Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Night10194 posted:

I gotta say my favorite character so far is the Highwayman. He just fits the tone of the game so well, and the whole shortsword and pistol thing is pretty badass.

I'm the Highwayman. I make ends meet - just like any other man. I work with my hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkNV-0O1ya8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anybody have any idea what room icons in dungeons mean? Red is enemies, treasure chest means treasure, grey means nothing? I don't know what green or blue + Atlas statue means.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

animatorZed posted:

That said, if dead adventurers in this game turned into a soul gem or something that you could take with you, which carried some random subset of their positive or negative traits, that would be pretty neat.
Maybe to use it you'd have to take it with you into a dungeon, and use it on a specific kind of altar.
A darker version of this would be if the soul was only captured if you had that hero wear a specific trinket to capture it. So maybe a guy is too far to save, but has a nice quirk you want so you slap this gem on him and send him off to his death.

Probably unnecessary since most traits are relatively minor, and ephemeral anyways as they get phased out for new ones randomly.

There would be a point to it if stats on those things were randomized and that was a way to increase them closer to max.

Also I wonder what will happen with Darkest Dungeon mechanic if they refuse to go more than once. The roster is so tiny at 20... I'd really hate to just dismiss people for that, it would feel really stupid, gameplay-wise.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bogart posted:

Anybody have any idea what room icons in dungeons mean? Red is enemies, treasure chest means treasure, grey means nothing? I don't know what green or blue + Atlas statue means.

The little statues are less-good treasure rooms (with monsters in them).

I don't remember green. Maybe it's some of the objective quests?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bogart posted:

red = enemies

treasure chest = treasure usually guarded by enemies, unless it's related to the dungeon quest

turquoise = activatable guarded by enemies

blue = wall, needs shovel (avoid if you can, when you are out of shovels, take alternate path)

purple = trap

grey = nothing

Be aware that backtracking to hallways you've been to can randomly spawn traps and fights again. People have had bugs with walls appearing again, but personally not seen it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lotish posted:

Like, you lose a leper, and you can take his mask home as a trinket that has qualities based on the quirks of the leper? That would be neat.

"Welcome to the crew! Here, have this free mask. No, don't ask where it came from. That isn't blood on it. Look, you signed up for this, you're obligated to do whatever I tell you."

This game asks how far you're willing to go to save your favorite hero but it should really ask how far the player will go to abuse their heroes for minor benefits.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant the nodes / hub things, not the hallways. Unless they're interchangable?

Also I'm an idiot and Green is just the node where you entered from.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Green is dungeon entrance.

Dackel posted:

Also I wonder what will happen with Darkest Dungeon mechanic if they refuse to go more than once. The roster is so tiny at 20... I'd really hate to just dismiss people for that, it would feel really stupid, gameplay-wise.
What's this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lotish posted:

Like, you lose a leper, and you can take his mask home as a trinket that has qualities based on the quirks of the leper? That would be neat.

More like if you lose a Leper that has Fated, you get a Fated materia and you can consume the materia to teach one of your other Lepers the Fated quirk.

That'd rule.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm hoping/thinking that the darkest dungeon will have to be approached different from the other ones. Like stress/bleed/blight effects all over the place, forcing you to spend more on supplies to get your guys farther, a pure -money wing that is also really dangerous. As it is, I haven't finished beating all the level 5 boss sections yet, but I've got 3 main teams, at 3/4/5, who all tend to romp through their dungeons with maybe 1-2 guys even needing a stress reliever break, or if I roll bad quirks at the end I ship them off for a week to watch some powerpoints on why necrophilia is bad. I'm also sitting at like 150k now, mostly because a successful dungeon really poops out the gold, and as your town gets upgraded you spend less gold each week fixing your guys, and less to upgrade them.

Maybe they just need to rework town upgrades and remove all the -cost bits and put something in their place, like temporary bonuses for the next dungeon run for stress reliever upgrades.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Don't forget it is still in early access. Its one of the better, more polished early access games, but they could still end up changing the game in some pretty dramatic ways by launch.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Oh yea, stuff can change a lot over early access. I'm just taking stock of where I've progressed to, and what the state my estate is in. I'm basically at a point where unless I just start ignoring the mechanics completely I'm not risking much, and tend to gain a bunch every mission. So I think if the end-game setup is a hard, risky dungeon where you'll likely lose parties or have them retreat, gibbering and insane, and then go train up a fresh crew in the side dungeons then this game'll be in a great spot.

Also something to do with heirlooms after you finish upgrading the buildings.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Jackard posted:

Green is dungeon entrance.

What's this?

The endgame dungeon "Darkest Dungeon" has a gimmick: Any Character you take there (if they survive) will NEVER EVER EVER go back there again, because of the horrible horrible things they've seen.

So get ready to have dozens of characters ready if you want to complete it, because 1 run won't do

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Am I missing something or can you just recruit four scrubs, send them on a level 0 mission, abort it immediately, and then dismiss said scrubs with no serious downside in order to advance the game by a week for "free"? Or are there some consequences to failing/aborting missions that I'm not seeing? Cause it seems like a pretty easy way to cheese the whole "Sit out a week to recuperate" mechanic and lets you always use your best team. Has a real game over state just not been implemented into the game yet?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

VDay posted:

Am I missing something or can you just recruit four scrubs, send them on a level 0 mission, abort it immediately, and then dismiss said scrubs with no serious downside in order to advance the game by a week for "free"? Or are there some consequences to failing/aborting missions that I'm not seeing? Cause it seems like a pretty easy way to cheese the whole "Sit out a week to recuperate" mechanic and lets you always use your best team. Has a real game over state just not been implemented into the game yet?

You can do this but why not see how far those scrubs get for free poo poo before dismissing them?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dackel posted:

The endgame dungeon "Darkest Dungeon" has a gimmick: Any Character you take there (if they survive) will NEVER EVER EVER go back there again, because of the horrible horrible things they've seen.

So get ready to have dozens of characters ready if you want to complete it, because 1 run won't do

Seems like if they want to keep this gimmick they should at least add some really expensive sanitarium option to remove their fear of the Darkest Dungeon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VDay posted:

Its a tactic discussed in the guide posted in the OP and mentioned throughout every few pages of this thread.
You're not missing anything, you can do that.

A real game over state hasn't been implemented but there probably won't be one. The game is tense enough as-is. You lose your party; that's the loss condition. You get to keep your gold and scrape together a new team.

They may add a mechanic to punish people trying to just "pass time" that way, they've mentioned they're looking into a few exploits and things but they're focused on bug fixes and stability first.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can do this but why not see how far those scrubs get for free poo poo before dismissing them?

Also this.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Internet Kraken posted:

Seems like if they want to keep this gimmick they should at least add some really expensive sanitarium option to remove their fear of the Darkest Dungeon.

Stress reduced by -20% in all other dungeons "At least it's not the Darkest" :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I just want the Darkest Dungeon to actually -be- maddeningly dark, both in gameplay terms and artwork.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Having the Darkest Dungeon abhor the light from the torch and wear it out faster could be interesting, especially if certain monsters only appeared at the lowest light levels.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Although I don't think it's been clarified if the Darkest Dungeon will work like the others do, with random missions. It could be a fixed set of special endgame missions or something similar.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I remember the days when the sun shone, or laughter could be heard from the tavern.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

odiv posted:

Entire Party Stress -10
One companion Stress +40

-3 SPD

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
RNG is great when your support Jester gets a burst of heroism and finishes off the last room in a mission against all odds, despite his companions being fearful/hopeless/masachostic and at death's door.

Not so great when on his next mission the entire enemy team gets crits on a surprise turn (at radiant light) and he dies with nothing I can do. Oh well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

Bandits are, far and away, the most dangerous enemies in the game. It's kinda messed up that I can run into a pack of slavering abominations and think "man, thank god its not a bunch of mundane human robbers."

Perhaps, man is the real monster.

Can't believe nobody wrote it first.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If you get surprised, the enemy doesn't get a free round, it just shuffles your party order. I'm becoming a fan of +prot items, they can be really effective. I've been thinking about trying to work up a party designed for low light medium runs, basically camp in the first room for buffs and just roll until you maximize whatever you're in the dungeon for, whether it is gold or shields or busts or whatever.

I think the basic 3 bandit encounter is perfect for teaching how useful pulls/swaps are, just it isn't readily apparent that the dagger guy can't attack from position 4 and the rifle guy's attack from position 1 is super crappy.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Okay, guys I'm firing up the game for the first time.

Thread really sold me on this game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Monocled Falcon posted:

Okay, guys I'm firing up the game for the first time.

Thread really sold me on this game.

If you were anything like me or anyone I know who's played this it will go:
"holy poo poo this game looks and sound amazing"
"holy poo poo this game is impossibly hard"
"God drat this is so hard why am I still playing I'm not getting anywhere with this"
"I upgraded my dudes, know how to build a good team, I got this poo poo"
"This is easy"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

"God drat this is so hard why am I still playing I'm not getting anywhere with this"
"This is easy"

You forgot the last line,

"gently caress I just lost my whole A-team, gently caress this game"

:)

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I have to say, the only thing I hate about this game is when they take complete control from you. Why even bother continuing? Just wipe the party or end the battle. I'd rather not watch my guys scare each other into literally never moving. One of those things were I want them all to die, just so I never have to watch them gently caress up 4 rounds in a row again.

-e- Like I wish I just had a Commisar like character to sit in the back and shoot people who pass 2 turns in a row.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 11, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

"This is easy"
Where is the rageposting in this lineup?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

You forgot the last line,

"gently caress I just lost my whole A-team, gently caress this game"

:)

And you learn to love stacking speed.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

HBNRW posted:

I have to say, the only thing I hate about this game is when they take complete control from you. Why even bother continuing? Just wipe the party or end the battle. I'd rather not watch my guys scare each other into literally never moving. One of those things were I want them all to die, just so I never have to watch them gently caress up 4 rounds in a row again.

-e- Like I wish I just had a Commisar like character to sit in the back and shoot people who pass 2 turns in a row.

going 100 stress and getting affliction never removes complete control from the player. It's only something like a 25-33% chance that the stressed character will do something you don't tell them to do.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jade Star posted:

going 100 stress and getting affliction never removes complete control from the player. It's only something like a 25-33% chance that the stressed character will do something you don't tell them to do.

What happens is one guy gets critted hits 100 stresses the others and it feels like you just watch poo poo spiral for several minutes unable to do anything needs a fast forward or something.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Jade Star posted:

Yes, but you have 4 people. If two of them unfortunately get fearful, you'll get to watch them switch your party's positioning (potentially making a party member useless for a turn), stress out everyone else, and/or refuse to act. I seriously had a fight where one guy got fearful at the start, stressed out my plague doctor, who then got irrational, who then proceeded to do nothing for 3 turns. All the while she's stressing out my bounty hunter, who then also got fearful, and then also decided he didn't want to fight. The party wiped because no one wanted to fight back. Which is really really dumb. If there's an in fight attempt to run mechanic, I would like to know what it is. This game is fun when it's fun. but it's stupid when the RNG decides it hates you.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
The Quirks in the game are really lacking. Most of the time I don't care what traits people are picking up since they tend to be mostly irrelevant or tiny.

Quirks should all be sort of like Rabies in that you get both benefits and problems and only able to get one per character level that has a huge impact on how that character plays and behaves. Right now 'good' traits just keep rolling over on top of one another and bad traits are only there to persuade you to dump money into the Sanitarium to remove it. That is pretty shallow game-play value for something that should be a much bigger deal.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 11, 2015

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

HBNRW posted:

If there's an in fight attempt to run mechanic, I would like to know what it is. This game is fun when it's fun. but it's stupid when the RNG decides it hates you.
There's a little red retreat flag in the upper left corner of the map, if I recall correctly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

HBNRW posted:

If there's an in fight attempt to run mechanic, I would like to know what it is. This game is fun when it's fun. but it's stupid when the RNG decides it hates you.

There's a white flag on the minimap that retreats from a fight (must have active turn) as well as a white flag in the upper left that abandons the current quest.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Cliche though it is, I think it would most fit the game's tone if characters who die could re-appear as "zombies" or similarly-corrupted enemies.

When a Hero Zombie appears, your party takes a minor but immediate Stress hit. However, killing a Hero Zombie "lays them to rest" and gives your party a heavy Stress heal. Also, any special equipment the hero had when they died will be dropped by their Hero Zombie. Hero Zombies would have the same moves as the character who died, but not necessarily the same stats (instead balanced to fit the area).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Is it possible to increase your maximum roster by editing the files?