Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Carbon dioxide posted:

Chemistry is really very simple. It works like this:

1) Tell chemists they can't possibly synthesize some structure.
2) A chemist will find a way to make it. The crazier the compound sounds, the harder they will try*.

*= Especially if they are German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Chemistry is really very simple. It works like this:

1) Tell chemists they can't possibly synthesize some structure.
2) A chemist will find a way to make it. The crazier the compound sounds, the harder they will try.

That chemist's successor publishes the results posthumously.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

You'd be surprised the nutty poo poo you can do with molecular bonds once you get a substance hot enough/enough pressure.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
So are explosives mostly just the chemical equivalents of Prince Rupert's drops?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

insta posted:

So are explosives mostly just the chemical equivalents of Prince Rupert's drops?
"Things That Suddenly Want To Turn Back Into Elemental Nitrogen"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Collateral Damage posted:

I feel like your username is very appropriate right now, to describe the effects of things turning back into elemental nitrogen.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

"What are the most exciting things to watch someone else synthesize from a safe distance?"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

*things that really want to break down into gases.*
Peroxides can be explosive too.
Or even things that react and heat up so fast they expand the gases around them catastrophically.

But as for

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Would Fl3ClO2 burn a substance such as C4N2 hotter than pure O2?

Because right know we can burn Carbon Subnitride in pure O2 at around ~5000 C... I wonder if CTF or FOOF or Fl3ClO2 burn Carbon Subnitride even hotter than that?

Also that seems like it'd be the most horrific green house gas "event" in mankinds history if you fired a rocket engine in atmosphere that burned Fl3ClO2 with C4N2.

A flame so hot it melts tungsten, and smoke that's the most potent greenhouse gasses in existence and toxic and carcinogenic as all gently caress.

That'd be some crazy poo poo.

Energy released/taken in depends on energy diff between reactants and products.
Fl3ClO2

...Yup looks like more bond energy than O2.

The answer is most definitely, but I wouldn't want to be there for uhh... let's call it empirical testing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

*things that really want to break down into gases.*
Peroxides can be explosive too.
Or even things that react and heat up so fast they expand the gases around them catastrophically.

But as for

Energy released/taken in depends on energy diff between reactants and products.
Fl3ClO2

...Yup looks like more bond energy than O2.

The answer is most definitely, but I wouldn't want to be there for uhh... let's call it empirical testing.

This is clearly a job for a bomb calorimeter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deteriorata posted:

This is clearly a job for a bomb calorimeter.

But that wont measure the energy given off from the reaction of pure Trifluoro terror oxidizer with Carbon subnitride. Since Bomb Calorimeters measure energy of combustion in oxygen.
Unless you are suggesting replacing Oxygen with one of the two. Which requires one of either to be in excess.

Yeah good luck I'll be in the Bahamas observing the mushroom cloud at a safe distance.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'd expect nothing less from a bomb calorimeter.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Any educated guesses on just how much hotter it would burn?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

so, how exactly would you make an engine using that hellish concoction when it would melt loving tungsten?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

A White Guy posted:

so, how exactly would you make an engine using that hellish concoction when it would melt loving tungsten?

Well you see the engine itself is made of TNT which stabilizes the compounds, furthermore...

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

A White Guy posted:

The engine itself burning and being ejected is part of the design.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A White Guy posted:

Ablatively-cooled nozzle?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
New Things I Won't Work With! http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2014/10/10/things_i_wont_work_with_peroxide_peroxides.php

(unless I'm late and someone else already linked it. Regardless, HO3H and friends are things I want nothing to do with. He mentions an HOOOOO- anion that looks pretty malevolent as well.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jetz0r posted:

The engine itself burning and being ejected is part of the design.

Oh so it's just a component-rich-exhaust, no worries then. Will it have a lithobraking system to arrest forward movement as well?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Memento posted:

Oh so it's just a component-rich-exhaust, no worries then. Will it have a lithobraking system to arrest forward movement as well?
It's just a hybrid engine. The engine bell is part of the fuel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Memento posted:

Lithobraking is always an option for experimental rockets. That and sudden midair disassembly, which sounds much more likely with this concept.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

It's just a hybrid engine. The engine bell is part of the fuel.

It's part of the reaction mass. It's a reliefshame zip fuels never got anywhere.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TerryLennox posted:

It's part of the reaction mass. It's a reliefshame zip fuels never got anywhere.

And just think about the places they would have gone. The water table, the food chain, the ozone layer - the sky's the limit!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kastein posted:

He mentions an HOOOOO- anion that looks pretty malevolent as well.)

is that the sound you make when you realize you've synthesized it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tollymain posted:

is that the sound you make when you realize you've synthesized it

I would think that, or oh poo poo run.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Nitrogen just wants to be freeeeeee!*

*violently and messily all over the place

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kwyndig posted:

I would think that, or oh poo poo run.

Its about as far as you get into Holy poo poo, before it explodes in your face

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Kwyndig posted:

That and sudden midair disassembly, which sounds much more likely with this concept.

i prefer the term "impromptu lateral staging"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So if you can go from HOOH to HOOOH, you can make FOOOF too, right?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Can: probably.
Should: most emphatically not.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

Can: probably.
Should: most emphatically not.

coward talk

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jamal posted:

So if you can go from HOOH to HOOOH, you can make FOOOF too, right?

Glad I'm not the only one who immediately considered that.

I wouldn't recommend it, TBH. If you do, consider trying out the FOOOOO- ion, too.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

insta posted:

That seems like a reasonable comparison for most of the "Now with even more Nitrogen"-compounds, yes ... apart from the part where the drops are fairly robust (except for the tail).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd watch a tv show where people create crazy chemicals and test them

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm so glad I'm not a chemist. It's fascinating stuff (from a physics point of view) but the stuff you work with is nuts.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tollymain posted:

coward talk

"Still has all ten fingers" talk, thank you very much :colbert:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Luneshot posted:

I'm so glad I'm not a chemist. It's fascinating stuff (from a physics point of view) but the stuff you work with is nuts.

I really wanted to do chemistry as a college student, but realised that even conc HCL scared the poo poo out of me (I'm that guy that burned his nose hair accidentally getting a whiff of it), and went off to do physics and maths instead. This was an entirely good decision.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Luneshot posted:

The overwhelming majority of chemistry is fairly mundane. Its the weird experimental stuff where you start trying to see how many angry atoms you can shove together without dying.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have a degree in chemical engineering. My internship consisted of working in a plant that could produce millions of gallons of oleum per day. I do not currently work in my field because of my cowardice with working with that kind of absolutely terrifying poo poo.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have a degree in chemical engineering. My internship consisted of working in a plant that could produce millions of gallons of oleum per day. I do not currently work in my field because of my cowardice with working with that kind of absolutely terrifying poo poo.

That's weak poo poo compared to a lot of chemical manufacturing reagents. Hell you can transport that stuff as a solid and be OK. The real nasty ones are produced and consumed inline on site. Vinyl chloride, the precursor for PVC, for example generally doesn't leave a facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
We were working with tank cars full of the boiling version. I agree that many precursors make oleum seem like amateur hour though. It still scared the poo poo out of me, especially after we had a pressure fitting fail and the spill proceeded to dissolve part of the factory floor (Not set it on fire, note. Just turn the tile to sludge and corrode everything metallic). No deaths or injuries and the spill was contained, but it could have been so much much worse. While it was happening it was pretty loving intense.