Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Malthusian posted:

It's hard to tell through all the marketing speak, but isn't this game just Neverwinter Nights?
There seems to be a required DM and no single-player campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Have we already forgotten Baldur's Gate was a thing? A good thing, even?

Not saying this will be necessarily, but... you know, I wouldn't discount it prematurely.

Edit:

dwarf74 posted:

Well, poo poo.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

dwarf74 posted:

There might be a single-player campaign? It doesn't really say one way or the other. But the majority of campaigns seem like they'll be player-written (by one person, without any play-testing or editors). What could possibly go wrong?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bendigeidfran posted:

There might be a single-player campaign? It doesn't really say one way or the other. But the majority of campaigns seem like they'll be player-written (by one person, without any play-testing or editing). What could possibly go wrong?
Yeah, on second read, there's a line between two big pictures about having one player, but it seems like you still need a DM.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ningyou posted:

also speaking of changeling i guess i've got a Gat Out of Hell key for someone who comes up with a Changeling-themed pun that makes me giggle

Fae nobles have a really insidheous influence.

I know that's not how sidhe is pronounced, but I hope it's glamorous enough that you seelie what I did there anyway. It's not Halloween but it's still pretty s-pookie.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

e: gently caress, it isn't worth it

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Evil Sagan posted:

Why won't Wizards of the Coast fellate fans of my favored setting? :qq:

ummmmm well when folks say 'corporations are people' i don't think they mean it in the 'can get their gently caress on' sense :(

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Error 404 posted:

Generic so as to offend as few people as possible.

5E.txt

(Note: for the purposes of D&D 5th Edition, all minorities are no longer considered to be "people" for any length greater than one paragraph.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It's about ethics in hiring shitburd consultants.

Ningyou posted:

ummmmm well when folks say 'corporations are people' i don't think they mean it in the 'can get their gently caress on' sense :(

Yep.
Eberron D&D, best D&D

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I don't know, I'm cautiously optimistic about that game. It seems pretty much like everything I've ever wanted from a CRPG since I started roleplaying, and provided the GM tools are robust enough it could actually be fun.

Like, yeah, I get the fact that the setup of "multiplayer co-op game where one player takes over as GM" was already done by Neverwinter Nights, but that one was pretty terrible.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Error 404 posted:

Yep.
Eberron D&D, best D&D

It's like LA Noire, but you're an 8-foot magic robot who gets into sword-fights with people on trains.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Didn't Mask of the Betrayer work out okay? Or was that in spite of the Neverwinter Nights engine instead of because of it?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ningyou posted:

That's a shame. If I could literally gently caress a corporation then there would be something to like about them.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Can Eberron be played like Shadowrun because if so I could definitely get behind that.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Nancy_Noxious posted:

(Even here — the only place in the web where talk about Next isn't a circle jerk about how reverence to the D&D ~*tradition~* will save gaming from oblivion — we have user Libertad — a seemingly progressive individual whose posts I enjoyed reading here and elsewhere — who seems to be a Pathfinder/Paizo/regressive mechanics enthusiast.)

I know it's silly to expext that people who are progressive about civil rights would be progressive in game design as well, but I find it baffling. Does the Pathfinder love exist because they sometimes depict* LGBT NPCs in their products? Next is a big pile of regressive crap; how does a single parapraph (sorry, "The Paragraph") about character gender make it progressive in any way? (And why aren't those people all over Blue Rose, a game that does the representation thing much better?)

One of Pathfinder's developers (Jessica Price) is a feminist who frequently talks about how it's important to move beyond all-white, all-skimpy women territory in fantasy gaming. James Jacobs several years ago flat-out told a very homophobic fan (complaining about gay NPCs) that Pathfinder wasn't for him. They were one of the first major tabletop companies to have a transgender woman NPC who wasn't comic relief or a sexual fantasy. Sean K Reynolds wrote an article describing (among other things) why certain behavior towards women gamers at the table is creepy and bad. When GamerGate started up a thread on Paizo boards, it was harshly rebuked and shut down by the mods.

On the flip side, Frank Trollman views heavily houseruled 3rd Edition as the only true way of gaming. He's a Marxist who has criticized racist/sexist content in gaming and said that Anita Sarkeesian has good points.

Pathfinder has a history of loving spellcasters out the wazoo. Frank Trollman is almost incapable of admitting he's wrong on most issues. None of these things are contradictory with the above political views.

Back in the day I used to view Pathfinder's lack of fixing 3.X's flaws as a horrible crime. It's still a problem, but over the years I've warmed up to Paizo. I'd much rather play a game with dudes who think that fighters should be bound to the laws of real-world physics, than far-right conspiracy theorists screaming about Cultural Marxism forcing transgender people in their elf games. And I think that's what's really important in the grand scheme of things.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 12, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Davin Valkri posted:

Didn't Mask of the Betrayer work out okay? Or was that in spite of the Neverwinter Nights engine instead of because of it?
The campaign was okay. I didn't do much multi-player; when I did it was kind of a clusterfuck

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Error 404 posted:

Eberron D&D, best D&D

A really odd way of spelling Mystara.

Davin Valkri posted:

Very much in spite of, NWN2 is one of the clunkiest and most awkward games I've ever played.

Ratpick posted:

I don't know, I'm cautiously optimistic about that game. It seems pretty much like everything I've ever wanted from a CRPG since I started roleplaying, and provided the GM tools are robust enough it could actually be fun.

Like, yeah, I get the fact that the setup of "multiplayer co-op game where one player takes over as GM" was already done by Neverwinter Nights, but that one was pretty terrible.

I just think trying to exactly recreate D&D in a video game is a fruitless and dumb endeavor. The best D&D games don't feel like playing the game digitally, they feel like video games with the license. Give me a sandbox game where you run around the Moonsea or something. Use 5E spells and some rules adapted to that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Can Eberron be played like Shadowrun because if so I could definitely get behind that.

Incredibly easily. The dragonamrked houses are just high-fantasy megacorporations.

e: aw man, the Eberron thread dropped off the forum. :(

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You can always tell when someone's posted something special when you wake up and there are 71 replies to an otherwise slow-moving thread.

I will say that I'm the odd one out who doesn't actually like 13th Age or feel that Strike! is going to adequately sate my desire for further 4E-style gaming which means I'm stuck either waiting for something else that catches my fancy to come along or trying to convince people to run/play more 4E which has its own frustrations to deal with, but whatever.

Libertad! posted:

One of Pathfinder's developers (Jessica Price) is a feminist who frequently talks about how it's important to move beyond all-white, all-skimpy women territory in fantasy gaming. James Jacobs several years ago flat-out told a very homophobic fan (complaining about gay NPCs) that Pathfinder wasn't for him. They were one of the first major tabletop companies to have a transgender woman NPC who wasn't comic relief or a sexual fantasy. Sean K Reynolds wrote an article describing (among other things) why certain behavior towards women gamers at the table is creepy and bad. When GamerGate started up a thread on Paizo boards, it was harshly rebuked and shut down by the mods.

Of course Pathfinder is also the game full of fantasy racist stereotypes like conniving, thieving Gypsies and spearchucking not-Africans, ridiculous romance subsystems, and hillbilly rape-ogres. Yes, I've heard the whole "they're moving past that now" thing but you take the bad with the good, and their "moving past that" doesn't seem to involve a lot of acknowledging and/or refuting the dumb poo poo they've done in the past so much as just quietly hoping people quit bringing it up.

Libertad! posted:

I'd much rather play a game with dudes who think that fighters should be bound to the laws of real-world physics, than far-right conspiracy theorists screaming about Cultural Marxism imposing transgender people in their elf games.

Of course you don't have to play with either is the thing. Good on Paizo for including a respectful trans character and not namedropping toxic shitbirds as consultants. Their game still sucks though.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Lightning Lord posted:

I just think trying to exactly recreate D&D in a video game is a fruitless and dumb endeavor. The best D&D games don't feel like playing the game digitally, they feel like video games with the license. Give me a sandbox game where you run around the Moonsea or something. Use 5E spells and some rules adapted to that.

You may be right. Actually, what I'd like to see using the D&D license (instead of what seems to be essentially a more polished Neverwinter Nights) would basically be a 4-versus-1 dungeon brawler, sort of like a D&D Left 4 Dead with one player taking over for the AI director. Basically an asymmetric game where the GM is playing an RTS throwing mooks upon mooks at the other players while the other players try to complete the dungeon goals.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Ningyou posted:

also speaking of changeling i guess i've got a Gat Out of Hell key for someone who comes up with a Changeling-themed pun that makes me giggle
I don't think Gat Out of Hell plays nice with WINE, but I do love puns.
I heard that CCP is trying to push White Wolf into developing again. Since they're Icelandic, they've got plans for Yngling: the Gleaning, to push the timeline for the World of Darkness back to the Migration Period. I think you're going to be playing as powerful but brooding and flawed heroes. Whatever it is, it beats White Wolf at the end of their independent days.
White Wolf was pretty drat desperate near the end, especially after their commercial tie-in for Yuenling: the Gleaming fell through. A shame, at least it sounded like it was going to be a cool brewery sim, and it was definitely better than what came after. But the worst part was that they were desperate enough to move ahead with Changeling: the Reaming as part of their mature content line.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 12, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kai Tave posted:

Of course you don't have to play with either is the thing. Good on Paizo for including a respectful trans character and not namedropping toxic shitbirds as consultants. Their game still sucks though.

Whether their game sucks or not is not an indication that everyone who plays it wants to mash LGBTQ people and other minorities into a paste to feed the rich though. Totally equating people's taste in games with their politics is garbage of the highest order. The fact that they like or dislike a certain game is mustard on a poo poo sandwich, not the entire disgusting dish. That's where the response comes from.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well it's a good thing that I, at least, wasn't trying to equate those two concepts. I think the post that spurred all this on is also ridiculous but it's also like two or three pages back now and already been thoroughly poked fun at so I didn't really have much to add to it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

Of course Pathfinder is also the game full of fantasy racist stereotypes like conniving, thieving Gypsies and spearchucking not-Africans, ridiculous romance subsystems, and hillbilly rape-ogres. Yes, I've heard the whole "they're moving past that now" thing but you take the bad with the good, and their "moving past that" doesn't seem to involve a lot of acknowledging and/or refuting the dumb poo poo they've done in the past so much as just quietly hoping people quit bringing it up.
I actually like one of their not-Africans because its pretty much a tacit admission that D&D is an imperialistic game which is a type of commentary I wouldn't have expected from a game that does everything in stereotypes.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Lightning Lord posted:

A really odd way of spelling Mystara The Known World.

:colbert:

But yeah, I'd rather see that, or some Ravenloft. FR is to fantasy what "Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman" is to the Western genre.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Simian_Prime posted:

:colbert:

But yeah, I'd rather see that, or some Ravenloft. FR is to fantasy what "Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman" is to the Western genre.

I've never seen Dr. Quinn, but I'm guessing that's not a good thing.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I actually like one of their not-Africans because its pretty much a tacit admission that D&D is an imperialistic game which is a type of commentary I wouldn't have expected from a game that does everything in stereotypes.

You mean in the sense that the stereotypical game pattern is "wandering killy people attack the locals and hijack all their things for someone else/themselves," or in a more overarching thematic sense? Honest question: if/when I make a game of my own, I'd like to avoid any imperialistic implications so I don't feel terrible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd rather this team keeps their hands off Ravenloft. Or licenses it out to a system that handles horror well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's only an admission if it's intentional.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Davin there is nothing wrong with admitting that the StuG III is a funny little turtle that can spew 75mm tennis balls with the best of them. It's only if you start saying the Tiger II was invincible that we start the wehraboo intervention.

More armored fighting vehicles should be judged on how much they looked like funny little turtles.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Davin Valkri posted:

I've never seen Dr. Quinn, but I'm guessing that's not a good thing.

You mean in the sense that the stereotypical game pattern is "wandering killy people attack the locals and hijack all their things for someone else/themselves," or in a more overarching thematic sense? Honest question: if/when I make a game of my own, I'd like to avoid any imperialistic implications so I don't feel terrible.

The whole narrative of "Theres orcs living in that dungeon, kill them and take their stuff because a guy in a bar told you" is kind of messed up when you think about it. Just roll with an evil empire or pirates or something and it'll be fine.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Davin there is nothing wrong with admitting that the StuG III is a funny little turtle that can spew 75mm tennis balls with the best of them. It's only if you start saying the Tiger II was invincible that we start the wehraboo intervention.

How about jerrycans? Do wehraboos gush over jerrycans? Please tell me no, they're too busy gushing over paper tigers like the Sturmtiger (hah!) to gush about the actually good stuff... :pray:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

The whole narrative of "Theres orcs living in that dungeon, kill them and take their stuff because a guy in a bar told you" is kind of messed up when you think about it. Just roll with an evil empire or pirates or something and it'll be fine.

It's really the fact that, in D&D-land, there are only two good Orcs. Orcs touched with the blessing of civilization or dead orcs. Casual observers will say "what's the big deal, they're just monsters" but anyone who puts even an ounce of thought into it will see a troubling pattern of murdering sapient beings because of their race and alleged savagery which is something that has happened in real life to human beings and which is still believed to be righteous by racists, even if they have toned down the overt nature of their rhetoric.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Davin Valkri posted:

You got it right in the first try. The Egyptian analogue in PFS used to be kind of pissed off at the numerous people who wandered into their lands to graverob important artifacts and basically if you played in that faction most of your missions often revolved around reclaiming them.
EDIT:
Also, I say used to because they completely ditched that mechanic because it didn't work gameplay wise.

moths posted:

I'd rather this team keeps their hands off Ravenloft. Or licenses it out to a system that handles horror well.
After learning more about Ravenloft it strikes me as pretty much what Forgotten Realms did except for horror.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 12, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Davin Valkri posted:

How about jerrycans? Do wehraboos gush over jerrycans? Please tell me no, they're too busy gushing over paper tigers like the Sturmtiger (hah!) to gush about the actually good stuff... :pray:

Yeah, see, that's the same thing as thinking the StuG III was an efficient infantry support and assault gun. You'll never find a wehraboo jerking off to the StuG. It's always the charismatic feline megafauna.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Sagan posted:

It's really the fact that, in D&D-land, there are only two good Orcs. Orcs touched with the blessing of civilization or dead orcs. Casual observers will say "what's the big deal, they're just monsters" but anyone who puts even an ounce of thought into it will see a troubling pattern of murdering sapient beings because of their race and alleged savagery which is something that has happened in real life to human beings and which is still believed to be righteous by racists, even if they have toned down the overt nature of their rhetoric.

Keep calm and play Eberron.

for reals though, in spite of being very D&D, a lot of that stuff is turned around in interesting ways in Eberron.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Keep calm and play Eberron.

for reals though, in spite of being very D&D, a lot of that stuff is turned around in interesting ways in Eberron.

Just to expand on this: orcs in Eberron founded one of the major druidic orders, swore ancient oaths to defend the world from anything that might come crawling out of the hellholes near their lands, and consider half-orcs to be favored sons/daughters because they're the "best of both worlds" as it were.

It's amazing what you can do with orcs when you throw out the "orc == Chaotic Evil" concept.

Eberrowns.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just to expand on this: orcs in Eberron founded one of the major druidic orders, swore ancient oaths to defend the world from anything that might come crawling out of the hellholes near their lands, and consider half-orcs to be favored sons/daughters because they're the "best of both worlds" as it were.

It's amazing what you can do with orcs when you throw out the "orc == Chaotic Evil" concept.

Eberrowns.

Eberron also has elves as damaged, genetically engineered abductees from another dimension, who express the central concept of death-cult ancestor worship in multiple distinct ways, from lichifying Grandma to extreme beach volleyball Ren Faire reeenactment in the hopes of being possessed by Elf Oliver Cromwell/George Washington/Boudicca, and has arguably the least lovely Drow in D&D.

In conclusion, Eberrowns.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
For me, this discussion is interesting, because it's always seemed like Orcs were more like a stand-in for the Mongol horde; the imperialists, not the victims, as it were.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Evil Sagan posted:

I don't know, it just seems to me that a complex and vibrant civilization isn't mutually exclusive with being an absolute goddamn terror to the other people around you. The Aztecs, the Mongolians & the Romans were all impressive civilizations with fascinating cultures and complex mythologies and all sorts of other great poo poo but that didn't mean that it didn't suck to be their neighbor.

E;FB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

After learning more about Ravenloft it strikes me as pretty much what Forgotten Realms did except for horror.

Not exactly. Ravenloft is basically Hammer film Arkham Asylum, where especially terrible vampires, Frankensteins, ghosts, and ghost vampires are shut off from the rest of D&D in a Technicolor demiplane.

You have huge named NPCs, but they're stuck there and they're villains. And everything is compartmentalized and themed to the principal NPC. You have not-Transylvania where not-Dracula lives, but it doesn't overlap or generally interact with the ghosts of the not-Scottish moors.

So while it's an anthology setting like Forgotten Realms, there's a lot stronger theming between a particular villain and their dedicated "punishment zone." The huge NPCs are a part of the setting, not Ed Greenwood's Mary Sues and Bob Salvatore's gaming group.

• Locked thread