Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

People posting about how they hate low content threadshitting is just as bad as low content threadshitting. The only thing worse is posting about posting about low content thread making GBS threads.

Now I'm the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

People posting about how they hate low content threadshitting is just as bad as low content threadshitting. The only thing worse is posting about posting about low content thread making GBS threads.

Now I'm the monster.

you freed up my mumble cert once, and maybe twice

you are absolved, friend

also your av is top 10 on SA

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

redwalrus posted:

This seems to be the theme happening with games on a consistent basis now and it sucks.

other than the obvious poo poo about the monsters and hunters being gated, tbqh even the cosmetic poo poo on release day makes me mad. The game is loving two days old, how can you justify charging people $5 to change their colours in a full loving price game. It is obscene.

If you keep working on a game, and in six months release some cool new poo poo that's fine, but on release day? Go gently caress yourself

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Now I'm the monster.

monsters in this game are metaphorical. goliaths are big dumb posters, wraiths are clever cool posters, krakens are big shocking posters

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im a wraith

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Eonwe posted:

btw i hope nobody takes things serious or actually gets mad at me over video game forum posts

i like playing with most of you

Getting mad at a post on the internet is one of the stupidest things you can do.

Me I'm just disappointed that we've had 16 pages of posts now where less than half have contained complete sentences about the game itself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Eonwe posted:

im a wraith

im a behemoth: you have to pay monies to see me.....and even then.....you don't know when I'll show up

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

monsters in this game are metaphorical. goliaths are big dumb posters, wraiths are clever cool posters, krakens are big shocking posters

And Behemoths are platinum posters.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

THE PENETRATOR posted:

L4D was a series of objective-based push maps under multiple overarching campaigns while this is an arena game similar to Counter-Strike and what we can gather from this is that L4D was a Single-Player Experience with Cooperative Gameplay, this is a Multiplayer Experience that has Offline Versus Bots, and they are different
L4D also had an eb and flow across the levels, with calm moments interrupted by ambush points, panic events, and set pieces, with the odd Tank boss fight. The multiple combinations of zombie classes allowed for many unpredictable combinations and situations. I played L4D to death.

Evolve seems to be the equivalent of an extended Tank fight, only spread across a huge space so the hunters spend more time fighting the terrain than anything. The closest thing to a L4D clusterfuck is when the monster somehow baits the hunters into wildlife, or the Wraiths' snatch ability.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

People saying "oh its not the fact that they don't like the game it's that there's no content to the posts" are full of poo poo. Some random guy posting "This game is a lot of fun!" is providing exactly as much content to the thread as "this game sucks horse balls". Yet somehow those posts never get called out by all the people who complain about threadshitting. I wonder why

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

MinibarMatchman posted:

im a behemoth: you have to pay monies to see me.....and even then.....you don't know when I'll show up

Sounds like a spaceship in Star Citizen. :golfclap: or the 'Kombat Pack' in the upcoming MKX or every other game from 2014-2016. :doh:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think the actual game is kind of cool but I agree the DLC is offputting at best. I also agree that the gating sucks but people really seem to want a feeling of 'progession' in games, even if it is lovely and gets in the way of picking the stuff you think is most fun.

Of course a lot of times if you complain about a grind people try to crawl up your rear end about 'instant gratification', as if you are some kind of mutant for wanting to sit down with a game and have fun the whole time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The gameplay of evolve is not bad and can be pretty fun despite some inherent balance difficulties, the amount of content you get for $60 is questionable and reminds me most of Brink, and the dlc/monetization scheme is loving unacceptable

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Nipper posted:

L4D also had an eb and flow across the levels, with calm moments interrupted by ambush points, panic events, and set pieces, with the odd Tank boss fight. The multiple combinations of zombie classes allowed for many unpredictable combinations and situations. I played L4D to death.

Evolve seems to be the equivalent of an extended Tank fight, only spread across a huge space so the hunters spend more time fighting the terrain than anything. The closest thing to a L4D clusterfuck is when the monster somehow baits the hunters into wildlife, or the Wraiths' snatch ability.

Also was watching JP and once he lost his dedicated 4 player team the match quality dived HARD. Apparently a dev was around and he felt bad about openly slagging it in front of him.

these are some great points and it probably would have been cooler if there were like 6 or 7 big L4D-esque campaigns of 3-4 levels each, complete with not only hunts but battling smaller monsters across big dynamic maps. that would have been really cool and especially awesome with how nice this looks graphically. but as it is now, it's pretty boring and the actual slogging after a single thing > then just a slobberknocker fight for 2 minutes, I'm apathetic to it. even the other game modes are just kind of boring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly the thing that puts me more on fence about this game isn't the crappy DLC but rather the out of match progression perks. How is this game supposed to be balanced when players can have all sorts of progression in different skills? How exactly does the matchmaking take that into account?

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Prawned posted:

other than the obvious poo poo about the monsters and hunters being gated, tbqh even the cosmetic poo poo on release day makes me mad. The game is loving two days old, how can you justify charging people $5 to change their colours in a full loving price game. It is obscene.

If you keep working on a game, and in six months release some cool new poo poo that's fine, but on release day? Go gently caress yourself

Yeah gently caress that poo poo.

http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Robot_Enrichment_Store

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Contest Winner posted:

I think the actual game is kind of cool but I agree the DLC is offputting at best. I also agree that the gating sucks but people really seem to want a feeling of 'progession' in games, even if it is lovely and gets in the way of picking the stuff you think is most fun.

Of course a lot of times if you complain about a grind people try to crawl up your rear end about 'instant gratification', as if you are some kind of mutant for wanting to sit down with a game and have fun the whole time.

They should have gone nuts with cosmetics + perks for the progression instead of these stupid little + tiny % bonuses that barely impact the gameplay. Like really play up those stupid profile badges and unlockables for them from levelling up (which you do get now but they could go harder on it). Add more skins as part of the leveling instead of the elite ones at the end.

Perks are actually cool how they are imo. I like that everyone gets to pick one nice bonus to change their character a bit and I like that you unlock more as you play more since everyone gets something and after like 4 matches you probably have a nice little selection.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Al Nipper posted:

That reminds me, I found this awesome pdf of the actualy theory of the ebb and flow of the original game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9dSEqpvQy_aQjVzVHVWd1hibGc/view?usp=sharing

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly the thing that puts me more on fence about this game isn't the crappy DLC but rather the out of match progression perks. How is this game supposed to be balanced when players can have all sorts of progression in different skills? How exactly does the matchmaking take that into account?

Those tiny % bump masteries are pretty stupid and almost too small to even matter. They add almost nothing other than a sense of progression but the game has other ways with your custom badge and perk list you pick from each match.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
so they want the game to be competitive, have matchmaking and prevent you from playing the monster with friends if you don't have a private lobby.... but also have levels and perks that make you better than other players?? pretty hosed up

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the more I read about it the more I just want to play Giants: Citizen Kabuto....

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Lblitzer posted:

That reminds me, I found this awesome pdf of the actualy theory of the ebb and flow of the original game.

Too bad Mike Booth left the company in the hands of two texture artists from CS:GO

THE PENETRATOR posted:

so they want the game to be competitive, have matchmaking and prevent you from playing the monster with friends if you don't have a private lobby.... but also have levels and perks that make you better than other players?? pretty hosed up

It's also not e-sports, but they paid two e-sports commentators to comment games all day at conventions like E3 and PAX. They're very confused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I guess the deal breaker for me would be how much I have to grind to get all the significant gameplay features for the monsters. Would suck to play this game and find out I have to play 50+ matches as the Kraken or something to unlock the perks that make it not suck. I have no idea if it actually works like that. The OP is pretty scarce about this stuff and the stream I'm watching just has a ton of +points in like a dozen different things at the end of each match.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

IDK if they are really trying to make it competitive, they have a leaderboard but there is no league system or seasons afaik.

The masteries really are just so tiny, it's like 3% increase in thing because you did that thing a bunch which is really not gonna add much to the gameplay either way.

Perks are really cool though. You can pick things like +30% jet recharge, +200% jump height, +ability cooldown and so on. Everyone gets a perk and the list expands as you play. You end up with like 5 different perks really quick.

Should have been no mastery system and just the perks.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Is it kind of strange that Evolve is not showing up on my main page of Steam, even under Top Sellers? Does it have to do with the swamping of downvotes?

Lblitzer posted:

Awesome thanks. It seems to be mostly A.I. focused but the Adaptive Dramatic Pacing section was exactly what I was thinking of.

Even casual zombie players learned that attacking alone was pointless, leading to the zombie side timing their spawns together, thereby creating natural pauses for the survivors. But when the zombie team got a good ambush all hell broke loose. In retrospect it was actually kind of brilliant.

Even when they hosed up there are respawns and chance for redemption. Meanwhile no classes on the survivor side meant not wiping because some moron didn't know their role.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
guys get a better job/education/grab your bootsraps so you can have more money to spend on frivelous poo poo. Step it up.

Why do you care so much, lol.

I've been playing with friends doing Cabot/Lazarus/Hyde/The australian trapper with the harpoon gun.

Monster gets trapped and dies in stage 1 or 2, every time. Very satisfying. Good monsters can get to three, but can't survive a direct fight.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So have you guys actually looked at some the achievements? I don't see a way of getting half of them legit and me and my group are hoping we can just use custom games as a way to get them

http://www.trueachievements.com/Evolve/achievements.htm

Seriously, gently caress trying to kill the monster while incapped or kill a stage 3 monster as the last hunter. Or how about winning a match in just a few seconds over 2 minutes?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess the deal breaker for me would be how much I have to grind to get all the significant gameplay features for the monsters. Would suck to play this game and find out I have to play 50+ matches as the Kraken or something to unlock the perks that make it not suck. I have no idea if it actually works like that. The OP is pretty scarce about this stuff and the stream I'm watching just has a ton of +points in like a dozen different things at the end of each match.

It doesn't work that way. You unlock new characters by getting 1 star in all of the previous character's abilities. It's pretty easy to do this in just 1 playthrough of evacuation now, it used to be a lot grindier in beta. The other perks are earned through ranking up, and you can only pick 1 perk at a time, and the faster eating perk is unlocked at like level 2 and is the only perk you ever need.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Remember that The WarZ had a hugbox thread made for it in old games, and people were probated for pointing out the game didn't work and was rancid poo poo, while other goons unironically posted that they got their $20 or whatever's worth because they played for 2 hours in it and it was Fun With Goons.

Current Games is much better now that idiots who feel the need to defend every bad purchase they make get rightly mocked.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr. Giggles posted:

guys get a better job/education/grab your bootsraps so you can have more money to spend on frivelous poo poo. Step it up.

Why do you care so much, lol.

I've been playing with friends doing Cabot/Lazarus/Hyde/The australian trapper with the harpoon gun.

Monster gets trapped and dies in stage 1 or 2, every time. Very satisfying. Good monsters can get to three, but can't survive a direct fight.

speaking as someone who bought this day 1 with a tremendous disposable income to burn: this game is garbage, your argument is retarded, hth. also lol at "monster dies at stage 1 everytime" this sounds boring as gently caress

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

bonds0097 posted:

Honestly, I spend most of my time in the Steam Thread and that gets periodically invaded by threadshitters too. It was annoying when our thread got gassed a few months ago by people who didn't even participate in it just because they felt the OP was long.

I probably wouldn't go near the MWO thread since I understand that game is a huge source of goonrage.

you mean the op that took 5 and a half hours to read?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Brackhar posted:

It's the rule changes I think. I miss the old ruleset where that type of stuff was banned/probated very quickly; it's definitely made this forum less useful to me as a developer.

Same. 100 new posts here, none worth reading. If it's not the rule change, it's the red goddess threads leaking.

I mean, it's okay if that's what people want now. I barely use the forums anyway, so I won't make a fuzz about it. I just liked how people didn't try riling each other up on SA before.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Donnerberg posted:

I just liked how people didn't try riling each other up on SA before.

:confused:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Outside of FYAD. And BYOB I guess. And your console sucks. I never explored them much.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

you mean the op that took 5 and a half hours to read?

Where can I see this masterpiece?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you see gbs was better in 2004 because I have a bad memory

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Where can I see this masterpiece?

This was the thread for it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651245&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

but it is no longer on his past broadcasts

someone uploaded it somewhere but I can't find it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

This was the thread for it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651245&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

but it is no longer on his past broadcasts

someone uploaded it somewhere but I can't find it

this was a good day

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Outside of FYAD. And BYOB I guess. And your console sucks. I never explored them much.

Stay in fyad, trolls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In any case, I talked to Var on steam about this and he seems to enjoy the game. And you know what? That's pretty cool. I'm glad he likes a video game and isn't white knighting it.

• Locked thread