Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Nintendo can sell a game like Mother 3 by just slapping it as a topic in a Nintendo Direct.

victrix posted:

How good is/was Type 0? Any games it is comparable to in terms of gameplay?

I went on a PSP binge a year or so ago, had a great time going through the catalog of awesome rpgs.

I really really want a new Dissidia :(

The gameplay is action-rpgish with each character having their own movesets and style of play. Most of your damage revolves around hitting the weakpoint of enemies which is a big glaring red target, but it's just an indicator of weak points you would figure out in say Dark Souls anyway.

Biggest con I would say about the game is that it is very expecting of grinding to the point that I had to put on cheats to speed up leveling. Apparently that's fixed in the HD version.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Ys5 was one of those games that went untranslated forever due to rom hacking issues. They finally got it a year or so back, and turns out it's a REALLY terrible game!

Eh, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "terrible". The plot's a retelling of Ys Book 1 and 2 with a whole lot of impenetrable bullshit caked on, but the actual game's worst crime is being incredibly easy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

I think Nintendo can sell a game like Mother 3 by just slapping it as a topic in a Nintendo Direct.

The other question would be, would they want to? I loved it, but as far as their family-friendly reputation goes, it's a little... :catstare: sometimes. Sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll in a cutesy pixel art game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The other question would be, would they want to? I loved it, but as far as their family-friendly reputation goes... it's a little :catstare: sometimes. Sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll in a cutesy pixel art game.

Well... Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third so they're not opposed to that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The other question would be, do they want to? I loved it, but as far as their family-friendly reputation goes... it's a little :catstare: sometimes. Sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll in a cutesy pixel game.

They already put Bayo 2 and Ironfall on their directs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Codiekitty posted:

Eh, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "terrible". The plot's a retelling of Ys Book 1 and 2 with a whole lot of impenetrable bullshit caked on, but the actual game's worst crime is being incredibly easy.

Edit: I think I get what you mean by it being a "retelling". It's a new plot and direct sequel, but it reuses a ton of tropes and themes from the first game. But really, that's just Ys in general, they really aren't very strong on the plot and the villains are largely forgettable.

But calling it "incredibly easy" is going pretty light on it. You can literally beat the game by holding forward into any boss and mashing attack. Half the core gameplay mechanics don't work (magic is actually worse than useless, it actively harms you to use it). It's also hilariously short (like 6 hours tops IIRC?).

To it's credit, the music is quite good and some of the villains are pretty decent as well. But it's a complete mess other than that. It also is responsible for the existence of Terra in Ys6 which is a crime punishable by death.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 12, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well yeah, but those are pretty obvious on the surface and you can judge those proverbial books by their covers. If you don't know what you're getting into with Mother 3 (which, let's be honest, we all did when the translation came out), you eat psychedelic mushrooms, hang out with your transvestite buddies, and a lot of depressing poo poo goes down. You gotta tread a little lightly when you have a game with Mother 3's aesthetic, but also Mother 3's content so you don't piss off consumers who might not be getting what they think they're getting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mother 3, if released now, would be a WiiU eshop item. That is a niche of a niche as the numbers show, the people buying it know what they're getting into. You're worrying way too much about a near non-existent issue.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

does it really even matter at this point? the translation patch is really good, i think the main guy on it was actually a professional

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

does it really even matter at this point? the translation patch is really good, i think the main guy on it was actually a professional

We're talking about the situation if it ever is sold officially, which is still a big deal because rom hack translation players are probably a tiny blip even among internet fans.

Also would solve the issue of who the gently caress Lucas is as he would officially have a game in the US, like Marth eventually did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Well yeah, but those are pretty obvious on the surface and you can judge those proverbial books by their covers. If you don't know what you're getting into with Mother 3 (which, let's be honest, we all did when the translation came out), you eat psychedelic mushrooms, hang out with your transvestite buddies, and a lot of depressing poo poo goes down. You gotta tread a little lightly when you have a game with Mother 3's aesthetic, but also Mother 3's content so you don't piss off consumers who might not be getting what they think they're getting.
rated t for drug use, alcohol reference, and comic mischief

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seriously dude this isn't 1994 anymore, the market can handle a game where the pixels say the gently caress word

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

You're worrying way too much about a near non-existent issue.

Yeah, I guess so. I suppose I've just had the conundrum of "how to sell something to adults that looks appealing to kids but is actually fairly inappropriate" on the brain a lot recently.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Cake Attack posted:

Come to think of it, the re-translation patch came out a few weeks ago. Apparently, it's supposed to reword the dialogue so that it better fits the characters.

Personally, I don't really see the difference.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Ys5 was one of those games that went untranslated forever due to rom hacking issues. They finally got it a year or so back, and turns out it's a REALLY terrible game!

Does the patch work with the Expert version or no?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

seriously dude this isn't 1994 anymore, the market can handle a game where the pixels say the gently caress word

they handled it just fine when ff7 came out and that was almost 2 decades ago. i don't know why we took a step backward.

the final fantasy rhythm game is rated t for some loving stupid reason and the poo poo has gone too far

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, I guess so. I suppose I've just had the conundrum of "how to sell something to adults that looks appealing to kids but is actually fairly inappropriate" on the brain a lot recently.

It's honestly just about marketing, and in terms of 'selling to kids' things have changed a lot. I mean Mother 3 is weird but I don't know if it's necessarily that much weirder than Adventure Time. The only thing I'd really see as being potentially trouble-causing are the Magypsies.

You don't really need to sell it Just To Adults. You'll probably have a hard time getting kids into it since it's a text-heavy weird JRPG but a lot of stuff kids like these days are probably more violence/sex-oriented/whatever. Transformers has long loving shots of Megan Fox's rear end and a protagonist who executes prisoners or whatever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tae posted:

We're talking about the situation if it ever is sold officially, which is still a big deal because rom hack translation players are probably a tiny blip even among internet fans.

Also would solve the issue of who the gently caress Lucas is as he would officially have a game in the US, like Marth eventually did.

Not an issue anymore. Lucas isn't in Smash 4. :unsmigghh:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Byde posted:

Does the patch work with the Expert version or no?

It doesn't work with Expert. Data is laid out differently so they'd basically have to redo the patch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

they handled it just fine when ff7 came out and that was almost 2 decades ago. i don't know why we took a step backward.

the final fantasy rhythm game is rated t for some loving stupid reason and the poo poo has gone too far
No, wait, it is T. I guess there's blood in some of the FMVs from Advent Children?

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Edit: I think I get what you mean by it being a "retelling". It's a new plot and direct sequel, but it reuses a ton of tropes and themes from the first game. But really, that's just Ys in general, they really aren't very strong on the plot and the villains are largely forgettable.

Adol arrives in a foreign county that's had a sudden monster explosion, and he has to collect six macguffins to open the way to a lost city that was sealed off from the main world after its magic orb started to run amok, and when he gets there he finds people are being sacrificed to said orb through a ritual that involves tolling a bell, and there's even a sewer you use to get to different parts of the city etc. etc.

quote:

But calling it "incredibly easy" is going pretty light on it. You can literally beat the game by holding forward into any boss and mashing attack. Half the core gameplay mechanics don't work (magic is actually worse than useless, it actively harms you to use it). It's also hilariously short (like 6 hours tops IIRC?).

To it's credit, the music is quite good and some of the villains are pretty decent as well. But it's a complete mess other than that. It also is responsible for the existence of Terra in Ys6 which is a crime punishable by death.
I might have made it (slightly) harder on myself by not realizing bosses take contact damage from you. I still got through most of them by drip-feeding myself healing items.

And admittedly I haven't played Ys 6 yet (it's been in my To Do pile for years) so I haven't experienced Terra at her worst. Although there was that scene in Ys 5 where she and Adol get separated from her family and she yells at him about getting them lost, he saves her from a monster... then they just show up at her house?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

edit: Also, people are bitter about FM5 because they instead localized the super lovely armor-core version instead.

Yep. That game was terrible and finishing it felt like a death march even though it wasn't very long because I already knew it marked the death of the franchise. It was no where near as well-designed or polished as Armored Core and that's a series with a lot of bad flaws to begin with.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Codiekitty posted:

Adol arrives in a foreign county that's had a sudden monster explosion, and he has to collect six macguffins to open the way to a lost city that was sealed off from the main world after its magic orb started to run amok, and when he gets there he finds people are being sacrificed to said orb through a ritual that involves tolling a bell, and there's even a sewer you use to get to different parts of the city etc. etc.
I might have made it (slightly) harder on myself by not realizing bosses take contact damage from you. I still got through most of them by drip-feeding myself healing items.

And admittedly I haven't played Ys 6 yet (it's been in my To Do pile for years) so I haven't experienced Terra at her worst. Although there was that scene in Ys 5 where she and Adol get separated from her family and she yells at him about getting them lost, he saves her from a monster... then they just show up at her house?

Let me tell you about Adol getting into boating accidents.

Ys6 is actually my favorite of the series in terms of plot/characters/lore/etc but Terra is just an awful addition. She exists only to be obnoxious and get kidnapped at one point, It's no wonder they completely wrote her out of Ys7. Luckily she's a pretty minor player, I'm rather exaggerating how bad she is just because her English VA is seared into my brain from the one time I foolishly played the PS2 version on the default settings.

The gameplay in it is a bit weaker though since it has the same issues with too many healing items and it's a little clunky overall. But I still love it regardless.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

No, wait, it is T. I guess there's blood in some of the FMVs from Advent Children?

number of asterisks in barrets dialog in ff7 : some ridiculous number
advent children: ????
in ff rhythm game: literally 0

all are rated t

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

You guys know that the ESRB has a full database for these ratings that could answer your questions, right

quote:

Video clips from Final Fantasy games sometimes depict instances of violence: a figure impaled by a lance; characters shot with arrows and gun-like weapons; blood on the ground and/or characters' faces and clothing. During the course of the game, some female characters wear outfits that reveal moderate amounts of cleavage. In-game passwords can include suggestive phrases (e.g., “Loves chasing tail,” “Panty shot,” and “Harem party”). The word “a*s” appears in the dialogue.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nate RFB posted:

I thought FM5 was supposed to be some sort of holy grail of good JRPGs that never got a proper English release.

Its not but it is a really good jrpg imho

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Are there actually still people who give a poo poo about the ESRB?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Like, if you're starting with Front Mission play 1 or 3, but if after that you think man, I want to play more Front Mission, then you should also play 5 because it gives all the characters a conclusion and that's the whole reason it got made.

Don't play FM4 it sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

number of asterisks in barrets dialog in ff7 : some ridiculous number
advent children: ????
in ff rhythm game: literally 0

all are rated t
there are reasons a game can be rated t besides the gently caress word

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also advent children is a film, not a video game

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Random thing to ask, but I just saw a recently RPG released on Steam that looks pretty neat but I've never heard of, so, does anyone know if Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms is any good?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some of my favorite "what were they thinking" ESRB ratings.

Snatcher

Rated T for animated blood and gore/animated violence.

Aaand Riviera(:nws:)

Rated T for Mild Fantasy Violence, Sexual Themes, Partial Nudity, Use of Drugs(???)

Seriously, the ESRB is a joke. It's just like the American PG-13 rating, everything goes except actual nipples and you get one "gently caress." Even then, you can get away with nudity if you frame it as being tasteful.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

Some of my favorite "what were they thinking" ESRB ratings.

Snatcher

Rated T for animated blood and gore/animated violence.

Aaand Riviera(:nws:)

Rated T for Mild Fantasy Violence, Sexual Themes, Partial Nudity, Use of Drugs(???)

Seriously, the ESRB is a joke. It's just like the American PG-13 rating, everything goes except actual nipples and you get one "gently caress." Even then, you can get away with nudity if you frame it as being tasteful.

Wasn't the hot springs image specifically removed in the localized version?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Australia's version isn't much better. Games that have been bounced once have gotten through a second time with no changes made at all.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yea my bad on advent children, was thinking crisis core

other things can get a game rated t but the rhythm game seems silly to me. i get that by and large it is just intended to tell parents what age group the game is acceptable for

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mycot posted:

Wasn't the hot springs image specifically removed in the localized version?

Nope, they're both in the GBA and PSP games.

I think the European or Australian (probably Aus) version gives them bathing suits because I've seen that image floating around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Nope, they're both in the GBA and PSP games.

I think the European or Australian (probably Aus) version gives them bathing suits because I've seen that image floating around.

It's probably the European copy, as we get their build in different labels. Hell, half the time they just use the same cart or disk in a local case. Just reaching over to grab a WiiU game off my shelf and my locally-bought Super Mario 3D World has a USK rating on the disk.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 12, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
A quick Google search tells me that, bizarrely, Sting censors their games in Japan of all places but has them uncensored in the west.

Though really, compared to some bullshit that has been released on the Vita recently, even the uncensored stuff is nothing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Depends on how you define difficulty. A good hard JRPG generally is hard in that it asks you to properly exploit the mechanics in order to win and switches things up enough that it doesn't become repetitive to do so.

The Tales games at higher difficulty levels can often be pretty fun, but they're pretty action-gamey so it feels weird to count them. It also depends on the game because some of them suck at high difficulty.

Roguelikes like Shiren the Wanderer are a good difficulty but for obvious reasons you can't apply them to all games.

Games like The World Ends With You or Kingdom Hearts 3DS are nice in offering you in-game handicaps you can apply which allow you to customize the difficulty in reasonable ways but have a low average difficulty.

The same goes for something like Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume which has a high basic difficulty but offers you ways to lower it at a cost.

The Etrian Odyssey games (depend on the game) have a good mix of "difficult enemies" and 'you can get around that with smart builds." They obviously have their issues but for the most part are well-designed.

I think SMT: Nocturne is generally well designed despite some mechanic problems. It rewards you for understanding the mechanics but doesn't cripple you if you don't.

There are some games which are difficulty but only due to having level checks rather than encouraging smart use of mechanics and I don't think those are good despite being hard.

It's kinda hard to narrow down "this is a hard RPG' because what makes it work depends on the game.

Xenoblade is a super-fun game but the way the leveling works, especially with sidequests, can really leave you easily overpowered if you let it. I feel like if you adjusted how it handles fighting higher-level enemies and altered quest rewards a bit you'd probably improve it without dragging the game down into being unfairly hard.
I think Graces had the coolest difficulty implementation. It scales experience to the difficulty so you grow more powerful faster and faster and you can always bump up the difficulty when you felt like you were growing out of the difficulty level. Eventually could decide which difficulty you liked the most and then stay on track.

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like I'm dangerously close to dropping Front Mission 5. I liked the first game's remake on the DS, FM3 was pretty drat cool, and I somehow tolerated the fourth game enough to finish it but something about this fifth one just feels like too much work. The missions are not hard but they take forever. I also don't think I care for having a team that is essentially completely interchangeable/indistinct besides one or two main plot characters. If I was closer to the beginning I'd honestly consider grabbing a NG+ save online and just breezing through the game with better weapons/gear but I'm too far in to give that a try.
This never goes away. If anything they get even longer. Some are like 2-3 hour affairs involving a lot of movement. It's like Fire Emblem Geneology all over again!

I remember all the Front Missions games have pretty long fights though. FM3 was glacial too. I mean they couldn't even animate the machine guns firing like actual machine guns, ugh. Although who needs machine guns when you just punch mechs in the groin and send their pilots flying into the ocean.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Outside of Fire Emblem, Turn-based strategy usually have pretty long missions as a standard. Even FF Tactics with only 5 party members can average longer than 30 minutes with all the moving and stuff. Valkyria Chronicles was the same way, until they added a Turbo/All-skip function in the sequels, which unfortunately seems to not be in Project STEAM.