as poo poo, but the rear probably won't last you much more than 3kmi. Front should be good for 6.

E: These are just the ones I have experience with, and most people seem to like them. FWIW I'm replacing the pilot powers on my DRZ with BT-020s in another 3kmi.

e2: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10979559/d/street-bike-tires

To bring this up again, the rear is new, but cheap and apparently bias-ply (IRC Road Winner). It doesn't look like the Michelin Pilot Road 3 is available in the rear size (130-70/17) anyway. Would it be OK to use the PR3 on the front, and keep the rear until it wears out or I sell the bike? I'm not even sure if any good tires come in that size for the rear.

Anyway, I'm definitely replacing the front (haven't ridden the bike since it's been raining), and I'll probably replace the fork oil and see how things are after that.

If I replace the fork springs, am I going to want to replace the rear shock as well?

I wasn't planning on putting much into this bike besides taking care of basic safety issues. Of which tires and sorted suspension definitely count.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Devorum posted:

I hope this is the correct thread for this. I really didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm having issues starting my bike. It's a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750. I've had it since June, and it's performed wonderfully...but when I went to ride it yesterday after ~2 months of storage, it wouldn't start.

When I press the starter button, the lights dim but nothing happens...no starter motor trying to turn over, or clicks from a relay of any kind. If I put my kickstand up and down three or four times, I can usually get it to start...but then I have to do the same thing next time I go to start it. I did some troubleshooting, and also discovered that the bike only shuts off when I lower the kickstand intermittently. 2 out of the 7 attempts, to be exact. I checked the battery, and it was at 97% charge. I also checked the fuses, they looked fine and show continuity when checked with a DMM.

I'm pretty sure it's the kickstand switch, but I'm very new to motorcycle (or automotive) maintenance, and would like to get the opinion of people a bit more experienced than myself.

If you can find the switch, take the harness off, jam a paperclip or something in to short the wires and do some testing with it shorted and without. Should tell you if the switch is bad, but from the sound of it, it is. Also sounds like a dead battery, which 2 months of sitting may very well cause.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

If you can find the switch, take the harness off, jam a paperclip or something in to short the wires and do some testing with it shorted and without. Should tell you if the switch is bad, but from the sound of it, it is. Also sounds like a dead battery, which 2 months of sitting may very well cause.

I tested the battery with my battery tester, and it's OK and fully charged. It was bought brand new in September, so it's still pretty fresh. I got the switch disconnected at the big bundle of connectors under the seat and checked it for continuity, and it checks out. My bike started every time after I reconnected it. Maybe it was a loose connection. I doubt it, but we'll see if it keeps acting up.

I have a copy of the service manual, which is helpful in locating everything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evensevenone posted:

To bring this up again, the rear is new, but cheap and apparently bias-ply (IRC Road Winner). It doesn't look like the Michelin Pilot Road 3 is available in the rear size (130-70/17) anyway. Would it be OK to use the PR3 on the front, and keep the rear until it wears out or I sell the bike? I'm not even sure if any good tires come in that size for the rear.

Anyway, I'm definitely replacing the front (haven't ridden the bike since it's been raining), and I'll probably replace the fork oil and see how things are after that.

If I replace the fork springs, am I going to want to replace the rear shock as well?

I wasn't planning on putting much into this bike besides taking care of basic safety issues. Of which tires and sorted suspension definitely count.

I would not worry about the suspension at all. If you replace fork springs you theoretically need to do the shock and then do bushes and then do valving and blah blah blah there is no hard 'stop' point until you end up riding a WSBK. Just don't worry about it. Get decent tyres on there, get decent brake pads, learn to ride without falling off then buy a better bike.

As for the tyre, you can sneak a 140 section on there to open up your possibilities. Won't affect the way the bike rides in any meaningful way.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Devorum posted:

I tested the battery with my battery tester, and it's OK and fully charged. It was bought brand new in September, so it's still pretty fresh. I got the switch disconnected at the big bundle of connectors under the seat and checked it for continuity, and it checks out. My bike started every time after I reconnected it. Maybe it was a loose connection. I doubt it, but we'll see if it keeps acting up.

I have a copy of the service manual, which is helpful in locating everything.

You should check the switch itself too. The switch on my Daytona poo poo the bed while Z3n's wife was riding it causing the bike to shut off, she was going down the driveway so it wasn't catastrophic, but that happening would not be a fun scenario at speed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I would not worry about the suspension at all. If you replace fork springs you theoretically need to do the shock and then do bushes and then do valving and blah blah blah there is no hard 'stop' point until you end up riding a WSBK. Just don't worry about it. Get decent tyres on there, get decent brake pads, learn to ride without falling off then buy a better bike.

As for the tyre, you can sneak a 140 section on there to open up your possibilities. Won't affect the way the bike rides in any meaningful way.

Just springs is pretty essential to the bike feeling halfway decent - it'll get the bike operating in the range of having "suspension". So much of what people bitch about from bikes like the Ninja 250/GS500 is down to really, really, really soft springs. The frame, swingarm, etc, are usually fine, the shittyness is just a function of terrible springing. For about 180 bucks, you can do the front and rear springs and it'll really transform the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know. I'm saying for zero bucks he can continue to have a GS500 and just get another bike later.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Mine's a newer one which supposedly had stiffer springs although who the gently caress knows.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I know. I'm saying for zero bucks he can continue to have a GS500 and just get another bike later.

If he keeps the bike for a year, he's paying the equivalent of 50c a day for a vastly superior riding experience. And he'll get that money back if the buyer knows what they're getting.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Does anyone know about a motorcycle organization called CBA / ABATE? Is it a bunch of racist tea party folks who like to ride, or am I being paranoid? Their website had some tea party-ish lines on it. I just moved and am looking for a group that rides down here.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
gently caress gathering with other people, regardless of what they might believe. Riding alone is a thousand times more enjoyable than being part of a bike herd.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

All I know about ABATE (from this forum) is their stance of "Grr helmet laws".

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Abate is a bunch of mouth breathing idiots who think helmet laws are another example of Big Government crushing Are Freedom. They're also the idiots you read/hear about going on "protest ride" and dying from injuries a helmet would have prevented.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Pope Mobile posted:

Abate is a bunch of mouth breathing idiots who think helmet laws are another example of Big Government crushing Are Freedom. They're also the idiots you read/hear about going on "protest ride" and dying from injuries a helmet would have prevented.

Sounds like a self correcting problem.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Frosty- posted:

gently caress gathering with other people, regardless of what they might believe. Riding alone is a thousand times more enjoyable than being part of a bike herd.

Still probably worth looking, if only so you can find out if they have any preferred routes/times that you can try to avoid.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Frosty- posted:

:goonsay:

Whatever you say, guy. Some of the best times I've ever had was riding cross country in a group of 6ish.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Frosty- posted:

Meeting new people/riding with friends is a great part of riding. There is a big difference between a 100 person group ride and riding with 2-3 of your friends.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zeris posted:

Does anyone know about a motorcycle organization called CBA / ABATE? Is it a bunch of racist tea party folks who like to ride, or am I being paranoid? Their website had some tea party-ish lines on it. I just moved and am looking for a group that rides down here.

Yeah it's your typical group of anti-helmet morons. Finding good riding buddies is like panning for gold, takes a long while to find the right people.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Considering I wear all my poo poo, all the time, I'm glad I asked. Thank you.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Yeah it's your typical group of anti-helmet morons. Finding good riding buddies is like panning for gold, takes a long while to find the right people.

I guess I feel lucky to sort have fallen into a group I enjoy riding with. Even luckier: my wife is part of that group.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I guess I feel lucky to sort have fallen into a group I enjoy riding with. Even luckier: my wife is part of that group.

Most of the SOs in my group of friends ride or want to ride. Opposition to it is pretty rare. My wife likes the SuperDuke but claims that "no one needs that much power". If they make a 1050SD (or better yet, SM) I'd be strongly tempted to snag one for her.

I think it's just part of people realizing that gender has pretty much zero bearing on ability to ride bikes (or do most things) and bikes are cool.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Any good motorcycling riding books I should keep an eye open for while I am in an area with amazing used book stores?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Proficient Motorcycling (updated version, if you can).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have a highlighted copy of A Twist of the Wrist 2 that I give to new riders. There's lots of track stuff in it but also a lot that applies for street riding.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

nsaP posted:

I have a highlighted copy of A Twist of the Wrist 2 that I give to new riders. There's lots of track stuff in it but also a lot that applies for street riding.

I saw Twist of the Wrist 1, but not 2. Dismissed it because of all the track stuff, but found a super discounted Motorcycling Excellence book. Basically a super version of the MSF book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

M42 posted:

Proficient Motorcycling (updated version, if you can).

This is a great book. Best recommendation CA ever gave me was this book. Whether you just took your MSF or you have been riding for years this is a great read and you will certainly learn something about motorcycling you didn't know.