Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Oliver Reed posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for death metal bands from either South America or parts of Asia other than Japan? My collection is lacking in these two areas.

Depends on how brutal you like your death metal, but Internal Suffering from Colombia are really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LlnSWvpNzk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Ch'aska from Peru are decent

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for death metal bands from either South America or parts of Asia other than Japan? My collection is lacking in these two areas.

Graf Spee were cool and from Uruguay of all places: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ygEvdS9dc

Oliver Reed posted:

I already know and/or enjoy Mortem, Abhorrence, Internal Suffering and Goretrade, but I will totally check out Nesphasth, Mental Horror, Claustrofobia and Ophiolatry.

I'm always wondering what the DM scene is like in certain parts of Africa, or India, or obscure parts of South America or Asia, etc...there seems to be great poo poo everywhere if you dig.

You're not going to find much worth bothering with from Africa, most countries don't have much if any metal scene and I don't think the ones that do are really doing anything of note. There's a few Indian bands I've seen mentioned here and there but again nothing too great. I'm not sure why you'd want african metal anyway - just seems like novelty seeking to me.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Oliver Reed posted:

I already know and/or enjoy Mortem, Abhorrence, Internal Suffering and Goretrade, but I will totally check out Nesphasth, Mental Horror, Claustrofobia and Ophiolatry.

I'm always wondering what the DM scene is like in certain parts of Africa, or India, or obscure parts of South America or Asia, etc...there seems to be great poo poo everywhere if you dig.

I apparently can't read too good, so to make up for it, I offer Perdition, a black metal band from Chile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov21EO2adnA.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
New vid of the most brutal band representin' yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mzT4uTDSI

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
After last night I gotta say Voivod might be the tightest live band I've ever seen. Godamn that was a set. If you even like them a tiny bit on record, they are 10 times better live.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
was their set mostly new stuff or did they play a good deal of their KT through Nothingface era

if the latter, i'm loving there

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Gamma Nerd posted:

was their set mostly new stuff or did they play a good deal of their KT through Nothingface era

if the latter, i'm loving there

All over, they played Voivod, uhhh one off killing tech, psychic vacuum off dimension, i believe two off nothingface. I don't remember setlists that well but at least those five.

EDIT: Also for sure they played at least one off Target Earth, and they played that new single they released, I Am Connected.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 12, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Awesome. I'm not a fan of their alt-metal/groove era (angel rat, negatron, etc) at all, but KT through Nothingface is some of my favorite music ever, so I'm definitely going to the seattle show.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'll interview Nightwish in about 30 minutes, and then I'll listen to their upcoming album (from restricted ipod provided by the label, to be used in their presence).
I'll post my impressions later.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

I'll interview Nightwish in about 30 minutes, and then I'll listen to their upcoming album (from restricted ipod provided by the label, to be used in their presence).
I'll post my impressions later.

Is that awkward as gently caress?

I mean, if it's awful, how do you react?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hammer Floyd posted:

That's what I was thinking.

I can imagine Tuomas watching all like :allears:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

No need for an 'if'.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Hammer Floyd posted:

It's weird, especially because even though I like Nightwish I don't give that much of a gently caress about it. I see some people here really concentrating and taking notes... I'm just listening to it while reading the newspaper. It's a single spin, I'm not going to review it.

So far (I'm about to start the last song which is like 20 minutes long) the album is quite nice. It isn't really groundbreaking, but it sounds much better than they did with Anette Olzon, and the addition of pipes works really well.
Tuomas is wearing a Darwin shirt, two of the songs in the album reference darwin, and Richard Dawkins makes an appearance as a narrator, so I'm guessing this dude discovered atheism, and is being super subtle about it.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

It's weird, especially because even though I like Nightwish I don't give that much of a gently caress about it. I see some people here really concentrating and taking notes... I'm just listening to it while reading the newspaper. It's a single spin, I'm not going to review it.

So far (I'm about to start the last song which is like 20 minutes long) the album is quite nice. It isn't really groundbreaking, but it sounds much better than they did with Anette Olzon, and the addition of pipes works really well.
Tuomas is wearing a Darwin shirt, two of the songs in the album reference darwin, and Richard Dawkins makes an appearance as a narrator, so I'm guessing this dude discovered atheism, and is being super subtle about it.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Precisely. Dawkins sounds as approachable and down to earth as always.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Non Serviam posted:

The album title is taken from a Darwin quote.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." - Charles Darwin 1859

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Dear athetits
if god dont exist s

how tuomas a grown man but sad little baby boy inside??

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

funeral fag posted:

Dear athetits
if god dont exist s

how tuomas a grown man but sad little baby boy inside??

check and mate

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

What's the most cringeworthy lyric because the b-side namedrops Carl Sagan so he's set the bar high.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The album title is taken from a Darwin quote.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." - Charles Darwin 1859

Yes, that's what I meant too. There's a song called Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and one called The Greatest Show On Earth, a 24 minute marathon of darwin and Dawkins.

I really liked the album, but the Dawkins narration in the last song, seemed a bit cringe worthy, because they really are just basic information about evolution, as well as some inspirational darwinian quotes.
It's ok, just not too subtle as to what he's trying to do. It's also strange when you think that his first album had the song The Carpenter, which I always thought of as about Jesus.

Feb 8, 2008
I'm going to see Alestorm on Saturday at El Corazon in Seattle. Should be a sweaty and nerdy good time. Those guys put on a pretty good show from what I hear. Plus their new album is pretty much peak pirate metal, IMHO.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

7734 posted:

I'm going to see Alestorm on Saturday at El Corazon in Seattle. Should be a sweaty and nerdy good time. Those guys put on a pretty good show from what I hear. Plus their new album is pretty much peak pirate metal, IMHO.

Alestorm have never been good, but their latest album was even worse than usual.

Have fun.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Actually Alestorm have been great from the beginning and every album has been better than the previous one.
Happy to help, let me know if you need anything else corrected.

Feb 8, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

Alestorm have never been good, but their latest album was even worse than usual.

Have fun.

Someone piss in your cornflakes? Alestorm is not meant to be taken serious at all. Even the band knows it's a silly gimmick, I'll wear my "grim and dark and evil" Darkthrone shirt though. Maybe that will balance out all the fun, because it's not like Fenriz enjoys a wide variety of genres of music or anything.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

7734 posted:

Someone piss in your cornflakes? Alestorm is not meant to be taken serious at all. Even the band knows it's a silly gimmick, I'll wear my "grim and dark and evil" Darkthrone shirt though. Maybe that will balance out all the fun, because it's not like Fenriz enjoys a wide variety of genres of music or anything.

I'm sorry, I clearly came out like an rear end in a top hat. I didn't mean that.
I just can't not bitch at a band that covered "hangover".

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
Gimmick bands are never good, or interesting

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

b0ner of doom posted:

how do you even listen to metal at all

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

b0ner of doom posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

b0ner of doom posted:

I disagree with this though. I think that a band can keep using a gimmick and not suck. I just think Alestorm didn't manage to do it very well.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

b0ner of doom posted:

What if your gimmick is to be good and interesting

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

dont the metalsucks Facebook page

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

name a metal band without a gimmick

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

name a metal band without a gimmick

Xudef Klas.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gimmick 1: Being Foreign
Gimmick 2: Shirts Lack Sleeves

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Just found an awesome old Judas Priest live video that I haven't seen before and thought I'd share. No gimmicks here, leather is a lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8TgL-XJP8

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

speaking of awesome old videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDZPBqVrKHE

e: VVV You can be gimmicky and still be serious about it. Just look at Manowar or any Viking/black metal band.

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 13, 2015

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

how do you even listen to metal at all

pretty easy considering a lot of metal bands are completely serious about whatever you think their "gimmick" is

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Bruce Kison posted:

You can be gimmicky and still be serious about it. Just look at Manowar or any Viking/black metal band.

Or Nile. By b0ner's standards, Nile aren't a gimmick band, which is a... strange claim to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's fascinating how posters in this forum will defend the most awful garbage in whatever genre happens to be under discussion with the excuse that it's 'just a joke' and not serious or whatever. It's the same thing that led to that pirate rap poo poo years ago. How lame do you have to be to tolerate that gimmicky bullshit? There's so much genuinely good poo poo out there and you're choosing to listen to Alestorm.

7734 posted:

This is a false dichotomy that has been brought up before in this thread. Non gimmicky does not mean whatever kvlt grim black metal strawman you think it does. There is 'fun' metal that is also good.