Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
So far I'm enjoying this game. I do see it getting old quick though. Couple of thoughts:

Initially, the Wraith seems overpowered. Saw someone post on reddit that the thing has like a 90% win rate. I'm not crying and backing out of the game if I see one like some people have been but it's so far been the least fun part of the game. It seems like you chase the thing for 15 minutes until it hits level 3 then flock to the power station so it can promptly wipe out your team in 30 seconds. I'm also wondering if it's because people haven't unlocked the right gear or characters. I'll hold off on judgement for a few weeks.

It's the first game I've ragequit in a long time. Not because of difficulty but because the medic on my team literally camped on top a loving rock with a sniper rifle like it was CoD. Didn't help track, didn't help chase. It was enraging. The point is this game is alot better if you have even mildly competent teammates.

Based on this thread, I look forward to the thread for The Order which will undoubtedly lead to an actual physical civil war amongst goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Chomp8645 posted:

That's a satire site.

Way to ruin the joke you humorless schmuck.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GenericOverusedName posted:

wow, rude

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
i like to be mad at video games

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GenericOverusedName posted:

Sorry I didn't read it. I closed it the second I saw the website it was from because every satire site on the internet not named "The Onion" is total garbage.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's ok, I just like the word "schmuck".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flying around as kraken is really fun, but you're a bit squishy, it's hilarious setting off birds on purpose then hiding your mines in the bushes.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Is there a sort of voodoo ritual I need to perform as Maggie to get her harpoons to shoot? I literally was fighting a Goliath for over 2 minutes in this area, all 5 of my traps around it, none ever went off. I even reset them twice to see if maybe they just had bad positions- nothing.

vvvvv lol, that guy sure is mad about some skins

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 12, 2015

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Here's what you need to know about Evolve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRujOkqgzY

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

quaunaut posted:

Is there a sort of voodoo ritual I need to perform as Maggie to get her harpoons to shoot? I literally was fighting a Goliath for over 2 minutes in this area, all 5 of my traps around it, none ever went off. I even reset them twice to see if maybe they just had bad positions- nothing.

There are basically three dimensions on which the harpoon traps can be measured: time to arm, trigger range, and placement range. They are terrible on all three of these axes. You probably just aren't quite close enough.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Harpoon traps don't really bother me as Goliath.

As kraken I want to loving cry because I need to fly away and I have to hit that tiny beam now and oh mygodwhyamibleedingfromm-dead

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I'm having a decent time farting around in this, but I loving hate when games separate the playable classes behind stuff like what they do here. Want to be Bucket? Have fun unlocking him! want to be the final assault class? Enjoy getting there!

The game is fun so I don't mind, it's just annoying not being able to play the class you want at start.

Yeah, that progression choice is generally really poor. You can download and play five minutes of the companion app to skip the worst of this, however.

snodig posted:

Don't know if it has been posted, but you can change the FoV by creating 'autoexec.cfg' in Steamapps\common\EvolveGame\ -- and add:

cl_fov_merc = <from 60 to 120>
cl_fov_monsterThirdPerson = <from 60 to 120>

disable mouse acceleration:
i_mouse_accel = 0
i_mouse_smooth = 0

set max fps:
sys_MaxFps =

And FoV like earlier posted is:
cl_fov_merc = minimum 60, maximum 120
cl_fov_monsterThirdPerson = minimum 60, maximum 120

You can also disable the intro video/main menu video by going to steamapps\common\EvolveGame\Game and rename 'Videos_stage1.pak' to 'Videos_stage1.pak_remove'

Woah woah woah, the FOV for merc and monster is 60? I get that 60 is the default for an FPS game, but 60 for third person is really low! Thanks for posting this; I'll be changing these to 90 tonight.

Eonwe posted:

remember expansion packs? those were good

Sadly you can blame some of the European countries, Korea, and China for killing these. "Expansions" get treated with drastically different and more rigorous/expensive rules around certification and approval than DLC, so devs will almost always prefer DLC instead given the opportunity.

Kewpuh posted:

let me ask you a serious question. do you really give a poo poo what qnxnx has to say about anything? does his opinion on a video game mean anything to you? was it even necessary to acknowledge his post and type this post out? if i enjoy a video game and someone says that it sucks, i could not possibly give any less of a poo poo. thats more game for me motherfuckers.

gonger posted:

tl;dr people acting like dicks for their own amusement makes others less willing to participate in a conversation

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
1) I like widestancer's new avatar personally imo

2) I think people should be nice to brackhar, who is a nice person, VS the penetrator, who is a retarded idiot, even if he is responsible for a moba

Oh, don't buy Evolve right now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gonger posted:

tl;dr people acting like dicks for their own amusement makes others less willing to participate in a conversation
you know you can put people who say the Bad Words on ignore? or just dont be a little bitch in an internet thread and post what you want?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Zombies' Downfall posted:

2) I think people should be nice to brackhar, who is a nice person, VS the penetrator, who is a retarded idiot, even if he is responsible for a moba

:agreed:
:agreed:
:disagreed:

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Brackhar posted:

Woah woah woah, the FOV for merc and monster is 60? I get that 60 is the default for an FPS game, but 60 for third person is really low! Thanks for posting this; I'll be changing these to 90 tonight.

No the default for the monster is 90, but I guess you can lower it to 60 if you're crazy or something. Hunter is 60 by default.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

the penetrator has neither worked on a moba nor wished for the return of old, louisgod era games, that makes him infinitely better than the moba man

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

GentlemanGiant posted:

No the default for the monster is 90, but I guess you can lower it to 60 if you're crazy or something. Hunter is 60 by default.

This is correct.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

GentlemanGiant posted:

Oh, ok, that's not so bad then. Does increasing the hunter FOV mess with weapon animations like Bucket's UAV takeoff/flight?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Brackhar posted:

Oh, ok, that's not so bad then. Does increasing the hunter FOV mess with weapon animations like Bucket's UAV takeoff/flight?

Good question, id' be curious to know before I do it myself.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a cock shaped fruit posted:

People keep saying this, TurtleRock have really clearly said that it is in no way their intention to make it competitive - if somewhere down the track, people WANT it to be competitive, they MIGHT entertain the idea, but they are of the opinion that you don't design a game to be competitive - You make the game as good as you can, and if the opportunity arises, then you can entertain that idea. I personally can't think of a single successful game that was built from the ground up to be a competitively played game, that didn't have some kind of legacy that already helped drive it. People keep saying SMITE is but that game still looks terrible in my opinion.

They shouldn't have had Ayesee cast one of the first videos of the game as if it was a competitive match then.

Also SMITE is only a competitive game because Hi Rez will pump money into it, it's not balanced well, it's a terrible spectator game, and it had no scene.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
If anyone wants to play on the bone right now, I have one other goon with me. Send me a message. GT is "puppy party"

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

They shouldn't have had Ayesee cast one of the first videos of the game as if it was a competitive match then.

2K were the people bringing guys like that in. Even the regular caster, DBsinclair, is a 2K employee - not a Turtle Rock one.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also SMITE is only a competitive game because Hi Rez will pump money into it, it's not balanced well, it's a terrible spectator game, and it had no scene.

Yeah I tried watching it, but the field of view is garbage and the action is easy to miss.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What service or value to this game has 2K actually provided?

Their pricing/versions at launch caused a shitstorm.

Their DLC caused a shitstorm.

They tried to push esports when the game really isn't suited.

That the game is good and fun despite their interference is some sort of miracle.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Eonwe posted:

remember expansion packs? those were good

yeah i remember when 2k charged me more for the xcom expansion than the base game + a load of overpriced dlc and i gobbled it up like a greedy little cumpig and then rubbed my full belly and burped cum bubbles.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That fat British guy had the best review of this game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

bonds0097 posted:

What's better about movement in NS2?

I personally really like leaping and climbing as the Hulk/Goliath in third person.

Is NS2 movement like AVP Alien movement?

NS2 movement is kind of like Quake movement, in that you build and lose momentum rather than having things like animations cancel out your momentum. A good example is the leap ability from both games. In Evolve you feel like you're going fast in the air but when you hit the ground you lose that extra speed instantly. In Natural selection you can leap and retain your momentum afterwards by jumping. Even if you don't jump you still quickly lose speed on the ground rather than instantly losing it.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Is it just me or is improved stamina the best thing as monster? Lots of hunters seem to be taking the jetpack perk and its really hard to shake them if you don't have the extra leaps/flights.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Senethro posted:

Is it just me or is improved stamina the best thing as monster? Lots of hunters seem to be taking the jetpack perk and its really hard to shake them if you don't have the extra leaps/flights.

This is always my biggest problem with goliath. I had a team today that couldn't even break my armor as lvl 1 but I ended up losing because I just couldn't shake them to evolve.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Dyz posted:

This is always my biggest problem with goliath. I had a team today that couldn't even break my armor as lvl 1 but I ended up losing because I just couldn't shake them to evolve.

This is why I always take the jetpack perk. Getting blueballed by a monster that can perpetually run away is the most aggravating thing.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I see too many monsters not using all their speed to get away. Any dope can hit spacebar (some even know "aim up to go a little further" and "jump off high things to go lots further") but a lot of people ignore the mobility of Charge and Leap Smash. That's two extra jumps on a different cooldown!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Evolve: at least it isn't dota

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eonwe posted:

Evolve: at least it isn't dota

But it is Dota. The hunters are four supports and every monster is Anti-Mage. They have 30 minutes to gank him in the jungle or he'll burst out and rape their faces.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

I see too many monsters not using all their speed to get away. Any dope can hit spacebar (some even know "aim up to go a little further" and "jump off high things to go lots further") but a lot of people ignore the mobility of Charge and Leap Smash. That's two extra jumps on a different cooldown!

Yeah, a bit thing for me when it clicked is when I realized using charge to get away was a completely fine strategy. I was used to basically ignoring all my abilities unless I was expressly fighting.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Another thing I'm really not liking is that as the monster, I'm basically penalized for winning quickly. I'm actually incentivized to make the match last as long as possible so that I can rack up progression, XP, etc. When I win in 3-4 minutes, I basically don't get jack squat for winning.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I've discovered that this game is most fun when everyone involved, including yourself, is absolutely loving terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfsHlgxlZS4

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
With Wraith you need to get the hell out of the Nova burst. As soon as you see it back out and fire at it. At worst the Wraith will Abduct you back in, just try and dash jump out of the way.

The Wraith is actually the funniest monster that I find fighting.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

But it is Dota. The hunters are four supports and every monster is Anti-Mage. They have 30 minutes to gank him in the jungle or he'll burst out and rape their faces.

loving this x1000. Even winning against wraith players is an incredibly unfun slog.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Dyz posted:

Just got charge and jump away man. I find the best way to shake people is charge out fast, jump a bit, then either lose them in some water or sneak around to kill the trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Dyz posted:

Get charge and Leap Smash as your first 2 skills and whenever you get into a fight, use the standard leap mixed with charging and leap smashing to get distance quickly.

• Locked thread