Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mike-o posted:

DFACs in Baghdad were the poo poo, Kandahar and Afghanistan generally sucked balls.

Beats tray rats and MREs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Did that all the time. The only time we got DFACs in Baghdad were when we took trips to the green zone. Fuckers had it nice there.
But yeah, can't complain compared to MREs.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mike-o posted:

DFACs in Baghdad were the poo poo, Kandahar and Afghanistan generally sucked balls.

OGA and secret squirrel SOF DFACs in Afghanistan, on the other hand, :swoon::swoon::swoon:

They had these weird red bull-shaped energy drinks that were all green and made my heart hurt.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm pretty sure I could've started a grocery store with the amount of stuff I took out of dfacs at camp victory.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mike-o posted:

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/14/the-best-and-worst-in-kabul-military-dining/?_r=0

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Beats tray rats and MREs

Got stuck with tray rats for months in Shir Ghazay. The Marines in charge decided they didn't want to do things like run the dining tent, so they put the Georgians in charge of the whole loving operation. So we ended up with poo poo like green beans and a boiled egg for breakfast. That's it, no side items, no drinks, no crackers.

When the next unit came in, they immediately put a stop to the Georgians looting the trucks, and I had a chorizo burrito that nearly made me weep with joy.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
LNK and Dwyer DFACs were alright in 2011. Dwyer had Mongolian grills going like every other night(which probably would have sucked if I was ever stationed there, but I was only there after convoys). LNK had the steak and lobster on Sundays, plus one of the smaller DFACs was this bangin' sandwich bar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beats tray rats and MREs

MREs are infinitely superior to those sandwiches in the First Strike. I ate a honey barbecue beef sandwich last night and it was like someone slathered a Slim Jim in fake BBQ sauce and smashed it into some cheap bread. I could barely get through the whole thing. And then the package has plain MRE tortillas with none of the filling, so you have to improvise filling from the rest of the stuff like Starkist tuna and a packet of mayo. On the other hand, I actually like the maple sausage patty from the MREs.

I think I'm going to just buy a case of maple muffin tops.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

MREs are infinitely superior to those sandwiches in the First Strike. I ate a honey barbecue beef sandwich last night and it was like someone slathered a Slim Jim in fake BBQ sauce and smashed it into some cheap bread. I could barely get through the whole thing. And then the package has plain MRE tortillas with none of the filling, so you have to improvise filling from the rest of the stuff like Starkist tuna and a packet of mayo. On the other hand, I actually like the maple sausage patty from the MREs.

Anansi rereg spotted

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Admiral Bosch posted:

LNK and Dwyer DFACs were alright in 2011. Dwyer had Mongolian grills going like every other night(which probably would have sucked if I was ever stationed there, but I was only there after convoys). LNK had the steak and lobster on Sundays, plus one of the smaller DFACs was this bangin' sandwich bar.

My contact position rotated me through Dwyer in 2013 where they nearly immediately began shutting down the base, and decommissioned the DFACs. So we went back to mess tents and tray rats.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

are you eating mres as a civilian? are you some kind of hosed up mutant?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

When we do our winter exercise every year we take a box along and give it to the county guys who plow out the campsite, they're always really excited.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I gave a guy a meatball entree from an MRE I'd managed to acquire at some point as a going away present when he graduated from here, and you would have thought I'd dropped off a cake full of strippers for how excited he was.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Admiral Bosch posted:

In 2010 we had the Mongolian grills at LNK and it loving owned. We didn't have lobster then, but we did have crab and steak. I stopped getting the crab after a while because it always made me sick. Lobster would have owned.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

I gave a guy a meatball entree

i think thats a move n4i likes to use as well

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

They're the most useful food I've found for outdoor activities, especially the FRH. They're not any worse than regular canned or frozen food.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

chitoryu12 posted:

They're the most useful food I've found for outdoor activities, especially the FRH. They're not any worse than regular canned or frozen food.

No but they actually are. Get some raviolis and clif bars dude.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

chitoryu12 posted:

:stare:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i think he is saying he doesn't like the poop when he is camping

that is the only way i can accept his logic

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

lmbo

do you wear camo pants around in your off time?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cole posted:

MREs don't cause constipation or diarrhea. Refusing to eat everything and scarfing down protein powder to bulk up while in a stressful environment will.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 13, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

chitoryu12 posted:

MREs don't cause constipation or diarrhea. Refusing to eat everything and scarfing down protein powder to bulk up while in a stressful environment will.

well in that case i just think you're a loving idiot

glad you'd rather have it that way

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

chitoryu12 posted:

Um.

Have you ever actually lived on MREs for a period of more than a week? Because if not, then this thread needs a name change.

Edit: Either that or you must be downing buckets of fiber and have a colon capable of making GBS threads shards of glass.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

:frogout:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Remind us...what did you do in the service?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ate MREs and poo poo on schedule, apparently.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
First Strike rations are bullshit unless you're basically living off of whatever you can fit in your pockets/pouches for a significant amount of time. In that case the sammiches are amazing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cole posted:

An acceptable position.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Lt. Andrew Sand of the Navy is currently deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan, where he helps train the Afghan National Army.

gay bitch human being

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
the guy who wrote that article is the big idiot in the op:

quote:

I distinctly remember how sunny it was on the beach in Barcelona, Spain, when I received the e-mail about deploying to Afghanistan. It was May 2011, and I was living in Barcelona partly to improve my Spanish, but mostly to just enjoy life.

Earlier that year in January, I had left active duty after serving almost six years with the Navy. Though I had enjoyed my time in the military, I had decided to move on to another career. Living in Barcelona was my gift to myself before beginning law school in the fall.

I had never deployed to a war zone, and it was an experience that I wanted to have.

haha gay navy bitch couldnt even deploy while on 6 years active he mustve been the biggest retard which was proven when he volunteered to go back

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

MREs are super great for when you're taking a bunch of boy scouts out camping, because someone ALWAYS, ALWAYS forgets either a key ingredient or cooking tool, or even if they actually pulled together and remembered to bring the hot dogs, going home and wrestling a brown cantaloupe out of your rear end beats trying to precision-poo poo into the four inch wide hole the disinterested teenager dug for the latrine pit. If you're going to be out more than two, MAYBE three days though, just pack the food yourself and bring a 5 gallon bucket to poop in.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Thump! posted:

Um.

Have you ever actually lived on MREs for a period of more than a week? Because if not, then this thread needs a name change.

Edit: Either that or you must be downing buckets of fiber and have a colon capable of making GBS threads shards of glass.

I ate a whole box of fiber one bars in afghanistan once. I thought I had appendicitis for a day or so into a 5 day patrol. Turns out I'm not immune to fiber one bars.

The sad part was my poo poo wasn't even impressive large.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm p pissed about Andrew Sand tbh

Read that article earlier didn't see how dumb he was thanks afff

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Also irony lol

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I ate a whole box of fiber one bars in afghanistan once. I thought I had appendicitis for a day or so into a 5 day patrol. Turns out I'm not immune to fiber one bars.

The sad part was my poo poo wasn't even impressive large.

when olean was a thing i bought a can of pringles and was playing dreamcast all night and eating the chips normally

i thought my colon had burst open and i was making GBS threads out my organs

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PopeCrunch posted:

MREs are super great for when you're taking a bunch of boy scouts out camping, because someone ALWAYS, ALWAYS forgets either a key ingredient or cooking tool, or even if they actually pulled together and remembered to bring the hot dogs, going home and wrestling a brown cantaloupe out of your rear end beats trying to precision-poo poo into the four inch wide hole the disinterested teenager dug for the latrine pit. If you're going to be out more than two, MAYBE three days though, just pack the food yourself and bring a 5 gallon bucket to poop in.

I thought "Enjoys making GBS threads in a hole in the woods" was a required skill of the hardcore army man

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
I honestly never had problems pooping with MREs. Now that I'm out, I still bring them along on camping trips.

And my woobie is my favorite blanket.

And I fist myself while wearing a FLC with dildos strapped all over it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Painsaw posted:

And my woobie is my favorite blanket.

woobie supremacy

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Even though the one I had issued to me looked to be about 40 years old, and was faded and thin as gently caress, it was still a reasonable bit of kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I think we can all agree that the makers of Tobasco sauce and whoever decided to out the little bottles in MREs and big ones in most DFACs deserve a medal.