Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

net cafe scandal posted:

Who is everyones favorite alt universe Spider-Man? Mine is SP//Dr.

I really liked Steam Punk Spider Woman

EDIT: If Superior Spider-Man counts thats my answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

90s cartoon Spider-m.. oh.

Too bad he didn't show up, just that Spider-man Unlimited dude.
90s Cartoon Spider-man would've been the best to show up with the symbiote, telling Morlun he's chase him to the end of the multiverse or something.

Favorite Alt Spidey would have to be SP//Dr., but Lady Spider, Spider-Punk and Gwen were really great. This dumb event had some really nice tie-ins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Too bad he didn't show up, just that Spider-man Unlimited dude.

He would have been like "Oh multiverse stuff, I'm used to this! Follow my lead suckaz!"

Also I change my answer to this guy

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The entire last issue of this was a big wet fart. Keep on meeting my expectations, Slott.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The entire last issue of this was a big wet fart. Keep on meeting my expectations, Slott.

He will as long as you keep buying the comics. :mad:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

He would have been like "Oh multiverse stuff, I'm used to this! Follow my lead suckaz!"

"Stop there, Parker, that's not how we do things, we're heroes and heroes do not punch!"

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Because she's been in some really lovely books and is pretty much a sex object at this point.

She could be more. Hell, Alpha's mini was actually pretty good but no one cares anymore and he is Forgotten Teenager Hero #382920(c).

In Alpha's case you were never intended to like him and he was intended to be a lovely hero from the start, a fact further reinforced by his mini where his personality is better but he's just absolutely terrible at the hero thing no matter how well meaning.

Silk is Alpha if you were intended to actually like him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Making Wolverine into a grimdark teenage girl was just making text the subtext hanging around him for years. The reason he hangs around with young girls so much isn't some mentoring older figure thing, nor is it him creeping, it's that those are his people.

Daniel Way said that the only reason X-23 existed was to give guys an excuse to jerk off to Wolverine in a "not homo way."

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

net cafe scandal posted:

SP//dr rocked but Spider-Punk was my favorite.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Why am I sitting here and I haven't gotten my "Logan is dead and in hell with Jean in Heaven fighting for each other" romance epic illustrated by Hughes and written by Neil Gaiman and subsequently Cyclops dumps Emma for X-23 and we finally get the sort of Cyclops-"Wolverine" romance phase?

EDIT: Well, I guess this is the Spider thread. Not the X thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Daniel Way said that the only reason X-23 existed was to give guys an excuse to jerk off to Wolverine in a "not homo way."

Which is why she was introduced in the cartoon for children. Ugh, making her a prostitute is another thing we can 'thank' Quesada for.

Suben posted:

In Alpha's case you were never intended to like him and he was intended to be a lovely hero from the start, a fact further reinforced by his mini where his personality is better but he's just absolutely terrible at the hero thing no matter how well meaning.

Silk is Alpha if you were intended to actually like him.

So for the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, they added a character who was always meant to be an insufferable prick and a temporary addition to the cast. Great job guys! Make mine Marvel!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 13, 2015

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

net cafe scandal posted:

I really liked Penelope Parker. I'm sad we'll almost certainly never see her again, but it's probably for the best, because the only way a character like that ever comes back in comics is if they're trying to kill her off to be edgy in some terrible schlock like Avengers Arena.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

I really liked Penelope Parker. I'm sad we'll almost certainly never see her again, but it's probably for the best, because the only way a character like that ever comes back in comics is if they're trying to kill her off to be edgy in some terrible schlock like Avengers Arena.

Did she even show up outside of her own strips?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

So for the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, they added a character who was always meant to be an insufferable prick and a temporary addition to the cast. Great job guys! Make mine Marvel!

It was to contrast what makes Peter Parker special compared to some random fuckoff kid. It wasn't exactly subtle.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

net cafe scandal posted:

Obviously I have a lot of affection for Spider-Punk, but as far as poo poo that I didn't make goes, it would be SP//Dr. Their version of Mysterio and Daredevil were great. I would never have thought that Gerard Way would be a good comics writer.

Actually, that reminds of Nick Spencer. How was Superior Foes so good when Morning Glories was such tat?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was? Isn't Morning Glories still going?

fake edit: Yeah, I just checked. #43 came out yesterday.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Get the gently caress out of here. 43 issues?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the point was to show that Peter's kind of a special case and his experiences and poo poo forged have made him the great hero and man that he is as opposed to the kid who got everything handed to him. It was to show that you can't put just anyone in Peter's situation and expect them to be the same great hero.

Of course it's Slott so the execution is just flat and dumb. Someone on /co/ of all places I think said it best in that (kind of paraphrasing or going off of memories so it's more the idea) Slott has ideas that look nice on paper and maybe as twists and story beats they're not necessarily bad, it's just that they happen and it's quickly on to the next one with no reaction. Alpha's story should've been longer and a slower build instead of being a handful of issues and consigned to obscurity and I think that's emblematic of Slott's problem as the writer of Spider-Man in general.

Look at the end of Spider-Verse: Leopardon's comeback is treated like a huge deal but it never matters beyond the one page it happens. All this time in the run up was spent building up Karn and an issue of one of the tie-ins was dedicated to the heroes recruiting him and bringing him over to their side as a trump card against the Inheritors. He shows up in ASM and does... what, exactly? Causes some shocked looks on his family's face for a page, yells "FOR FREEDOM!" in another and that's literally it. Or look at Ben where the entire previous issue is spent on recruiting him and he basically shows up to (essentially off screen) take Benji back to his universe with maybe, MAYBE, one line of dialogue in the issue. Look at Captain Universe Spidey's death a few issues earlier where he, again, does nothing. The bad guys show up and he's dead in a handful of pages without having ever put up a fight. Solus is built up as the big villain and then just dies out of nowhere with no fanfare. gently caress, nobody's even sure if Kaine's actually dead because he got a claw jammed through his head and... that's it, they never specify his living/dead status.

And that's just one story. Slott's Spider-Man is like this the entire way through. It's like he gets what he thinks is a cool story beat and his entire goal is getting to that beat and once it's happened it's quickly discarded in favor of the next cool beat he has. The build up doesn't matter, making sure it actually works or comes off in a satisfying manner doesn't matter, the aftermath doesn't matter, only the idea itself. It's pretty much just COOL IDEA A ---some poo poo I dunno--> COOL IDEA B --some poo poo I dunno--> COOL IDEA C, and on and on.

It's kind of like Geoff Johns at his worst (Blackest Night) except more frustrating because at least Johns doesn't have an overinflated ego with compartively thin skin and stuff like that isn't as common for Johns as it is for Slott going on years now.

Suben fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 13, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also ruining Green Lantern isn't nearly as egregious as ruining Spider-man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Get the gently caress out of here. 43 issues?

We stopped carrying it somewhere in the mid 20's.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Also ruining Green Lantern isn't nearly as egregious as ruining Spider-man.

I was gonna point out that Johns was writing Superman but supposedly that was good? Or was it just Pak and Soule's stuff that's good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I was gonna point out that Johns was writing Superman but supposedly that was good? Or was it just Pak and Soule's stuff that's good?

I can't comment on that, not having read it. But while Johns' GL was a fun ride a fair amount of the time, he also kind of laid waste to the entire cast and premise on the way.

Slott is just ruining things without producing anything enjoyable on the way.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Lurdiak posted:

They cast the new Spider-Man pretty loving fast.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Did she even show up outside of her own strips?
No, unless she showed up in one of the horde scenes. Even if she's in continuity with the rest of the multiverse, it's hard to imagine anybody recruiting an eleven-year-old girl.

Her story did end with one of those "Is this the end...?" teasers, but unless she becomes Anya's bratty adopted sister after Secret Wars or something, I'm pretty sure that it is, in fact, the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sure if people had responded as strongly to her as Spider-Gwen, they'd put out something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thinking about it more the only Inheritor I kinda liked was Jennix and mainly because of those absolutely fabulous muttonchops.

Also doing stuff other than 'hunt spiders, make pithy one-liner as he kills them' once in a while, but mainly that hair.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What's Scorpion been up to lately?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

He will as long as you keep buying the comics. :mad:

I haven't paid money for a comic with Slott as the writer in years. I read this arc in the store.

E: On Johns and Green Lantern- he at least got a few pretty good arcs out of the character before ruining it all, which is more than Slott can say for Spidey.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

What's Scorpion been up to lately?

IIRC, Spock beat the poo poo out of him (like put him in a full-body cast and literally broke his jaw clean off) during like, his first week of being Spidey (his reaction was "Wow I never realized Parker was pulling his punches so much all this time"), then Spider-Slayer fixed him up with NANOMACHINES, but then Spock killed Spider-Slayer so the nanomachines stopped working and he went back to being incapacitated.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

It was to contrast what makes Peter Parker special compared to some random fuckoff kid. It wasn't exactly subtle.

I'm genuinely surprised Slott didn't try Spider-Verse back then-he's a fan of Doctor Who, and teaming up multiple incarnations of the character for anniversary specials is a cherished Doctor Who tradition.

I guess maybe it would have trodden on Spider-Men a bit though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think it was because his focus was on Superior starting after issue 700, so lovely guy to show peter is a good guy story #46 for the anniversary and nobody will remember that boring thing when the time comes for Superior.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

Tie between Spider-Punk and Spider-Gwen.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

net cafe scandal posted:

I like SP//dr too because she's anime in a really cool way, and I wish Gerard Way and Jake Wyatt would write an ongoing of her.

Spider-Gwen is really cool, too. Also she's going to be a sidekick character in Marvel Heroes (the Marvel Diablo game)?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, she's gonna be an 'Enhanced' skin for regular Spider-Man (meaning she'll play the same, but have new animations and voiceovers)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Penelope Parker and Newspaper Spiderman are tops.
Scarlet Spider Ben
Spider Gwen
Scarlet Spider Kaine
Spiderman 2099
Spider Britain

Spider Universe would have been cool but was useless.

Miles' crew would have been good too but we're only for shits and giggles and Leopardon. Spider Ham was more like that pig from Liberty Meadows. Superior was eh. Mayday was there and Silk was the meh and Jessica Drew was like...thrown in.

Spider Punk had a great mini.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

TwoPair posted:

IIRC, Spock beat the poo poo out of him (like put him in a full-body cast and literally broke his jaw clean off) during like, his first week of being Spidey (his reaction was "Wow I never realized Parker was pulling his punches so much all this time"), then Spider-Slayer fixed him up with NANOMACHINES, but then Spock killed Spider-Slayer so the nanomachines stopped working and he went back to being incapacitated.

Oh, right. That sucks. Hope he gets better soon

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
SpiderGwen and SP//dr were both great but as a former teenage anarchist I find myself wanting to buy two copies of the Spider-Punk issue so I can frame the whole thing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Slott didn't try Spider-Verse back then-he's a fan of Doctor Who, and teaming up multiple incarnations of the character for anniversary specials is a cherished Doctor Who tradition.

I guess maybe it would have trodden on Spider-Men a bit though.

He wanted to do Spider-Verse back then, but Alonso said that it needed to be a Peter Parker story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

He wanted to do Spider-Verse back then, but Alonso said that it needed to be a Peter Parker story.

I thought the 50th anniversary/Alpha took place before Superior kicked off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Nevvy Z posted:

SpiderGwen and SP//dr were both great but as a former teenage anarchist I find myself wanting to buy two copies of the Spider-Punk issue so I can frame the whole thing.

I'd love to read a story teaming these three up. They'd have enough character overlap to work well together but enough differences to bounce off each other nicely.

• Locked thread