Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still not at all clear on what the difference is between NBC news and MSNBC. How much staff and content do they share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Honestly I don't watch any TV news at all, does MSNBC talk poo poo on Fox then? Isn't that the stock market channel?

e: as a bonus, abstaining from TV news makes all these "sick burns" on the lamestream media I see ITT really funny/pathetic to me.
I've had people try to pull off burns like that in person too, like it's a total slam on my politics if they insult some TV news anchor that I've never heard of before.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 10, 2015

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still not at all clear on what the difference is between NBC news and MSNBC. How much staff and content do they share?

NBC- A broadcast network that has a nightly news program.
MSNBC- A 24-hour news cable network, owned by NBC, that's vaguely/slightly left-leaning (but not always, and nowhere near the lean FOX has with the right)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

alnilam posted:

Honestly I don't watch any TV news at all, does MSNBC talk poo poo on Fox then? Isn't that the stock market channel?

That's CNBC.

MSNBC is allegedly the liberal alternative to Fox since it has Rachel Maddow, Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Chris Hayes, et al., doing opinion shows. Of course, from what I understand at MSNBC the line between news and opinion shows is drawn a lot firmer than it is at Fox.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Selachian posted:

That's CNBC.

MSNBC is allegedly the liberal alternative to Fox since it has Rachel Maddow, Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Chris Hayes, et al., doing opinion shows. Of course, from what I understand at MSNBC the line between news and opinion shows is drawn a lot firmer than it is at Fox.

Which brings up something worth noting- CNBC is your usual free-market/fawn-over-CEOs/masters-of-the-universe poo poo, which isn't left-leaning at all. Meanwhile, FOX Business is not only right-wing, it's batshit crazy right-wing, "hide your gold" levels of nuttery.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I don't think Ed Stein was posted here, but he was an editorial cartoonist for Rocky Mountain News until it shut down. He continued to draw for syndication until he decided to call it quits on the field.

Well, he's not done with cartooning yet. He started a webcomic called "Sleeper Ave." The bits and pieces I've seen looks interesting.

I can't post it here due to the unusual format (cartoon panels with texts), but the latest is interesting. It's about polio vaccine from the 1950s. Given the current going-ons, it's pretty obvious why he's running the story now. Read it here.

I had no idea that the "JEW VACCINE" was a thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Go gently caress yourself Bish, I was at the mall the very next day of the shooting and it was normal as ever.

For context a 17 year old punk from Penn Hills decided he wanted to shoot this one guy he had a beef with. He shoots him at the Macy's and also injuries a couple too (they are all expected to recover from this thankfully). He is in custody and this is his 3rd gun related crime (which is sad because again he is 17 years old)

The Monroeville Mall is going to beef up security now where if you are under 18, you can't go to the mall without a guardian after 5 pm on Fridays and Saturdays starting Feb 27.

Now can you imagine what a lot of people are saying now? Yep its that "Inner City" Culture ruining the East Hills once again, hell I found out that apparently the East Hills were "ruined" because of the creation of Woodland Hills High School.

Anyway now my town has a reputation for having not only a Thug High School, but also a Thug Mall that no one should go to even though its a fine mall with an important history of being one of the first malls ever and cinematic history for being the Dawn of the Dead Mall.

The only reason Monroeville has a major drug problem is because it has the blessing/curse of being at the center of a lot of important business routes so drug dealers use it a hub to transport product fast using the Parkway and the Turnpike and Route 22.

But again gently caress Bish for thinking the Monroeville Mall is such a hellhole

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you think that level of distinction matters to your friends in the political cartoons industry?

Barack HUSSEIN Obama

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Beeg posted:

That's weird, because IIRC some of the strongest pockets of unvaccinated populations are ultra-orthodox Jewish communities :shrug:

e: gotta brag that Salk invented the polio vaccine here in Pittsburgh :woop:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Chin Strap posted:

There was a young woman from Slough
Who last year developed a cough.
She wasn't to know
It would last until now.
Let's hope the poor girl will pull through
I. But. Rhyme. Words. Enunciation! ....gently caress you. :psyboom:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

There was a young woman from Slough
Who last year developed a cough.
She wasn't to know
It would last until now.
Let's hope the poor girl will pull through

:getout:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Mister Beeg posted:

I had to ask my mum and it turns out I was not vaccinated against jews. I don't like shellfish but I enjoy falafels. Should I worry?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
So today is Local Hero™ Pat Bagley's birthday. Should we do something to celebrate?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Beeg posted:

So today is Local Hero™ Pat Bagley's birthday. Should we do something to celebrate?

Start by filling me in on where the "Local Hero" joke came from, please?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

alnilam posted:

Start by filling me in on where the "Local Hero" joke came from, please?

It comes from this banner, should be self-explanatory.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

^^^ lol thank you

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I agree. We're way overdue for another contest. Let's have a contest, like right now. I'm thinking either Ted Rall or Mallard Fillmore since they're easy for beginners to cut their teeth on, and both have huge archives of older strips to work with. I swear before all of the Internet: I will buy 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place the forums upgrade of their choice. Another goon can decide the winners. Real talk. Let's have another politoon contest. :colbert:

Wanted to bring this back up. Interest? Thank you Koishi for prodding the thread for an edit contest. I may enter myself but my entry will not be good.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Abyssal Squid posted:

It comes from this banner, should be self-explanatory.

For some reason I could not find that particular picture. Here's a closer shot on Bagley and his sash, though.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 10, 2015

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You wouldn't find Tinsley in a parade like that.

You might find him driving, though...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

You wouldn't find Tinsley in a parade like that.

You might find him driving, though...

Grumbling about all these loving feel-good parades disrupting his drive to the store 3 blocks away.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Or saying "Hey, why're theshe fuckersh going th'wrong way?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

loquacius posted:

Sorensen on gizmos

Fantavision was a great game, but this isn't exactly a timely reference to it, Sorensen :colbert:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Sorensen on gizmos

"Maybe all this screen time is harmful for you." - Jen Sorensen, www.jensorenesen.com, @JenSorensen on twitter. Any other social media links you'd like to plug while you're complaining about people using the net too much, Jen?

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

loquacius posted:

Sorensen on gizmos

Somebody post that 1920s politoon espousing this exact same attitude of moral panic over pre-recorded music in theatres.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Liberal_L33t posted:

Somebody post that 1920s politoon espousing this exact same attitude of moral panic over pre-recorded music in theatres.

Why are you looking at this cave wall when you could go outside and see an actual bison?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Another compositional mess courtesy of Catalino, also the third straight day he's re-used that image of Brian Williams. Hillary is quite obviously copy-pasted from elsewhere as well.

Hmm yes, truly a comprehensive list of American networks known for lying, no noticeable omissions or anything.

:what:

Those facial expressions :3:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Hmm yes, truly a comprehensive list of American networks known for lying, no noticeable omissions or anything.

I feel like there's a news network not included here.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Liberal_L33t posted:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

That's because Fox is not a news network, duh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

zoux posted:

I was just about to say, I could have sworn one was missing, but I can't call it to mind. Oh well.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Taxes are the price you pay for civilization. Most grown-ups have this pretty well figured out, Henry.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Another compositional mess courtesy of Catalino, also the third straight day he's re-used that image of Brian Williams. Hillary is quite obviously copy-pasted from elsewhere as well.

Found the face in a few seconds. Haven't found the running body or the dinosaurs, but you know they're out there.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

alnilam posted:

^^^ lol thank you

Wanted to bring this back up. Interest? Thank you Koishi for prodding the thread for an edit contest. I may enter myself but my entry will not be good.
I like the idea of more contests but I think it might be better if the timing was more organic. When something happens that lots of people feel like making edits about use that to kick off a contest. Maybe that is just me.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

That soldier needs to get himself some winter camo, even Obama is doing his best to blend in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are there any countries out there that actually think the US is weak? Are there foreign military officers running war games and planning war strategies that don't just throw their hands up in the air and draw pages of circled of question marks on the "Here's how to beat the US at a war" page of their war plans?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

zoux posted:

Are there any countries out there that actually think the US is weak? Are there foreign military officers running war games and planning war strategies that don't just throw their hands up in the air and draw pages of circled of question marks on the "Here's how to beat the US at a war" page of their war plans?

"The United States spends a ridiculously inordinate amount of money on military toys rather than on social safety nets, and by doing that is 'weak' in a very tangible sense" is probably a common opinion.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Over the long game yeah most nations know they can't beat us, but many have plans to deal with isolated incursions. Only nations that honestly think they could go head to head with us is Russia and China, and even china admits they have such a piss poor navy they would never be able to establish naval dominance.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Venom Snake posted:

Over the long game yeah most nations know they can't beat us, but many have plans to deal with isolated incursions. Only nations that honestly think they could go head to head with us is Russia and China, and even china admits they have such a piss poor navy they would never be able to establish naval dominance.

What are you talking about, there are no navies in the board game Risk, just little men and cannons.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Venom Snake posted:

Not quite - Russia and China can't go head to head with the USN - they can resist US power projection in their spheres of influence to a degree unmatched by the rest of the world, but their ability to project power is significantly limited compared to the United States.

About the only military force that could go up against the USN today is probably the United States of the 90s.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

alnilam posted:

e: as a bonus, abstaining from TV news makes all these "sick burns" on the lamestream media I see ITT really funny/pathetic to me.
I've had people try to pull off burns like that in person too, like it's a total slam on my politics if they insult some TV news anchor that I've never heard of before.

John Stewart points out Fox lies quite a lot, and the like one time Stewart made a factual error Fox News freaked out and reported on it a whole bunch with the smuggest of :smug: so Stewart did a segment where he listed every single thing Fox News ever lied about or got wrong.

That's like the only case I can think of of someone directly calling out Fox on TV. I mean I only saw it because of YouTube, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the takeaway is that we probably don't have to worry about appearing "weak".

• Locked thread