Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Did anything happen in the past 200 posts that are worth reading or can I just ignore them and talk about how I unlocked Wraith last night and wonder how things got tweaked with her since the Beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GenericOverusedName posted:

Did anything happen in the past 200 posts that are worth reading or can I just ignore them and talk about how I unlocked Wraith last night and wonder how things got tweaked with her since the Beta.

the best thing to do is ignore posts, and just enjoy posting going forward

going back and rehashing about shitposters is only going to poo poo up the thread for another 2-3 pages

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

God drat it the shitposters are on ANOTHER PAGE now

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Has anybody had a chance to play Wraith after release and have any experiences they want to share? I did play a game against one, but the player wasn't very good and we managed to take it down fairly easily.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

like other threads for polarizing games that have come before it, the first weeks worth of posts are typically never worth reading.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I enjoy the game too. I think there's actually a lot of content that people have either overlooked or are unaware of. The evacuation mode is a really cool feature that I've not seen before and I hope it makes it into the next left 4 dead.
The price on steam is very steep and I would not have paid that much for it though. I got the game and the not yet finished monster for £29.99 when the game alone is £34.99 on steam.

I really think the next set of hunters should be free. If I'd gotten it all in for £29.99 I'd have been really impressed.

Skins lmao though who buys skins in any game? I can't imagine they sell many skins at all. At least they've promised free maps and modes down the line. Maybe if they are really good I'll get the new hunters on discount.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Has anybody had a chance to play Wraith after release and have any experiences they want to share? I did play a game against one, but the player wasn't very good and we managed to take it down fairly easily.

Wraith is still amazing. I played as her last night a few rounds and it felt too easy. The hunter team wasn't very good though. Abduct got buffed and is way easier to use now. You can pick a straggler away and down them pretty quickly.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

like other threads for polarizing games that have come before it, the first weeks worth of posts are typically never worth reading.

It's almost like people should learn to wait a couple weeks for the hype to die down before spending $60 on a new game.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I do wish they hadn't felt the need to shoehorn in a progression system. If nothing else, having yet another screen between rounds is annoying. But in general I don't like how characters/perks are locked out. It doesn't seem to add anything to the game and just means there's a disproportionate amount of the early characters. And it makes getting added to an in-progress match as a character you haven't even unlocked extra confusing because I've never seen any of the skills before.

AnimalsFighting
May 16, 2006

and as a victorian gentlemen, I should inform you that it's called fisticuffs

Got destroyed by one with a random group of hunters a little while ago. I think we saw the wraith once before it managed to hit stage 3. I'd been playing the game only for a couple hours and that was the most severe stomp I've ran into.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

I skimmed them and it's just mainly just trolls sucking at trolling. She got nerfed a bit from what I remember; I haven't seen her very much in pub games but she got wrecked the few times I did. The kraken seems to be the best monster at the moment. Hank + any medic that's not lazarus shut me down as goliath so hard. Wraith and goliath got to go eat traps / mines / etc up close while when i'm playing as kraken I can kite around cliffs nuking people.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Prawned posted:

It's almost like people should learn to wait a couple weeks for the hype to die down before spending $60 on a new game.

I haven't been reading the thread all that thoroughly but I haven't seen anyone who actually has the game complain about it?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

I hit "look for a game of Evac as monster" and it dropped me at day 5 at 50% health as a wraith. I fumbled around for two minutes and did nothing of consequence and got 5000 experience for it :saddowns:

Playing as monster is intense as poo poo, I can't wait to level on up and play the late game. :)

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Just a heads up, you can check all of the tutorial videos from the main menu in the extras section. It has the little video that plays when you pick a character for the first time and they're all available from the start. As a bonus when you finally do play that character for the first time, you won't have to wait through that video to get into game.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I just want to re-iterate, because it seems to be the most common miscon ception:

You CAN play as the monster in a party, you just cannot do so in regular matchmaking - Taking a party of 5 people and using the 'custom game' option let's you have 4 hunters and a monster all together.

I don't have solid facts WHY this is, but I suspect it's because regular matchmaking has leaderboards for both hunter teams, and monsters, and therefore people could try and game it to hit the top. There is also no EXP difference between a custom game and a matchmaking game, so the suspicions of exploiting is false.

Also if you can stomach the dude commentating the video, there is a development video of the fourth monster here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBiXTeU4cP8

Abilities appear to be:

1) Turn into a ball and roll, like sonic the hedgehog. (His movement ability)

2) Spit out a giant magma ball that splits like a cluster bomb.
<graphic aint done yet>

3) Smoker tongue that lashes out, grabs a dude and flings them towards you.

4) Sends out a shockwave in front of the monster

5) Slams the ground, creating a huge wall of terrain

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

script kitty posted:

here's an idea, now bear with me, if you dont like thing then maybe dont participate in thread about thing

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Please only post in the WW2 thread unless you think it was super, ok guys?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

how me a frog posted:

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Please only post in the WW2 thread unless you think it was super, ok guys?

hitler was right about DLC

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

I do wish they hadn't felt the need to shoehorn in a progression system. If nothing else, having yet another screen between rounds is annoying. But in general I don't like how characters/perks are locked out. It doesn't seem to add anything to the game and just means there's a disproportionate amount of the early characters. And it makes getting added to an in-progress match as a character you haven't even unlocked extra confusing because I've never seen any of the skills before.

I can see why they did it. It encourages the player to use all their skills and by doing so learn what they do. I don't think it was implemented very well though. I think locking away skins rather than perks and characters would have been better. All the perk bonuses can be turned off though to level the field in a custom match. But to be honest the game is pretty casual so I don't really mind them. Locking the characters is the biggest pain.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Apple2o posted:

I skimmed them and it's just mainly just trolls sucking at trolling. She got nerfed a bit from what I remember; I haven't seen her very much in pub games but she got wrecked the few times I did. The kraken seems to be the best monster at the moment. Hank + any medic that's not lazarus shut me down as goliath so hard. Wraith and goliath got to go eat traps / mines / etc up close while when i'm playing as kraken I can kite around cliffs nuking people.

why do you feel that mentally ill people should die

again

when you try to call out shitposters and you suck at it, you are a worse shitposter than they are and just encouraging more bad posts

hth

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

hitler was right about DLC

Tbh I feel the Barbarossa DLC ruined the balancing.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Out of interest; why does the game have a rating of mixed reviews, when I have scrolled through all of them and the majority, by far, is a thumbs down?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cream posted:

Out of interest; why does the game have a rating of mixed reviews, when I have scrolled through all of them and the majority, by far, is a thumbs down?

it seems pretty hard to go from "mixed" to "somewhat negative" on steam

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Early reviews are often unreliable. Maybe they don't count them as much.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Apple2o posted:

gently caress those trolls *posts about activision being jews*

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

Early reviews are often unreliable. Maybe they don't count them as much.

I think that's it, I noticed something similar with another game. The majority of reviews seem to be flagged as pre-release.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Eonwe posted:

gently caress those trolls *posts about activision being jews*

Eonwe posted:

rap sheet shaming is epic for the....win

Just thought this was funny.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Laterbase posted:

I haven't been reading the thread all that thoroughly but I feel qualified to make statements about what other posters think.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Cream posted:

People who don't have the game upvoted the negative reviews so they show up at the top of the list for being the most "helpful". In fact, it looks like most of the negative reviewers don't have the game at all.

Positive reviews actually outnumber negative ones almost 2:1.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2015

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Cream posted:

They probably have something in their algorithm that sets the lower limit to mixed once something gets a few hundred or thousand thumbs up. I'm really surprised by the amount of hate this game has received. I get disagreeing with the pricing, but the game itself is a lot of fun, is well optimised and very polished. I've heard of a handful of bugs but not seen any myself.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
If you look most of the negative reviews are also labled "Pre Release" now and none of the writers own the game. It's because the full game uses the same content ID as the early alpha so if you had access to the alpha you can write a review.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

VarXX posted:

If you look most of the negative reviews are also labled "Pre Release" now and none of the writers own the game

I saw a lot of the pre release ones were also posted on the 9th when the game was released. Which either means their reviews should still be accurate or they dramatically changed the game when it unlocked.

I also see a lot of positive reviews from people who with few steam games and 4 or less hours on record just saying "its great but too much dlc lol."

Basically Steam reviews shouldn't hold much weight but people like to flock to one side or the other and im gay as hell

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

All them haters are wrong and you are totes justified in your pre-order, you go girl!

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I saw a lot of the pre release ones were also posted on the 9th when the game was released. Which either means their reviews should still be accurate or they dramatically changed the game when it unlocked.

No one who posted a review with the "Pre Release" tag on it has it in their recent activity list so they didn't play a review copy, they played the Alpha from november.

There are negative reviews from February 9th that do not have the pre release tag and those people actually own the game and it shows up in their recent activity log.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

If I'm wrong I'm sorry and happy to be corrected. I don't fancy re-reading the whole thread though, the last few pages were really bad that's why I only skimmed them. I'd be interested in hearing more about problems with the design of the game and balance than the pricing model, which I think everyone agrees is somewhere between not great and literally hitler.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

People who don't have the game upvoted the negative reviews so they show up at the top of the list for being the most "helpful". In fact, it looks like most of the negative reviewers don't have the game at all.

Positive reviews actually outnumber negative ones almost 2:1.

All of the people who played the game in beta and had a lot of issues with it and then also saw the pricing system and said "gently caress this" in their reviews are more helpful than the "I'm twelve and my mom bought me this and it's fun" reviews.

They also paid out the rear end for shills like the Escapist to give it 9.5/10 reviews for a game that is nowhere near that level of quality.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's actually about ethics in gaming journalism

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've been saying I like this game but nobody's been sucking my metaphorical dick, something is not right here.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

VarXX posted:

No one who posted a review with the "Pre Release" tag on it has it in their recent activity list so they didn't play a review copy, they played the Alpha from november.

There are negative reviews from February 9th that do not have the pre release tag and those people actually own the game and it shows up in their recent activity log.

Steam actually detects if they own the game or played in an older alpha/beta and flags the review appropriately? That is surprising to me for some reason.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Steam actually detects if they own the game or played in an older alpha/beta and flags the review appropriately? That is surprising to me for some reason.

They just enabled it today in the last couple of hours it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lblitzer posted:

Just thought this was funny.

its epic

• Locked thread