Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Cartoon posted:

I kept using it till I quit WoW (during cataclysm). Surprisingly few people would check the chat box and I got a bunch of people vote kicked using witchhunt even though it said right there that I was doing it the whole time.

Instigating a witchhunt in a WoW party or raid was always the best metagame, "WHO PULLED BOSS" from people that never checked the combat log and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taxman84
Feb 11, 2015

Tamayachi posted:

Instigating a witchhunt in a WoW party or raid was always the best metagame, "WHO PULLED BOSS" from people that never checked the combat log and such.

That's some of the funniest poo poo to do in WoW. In Mists of Pandaria there was a raid (I forgot which one but I'm sure you can do it on most raids/dungeons) where if the group had wiped we'd pull these huge mobs to the entrance of the dungeon and watch as people would re-enter the instance one after another only to be killed in 2 shots again by the mobs. It's just hilarious seeing all of the chaos and people freaking out in chat over repair costs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cartoon posted:

I kept using it till I quit WoW (during cataclysm). Surprisingly few people would check the chat box and I got a bunch of people vote kicked using witchhunt even though it said right there that I was doing it the whole time.

I kept using it for months after the patch that let the chat system tell who was running the addon. Most people didn't even know it was an option, and having the icons shift over the party's head only once a second was still a colorful Christmas tree of furious team members.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Iconhell was second only to Reported as the best, most useful WoW mod.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I liked the one that made funny noise each time I jumped.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
At one point early on goons had the Honk mod. Honk allowed an individual to harass another individual by telling the Honk mod to tell everybody else running Honk to send them an email, scrolling the poo poo out of their chat. This was no doubt infuriating to be on the receiving end of, and it was one of the few times the GMs directly told GS to knock it the gently caress off, already.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Pope Guilty posted:

Iconhell was one of the better goon WoW griefs.

Basically WoW lets you mark individual units, friend or foe, with big icons that look like this:

Some of them have widely accepted uses (kill the skull first, then the X, use crowd control on the moon), but there's nothing in-game to force that.

Anyway, originally only the leader of a group could set those marks, but at some point a patch came out that included, among other things, allowing anybody in a group to set marks. Almost immediately, LemonKing released a mod called Iconhell to the forums. Iconhell had a bunch of options, but the main use was targeting a member of your group and telling Iconhell to set a mark on it and change that mark around 10 times a second. Alternatively, you could have it do that for everybody in your group, or you could use the Witch Hunt mode to do it to everybody in the group except the person you wanted everybody to blame- and the blame would come, because IconHell drove a lot of people completely batshit insane for no readily apparent reason, made worse by the fact that IconHell was only released at the time to the WoW forum here at SomethingAwful, so most people had no idea it even existed.

Eventually Blizzard released a patch that limited how fast marks could be set, and announced to your group who had set the mark, and IconHell stopped working and became pointless. But for awhile it was an easy way to drive a certain sort of person up the loving wall.

Are there no videos of this?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ha! I remember being irrationally angry when people did that to me way back. Mostly because I didn't have any clue what the icons even were. :)

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Are there no videos of this?

mad people typing in chat doesn't make for a good vid or reaction :(

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What was the 'Reported' mod?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

VanSandman posted:

What was the 'Reported' mod?

If I'm remembering right, it was basically a text parser that would identify curse words (or whatever other words you programmed it to) in WoW chat and send the offending players messages informing them that you were reporting them to the GMs because their use of bad language violated the EULA. People would get really pissed off and send you profanity-laden replies, which would trigger Reported and cause you to automatically reiterate that they were bad people and you were going to get them banned for typing the word "rear end in a top hat." Every once in a while you'd get an amazing chain reaction of rage that led to a person literally arguing with a loving text parser for over an hour.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

If I'm remembering right, it was basically a text parser that would identify curse words (or whatever other words you programmed it to) in WoW chat and send the offending players messages informing them that you were reporting them to the GMs because their use of bad language violated the EULA. People would get really pissed off and send you profanity-laden replies, which would trigger Reported and cause you to automatically reiterate that they were bad people and you were going to get them banned for typing the word "rear end in a top hat." Every once in a while you'd get an amazing chain reaction of rage that led to a person literally arguing with a loving text parser for over an hour.

That's right. Somehow people would not realize that the messages were automatically generated despite appearing instantly

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

That's right. Somehow people would not realize that the messages were automatically generated despite appearing instantly

Should have had it set to a timer, so that for every infraction it would take a little while where it would fake you actually typing it up. Add the occasional fake typo for extra authenticity.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Despite its name, the Reported mod never actually reported anything.

I loved that mod so much.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Slime posted:

Should have had it set to a timer, so that for every infraction it would take a little while where it would fake you actually typing it up. Add the occasional fake typo for extra authenticity.

You could totally customize the messages if you wanted to. There may have been a way to add a delay, but I don't really remember

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Yeah, there definitely was a delay timer.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Don't forget about the Automated Goblin Therapist, an implementation of the ELIZA chatbot. It had a waiting room of everybody who had PMed you, you just had to put their name in the surgery list and if they PMed you again then AGT would PM them back. It would simply repeat back what the person said or ask an incredibly vague question, but that did not stop people from arguing with it.

Here's an example of ELIZA. http://nlp-addiction.com/eliza/

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 12, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
About that Reported mod, isn't cursing and swearing permitted in WoW? I remember that game had a filter for bad language; and you could just turn that off if you weren't bothered by it.

If that's true, that makes it even better, of course.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
On the subject of WoW trolling, this always amuses me. You know the people who beg for gold near the auction house? Well it just so happens that I'm loving rich in World of Warcraft. So one of the most amusing things to do is open a trade box with them, input 100,000g as your half of the trade, then without clicking the trade button go AFK.

The person begging gets to see 100,000g being offered up to them, but has no way to claim it without you clicking the trade button. People will sit there for a good 15-20 minutes begging you in chat to just click trade and will stay right there. So far I've never had anyone figure out I was loving with them, just that I'm a dumbass who really wants to give them that much gold, but just can't figure out how to click trade.

And for more AGT/Reported stories, we have a thread on the WoW subforum just for it.

That's the new one, but there's the 87 page thread from the last expansion too!

Stick Insect posted:

About that Reported mod, isn't cursing and swearing permitted in WoW? I remember that game had a filter for bad language; and you could just turn that off if you weren't bothered by it.

It is still against the EULA in public channels. You can get warned about it (I did 8+ years ago for saying something like "loving elves" while chatting with friends in /say).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Stick Insect posted:

Bizarrely enough there was a profanity filter but profanity was also against the rules, even if it was regular spelling that didn't trick the filter.

You could report someone for something that would show up on your screen as *****

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hahaha, I'm going to start using this one:

quote:

[10:58 AM] To [Lanzik]: Say, do you have any psychological problems?
[10:58 AM] [Lanzik]: no
[10:58 AM] To [Lanzik]: You are being a bit negative.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Bizarrely enough there was a profanity filter but profanity was also against the rules, even if it was regular spelling that didn't trick the filter.

You could report someone for something that would show up on your screen as *****
I always ran with the filter on because I found it amusing. One of the cities, that was a giant sewer, had a npc who sold cockroaches as small pets that followed you around and did nothing. Such profanity was not allowed by the filter which promptly changed it to ****roach every time you typed it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Stick Insect posted:

No, actually- I wrote a Reported module that would cite the EULA at people and that one probably would get more rage from people who didn't want it to be true than any other.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Poil posted:

I always ran with the filter on because I found it amusing. One of the cities, that was a giant sewer, had a npc who sold cockroaches as small pets that followed you around and did nothing. Such profanity was not allowed by the filter which promptly changed it to ****roach every time you typed it.

My favorite "filter gone wild" is Dark Souls 2. I saw a player named "G**st K***ht". Poor guy, he just wanted to be the Ghost Knight

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 12, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The word "douche" is sometimes censored. That means that as a Dutchman I can never tell others that I shower, or that they should shower.

An echo box of bad hygiene, created by an overzealous swear filter.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Diablo 3 wouldn't let you name a character hammerdin because it had "merd" in it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Taxman84 posted:

That's some of the funniest poo poo to do in WoW. In Mists of Pandaria there was a raid (I forgot which one but I'm sure you can do it on most raids/dungeons) where if the group had wiped we'd pull these huge mobs to the entrance of the dungeon and watch as people would re-enter the instance one after another only to be killed in 2 shots again by the mobs. It's just hilarious seeing all of the chaos and people freaking out in chat over repair costs.

This is basically what happened to most pub groups in the revamp of MC, someone would accidentally pull a core hound or something and it would just go on a killing spree. Now normally you wait for a full wipe to release and run, but people would just slam that release button and start running back to the fight, so the core hound would just follow the trail of pubbies streaming from the entrance killing them as he goes until he just goes into a full murderspree of people rezzing and loading into the instance.

Chomp8645 posted:

My favorite "filter gone wild" is Dark Souls 2. I saw a player named "G**st K***ht". Poor guy, he just wanted to be the Ghost Knight

Sometimes I honestly have no idea what some of these names were supposed to be when I see them because of that overzealous filter.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Stick Insect posted:

The word "douche" is sometimes censored. That means that as a Dutchman I can never tell others that I shower, or that they should shower.

An echo box of bad hygiene, created by an overzealous swear filter.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

The ultimate example of this in my experience has been Gunbound. It did this to english speakers for the longest time, only the sensitive 'word' that was banned was 'tai'. Because apparently it means rear end in a top hat in Korean or something, I don't loving know. Point is, amusingly, you could get away with calling someone a poo poo-eater, but saying you were gonna kick their tail? Nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GW2 offered a free gem-store (the real-money-currency) item very early on called Polla. it was a low level accessory item for some holiday, I think. Its name is now censored and you can't buy it on the store anymore. Polla is spanish for cock.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW

I really do miss stgggs sometimes. He was always a great reminder about CS: Source and Garrys Mod and maybe I shouldn't reinstall and play again.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

LEGO Genetics posted:

I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW I AM THE LAW

I really do miss stgggs sometimes. He was always a great reminder about CS: Source and Garrys Mod and maybe I shouldn't reinstall and play again.

You just can't beat the classics. :unsmith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chomp8645 posted:

One of my bans from the WoW forums was because a bunch of people were whining that profanity shouldn't be against the rules when there's a profanity filter and I dropped in to demonstrate how you could be really offensive without ever triggering a word list, and how everyone knew exactly what word was being censored in a sentence just from context anyway.

I remember we used to have discussions in raid over whether a particular high level d**** would drop, almost entirely just because Blizzard couldn't compose a word filter that took into account words they used in their own game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

One of my bans from the WoW forums was because a bunch of people were whining that profanity shouldn't be against the rules when there's a profanity filter and I dropped in to demonstrate how you could be really offensive without ever triggering a word list, and how everyone knew exactly what word was being censored in a sentence just from context anyway.

I remember we used to have discussions in raid over whether a particular high level d**** would drop, almost entirely just because Blizzard couldn't compose a word filter that took into account words they used in their own game.

Linking to http://www.wowgoons.com/ used to be bannable on the WoW forums on the grounds that it appears to be a solicitation for payment, but I don't know if it still is.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Doesn't look like that site actually lets you sign up and transfer money.

It reminds me of Eve Online goons, scamming others by promising that gets them into Goonswarm. Except with real money.

I wish more MMOs permitted scamming and extortion as legitimate forms of gameplay. Throw in a little self-righteous roleplaying, and you get such wonderful things as http://www.minerbumping.com/ . Admittedly some players go a bit far go and add out-of-game humiliation into the mix.

Edit: removed a lot of poo poo because I don't want to create discussion on what griefing is.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 13, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Stick Insect posted:

Doesn't look like that site actually lets you sign up and transfer money.

It doesn't, it's just a troll. But Blizzard's mods were dumb, lazy people.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think I remember that the wow goons were one of the first guilds to hit maximum guild level so a bunch of goons ran around in one of the main cities spamming "GOONSQUAD BEST SQUAD" and "WORLD FIRST TOP GUILD" and whatnot. This pissed off pubbies, and they pointed out that some other guild had hit max level like a few hours earlier or something. We retaliated; several of us had that item that made everyone around you start dancing when you use it, plus the item that made everyone around you make train noises when you used it. So it was a wonderful cacophony of dumb voices making train noises (CHOO CHOO) and everyone being forced to dance like retards, against their will.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I think I remember that the wow goons were one of the first guilds to hit maximum guild level so a bunch of goons ran around in one of the main cities spamming "GOONSQUAD BEST SQUAD" and "WORLD FIRST TOP GUILD" and whatnot. This pissed off pubbies, and they pointed out that some other guild had hit max level like a few hours earlier or something. We retaliated; several of us had that item that made everyone around you start dancing when you use it, plus the item that made everyone around you make train noises when you used it. So it was a wonderful cacophony of dumb voices making train noises (CHOO CHOO) and everyone being forced to dance like retards, against their will.

I remember spamming "GOON SQUAD WORLD SECOND WORLD FIRST".

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaR9oJT7cU

"It's not RDM; it's not random if I'm consistent."

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

a7m2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaR9oJT7cU

"It's not RDM; it's not random if I'm consistent."
The best part of that video overall is that it reminded me that Dad Cop 2 is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Stick Insect posted:

I have been banned for a few days in WoW for cursing. I also was forced a name change because Judeophobia was really offensive to someone apparently.

I also pointed out the fact that there was a profanity filter. They didn't care.

Looked it up. Still got the email. Back in 2006.

Offense: Harassment Policy Violation - Obscene/Vulgar
This category includes both clear and masked language which:
• Is crude and offensive in nature
• Is an inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions
• Is pornographic in nature

Harassment Policy Violation - Inappropriate
This category includes both clear and masked language which:
• Is a mildly inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions
• Is otherwise considered objectionable

Details (Note - Times are listed in Greenwich Mean Time, GMT):
2007/05/20 04:21:26 Soulex LocalDefense - Nagrand SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN EGG
2007/05/20 04:22:20 Soulex LocalDefense - Nagrand hey this is me :D this is someone who gives a gently caress :/ notice how they are 2 completely different people
2007/05/20 04:23:44 Soulex LocalDefense - Nagrand jackass
2007/05/20 04:24:13 Soulex LocalDefense - Nagrand are you seriously this loving dumb?
2007/05/20 04:24:31 Soulex LocalDefense - Nagrand kill yourself before you reproduce
2007/05/20 04:25:46 Soulex LocalDefense - Nagrand loving moron

• Locked thread