Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
IPECAC now destroys slot machines and beggars again. Which means it works with Pyromaniac again.

Curse of the Maze transitions got changed again.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

messagemode1 posted:

Well it'll improve your movement speed and charge time...

Isn't Libra particularly nasty when it comes to balancing already high damage? Or am I misreading the wiki:

Rebirth Wiki posted:

The balancing formula for Libra values Damage a little lower than other stats. This means a standard Damage Up effect will actually grant less damage than a standard Speed Up or Range up effect will.

I assume that's a bad thing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anyone know if any of these patches will come to ps4 or are we just gonna be Left Behind?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
i hope the ps4 never changes because every patch makes the game worse

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hell it looks like the Mac version even is being left behind. I want to see these Curse of the Lost transitions you guys are talking about.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

Isn't Libra particularly nasty when it comes to balancing already high damage? Or am I misreading the wiki:

Definitely. Damage is the best stat, but it's not as uber-important as it was in the original I think.

I wouldn't mind Libra if it balanced out a high damage run by boosting speed and tears a lot, but I think it also distributes the points among the less worthwhile stats like shot speed, luck and health.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Libra is only really worth it if you have Soy Milk, or are playing in Co-op mode, since the baby's damage stats will match yours after picking it up.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EC posted:

Anyone know if any of these patches will come to ps4 or are we just gonna be Left Behind?

I think there's a limit on how often Sony will let them put up patches. Iirc, there should be a patch this month.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

ThaumPenguin posted:

PostNouveau posted:

Definitely. Damage is the best stat, but it's not as uber-important as it was in the original I think.

I wouldn't mind Libra if it balanced out a high damage run by boosting speed and tears a lot, but I think it also distributes the points among the less worthwhile stats like shot speed, luck and health.

It honestly feels like it reacts very poorly with damage multiplier items in general. I've tested it using cheatengine before just to see what combinations are good and which are garbage. I remember having off the charts damage with 3 or 4 damage multipliers and a couple damage ups. Suddenly my damage went to 1 and no matter what I picked up it wouldn't even budge. I didn't watch the damage stat on the player info in CE though. I should do that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hate the lost so much, it's not fun redoing the first two levels of the game over and over again.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Reminder that PC players have the alt-f4 option to force-quit out of the game before the last will comes up after a death to be returned to the point of your last save (typically the start of the floor). Abuse it on The Lost runs because relying on the RNG is dumb particularly when spider enemies are involved.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sage Grimm posted:

Reminder that PC players have the alt-f4 option to force-quit out of the game before the last will comes up after a death to be returned to the point of your last save (typically the start of the floor). Abuse it on The Lost runs because relying on the RNG is dumb particularly when spider enemies are involved.

I had to abuse it after every cleared room in Sheol. The four laser eyeballs and flying bombs can all go gently caress themselves.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Welp I've unlocked every item, including all of The Lost's items, now comes the worst part; filling the donation machine and getting the few odd items I don't have.

Fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's only as grindy as you wanna make it, dude :shrug:

edit: vvv I know I said it last time this came up but it bears repeating: That is the fastest way but by no means is it your only option. If you're at that level of "ugh I just wanna grind it out so I can get the game done" then there are probably better uses of your time anyway.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 11, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Re-running the first floor over and over as Azazel was the quickest way I found to fill up the donation machine. The limiting factor isn't how much money you can get, but how much you can donate in a single round, so playing full rounds is kind of pointless.

Bonus points: You can do this while farming for Steven drops.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

CJacobs posted:

It's only as grindy as you wanna make it, dude :shrug:

edit: vvv I know I said it last time this came up but it bears repeating: That is the fastest way but by no means is it your only option. If you're at that level of "ugh I just wanna grind it out so I can get the game done" then there are probably better uses of your time anyway.

True, it's not that the game isn't fun or anything, I like playing it, but I want that sweet sweet true platinum god.

Poizen Jam posted:

Bonus points: You can do this while farming for Steven drops.

I got Steven without trying to. ;)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Looks like the most recent patch fixed Pin's health meter.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Well I've finally beaten the chest and the dark room and boss rush on all the characters on hard... all I have to do now is 3 more challenges and meat boy/bandage girl and then the Lost.

God that still seems like so much to do.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

And I just had a good Azazel run ruined by my own stupidity.

I had Polyphemus, the D6, and the Habit. Then I went into a treasure room with Libra. Libra sounds like it's a bad idea most of the time, so I rerolled it into the Guillotine... and not knowing what the Guillotine did, I picked it up.

Whether "my own stupidity" means picking up the Guillotine or not being able to wrap my head around it is up to you.

Maybe it's not a completely terrible item if you're playing as somebody other than Azazel.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

SnoruntPyro posted:

Going back to the challenges, I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Beans is the worst loving challenge of the lot. I literally beat Family Man, Solar System and Cat Got Your Tongue on my first try but Beans is just horrible. The Bean with a 15-second auto recharge is not a good damage source at all past basement 1 and the challenge makes you find out how fast 99 bombs can go away.

Use your bombs on the doors to rush for bosses and treasure rooms.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Codiekitty posted:

And I just had a good Azazel run ruined by my own stupidity.

I had Polyphemus, the D6, and the Habit. Then I went into a treasure room with Libra. Libra sounds like it's a bad idea most of the time, so I rerolled it into the Guillotine... and not knowing what the Guillotine did, I picked it up.

Whether "my own stupidity" means picking up the Guillotine or not being able to wrap my head around it is up to you.

Maybe it's not a completely terrible item if you're playing as somebody other than Azazel.

Personally, Guillotine is pretty poo poo item all around.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Guillotine is ok if you have mom's knife because it doesn't originate from the head. Then it just functions as a fat protector.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Personally, Guillotine is pretty poo poo item all around.

I want to like it because it's tears and damage up, but yeah, it never turns out good.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It throws your perception of your hit box off, because you're following your head around instead of the smaller body. It's especially bad when it's the only orbital you have. I avoid it whenever I can.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

It throws your perception of your hit box off, because you're following your head around instead of the smaller body. It's especially bad when it's the only orbital you have. I avoid it whenever I can.

Oh good, it's not just me.

Still, it's especially terrible with Azazel because of his low range which is even worse when the head is on the other side of the body, and the charge time since your head generally moves out of range by the time you've gotten a charge.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yeah, Guillotine never does anything but confuse the hell out of me, making it harder not only to hit things but also to move around because I keep walking into walls and other obstacles like a goddamn drunk.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Guillotine is an item, like Isaac's Heart, that functions well only if you completely abandon your normal Isaac instincts. I'm sure there's some more mentally flexible people than me out there that are completely ok with that, but they always throw me off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Guillotine because if you have an item that gives you a big head, you get a big shot-blocking orbital for free :v:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

MMAgCh posted:

Yeah, Guillotine never does anything but confuse the hell out of me, making it harder not only to hit things but also to move around because I keep walking into walls and other obstacles like a goddamn drunk.

I couldn't even get through doors with that thing in effect :saddowns:

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I think I just experienced my first well and truly game-breaking run. I mean, I've had runs where I drop the Lamb or ??? or what have you, but drat. I was doing Family Man, found Tammy's Head in a random chest on the second floor, got Brimstone and Guppy's head in the devil room, then dead cat and the tail on the next. There is something very, very entertaining about walking into a room, pressing space and whatever survives is consumed by the hilarious fly swarm. First time trying Family Man, too.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Wait, you can use Brimstone even when blindfolded?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, you said Tammy's Head, not Cricket's Head.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
With 260 hours on the clock I finally get RPG. Phew. Now I wait until the DLC drops and I'm back on the treadmill. Or rather, I can play it just to see where it goes instead of having a goal in mind.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Beans sure is an annoying challenge. Guess I'll just reload every attempt until Lil Brimstone shows in the first Devil room :argh:.

I really don't enjoy playing the ones that take away your tears.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Guillotine is only any good if you combine it with Wiggle Worm, My Reflection and possibly Tiny Planet.

poo poo gets baffling real quick, yo.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Beans sure is an annoying challenge. Guess I'll just reload every attempt until Lil Brimstone shows in the first Devil room :argh:.

Or just open every gold chest until you get Bobs Brain, it's really good for that challenge, that's how I won.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Soul Glo posted:

I got lucky and found a re-roll room on Catacombs II. I ended up with ball n' chain and attack fly. It was enough to beat the challenge.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't believe how worthless Cursed Eye is. There's very few items I want less.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Met posted:

I can't believe how worthless Cursed Eye is. There's very few items I want less.

I can imagine 20 effects better than 'teleport from room' to make the Eye worthwhile. If it had Polyphemous or Brimstone level damage, it'd be worthwhile even with that kind of curse. But it doesn't. One fast idea I'd be fine with is it forcing you to take a full heart of damage while it's charging, including negating the Wafer on latter floors. Just anything but losing all progress in a room for being hit at the wrong second.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Codiekitty posted:

Also, gently caress the goddamned Cursed Eye. At least the Dead Cat only betrays my trust half the time I pick it up, and half the time it saves my butt. But the Cursed Eye can burn in Sheol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The cursed eye is pretty nice if you're playing as the lost.