Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Anatharon posted:

Drakengard 3 admitting you have terrible sections of gameplay does not excuse it.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was terrible about this too. There was plenty of humor in the game without layering a bunch of forced ironic "Haha aren't arbitrary collectibles and unskippable tutorials so bad? Now sit through this unskippable tutorial and collect 20 VHS tapes :razz:" commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was terrible about this too. There was plenty of humor in the game without layering a bunch of forced ironic "Haha aren't arbitrary collectibles and unskippable tutorials so bad? Now sit through this unskippable tutorial and collect 20 VHS tapes :razz:" commentary.

The tutorial was funny, and you are right it does suck after the first time, but why would you collect tapes if you didn't wan to? How does having something being optional drag a game down?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think his point was less about whether it's optional or not and more the fact that they make fun of something that they play totally straight because that's just how you make a good video game. The tutorial thing definitely rubbed me the wrong way too because Far Cry 3 has lots of mechanics other games don't (the in-depth sneaking mechanics specifically), and the hypocritical nature of making fun of tutorials in video games while also making you do one because you otherwise wouldn't know how to play... is a bit disingenuous of them.

They half-assed their satire because the game would be lacking in content. They had the balls to make fun of collectible hunting but then put one in anyway because they didn't have the balls to dare to make a statement on it by actually excluding it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Feb 11, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ChaosArgate posted:

They didn't add anything to the HD collection. It's just flat out the PS2 version of Subsistence with a few things taken out. The 3DS version is the version they added stuff to. I don't get it either. :shrug:

Wait there's a 3DS version of MGS3? Wow shows how little I know.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

CJacobs posted:

I think his point was less about whether it's optional or not and more the fact that they make fun of something that they play totally straight because that's just how you make a good video game. The tutorial thing definitely rubbed me the wrong way too because Far Cry 3 has lots of mechanics other games don't (the in-depth sneaking mechanics specifically), and the hypocritical nature of making fun of tutorials in video games while also making you do one because you otherwise wouldn't know how to play... is a bit disingenuous of them.

They half-assed their satire because the game would be lacking in content. They had the balls to make fun of collectible hunting but then put one in anyway because they didn't have the balls to dare to make a statement on it by actually excluding it.

They could always do something like make the collectables brutally hard to collect and kill you at the end.

(This is a thing that has been done)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Phobophilia posted:

They could always do something like make the collectables brutally hard to collect and kill you at the end.

(This is a thing that has been done)

You thinking of Illusion of Gaia, where your reward for collecting all of the red jewels (one of which requires you to do something morally reprehensible, and many of which are missable) is to get your rear end kicked by a bonus boss?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

MrJacobs posted:

The tutorial was funny, and you are right it does suck after the first time, but why would you collect tapes if you didn't wan to? How does having something being optional drag a game down?

If you're a huge :spergin: completionist, those "collect 20 x!" quests are not really optional to you even if they're a pain in the rear end and you hate every minute of it.

And sometimes games give really good rewards for them that might make you slog your way through it.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

You thinking of Illusion of Gaia, where your reward for collecting all of the red jewels (one of which requires you to do something morally reprehensible, and many of which are missable) is to get your rear end kicked by a bonus boss?

This sounds cool.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kimmalah posted:

If you're a huge :spergin: completionist, those "collect 20 x!" quests are not really optional to you even if they're a pain in the rear end and you hate every minute of it.

And sometimes games give really good rewards for them that might make you slog your way through it.

I think since Far Cry 2, the collectibles have an unlockable gun/weapon attached to them which is almost always worth it. It's still tedious though.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In every Mass Effect game, you fly around the galaxy picking up a team of ultimate soldiers, assassins, mercenaries and off brand jedi. You're often getting dropped of in the middle of massive firefight against literal killing machines. So how does Shepard handle this? By only taking two dudes with him. What are the rest of his team doing meanwhile? Just sitting on their hands? I understand why this is gameplay wise, but if I was getting dropped off in a war zone you best know I'd come correct.

Some general ME3 complaints.

-I thought it was cool that the Rachni you saved in ME1 came back as Reaper forces. It seemed like needing to be the hero had terrible consequences you couldn't have forseen. Then I read that if you killed the queen in 1, the Reapers just say "gently caress it" and clone the queen anyways. The main brunt of Biowares hype machine was that you would have to make tough choices that would effect the whole series, but they always found a way to cop out.

-James is a massive tool and is designed solely to appeal to some oorah military fetishists.

-Reapers chasing you around in the galaxy map. I don't understand how this was intended to add to the entertainment value. It's just frustrating.

-I like the multiplayer, but it really needs more game modes.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

grittyreboot posted:

-Reapers chasing you around in the galaxy map. I don't understand how this was intended to add to the entertainment value. It's just frustrating.

The deafening "HOOOOOOOONK" sound when the Reapers detect you on the map is funny the first few times but just becomes a very loud annoyance after that.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Big shout out to Lego Marvel Super Heroes. I thought this one was going to be a fun little simple game I could play with my 5 year old. Nope!

- Oh, you forgot to break every single little obscure object in the level, including the one partially hidden behind a wall? Looks like you aren't moving on.
- Press the button one millisecond too long? Mr. Fantastic just turned in to a loving teacup, instead of turning in to an accordion, or whatever other bullshit.
- Hey idiot! You should be using laser beams to blow up that barrel of flammable liquid, not missiles!

It's gotten to the point where I beg him to play Castle Crashers instead

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

FredMSloniker posted:

nothing is harder than doing morally reprehensible things in video games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Mind you, that bonus boss is the same guy you've been giving the gems to all this time and the secret head of the slave ring you'd been encountering throughout the game.

Illusion of Gaia was weird sometimes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

grittyreboot posted:

In every Mass Effect game, you fly around the galaxy picking up a team of ultimate soldiers, assassins, mercenaries and off brand jedi. You're often getting dropped of in the middle of massive firefight against literal killing machines. So how does Shepard handle this? By only taking two dudes with him. What are the rest of his team doing meanwhile? Just sitting on their hands? I understand why this is gameplay wise, but if I was getting dropped off in a war zone you best know I'd come correct.

I hate this kind of BS so much.

Like you said, I know it's a gameplay consideration, but at least try to find some in-game reason. It'd be cool if you could take your un-used people and send them on little "mini missions." Things that aren't required, but maybe net you some small rewards, or whatnot. Just so you can say,
"Oh, I am only taking these two dudes with me because the other guys are off patrolling the something something sector."

Chrono Trigger, because it is the best RPG, at least had some sort of in-universe reason. It was silly and arbitrary (these time portals just happen to only let three people travel at once? How odd...) but at least it was something. AND they integrated it into the story by making the first time you try to use more than 3 people send you to the end of time so you can meet Mr.Exposition.

I never played FFX myself, but I watched my roommates played it, and that one annoyed me the most with this poo poo. You could swap out players in the middle of battle. Meaning that, "in universe," the other members of your party are literally standing just off to the side of the battle, but for some reason, you can still only use three at a time.

Also, Blitzball is just loving water polo, why do I see it on lists of poo poo like "best mini-game/video game sport!" and also that one lady fights with a drat teddy bear and that's stupid.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The one time Shepard did take everyone for a mission, The Collectors invaded the ship, the crew got kidnapped and Joker almost died, granted this was down to a Reaper trap, but still. :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

ZeusCannon posted:

COD:AW you give me a goddamn double jump and then make it so I can't jump up to the top of any loving map. Every time I go hey cool I can cut through here INVISIBLE loving WALL no you cant stay on the ground pubbie. All this game does is make me want to play Titanfall more.

Dream Drop was bad at this. One of the new gimmicks is a magic parkour system - which you can pretty much use to go anywhere, except unless its something they don't want you going on.
Tron land was the worst about this - there are several sections where you climb up/down some walkways that you can't parkour because they were dead set about you walking these things.

The game also has various platforming things in some worlds like a manta-ray to ride, or moving platforms, or rising glowy stairs but parkouring magic makes them pretty useless. It's kind of sad because occasionally the game will point out things like these in a "you should do this" cutscene, only for you to ignore them completely and just zip up the wall instead.

And then late in the game you get gliding and a double jump where you will only need for one or two chests.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

grittyreboot posted:

They actually make a joke about this in the Citadel DLC, and end up bringing the entire team (plus the DLC's exposition character and Cortez) along for a mission that culminates in everyone mowing down a team of mercs while Shepard scrambles for cover. :v:

Also James is unironically great. :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, Blitzball is just loving water polo, why do I see it on lists of poo poo like "best mini-game/video game sport!" and also that one lady fights with a drat teddy bear and that's stupid.

actually blitzball owns

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

grittyreboot posted:

-I thought it was cool that the Rachni you saved in ME1 came back as Reaper forces. It seemed like needing to be the hero had terrible consequences you couldn't have forseen. Then I read that if you killed the queen in 1, the Reapers just say "gently caress it" and clone the queen anyways. The main brunt of Biowares hype machine was that you would have to make tough choices that would effect the whole series, but they always found a way to cop out.

Not to excuse Bioware's hype, but before ME3 came out (and even ME2), I always was dubious that they'd be able to live up to the hype they generated. To make 'meaningful decisions' actually meaningful, then you would have to wall off entire segments of gameplay based on actions from an entirely different game. Talk about artistic license all you want, but that always struck me as a tremendous allocation of resources that only a limited audience would experience. And unlike, say, MMO raids, by opening up that content you lock out other content. And then you have people who didn't play the previous games. "So hey did you kill that iguana-guy in the game you never played? Oh you didn't? Well I guess you won't get to see this one part all your friends are talking about." I'm not saying a game can't be made this way, but I doubt that a AAA game could do it, especially not one that involves Ye Publisher That Shall Not Be Named.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

actually blitzball owns

truth

DrBouvenstein posted:

I hate this kind of BS so much.

Like you said, I know it's a gameplay consideration, but at least try to find some in-game reason. It'd be cool if you could take your un-used people and send them on little "mini missions." Things that aren't required, but maybe net you some small rewards, or whatnot. Just so you can say,
"Oh, I am only taking these two dudes with me because the other guys are off patrolling the something something sector."

I always wondered why they didn't put in a simple email or something after each mission. "Hey Shep, while you were away, we picked up a distress signal from a nearby mining colony. Batarian slavers overran the place. Kasumi infiltrated the colony, did recon, and then Grunt and Garrus broke down the front doors and wasted all the Batarians. I think Jason was there too but I don't remember what he did. Anyway the miners gave us a lot of palladium as a 'thank you' gift."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Receiver would be a hell of a lot better if the taser drones didn't have localized damage. On the sentry turrets it's cool, I completely get what they're doing there, but zippy buzzy tiny flying enemies have never been and will never be fun to fight in a shooter, let alone ones that can instakill you.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ElGroucho posted:

Big shout out to Lego Marvel Super Heroes. I thought this one was going to be a fun little simple game I could play with my 5 year old. Nope!

- Oh, you forgot to break every single little obscure object in the level, including the one partially hidden behind a wall? Looks like you aren't moving on.
- Press the button one millisecond too long? Mr. Fantastic just turned in to a loving teacup, instead of turning in to an accordion, or whatever other bullshit.
- Hey idiot! You should be using laser beams to blow up that barrel of flammable liquid, not missiles!

At least Coulson normally tells you what you should be doing.
I had to reload an earlier save once because of that stupid teacup thing. Achievement Unlocked

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'd be fine with only ever having two characters with you if they'd let me choose to bring Garrus twice. Or just Garrus and run as buddy cops.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Who What Now posted:

I'd be fine with only ever having two characters with you if they'd let me choose to bring Garrus twice. Or just Garrus and run as buddy cops.

Solution: Bring Garrus and whatever flat character you think looks the best.
But yes, Garrus is awesome, and belongs in a game with much better characters (even people who like Mass Effect, and I don't exactly hate it myself, must surely agree they seem to have sacrificed character-depth for the sake of keeping the action flowing, right?)

I feel like this has essentially been posted already, but I think that was over in the dedicated Dungeonmans thread, and it's still something I 'rediscovered' myself.
Playing a bunch of Dungeonmans, the game generally plays rather well, but I keep being incredibly annoyed at not being able to 'run' like in other roguelikes.
I've lost several characters to manually walking around in a mostly-safe area, then suddenly being spotted by a mage and taking half my health over the course of one or two turns, since I don't have the defenses up.
I can kinda compensate for it by always having my defensive abilities ready, and taking twice as long to move through any area, but all I'd need to be able to move freely would be a 'move until there's either an enemy or a decision that has to be made (like stairs, branching paths, etcetera)' function.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Kimmalah posted:

I've collected all 100 feathers in Assassin's Creed 2 at least 5 times.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

DStecks posted:

Receiver would be a hell of a lot better if the taser drones didn't have localized damage. On the sentry turrets it's cool, I completely get what they're doing there, but zippy buzzy tiny flying enemies have never been and will never be fun to fight in a shooter, let alone ones that can instakill you.

Once shot out of the sky, they can get the player as they walk by if the drone's taser and camera are intact. Or as it falls, carried with its momentum. Or the player can get unlucky, sink precious ammo into one but miss the important hitboxes. Or shoot one while it is loaded but has its AI inactivated, so that approaching its "wake-up" radius it just floats in air, not obviously dead.

Receiver has a lot of problems, the flying drones make them obvious.

Hobo By Design has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Feb 11, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

TheSpiritFox posted:

Have you considered therapy?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MrJacobs posted:

When it's only optional if you don't want to unlock/upgrade stuff that is expected for game advancement? Like, if you don't find the TVs, you can never make the shotgun awesome. And you must make the shotgun awesome because until the D2 from FC4 it was the best shotgun in gaming. :hellyeah:

In BD that didn't drag things down for me so much because it's really easy to identify where all the collectibles you want are and beeline straight for them.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This complaint is unfair, but one thing that bugged me about Mass Effect and KOTOR was that space battles were either handled in a cut scene or limited to gallery-shooter gameplay. I say it's unfair because I know that developers don't have unlimited time and money and that it's smarter to focus on delivering a tight gameplay experience instead of delivering a bunch of half-baked components. But at the end of Mass Effect 1, my feeling is that it would have been more natural for the last battle with Sovereign had been in space, and indeed the cutscene fight looked more exciting than the ground fight with Sovereign that seemed tacked on by comparison.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Polaron posted:

They actually make a joke about this in the Citadel DLC, and end up bringing the entire team (plus the DLC's exposition character and Cortez) along for a mission that culminates in everyone mowing down a team of mercs while Shepard scrambles for cover. :v:

Also James is unironically great. :colbert:

The best part of Citadel was in the final part of the mission where you have a pool of like 15 people to pick from. I picked my team of 2 and Grunt just blurts out "But I wanted to ride in the car!" and Javik says "50,000 years and I'm still picked last."

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

TheSpiritFox posted:

I did it twice because I feel weirdly guilty if I just let Ezio's mom linger in her fugue state forever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

aerion111 posted:

I feel like this has essentially been posted already, but I think that was over in the dedicated Dungeonmans thread, and it's still something I 'rediscovered' myself.
Playing a bunch of Dungeonmans, the game generally plays rather well, but I keep being incredibly annoyed at not being able to 'run' like in other roguelikes.
I've lost several characters to manually walking around in a mostly-safe area, then suddenly being spotted by a mage and taking half my health over the course of one or two turns, since I don't have the defenses up.
I can kinda compensate for it by always having my defensive abilities ready, and taking twice as long to move through any area, but all I'd need to be able to move freely would be a 'move until there's either an enemy or a decision that has to be made (like stairs, branching paths, etcetera)' function.

I have a hard time playing roguelikes without autoexplore, it's such a great feature. Dungeonmans is good but it's just too tedious for me to clear dungeons manually when there are other good roguelikes that don't make you do that. Not having autoexplore works ok in roguelikes where the dungeon is made up of Nethack style rooms and hallways, or ones with fairly small levels.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Dude that game was my first Lego game and frustrated me so much it turned me off from all the others. Such a tedious game I have no idea how it's for kids.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

TheSpiritFox posted:

I always collect the 10 book pages for this quest in Skyrim just because I like the reward. It doesn't sound bad until you realize the book pages are tiny and scattered around a huge boring area where everything looks the same.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Kimmalah posted:

I always collect the 10 book pages for this quest in Skyrim just because I like the reward. It doesn't sound bad until you realize the book pages are tiny and scattered around a huge boring area where everything looks the same.

poo poo so they're scattered across the whole world map then?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

LoonShia posted:

Have you considered therapy?

It wasn't quite that bad. By the third time it only took a couple of hours to manage it because I remembered where they all were and had something of a route through each area to hit them all as fast as possible. Then it just became the longest checkpoint race in the game.

effervescible posted:

I did it twice because I feel weirdly guilty if I just let Ezio's mom linger in her fugue state forever.

I just want the hammer and only getting 50 feathers tweaks my OCD.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lotish posted:

When it's only optional if you don't want to unlock/upgrade stuff that is expected for game advancement? Like, if you don't find the TVs, you can never make the shotgun awesome. And you must make the shotgun awesome because until the D2 from FC4 it was the best shotgun in gaming. :hellyeah:

In BD that didn't drag things down for me so much because it's really easy to identify where all the collectibles you want are and beeline straight for them.

To rub it in every time you grab a collectible Rex will make a quip like "Why am I collecting this crap?!" or "I'm collecting poo poo to unlock poo poo that I buy with more poo poo, how the gently caress does that work?!" or "At least I'm not collecting feathers."

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sleeveless posted:

To rub it in every time you grab a collectible Rex will make a quip like "Why am I collecting this crap?!" or "I'm collecting poo poo to unlock poo poo that I buy with more poo poo, how the gently caress does that work?!" or "At least I'm not collecting feathers."

Haha great.

(walking down a corridor)
Protagonist: Why am I doing these bullshit activities?

(discovering a side room with a shotgun and health items)
Protagonist: Ha ha, yeah. As if.

(shooting a zombie in the head)
Protagonist: This is loving gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tardcore posted:

poo poo so they're scattered across the whole world map then?

If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, it's Jiub's Opus in the Soul Cairn and it is indeed boring as poo poo, but hey it's the guy from Morrowind.

**and no your joke didn't go above my head but at least Skyrim has a map, traversing Vvardenfell is just terrifying.

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Feb 12, 2015