Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
http://chrissamnee.tumblr.com/post/110658048890/wait-shh-my-spidey-news-sense-is-tingling
Samnee just posted this saying he has some Spider-Man related news coming up. This can only be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Himself and Waid are leaving Daredevil so I'd be totally fine with them taking over the book.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's probably going to be a side-title, I'd be amazed if Slott was finally leaving ASM.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dacap posted:

Also it stems from some people's desire for Avengers to be more like the Justice League where the team is the biggest names in the universe

Well see that's kind of at the core of it. While the Avengers have never been "the best of the best" per se, they are still a prestigious team, while Spidey's character had been focused so long on being an outcast and an underdog. JMS handled him joining the Avengers really well, actually, framing it as him finally getting recognition for the cumulative impressive poo poo and heroic deeds he's performed over the years. It fit nicely into how he was finding his place in his personal life and generally growing up. It felt like he was coming home.

Now I'm sad.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Waterhaul posted:

Himself and Waid are leaving Daredevil so I'd be totally fine with them taking over the book.

If it ends up being Slott/Samnee on ASM I'll be pissed that Marvel is wasting a talented artist on him again like Allred on Silver Surfer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Well see that's kind of at the core of it. While the Avengers have never been "the best of the best" per se, they are still a prestigious team, while Spidey's character had been focused so long on being an outcast and an underdog. JMS handled him joining the Avengers really well, actually, framing it as him finally getting recognition for the cumulative impressive poo poo and heroic deeds he's performed over the years. It fit nicely into how he was finding his place in his personal life and generally growing up. It felt like he was coming home.

Now I'm sad.

No, wait. Tell me again what happened next after this, him getting back together with his wife, getting a steady job, etc. What was the next thing that happened, again?

:smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Maybe Samnee and Waid will work on the Renew Your Vows Spidey who will be the canon Spidey during and after Secret Wars :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Maybe Samnee and Waid will work on the Renew Your Vows Spidey who will be the canon Spidey during and after Secret Wars :unsmith:

Well hasn't Waid stated he didn't like the marriage to MJ (weird considering his work on the Flash with Linda)?

Plus Slott's gone on the record as saying he's writing Renew Your Vows.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well hasn't Waid stated he didn't like the marriage to MJ (weird considering his work on the Flash with Linda)?

Just because he thinks it works for one character doesn't mean he feels the same about a completely different one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As much as I dislike Slott's writing, I don't think I've ever heard him express strong feelings about the marriage either way. That's always been Quesada's beef. I mean I could be wrong, OMD was a while ago now.

TheJoker138 posted:

No, wait. Tell me again what happened next after this, him getting back together with his wife, getting a steady job, etc. What was the next thing that happened, again?

:smith:

It's the weirdest thing, they just stopped making Spider-man comics altogether. Maybe they'll make new ones someday...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

I am so conflicted. AAAUUUGGHHH!! gently caress. If his is the only book then fine I'll buy it.

God, Jeebus in Heaven, please put Hickman on Spider-man after.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

God, Jeebus in Heaven, please put Hickman on Spider-man after.

Pass.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Paul Cornell? Chris Priest?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

Paul Cornell? Chris Priest?

Sure! Does Priest even do comics anymore?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

Sadly no. He was awesome.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I think he doesn't do big two comics, he does occasional creator-owned stuff.

Plus he's gone on record as hating the marriage.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, as much as I adore Hickman's writing, I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for Spider-Man. Like, at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, as much as I adore Hickman's writing, I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for Spider-Man. Like, at all.

He wrote one of the best Spider-Man stories ever (FF#17) so I think he can do it if he wanted.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think he doesn't do big two comics, he does occasional creator-owned stuff.

Plus he's gone on record as hating the marriage.

Also

http://lamerciepark.com/legacy/comics/spidey.html

Hickman would be a good thing for Spider-man. He'd take it in a direction different than the same old poo poo. Then again, maybe the Deadpool team would be fun too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I want Fraction/Aja on Spider-Man. I don't care if Spider-Man now only comes out once every four months, I still want it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hickman is a plotter, and it is hard as poo poo to give a gently caress about his characters.

So Spiderman probably isn't something he could do.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Did you read FF at all?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Did you read FF at all?

What, he did a stupid wacky roommates story, and an ok 8-page backup where Spidey can't buy a hot dog. That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement considering the rest of his work is just opaque grand designs with flimsy characters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I am not sure why anyone would point to his FF run for interesting characters.

Because, um there weren't any.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I guess Sue punched Namor that one time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Doom was doom I guess.

But it is really hard to gently caress up Doom.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You guys are so full of poo poo it's probably coming out of your ears. I'd have a hard time finding an uninteresting character in that run.

And the correct answer for Spider-Man writer is Mark Waid or Zeb Wells.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

You guys are so full of poo poo it's probably coming out of your ears. I'd have a hard time finding an uninteresting character in that run.

And the correct answer for Spider-Man writer is Mark Waid or Zeb Wells.

Zeb Wells and Joe Kelly yes, Waid no. He's against the marriage. NO.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The marriage isn't coming back. I think it's time to move on. I hope you guys aren't like this about real life break ups.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpWzg4aiEU&t=119s

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

The marriage isn't coming back. I think it's time to move on. I hope you guys aren't like this about real life break ups.

Eh, it probably is at some point.

It makes a nice event, sells some comics.

Also I liked Hickman's FF. Just not for the characters.

If they existed.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 11, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Did you read FF at all?

Yes, and that story was brilliant, but it wasn't a Spider-Man story. It was a Johnny Storm story that had Peter Parker in it.

Unless you're talking about a twelve-issue story arc where the Centaurian lady comes back to Earth trying to get Spider-Man into bed and Wacky Hijinks Ensue, which I would, granted, buy the hell out of... but something tells me that's not the kind of book Marvel's gonna get behind.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TheJoker138 posted:

I want Fraction/Aja on Spider-Man. I don't care if Spider-Man now only comes out once every four months, I still want it.

Aja is a bit... I don't know the word, gritty? Blurry? Okay for Hawkeye loving around, but I'm not sure it's bright enough for Spider-Man. Jamie McKelvie, maybe?

Also, gently caress no to Hickman on Spider-Man. He'd revisit the Other, but make it a cross-decade journey through the totemic etc., etc., etc. which has been fine on the stuff he's been on, but not Spider-Man.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
McKelvie's art is way too static.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It won't happen but I want Allred on Spider-Man

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Angry Walrus posted:

McKelvie's art is way too static.

Good point, and was kinda thinking about that afterwards. Is Sean Murphy DC exclusive?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
There's always one-man juggling act/super-writer Charles Soule available.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Die Laughing posted:

Most real life breakups don't involve selling the relationship to the devil.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dacap posted:

It won't happen but I want Allred on Spider-Man

I would murder people to have this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Know who I'd love to have on Spider-Man?

Mike Wieringo :(

• Locked thread