Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Saw someone riding one of those the other day with a café seat/bars and ohlins shocks. I had to laugh.

That's factory now. Got some good reviews in a bunch of magazines. And they still don't sell for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Saw someone riding one of those the other day with a café seat/bars and ohlins shocks. I had to laugh.

It wasn't the Continental GT was it? Warning: That site is hipster as gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I believe it was, yeah. What a tremendous waste of money, even by bike standards.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"29.1 horsepower"

for an Enfield, decimal points matter. Because a matter of decimals could be the difference between victory, and pulling your pants up and leaving the Howard Johnson's in shame.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The GT has a "high compression" kit in the engine. Higher compression than the other Enfields. So it's 8.5:1. That's lower compression than a 1970 BMW. And despite that race level upgrade, it feels precisely as fast as the other Enfields on the road, which is none fast. No fast at all.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Geirskogul posted:

Video of first startup and idling. Really a paint-shaker with wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X4QL2Pl6Bk

(may still be processing)

Are those rear indicators stock? They're exactly the same as those on my Honda VTR 250.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, they're $5/pair eBay specials. The stock rubber indicators literally melted in the Phoenix heat and ended up drooping. I think it also had some plastic Honda lollipop knockoffs at one point, but they shattered into a million pieces the first time the bike tipped over.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I turned my bike into a naked bike

Then I adjusted the valves

Cover up little ninja, you'll catch cold.

Also discovered some... Goop... when I drained the coolant. Should I be concerned about this?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If all that oil came out with your coolant you've definitely got a problem.
I'd guess leaking oil/water heat exchanger (if it has one) but it could be head gasket. Dig around on your bike specific forums and I'm sure you'll find out what's common.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The GT has a "high compression" kit in the engine. Higher compression than the other Enfields. So it's 8.5:1. That's lower compression than a 1970 BMW. And despite that race level upgrade, it feels precisely as fast as the other Enfields on the road, which is none fast. No fast at all.

It's actually a pretty fun bike to ride in town, the engine seems a lot more willing than the stock Enfield and it does actually handle pretty well, but all those things only apply in isolation - the moment you compare it to anything even vaguely modern it turns back into a pumpkin. I will say with the Arrow pipes on it it sounds loving fantastic.

If I had a garage I'd probably have one for weekend posing, because it's a drat good-looking bike even with the hipster stink hanging on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The UK is cold and damp. Cold and damp air is denser. I think air that dense is too difficult for a R.E. to suck through the intake; I'd be amazed if you got one to start at all. It simply isn't designed for such harsh conditions.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
New plug, coolant flush, spark plug, oil change, removal of ratty evap equipment, mosfet rectifier conversion.

swingarm bolts are seized in the frame. oh well, I'll deal with it later!

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 8, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Maintenance day. Both bikes got air in the tires, a clean chain, chain adjustment, controls adjusted/generally hosed with, and a quick hose-down to get the mud and road poo poo off of them.

DRZ got a few new fasteners, bought some skateboard wheels to replace my current axle sliders, some more oil, more coolant, brake pads (a few days ago), a freshly clean air filter, and I've reseated the air intake on the carb because the drat thing was really close to slipping off the carb. Crisis averted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Plugs on the hyoshit. Front cylinder: perfect russet colour, very worn. Rear cylinder: covered in oil, only half worn.

It's a V-oneandahalf and I don't give a poo poo :sun:

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Just did some of the 12k service on my 2006 F650gs I acquired a few weeks ago with some help from a family member who's more mechanically inclined than myself, and does most of his own work on his various motos. It's the first maintenance that I've really done on it since getting it a few weeks ago. Was helpful to have someone around to help me understand some things and validate some of the wacky things the PO's did...

Changed oil, coolant, checked tension and clearances on chains/cables/levers. Lights, brake pads, steering, etc all checked.

The filter in the airbox was smashed up sideways and the airbox was full of dirt, oil (what does this mean?), and bugs. Replaced the paper filter with a much sturdier k&n filter that will hopefully not end collapsing itself like the paper one somehow had.

The oil change called for 2.3 liters with a filter change. The dipstick never touched the middle mark until we used nearly 2.7 liters (with running for 30 seconds after the first 2L) . Hope we didn't overfill it.

We gave up on checking the valve clearances because it was way deep in the bike and seemed really complicated, even with the help of some really well written walk throughs. Can I just take it to a BMW or some other euro shop and have them do that? Will probably cost just as much as the full service with all the things that need to be ripped off...

Also holy poo poo the oil sump bolt on these bikes is dumb- 24mm socket is needed, but the bolt only has a few 2-3mm of head to catch on. The socket kept wanting to slip off or strip and round off all the corners of the aluminum bolt. It seemed waaaay over torqued.

I guess I need to find a 24mm socket that isn't rounded at the entrance, or see if there is a better aftermarket plug available since mine is a bit mangled now. Also I need to buy 1/2 inch adapter for my torque wrench since it is 3/8's, and I'm not sure if I can trust a human's idea of "good enough" to count on it not falling out of loose or cracking the threads if too tight. Maybe some big vice grips would have worked better?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Just did some of the 12k service on my 2006 F650gs I acquired a few weeks ago with some help from a family member who's more mechanically inclined than myself, and does most of his own work on his various motos. It's the first maintenance that I've really done on it since getting it a few weeks ago. Was helpful to have someone around to help me understand some things and validate some of the wacky things the PO's did...

Changed oil, coolant, checked tension and clearances on chains/cables/levers. Lights, brake pads, steering, etc all checked.

The filter in the airbox was smashed up sideways and the airbox was full of dirt, oil (what does this mean?), and bugs. Replaced the paper filter with a much sturdier k&n filter that will hopefully not end collapsing itself like the paper one somehow had.

Bike's been dropped and oil has pooled up in the airbox after dribbling out of the crank case vent.

The oil change called for 2.3 liters with a filter change. The dipstick never touched the middle mark until we used nearly 2.7 liters (with running for 30 seconds after the first 2L) . Hope we didn't overfill it.

Sounds like you didn't have the bike upright.

We gave up on checking the valve clearances because it was way deep in the bike and seemed really complicated, even with the help of some really well written walk throughs. Can I just take it to a BMW or some other euro shop and have them do that? Will probably cost just as much as the full service with all the things that need to be ripped off...

Also holy poo poo the oil sump bolt on these bikes is dumb- 24mm socket is needed, but the bolt only has a few 2-3mm of head to catch on. The socket kept wanting to slip off or strip and round off all the corners of the aluminum bolt. It seemed waaaay over torqued.

I guess I need to find a 24mm socket that isn't rounded at the entrance, or see if there is a better aftermarket plug available since mine is a bit mangled now. Also I need to buy 1/2 inch adapter for my torque wrench since it is 3/8's, and I'm not sure if I can trust a human's idea of "good enough" to count on it not falling out of loose or cracking the threads if too tight. Maybe some big vice grips would have worked better?

You need a six sided socket or a long ring spanner. You should be able to undo a sump plug without instantly needing vice grips.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Bike's been dropped and oil has pooled up in the airbox after dribbling out of the crank case vent.

Sounds like you didn't have the bike upright.

You need a six sided socket or a long ring spanner. You should be able to undo a sump plug without instantly needing vice grips.

Thanks! Yes the bike has clearly been dropped before I bought it- that makes sense. Good to know.

We had the bike on the center stand for the oil change- it seemed level? I'll have to play with the level I guess.

I went and bought a 24mm socket- 6 sided. It was actually an impact socket since that was the only type I could find at the store that wasn't 12 sided. The socket worked well, just needed to apply plenty of upward pressure to keep it from slipping off. The f650gs faq website mentions the oil sump bolts are often over torqued and a pain to remove.

Thanks!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aren't you supposed to check oil after at least a few minutes of running the engine? My old ninja 250 didn't ever read correctly (sight glass, not dipstick) until after about 5-10 minutes of riding it. I overfilled it the first time I did an oil change because I didn't realize this. After 10 minutes the oil level was reading over the max line.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
With any bike you should be checking the manual to see how to read the oil cause it can vary.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Finished up the tail. Before/after (sorry for the vertical video :downs:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugsEqEjnaZA

Also, fender.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

nsaP posted:

With any bike you should be checking the manual to see how to read the oil cause it can vary.

Yup. :doh: It is supposed to be checked hot. That explains things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Finished up the tail. Before/after (sorry for the vertical video :downs:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugsEqEjnaZA

Also, fender.

That headlight bracket is....disappointing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

"Let's use carbon steel for something that's out in the elements" - Aztec 8

I don't really like the bracket/speedo holder setup overall, but there's literally nothing else available for a gsxr swapped SV, and I can't make a mount myself.

e: unless I want to spend $250 on a custom gsxr upper triple that holds the SV gauge :laffo:

M42 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 9, 2015

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Rode the things! First time riding in two weeks after getting LASIK and holy poo poo is it ever awesome to be able to see perfectly while riding.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Got a bit ambitious yesterday. Swapped the bent bar with a pro-taper 7/8ths model. Got new tires on the rims, got em balanced, new sprockets, new chain.

New list of things needing to be done.

Pull off the carbs and clean them, the bike spits and dies just off idle to about 4500 RPM. Idles great though, and pulls fine past 5K to redline. Probably pilots/needle passages clogged.

New brake pads, the ones on the bike have plenty of material left but look like garbage.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Just cleaned it, but I did install a new air intake and a V&H fuelpak a few days ago, and a new exhaust about a month ago. Love the new sound it puts out. Still need to install the passenger seat.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Duck_King posted:

Just cleaned it, but I did install a new air intake and a V&H fuelpak a few days ago, and a new exhaust about a month ago. Love the new sound it puts out. Still need to install the passenger seat.

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
That's a pretty nice Bolt.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Turns out motorcycles run a lot better when the carb rack is attached with four hose clamps, and isn't falling off so that only three of the carbs are actually attached :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You don't need that fourth cylinder, it's just there for backup.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thing is, my fiancee has been riding around for about a month since I saw it last, four days a week, and she's reported no problems (other than the smoking at stops - it needs valve stem seals bad). I even rode it yesterday with no major issues. Started up fine, rode around, went to the shops, and even took it to work (18 miles via freeway). Today I took the side covers off to do some tuning up (installed a new battery a month ago, always like re-checking the fasteners a few miles off from any work to be sure nothing has loosened) and notice the carb just hanging there, and gasoline stains on the case below it.

It's been off long enough that the rubber got hot and deformed on the intake boot so much that I needed to wrap a ratchet strap around the head and the carb rack to squeeze it on. Even then, it was a solid 15-20 minutes of grunting, pulling, prodding, twisting, and swearing, combined with much gnashing of teeth to get the whole rack on enough that I could squeeze a hose clamp around it. Kind of like my sex life :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:catstare: how the gently caress.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Apparently true. 1979 CB650

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think your bike needs a lot more than valve seals if you didn't notice when one of your cylinders didn't have a carb attached to it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

So thats why the brits and italians build 3s.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is it so they only have one superfluous cylinder?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It's so they have two hot spares. They've learned from experience that it'll probably be necessary.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well no see you have the one in the middle does all the work, one spare off to the side and then another spare on the other side for balance. Otherwise the bike would just fall over.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Bike fell over in the dirt where I usually park it (bit of rain softened the ground). Not too much damage aside from a scratched headlight thankfully, but still not how you want to start your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Barnsy posted:

Bike fell over in the dirt where I usually park it (bit of rain softened the ground). Not too much damage aside from a scratched headlight thankfully, but still not how you want to start your day.

That is ratshit. The emotional anguish of this is out of all proportion to the actual damage that's usually done.