Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

Like, if you're starting with Front Mission play 1 or 3, but if after that you think man, I want to play more Front Mission, then you should also play 5 because it gives all the characters a conclusion and that's the whole reason it got made.

Don't play FM4 it sucks

Or play 4 because it's good, just not as good as 3 or 5. It was a step-down from 3 in all wy except the link system, which was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

al-azad posted:

Seriously, the ESRB is a joke. It's just like the American PG-13 rating, everything goes except actual nipples and you get one "gently caress." Even then, you can get away with nudity if you frame it as being tasteful.

I'm always amused when I hear "But it might get an AO rating!" as something that could actually happen when we've got stuff like GTA and Dante's Inferno running around. I've even read an article on some back and forth changes between ESRB employees and a developer, where they try to squeeze out T ratings by making tiny unnoticeable edits. I'll see if I can find it.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked FM4. Unlike FM1 and 3 - I think (as I've played these a long time ago) - it grows a bit challenging and you can't just recklessly skill-combo everything to death. Most of the time, anyway. Mission design seems more varied than its predecessors, as well, which - correct me if I'm falsifying my memories - grew stale and repetitive quite fast (nº 3 specially). Plotwise, I guess it's lower-keyed; no girlfriend brain computers or super weapons platforms, merely political intrigue. Never finished it, though. The final missions are not very fun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I liked FM4 (relative to 3) because it had faster animations for machine guns and a skill system that made sense. By which I means pilots leveled up and learned skills, as opposed to proccing RapidFire1 6 times in a row because... um... parts, I think? I mean, it's funny to watch a guy shoot someone in slow motion until every part breaks one by one, but it's also annoying.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FM3 is also a game that massively benefits from having the frame rate fixed, because it runs absolutely dog slow on the PSX itself. It gets really painfully tedious in some sections of the game because it's running at something like 25% speed.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Frustrated because I want to play Valkyrie Profile but it's not available on PSN (neither the PSX nor the PSP version) and if it does get released digitally in the near future, the best we can hope for is a phone port.

Goddamn Square-Enix.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Put me on board for liking FM4 as well. Mechanically, it was a big upgrade over 3, battle mechanics were more fun and challenging and it ran better to boot. It was just a bit long, and the characters weren't as memorable.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I did lament the loss of specific targeting on wanzers, but it ultimately mattered pretty little because when you were playing as Elsa's team, you would just barrage every enemy with highly-coordinated missile batteries, and as Darril's team, nothing at all ever mattered because you were a group of mismatched bipedal gods of destruction

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Front Mission 3 is probably my favorite in the series just for how different and weird it is at times (and that awesome fake internet) but FM4 and 5 are both excellent games. I enjoy them because the battles are just so loving huge and by midgame the enemies are throwing everything they have at you and more. It's super satisfying to set up a link attack where your melee double punches a wanzer onto its rear end while your sniper blows off a weapon arm or outright kills the body. I revisit those games every couple of years and always end up having a blast.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The best FM is MissionForce: Cyberstorm. Ridiculously unbalanced and cheap it's still the game where you can have a giant walking dong (piloted by a monkey sitting in its mecha-scrotum) supported by anti-gravity gracefully stomp into a swarm of suicide bomber robots, zap them with portable lightning, and ejaculate hot plasma at larger targets. Sierra really outdid themselves trying to milk EarthSiege.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Endorph posted:

also advent children is a film, not a video game

Not if you ask Tetsuya Nomura.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Coughing Hobo posted:

I did lament the loss of specific targeting on wanzers, but it ultimately mattered pretty little because when you were playing as Elsa's team, you would just barrage every enemy with highly-coordinated missile batteries

That and the airstrikes. Nothing like laying waste to platoons of enemies before they even got to you. (I ended up giving Bosch one of those antenna backpacks too, so that my aerial bombardment fun was doubled.) As for aiming, you could get Renges to learn any of the four targeting skills. Not sure how it went regarding other pilots, though - I think you could buy them via Computer Shop?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Look at that boxart, I'm going to play this. Conundrum, there are apparently two translations of Mystic Ark, and both practically came out at the same time. The Aeon Genesis translation and the Dynamic-Designs translation.

Which one is better? Judging by pictures alone, I like the font better in Dynamic-Designs patch, but a quick Google kinda shows that people prefer Aeon Genesis version more because it uses better "proper english", like less slang expressions, and characters have better "personalities" in that one.

Oh and have another piece of official art.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I've never heard of Dynamic Designs, but AG is the gold standard for fan translations. At least, as far as you can hold fan translations to a standard.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I went into the underground sewers in Colony 6 and am now fighting the the other face Mechor, Chav Edition. Why the gently caress is this guy so hard? Do I just grind to beat him or am I doing it wrong? My party is all at level 25.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is SMTIV a good entry point into the mainline SMT series? I'm getting a New 3DS XL tomorrow and I want some good RPGs for the system. The only SMT game I've played before was Persona 3 Portable and while I enjoyed the gameplay and the high school sim stuff (I know SMTIV doesn't have that) I thought the dungeons were pretty lame.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno about SMT, but if you're getting a 3DS for RPGs, be sure to pick up Etrian Odyssey 4. Maybe Devil Survivor, but I didn't really care for that one personally.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno about SMT, but if you're getting a 3DS for RPGs, be sure to pick up Etrian Odyssey 4. Maybe Devil Survivor, but I didn't really care for that one personally.

Speaking of EO4, was the Millenium Girl remake of EO1 any good?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

Is SMTIV a good entry point into the mainline SMT series? I'm getting a New 3DS XL tomorrow and I want some good RPGs for the system. The only SMT game I've played before was Persona 3 Portable and while I enjoyed the gameplay and the high school sim stuff (I know SMTIV doesn't have that) I thought the dungeons were pretty lame.

SMTIV's easily the most accessible of the mainline games. It has its issues, but at the current sale price it's definitely worth picking up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Im_Special posted:

Look at that boxart, I'm going to play this. Conundrum, there are apparently two translations of Mystic Ark, and both practically came out at the same time. The Aeon Genesis translation and the Dynamic-Designs translation.

Which one is better? Judging by pictures alone, I like the font better in Dynamic-Designs patch, but a quick Google kinda shows that people prefer Aeon Genesis version more because it uses better "proper english", like less slang expressions, and characters have better "personalities" in that one.

Oh and have another piece of official art.

I played through with the AG patch and it was fine. I don't recognize the name Dynamic Designs myself.

I don't remember the game being anything special.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

It was okay. It's a reasonable remake of the first game. The big gimmick is a story mode which is okay if you really need a guided fixed-party story but otherwise it's not anything specail. The Grimiore system (the sub-skill system) is a giant pile of poo poo but it isn't strictly necessary.

It's not a bad game but EO4 is better in every way that isn't having a fixed story.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

Never played it myself, but I hear it was all right unless you're into the series for building your own party: you can't get everything (or go to every dungeon?) unless you play Story Mode, which forces you to use the premade characters for the story and all the fixed classes that come with that.

Mechanically, I'm told it was EO1 in EO4's engine, which can only be a good thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, if you play in the more-EO-like mode, where you make your own crew, it's just EO1 in a new engine with minor tweaks. Story mode has two unique classes, new dungeons, etc., and turns it into a more JRPGish experience given that you now have a party full of characters with their own stories and all.

It's not bad, but if your main draw to those games is more "making your own team and trying to conquer the dungeon" than "I dig dungeon crawlers and exploration", it might be a turnoff. I went into Story and enjoyed it because one of those two classes was a very EO3/4-esque design compared to the early series roles.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm not really a fan of those pure dungeon-crawly kind of RPGs. What else is good on 3DS? Or regular DS for that matter, I haven't owned a DS for a while.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Bowser's Inside Story is pretty good, and now's the perfect time to be getting a 3DS on account of the Majora's Mask remake is coming out tomorrow. That's guaranteed to be great, but I dunno if you consider that RPG enough or if you're looking for something more traditional.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Depends on what kind of rpg do you want. Do you want traditional turn-based rpgs, mechanics-heavy, story, strategy, how difficult? Both DS libraries have a poo poo ton.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played BIS already and loved it, and I do love Zelda games and I'll definitely pick up Majora's Mask 3D but I'd like something more traditional :)

Tae posted:

Depends on what kind of rpg do you want. Do you want traditional turn-based rpgs, mechanics-heavy, story, strategy, how difficult? Both DS libraries have a poo poo ton.
I tend to like RPGs that have a good balance of story and interesting mechanics. For reference Chrono Trigger is probably my favorite game of all time.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
A little late, but the best thing about Mother 3 getting officially released would be being able to actually do the rhythm-based battles without emulator error.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

A little late, but the best thing about Mother 3 getting officially released would be being able to actually do the rhythm-based battles without emulator error.

Even on proper hardware using a flashcart it's difficult. Putting an enemy to sleep lets you hear the beat but I still find myself getting an average of 2-4 extra hits and no more past mid-game enemies where they have tempo changes or odd measures. The damage reduction with each consecutive hit is so exponentially reduced that past 6 or so it's not really worth it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

Putting an enemy to sleep lets you hear the beat but I still find myself getting an average of 2-4 extra hits and no more past mid-game enemies where they have tempo changes or odd measures.

Those tempo changes can sound so great, though. That one gently caress-you measure in Pokey's Pokeys is part of why it's one of my favorite tracks in all of video game music, it's just perfect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The World Ends With You

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Endorph posted:

The World Ends With You

Every time I hear the name of this game makes me hate SE a bit more.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Pablo Gigante posted:

I played BIS already and loved it, and I do love Zelda games and I'll definitely pick up Majora's Mask 3D but I'd like something more traditional :)

I tend to like RPGs that have a good balance of story and interesting mechanics. For reference Chrono Trigger is probably my favorite game of all time.

Radiant Historia? SMT IV or Devil Survivor Overclocked?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's a dumb name.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oblomov posted:

Radiant Historia?

Oh, don't taunt the poor guy with a game you couldn't find in stores a week after its release. Or did they reprint it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oblomov posted:

Every time I hear the name of this game makes me hate SE a bit more.
Why?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, don't taunt the poor guy with a game you couldn't find in stores a week after its release. Or did they reprint it?

http://www.amazon.com/Radiant-Historia-Nintendo-DS/dp/B004CVWETI

It's 20 bucks right now as a special.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, $20 on Amazon last time I checked.

Because SE doesn't bother to update their $18 non-universal game for iOS (Android too for 5.x) to iOS8 which came out in September and which beta has been out since spring last year. Despite their apparent statement that they are looking how to update the game (redditors figured out how on jail broken iPad just fine).

Even if they update it will be probably be just in time for iOS9 which will probably break it once again. In short, don't buy premium priced SE or Capcom games on mobile platforms and expect any compatibility updates.

And I actually like the iPad version best :(.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

How are the two Knights Of The Old Republic games? The first game I hear gets unanimous praise while the second gets a lot of mixed reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

DoubleCakes posted:

How are the two Knights Of The Old Republic games? The first game I hear gets unanimous praise while the second gets a lot of mixed reception.

They are both great, the 2nd one would be better but it's obviously unfinished and buggy (usual Obsidian problems), there are mods/fan patches that fix this though.