Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

#LIFEHACK Eat a banana and throw the banana at Mario because gently caress that fat guinea gently caress he thinks he's better than me well I'll show his plumber rear end haha look at his stupid kart slam into a wall

Now you love ME Peach

YOU LOVE ONLY ME

COME TO KOOPA

gently caress YOU DONKEY KONG YOU LEFT THE BANANAS OUT AND NOW THEY ARE MINE

I KIDNAPPED THEM

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

#LIFEHACK Eat a banana and throw the banana at Mario because gently caress that fat guinea gently caress he thinks he's better than me well I'll show his plumber rear end haha look at his stupid kart slam into a wall

Now you love ME Peach

YOU LOVE ONLY ME

COME TO KOOPA

gently caress YOU DONKEY KONG YOU LEFT THE BANANAS OUT AND NOW THEY ARE MINE

I KIDNAPPED THEM

I want this framed in my house.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've seen the reasoning for the banana thing because "that's how other primates do it so clearly it's the right way!!!" But I saw orangutans eating bananas in Borneo and they just tore the sides open with their teeth then smooshed all the inside into their mouth in one bite.

I wanna see a life hacker eat a banana the orangutan way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

I've seen the reasoning for the banana thing because "that's how other primates do it so clearly it's the right way!!!" But I saw orangutans eating bananas in Borneo and they just tore the sides open with their teeth then smooshed all the inside into their mouth in one bite.

I wanna see a life hacker eat a banana the orangutan way.

That is pretty drat close to literally throwing the banana on the floor and eating it off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo. should be pretty familiar for the garden variety lifehacker.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Chard posted:

Just saw this over in the annonymous confessions thread, thought it would fit here as well:

Is this a joke? Does people actually need to count on their fingers like a child to remember this stuff?

I actually have to do this just about anytime the subject comes up. For some reason the knowledge of which months have 30 days vs the months with 31 days has never solidified in my mind. :shrug:

Actually came up at work recently when someone asked if anyone knew how many days a month had and another coworker was amazed that they didn't know the knuckle trick. I guess people just use Google now.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Oneiros posted:

I actually have to do this just about anytime the subject comes up. For some reason the knowledge of which months have 30 days vs the months with 31 days has never solidified in my mind. :shrug:
"Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November" :ssh:

If you memorize that, it's not hard to recall the rest have 31 'cept for special snowflake February.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

aardwolf posted:

If you memorize that, it's not hard to recall the rest have 31 'cept for special snowflake February.

How are you supposed to remember which four months go in that verse?
"Thirty days hath December, July, May, and September"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

mlnhd posted:

JuNoApSe

Pronounced Juno Apps. So you just imagine apps for your phone that are all about that movie with Michael Cera and Ellen Page. Duh.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Uhh all you need to remember is that January and August have 31 days and every other month after them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I only remember that June has 30 days because of an Encyclopedia Brown case. Otherwise, I just look at a calendar or something.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Noctone posted:

Uhh all you need to remember is that January and August have 31 days and every other month after them.

Does no one use the knuckle method? Start with your left knuckle as January, the space between pinky and ring fingers is February, ring knuckle is March, etc. All the knuckles are 31 days and depressions are 30 or less.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
Thirty days has November. April, June, and September. Of twenty eight is but one. And all the rest are thirty one. Of course leap year comes and slays. Every four years got it right, and twenty eight is twenty nine.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Dienes posted:

Does no one use the knuckle method? Start with your left knuckle as January, the space between pinky and ring fingers is February, ring knuckle is March, etc. All the knuckles are 31 days and depressions are 30 or less.

That's literally the very method that started this stupid derail.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

mlnhd posted:

Well, obviously you create another mnemonic to remember the first mnemonic.

It's mnemonics all the way down.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
To continue grade school life hacks: there's the multiple of nines trick.

Stick out your hands like you're giving a double high five. Putting down n finger gives the digits of the 9*n number with the fingers up. So you put down your left thumb you get a four and a five. 9*5 is 45.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

More math tricks: wanna know if something is divisible by 3? Add all of the digits and if the results are divisible by 3, so is your original number.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ChaosArgate posted:

More math tricks: wanna know if something is divisible by 3? Add all of the digits and if the results are divisible by 3, so is your original number.

Works for 9, too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lifehack: look at the tiny computer you carry everywhere these days. It has apps for that. Even a lovely flip phone will have calendar and calculator functions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Angela Christine posted:

Lifehack: look at the tiny computer you carry everywhere these days. It has apps for that. Even a lovely flip phone will have calendar and calculator functions.

What kind of kindergarten baby needs to look at their phone to do this when you can just memorize these sixteen helpful mnemonics like a grown adult

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What kind of kindergarten baby needs to look at their phone to do this when you can just memorize these sixteen helpful mnemonics like a grown adult
Being able to know things even if your phone's battery dies is pretty neat.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Strudel Man posted:

Lifehack: memorize times tables and other arithmetic shortcuts so you don't get busted pulling your smartphone out during a math test!

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

aardwolf posted:

I don't understand how memorizing a list is supposed to be superior to memorizing a pattern. They're both slower than remembering each month directly, and you don't have to actually poke your knuckles any more than you have to actually sing the rhyme out loud.

All that matters is that you know the answer.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know about you, but I've never been away from a power outlet long enough to find out how neat that might be.

It reminds me of teachers trying to convince us as kids that we had to learn how to do advanced calculations entirely in our heads because you never know when you might be stranded on a desert island with no calculator and a need to know the square root of 6,457. Because that's totally a thing that happens.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

I don't know about you, but I've never been away from a power outlet long enough to find out how neat that might be.

It reminds me of teachers trying to convince us as kids that we had to learn how to do advanced calculations entirely in our heads because you never know when you might be stranded on a desert island with no calculator and a need to know the square root of 6,457. Because that's totally a thing that happens.

Hey, that knowledge was extremely valuable when I was stranded in the outback. All of my calculus skills came in handy as well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
found a life hack in another thread

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

Which is exactly what I would say to an 8 year old who didn't want to learn these things. But if you are a grown-rear end man and you still don't know them then it is time to accept this complex knowledge is simply beyond your abilities. Use the drat apps.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

I don't understand how memorizing a list is supposed to be superior to memorizing a pattern. They're both slower than remembering each month directly, and you don't have to actually poke your knuckles any more than you have to actually sing the rhyme out loud.

Everyone's different. You might be great at recalling facts and figures, others find it easy to remember patterns and methods, and

some people find
a pleasing rhyme
will jump out at
a helpful time
burma shave

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

aardwolf posted:

Everyone's different. You might be great at recalling facts and figures, others find it easy to remember patterns and methods, and

some people find
a pleasing rhyme
will jump out at
a helpful time
burma shave
Oh sure I understand that different methods are easier for different people.

But I don't think either one is objectively better, in the sense that you should mock someone for using fingers and then turn around and suggest a rhyme.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
#Lifehack: Buy a goddamn calendar

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
Lifehack: Pay your bills promptly and the rest of us won't have to sit through these lovely derails.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Dylan16807 posted:

Oh sure I understand that different methods are easier for different people.

But I don't think either one is objectively better, in the sense that you should mock someone for using fingers and then turn around and suggest a rhyme.

I think it's just nice to know different methods to work out things.

Like, I still remember all of the times tables up to fifteen by heart, but I still use mnemonic devices for various biol things and like when people share any mnemonic devices for anything ever if I'll never use them again. I've always used the "30 days has September, April, June and November" for months, it takes a few seconds to recite in my mind and if I don't say a month it has 31 days, BAM done.

Although I'm also a big dummy and use the thumb and pointer trick for remembering left and right sometimes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DemeaninDemon posted:

Works for 9, too.

Because 3 is a factor of 9 - or is that :thejoke:

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Gorilla Salad posted:

Because 3 is a factor of 9 - or is that :thejoke:

No, he means you can also use the trick of 'add all the digits - if the result is divisible by 9, then the original number was divisible by 9', just like you can for 3.

This isn't just because 3 is a factor of 9, because the trick doesn't work for 6. (though it might be because 3 is the only factor of 9, besides 1 and itself)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just to be pedantic, it actually does work for 6 if the sum is both divisible by 3 and 2 (individually works, you don't have to divide by one then the other). I'd imagine that actually holds up for any number that can be factored into 2 primes, and probably even a wider range than that... I smell a mathematical proof, but I never bothered with those

e: And since it wasn't brought up yet, you can also recursively add up the sum digits if you're dealing with a gigantic number. Sure, it's easy enough to glance at "12" if you're trying to figure out "93" or "255", but you could also take that 12 and make it 3. Likewise you could deal with the kind of numbers that are so long they don't even have official names and just keep adding up the sums. That trick might only work with 3, but again I haven't tried it out. Maybe if you stop recursively adding before you collapse the number smaller than the combined factors you're trying to figure out, but I don't know

vvv:
Ha, I love it, I proved myself wrong with a second unrelated thought. I remember there being some way to do it, but obviously I had the wrong idea there :downsgun:

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Feb 12, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sentient Data posted:

Just to be pedantic, it actually does work for 6 if the sum is both divisible by 3 and 2 (individually works, you don't have to divide by one then the other). I'd imagine that actually holds up for any number that can be factored into 2 primes, and probably even a wider range than that... I smell a mathematical proof, but I never bothered with those

How does that work for 6? 12 is a multiple of 6. The sum of the digits is 3, which is not divisible by 2.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Noonsaliwah posted:

No, he means you can also use the trick of 'add all the digits - if the result is divisible by 9, then the original number was divisible by 9', just like you can for 3.

This isn't just because 3 is a factor of 9, because the trick doesn't work for 6. (though it might be because 3 is the only factor of 9, besides 1 and itself)

Sort of. The proof falls out of 9 being 10-1 in our base 10 system or 10 is 1 mod 9. For 3 it's similar since 10 is 1 mod 3. Also why it doesn't work for 27, the next power of 3.

Other rules are:

4: last two digits divisible by four.
6: divisible by both two and three, or even numbers that follow the threes rule.
7: gently caress off 7 your rule sucks and is tedious
8: last three digits divisible by 8.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr. Stab posted:

How does that work for 6? 12 is a multiple of 6. The sum of the digits is 3, which is not divisible by 2.

It's the original number, not the sum of the digits, eg. 84 is even, 8+4=12, 1+2=3, so 84 is divisible by both two and three, and is therefore a multiple of six (6x14), because x*3 is equal to (x/2)*6, and if the result is an even number then there must be an even number of 3s, so x/2 will be a whole number.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
gently caress math, post lifehacks

Because automatic sinks are so hard to use.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

PubicMice posted:

Because automatic sinks are so hard to use.

Yes, they are. Do you live in a place where automatic faucets work in a way that makes them remotely useful for their intended purpose? I would like to visit such a magical place, and perhaps settle down there to make a life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I was looking for ideas to organize my lipsticks and found a list of poo poo.

It doesn't look very comfortable but yeah ok?

This is sad and just reminds me of my hoarder grandparents, except they would unintentionally just dump magazines from 2003 and random mail from charities in their dish rack because dementia :smith:

Cheese graters are sharp and hurty. I would love to scratch myself while grabbing some earrings as I'm running out the door.

I'm 99% this is animal cruelty because even fish need environments bigger than the inside of a loving computer.

Forgot to screencap it but throw a loving hose on your loving door! Just embrace your inner ghetto white trash rear end and gently caress the HOA brah!!