Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Sickening posted:

Dear all,

Stop making windows vm's with system drives that are too large. No, they don't need to be more than 60 gigs. Yes, Seperate data drives make more sense. Yes, it does matter.

I have been doing 120Gig. Am I too generous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

KennyTheFish posted:

I have been doing 120Gig. Am I too generous?

You shouldn't need more than 60 gigs because you shouldn't be running your [Service] on the Windows partitionso that's a very generous log file.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Our latest product upgrade requires 50gb of install files. New VMs now get 80 gigs on primary and then two 20 gb drives. :suicide:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ijustam posted:

Our latest product upgrade requires 50gb of install files. New VMs now get 80 gigs on primary and then two 20 gb drives. :suicide:

Am I crazy or can you not install an app on a separate drive?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sickening posted:

Depends on how lovely the app is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ConfusedUs posted:

Adjusted for inflation.

And including the top hourly rate your organization charges for updating it, and the time spent wishing they'd buy a clue.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Quick note. While 10.x.x.x IP addresses are valid and inside our network might work, we might not want to share that with clients asking them to configure their DNS. It may not work correctly. (>4 people saw this request and no questions raised from either party)

Alternatively, yeah sorry our servers are out of RAM fluid and we will fix in the AM.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

We have a major product sitting on a server with only 4GB of memory that somehow had the OS upgraded without the applicable hardware upgrades to handle the new OS.

This will likely take half a year by my companies standards of shifting the issue to various teams for 5 and a half months before looking at the actual problem. Also everyone is getting uppity about quotes on it but how much does 50gb of additional memory to a server actually cost nowadays?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Had to ship up and return an extra cheap 20 inch monitor today because a CEO of a multi-million dollar company said they "don't have the budget for any spare parts" you could see the others in the room realize the sinking ship they were on.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

So everyone heard of the Anthem hack right?

Well let me inform you of how fun working in Healthcare IT has been the last few days.

The day the breach was announced there was an emergency meeting of the Board of Directors. Who came up with the amazing plan to make sure our network is secure.

Just change every password in the company in the next 14 days. Changing your personal accounts sucks. But the real problem is the batch accounts. Normally internal batch accounts are set to have passwords not expire. Because of managerial pissing matches and lack of enterprise standards systems mandate that you get an account that matches their naming standards. Don't have an account that matches their standard? Make a new one!

So every project has dozens, if not hundreds of accounts. Our tiny little analytics subsystem wracked up over 200 batch accounts, spread across 3 environments. In a wonderful bureaucratic clusterfuck the process to change a password requires: The Ops team responsible for the account, the System Owner (manager) who owns the source system, the security team and the administrative team that has the permission to update passwords. You start a Webex then pass control and presentation rights around so that only security and the DB owner know the password. Our 3 person security team is going to have to coordinate changing several thousand passwords that we know of.

In the mood to one-up the idiocy of Senior Management the Middle Management of the ETL area decided they want a write up justifying any "long running query" on a database, "large data file" or "mass transmission of data". Apparently it was lost on them that is what we do. The order boils down to "Go look for a needle in this stack of needles".

Did I mention this happened the same day we started our largest ever deployment of our new analytics engine which was already a massive clusterfuck? I already got my rear end taken to task for estimating a small delay to the timelines because of the password changes. I wasn't thinking positive enough. I estimated 5 days and we're already at 3 and we haven't started the analytics run yet.

:suicide:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Xae posted:

Well let me inform you of how fun working in Healthcare IT has been the last few days.
<snip>

Did I mention this happened the same day we started our largest ever deployment of our new analytics engine which was already a massive clusterfuck? I already got my rear end taken to task for estimating a small delay to the timelines because of the password changes. I wasn't thinking positive enough. I estimated 5 days and we're already at 3 and we haven't started the analytics run yet.

Luckily ours didn't go that far, there was only a new policy issued about how documents shared in externally accessible locations must be password protected, and the password must be client-specific.

Ofc someone got off that conference call and told us we need to password protect our sharepoint site. Every single thing on it. Individually. Luckily the infosec guys respond quickly to their group email address and gave "clarification". ;)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
gently caress Java. gently caress it forever. gently caress anyone who ever thought a Java thin client that doesn't use Java Web Start was a good idea.

Tomorrow I get to uninstall and reinstall Firefox to see if that magically fixes the issue, because uninstalling and reinstalling the JRE didn't do anything.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

We have a major product sitting on a server with only 4GB of memory that somehow had the OS upgraded without the applicable hardware upgrades to handle the new OS.

This will likely take half a year by my companies standards of shifting the issue to various teams for 5 and a half months before looking at the actual problem. Also everyone is getting uppity about quotes on it but how much does 50gb of additional memory to a server actually cost nowadays?

50GB more on a VM is eighter trivial or borderline impossible depending on the state of overprovisioning on the hosts.
If you need a new ESX to keep the total farm sane you're looking at, what $30k? :v:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Can you push a script or something of that ilk to scan and delete that file?

Machine is A: not on a domain I have admin details for B: not on the WAN I am on C: is in a time zone 12 hours different from mine and not always powered on. I would love to do it instead I get this bullshit back,

"This was done after 22/1/15 and before 31/1/15."

No, motherfucker, it was not. I'm looking at an audit done THIS loving MONDAY AND ITS STILL THERE. I know you haven't done it, the same way you haven't done the other dozen things I've asked and have said you did.

Am very very tempted to send the guy some unrelated GPO for him to import that also adds a script to scan and nuke that loving file. However this feels one step away from hacking my own network. Maybe sending emails might be smarter.

IllusionistTrixie fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 11, 2015

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Sickening posted:

The application actually usually gets installed on a separate partition, but the installer files themselves are gigantic for some reason. It's likely because the packager downloads literally everything but you usually don't need all of it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Reminds me of the post from the old thread about the mainframe software that downloaded gigabytes of Windows .exe files and multilingual java updates.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have some software that runs on our iSeries that 'fixes' mailing addresses. Updates come on a loving CD-ROM.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Bob Morales posted:

We have some software that runs on our iSeries that 'fixes' mailing addresses. Updates come on a loving CD-ROM.

We had a bunch of stuff like that but we looked into it and saw the vendors also offered the files through their website/ftp and got all that poo poo automated.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Danith posted:

We had a bunch of stuff like that but we looked into it and saw the vendors also offered the files through their website/ftp and got all that poo poo automated.

I'm sure they do, that's my next step. I think the IBM guy here just likes being a 1980's mainframe operator and loading tapes and poo poo all day.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
^^We still have some people who want to get their reports through CD. We have a CD printer in our building down the street which goes down almost daily when our jobs run and takes "gently caress Printers" to a new and magical level.

Xae posted:

Oh man. I work inside the blue network and it's entirely possible that some of our customers who got service in states that anthem serves got compromised, and we're STILL not doing anything like that. We issued a statement and will be providing identiy monitoring and credit services to people who we identify as potentially affected.

Then again our security team is closer to "never let anything through ever even if you want it to" then "lol what's a password" so I guess pick your headache.

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 11, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
To: Entire building of 300+ people
Subject: stuff

Subject: Re: stuff

Subject: Re: Re: stuff

Subject: Re: Re: Re: stuff

I'm actually setting up a rule for this specific email's subject line to go directly into my trash. :eng99:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Reply all and ask to be taken off it - enjoy the results.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gently caress this day. Nothing is working properly and everyone won't leave me alone so I can loving fix it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

psydude posted:

gently caress this day. Nothing is working properly and everyone won't leave me alone so I can loving fix it.

We don't pay you to fix things, we pay you to complain at you about the things not being fixed. :colbert:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
loving java. I made the mistake up updating to the latest version (the real mistake is using it, ever, for any reason) and now I can't run untrusted web apps on it. I'm trying to configure some switches here, and they have a few functions that need a java applet - none of which are signed, of course. Well, that's why the java control panel has a security slider? Nope, they removed the medium setting I need to run unsigned apps in 8.something. Whitelist? Doesn't work. I don't know if the whitelist just doesn't accept ip addresses, or if I need to whitelist the specific address for the applet. Neither method I tried worked. So I literally can't run anything I need with the latest version, and have to downgrade back to a shittier but functional version.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

loving java. I made the mistake up updating to the latest version (the real mistake is using it, ever, for any reason) and now I can't run untrusted web apps on it. I'm trying to configure some switches here, and they have a few functions that need a java applet - none of which are signed, of course. Well, that's why the java control panel has a security slider? Nope, they removed the medium setting I need to run unsigned apps in 8.something. Whitelist? Doesn't work. I don't know if the whitelist just doesn't accept ip addresses, or if I need to whitelist the specific address for the applet. Neither method I tried worked. So I literally can't run anything I need with the latest version, and have to downgrade back to a shittier but functional version.

I bet you need to whitelist org.some.crappy.applet now

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The whitelist does accept IP addresses, but if the applet calls a hostname, you need to put the hostname in the whitelist. Make sure you put http and https in there too, just in case.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

evol262 posted:

I bet you need to whitelist org.some.crappy.applet now

Wouldn't surprise me.

anthonypants posted:

The whitelist does accept IP addresses, but if the applet calls a hostname, you need to put the hostname in the whitelist. Make sure you put http and https in there too, just in case.

My whitelist looks like:

code:
http://10.17.0.2/
https://10.17.0.2/
http://10.17.0.2/html/MntSaveConfiguration.html
http://10.17.0.2/html/Hmain.html
https://10.17.0.2/html/MntSaveConfiguration.html
https://10.17.0.2/html/Hmain.html
Which should cover the ip, the main frame's page, as well as the specific frame with the applet. If it does call a hostname, I'd have no idea what. At this point it's not going to be worth the effort. Downgrading worked, and this laptop rarely hits the internet.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I had to explain to my current boss that using the Windows SDK debugger is actually a valid method of determining which component had failed instead of randomly replacing memory. This didn't annoy me as much as Display-link being a terrible, terrible thing that pisses me off daily.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is TrendMicro really that worthless for AV or is something terribly wrong elsewhere?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Is TrendMicro really that worthless for AV or is something terribly wrong elsewhere?

There are just so many better options out there with better pricing. I wouldn't even consider them.

Vipre or Webroot are both solid choices.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I think our company just hired on a developer for Windows apps that has literally zero Windows app experience.

(Oh, and they didn't give him any way to escalate, so he can't do basic things like, I don't know, install development software.)

And then I get handed documentation for a protocol the brain trust devised (full of big problems, of course). Last modified nearly two years ago. "I think you should guys should have this". Yeah, thanks.

:cripes:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LordVorbis posted:

Machine is A: not on a domain I have admin details for B: not on the WAN I am on C: is in a time zone 12 hours different from mine and not always powered on. I would love to do it instead I get this bullshit back,

"This was done after 22/1/15 and before 31/1/15."

No, motherfucker, it was not. I'm looking at an audit done THIS loving MONDAY AND ITS STILL THERE. I know you haven't done it, the same way you haven't done the other dozen things I've asked and have said you did.

Am very very tempted to send the guy some unrelated GPO for him to import that also adds a script to scan and nuke that loving file. However this feels one step away from hacking my own network. Maybe sending emails might be smarter.

I've found the only thing that gets these kind of people off their asses is including the actual evidence in an email refuting their statement. If they're being particularly douchey or habitually fail to complete tasks their immediate superior and interested stake-holders as added CCs on the email chain.

I'm sorry, but when my head is on the block for a task I need completed and your lazy-rear end can't or won't do what I need done, I will enact a nuclear reprisal with a fiery vengeance.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off:

Sales guys who send customer problems directly to our engineers and bypass support entirely.

Not only does it waste all of our time, but it results in a markedly worse experience for the customer. Especially because our engineering group has teams in five zones across three continents.

Seriously, just send the customer to support. 99% of the time support can help. THAT IS WHY THEY EXIST.

I guess I could just have said "Sales guys".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I loved it when my old boss would interpret my attempts to steer users to correct supper channels as my being lazy. No! I was doing it because it was better for the customer! The fact that it also resulted in less work for me was a merely a pleasant side effect. That was management by suffering or something, if you're not suffering you're not doing your job.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Marketing rep: Can't you like, call a network IT someone or other and like pay them so my remote access to a computer in Florida goes faster when I'm in China?

Real answer: No, *duplo explanation of how the Internet is a system of tubes. Narrow, capricious ones when you're overseas trying to connect to remote assets*

Answer I wish I could give: You are a marketer for a loving technology vendor. Don't you have even the least motivation to have a practical, minimal knowledge about things like how the Internet works, since you sell poo poo that has features that use the Internet? Never mind, don't answer that, we know that as long as your breasts are perky and your breath smells of lilacs and peppermint, you'll still hit your sales goals without knowing how half the intermediate features work.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

5er posted:

Never mind, don't answer that, we know that as long as your breasts are perky and your breath smells of lilacs and peppermint, you'll still hit your sales goals without knowing how half the intermediate features work.

Let's be honest here, it's a lot harder to lie with a straight face about what features your engineers can deliver if you know that features take longer to implement than it takes for you to write a bullet point sentence describing what the feature does.

:v: "You just go and feed the bullet points into the computer and it spits out a feature, right? Your job is so easy!"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Ursine Asylum posted:

Let's be honest here, it's a lot harder to lie with a straight face about what features your engineers can deliver if you know that features take longer to implement than it takes for you to write a bullet point sentence describing what the feature does.

:v: "You just go and feed the bullet points into the computer and it spits out a feature, right? Your job is so easy!"

I TAKE THE REQUIREMENTS FROM THE CUSTOMER AND GIVE THEM TO THE ENGINEERS

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I TAKE THE REQUIREMENTS FROM THE CUSTOMER AND GIVE THEM TO THE ENGINEERS

Not enough buzzwords. Need to synergy the customers preferences and... gently caress it, I don't speak buzzspeak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dunno-Lars posted:

Not enough buzzwords. Need to synergy the customers preferences and... gently caress it, I don't speak buzzspeak.

My supervisor advised me to drop my insistence that leverage is a noun, not a verb, because it will only single me out as a contrarian.