Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

If you knew layoffs were coming you should've told those people you rear end

I always do. It's amazing how many people wouldn't believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

jon joe posted:

What's truck equity look like in the apocalypse? Zombie movies show a market crash.

Buy a green Hyundai Tucson. It will stay pristine and washed through three seasons of zombie slaying

Nail Rat posted:

30% canned food
20% medicine
15% guns and ammo (40/60 rifle/handgun split)
15% seeds
15% basil
5% live chickens

The canned food is for if you have to move, because you'll only have what you can harvest from the plants at the time. Herding chickens would be tough, hence why it's considered a risky asset class.

Also, guns/ammo do have other dividend opportunities than stealing from unarmed people; you can hunt animals with them!

"... but you can only carry 200 lbs of food back to the wagon"

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

HonorableTB posted:

If you knew layoffs were coming you should've told those people you rear end

After you lined up your own new employment, of course.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Barry posted:

After you lined up your own new employment, of course.

"Good with income, the networking megathread"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I took the least ballsy EE path, power engineering. I'll never be fabulously wealthy, but I'll always be gainfully employed, barring a complete societal collapse. Sometimes I wish I'd rolled the dice and gone into tech or become a programmer... stories like that make me pretty thankful I didn't.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

I always do. It's amazing how many people wouldn't believe me.

Games industry always has layoffs. I don't know how people could not expect them. The movie industry is the same but the layoffs are usually announced a few months in advance and those who are prepared to move usually leave months before the end of the film they're working on. Just the nature of these businesses unfortunately.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
You could replace game industry with vfx industry and had the exact same last 2 pages of this thread.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Go into digital marketing instead. The income-per-unit-knowledge/competence is incredible.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah, what do I know. I only support my family while working in video games.
Have you been laid off every year or two, forcing several awkward moves and financial instability? No? Then what I said doesn't apply to you.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cicero posted:

Have you been laid off every year or two, forcing several awkward moves and financial instability? No? Then what I said doesn't apply to you.

Yes. Try reading what I posted.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yes. Try reading what I posted.
I did, hence why I spoke for you already in my reply with the 'No?' bit.

edit: wait, "Yes." makes no sense, you already said you handled the layoffs without it impacting your life, therefore what I said doesn't apply to you.

edit2: Doing

quote:

It's just a matter of being smart and keeping your eyes open. I've been doing this for 5 years and have been laid off twice. I knew both layoffs were happening months in advance because I kept my eyes open and saw what was going on, so in both case I had jobs lined up that were promotions. I'm always shocked when people tell me "I had no idea this was coming!" I knew your company was doing layoffs and I don't even work there!

It's a niche industry. Don't move to one shop towns. Move to the Bay Area or Seattle or Austin. That way when you get laid off you'll have a dozen other studios who will be hiring.
is fine, but obviously that's not what the guy in the story did, hence why I think he's selfish.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2015

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Comrade Flynn posted:

What about gold bullets?

Silver bullion is both a hedge against inflation and werewolves

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Radbot posted:

Go into digital marketing instead. The income-per-unit-knowledge/competence is incredible.

Seconding this. The platform rules/methods change so quickly that years of experience isn't super valuable. You'd basically be able to do it in 6 months and if you were good, you could be making 100K+ within 2 years.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

30% canned food
20% medicine
15% guns and ammo (40/60 rifle/handgun split)
15% seeds
15% basil
5% live chickens

The canned food is for if you have to move, because you'll only have what you can harvest from the plants at the time. Herding chickens would be tough, hence why it's considered a risky asset class.

Also, guns/ammo do have other dividend opportunities than stealing from unarmed people; you can hunt animals with them!

I think you might be overweighting the basil - you should probably diversify into international spices, or at least other herbs.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Cicero posted:

I did, hence why I spoke for you already in my reply with the 'No?' bit.

edit: wait, "Yes." makes no sense, you already said you handled the layoffs without it impacting your life, therefore what I said doesn't apply to you.

edit2: Doing

is fine, but obviously that's not what the guy in the story did, hence why I think he's selfish.

I thought he came off as more clueless than selfish. He kept doing the same thing without shaking off an iota of his naivety over the course of his falling-down-the-up-escalator disaster of a career. It's a workable industry if you accept and plan around its realities, but this guy clearly did not.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Not a Children posted:

I thought he came off as more clueless than selfish. He kept doing the same thing without shaking off an iota of his naivety over the course of his falling-down-the-up-escalator disaster of a career. It's a workable industry if you accept and plan around its realities, but this guy clearly did not.

Pretty much this.

Cicero: maybe I misunderstood but it looked like you said working in video games is selfish. The guy is in a lovely situation because he was dumb and/or naive. I guess you could argue that's being selfish.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ohgodwhat posted:

I think you might be overweighting the basil - you should probably diversify into international spices, or at least other herbs.

Or perhaps a car and scuba diving equipment.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Cicero: maybe I misunderstood but it looked like you said working in video games is selfish.
If you let it hurt your family as much as that guy did, I think it is (granted, he sounds like an extreme example). I think it's great that you handle the periodic layoffs very well, but I'm guessing that most people don't (which your commentary seems to confirm).

edit: I agree that he sounds clueless as well, but really, if he can hold a decent white-collar job down, he should be smart enough to know better.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The Nards Pan posted:

If the whole thing goes belly up and our currency is worth nothing and we're living in Mad Max times - I don't think I'm going to give a poo poo about gold and can't imagine I'd barter any of my food or skills for metal I can't eat.

Really, those people seem to have forgotten that the value of precious metals (aside from a select few industries unlikely to survive total societal collapse) is just as arbitrary as that of the ones and zeroes on your bank's servers.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Their logic is that someone in a better position would give a poo poo about gold, or that whatever caused the economy to collapse will eventually be rebuilt so that while dollars of the former U.S. are useless gold nuggets aren't.

Really if Mad Max is any indication you should be stocking up on oil/gas or a really nice arm crossbow.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Blackjack2000 posted:

It's really easy to say "hurr, just freeze the leftovers!"

First of all, cooking a meal and then cleaning up the kitchen consumes your entire evening. In my experience, it's a hell of a lot easier to come home from work and cook dinner OR come home from work and wash dishes than it is to do both.

Second of all, everyone is focused on the cooking part, there's also the issue of keeping ingredients in the house. Do you know how many onions have sprouted shoots on my countertop? How many oranges have turned into dried up little footballs? I gave myself food poisoning once FFS. I've cooked meals and made enough for leftovers only to find myself scraping moldy poo poo out of the container 8 days later because single guys don't always get home from whatever they're doing at a reasonable hour and in a reasonable condition.

My guess is that if you paid a visit to the kitchens of most of the patronizing goons in here, you would not find a neatly organized refrigerator with labeled containers of leftovers waiting patiently to be consumed at their scheduled time. Of course, their prescriptions for single guys could just as easily be written for couples or families. After all, what's stopping mom from saving a whole bunch of money buying the Herman Munster sized ground meat at Costco, and making 16 servings worth of meat loaf that she can feed to her family four times, and repeating that seven times? Congratuations! She can now feed her family without any work for the rest of the month!

Oh yeah, because it's a loving pain in the rear end, just like it is for the single guy.

That reminds me, I saw this the other day and immediately thought of this thread.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-brings-lunch-from-home-to-cut-down-on-small-jo,37912/

I'm sorry this is so late, but JFC this is not okay.

This is not normal. Onions take like, loving months to sprout. They cost less than dirt and every recipe worth making uses them. And I've never seen an orange dry up because they are good for eating.

My wife and I eat out twice a week tops and I almost never have to eat fast food. I work ~9-10 hours a day, and she works equivalent hours while on rotating shift work. We cook and clean after ourselves all the same. It's not that loving hard.

It's not some loving gigantic dichotomy between freezing a half ton of meatloaf and doing whatever terrible with money and health thing it is you're doing. Being a grownup means that work, cooking, and cleaning are priorities over loving World of Warcraft. I leave for work at 6 am, get home around 5 pm, and then I deal with the basic loving necessities of life, like cooking, cleaning, and doing my own laundry. Amazingly, I can sometimes even accomplish two or three of these things in one day!

Giving yourself loving food poisoning is not normal.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Nibbles the Shark posted:

This is not normal. Onions take like, loving months to sprout. They cost less than dirt and every recipe worth making uses them. And I've never seen an orange dry up because they are good for eating.

My wife and I eat out twice a week tops and I almost never have to eat fast food. I work ~9-10 hours a day, and she works equivalent hours while on rotating shift work. We cook and clean after ourselves all the same. It's not that loving hard.

It's not some loving gigantic dichotomy between freezing a half ton of meatloaf and doing whatever terrible with money and health thing it is you're doing. Being a grownup means that work, cooking, and cleaning are priorities over loving World of Warcraft. I leave for work at 6 am, get home around 5 pm, and then I deal with the basic loving necessities of life, like cooking, cleaning, and doing my own laundry. Amazingly, I can sometimes even accomplish two or three of these things in one day!

Woah there, tiger. I agree for the most part. (try living in Florida. Onions sprout in days) I work 60hrs/week and still find time to cook a hot meal eveny evening. It's usually something simple like tonight we had potatoes pan fried with bacon and veggies with a egg over easy on top. It took about 25 minutes to throw together and was hearty and healthy if you're reasonable active.

However, I don't really judge people who don't. I've spent well over a decade in the food industry. Most people have never done menu planning or pricing out meals by the serving, and don't have a repertoire of hundreds of recipes committed to memory, and don't get the joy and satisfaction out of cooking that some do.

Efficient and tasty home cooking is a skill that takes time to develop. I think it's totally worth it, but not everyone can have every skill. There just aren't enough hours in the day. I save money by cooking, but I pay someone to do my graphic design for me because I decided to spend my afternoons chopping onions instead of learning photoshop. Everyone has their own value system.

Being bad with money is spending large amounts of resources on things that yield disproportionate amounts of value. Most often we see this manifested in situations where someone will sacrifice their future happiness for a brief thrill. (buying a truck is quite the dopamine hit) For a lot of people, eating out ends up being a really big sacrifice to their future, but they are addicted to it and make all sorts of excuses to justify their behavior. They should probably at least familiarize themselves with Marie Calendar's offerings if they are dead set on not learning to cook (oh god, so much sodium), but for other folks, cooking on a daily basis just doesn't make sense.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

but for other folks, cooking on a daily basis just doesn't make sense.

Bullshit. They are either lazy or retarded and need to learn to like eating like adults.

This poo poo isn't hard. It takes a half hour max to chop up a week's worth of stir fry vegetables and meat and put them in containers. I get home, I throw a handful from each container in a pan, pour on a sauce I like, and in 15 min I have hot food that isn't going to break me or put me in an early grave. And it's GOOD.

Or hmm, if I cook 1 chicken breast it makes just as much sense to cook as many as will fit in the pan. So I eat one that night however I like, put the rest in the fridge, and I can think of 4 ways right now to finish that off in the next 2-4 days that are all 1. different from each other and 2. Prepared in under 10 min.

Yeah, roasting a loving chicken, whipping potatoes, and crafting a 16 ingredient side salad every weeknight doesn't make sense for most people. But don't pretend like cooking food and eating like an adult is some monumental undertaking. Granted, it's a lot harder to do if you insist on eating nothing but fish sticks and tater tots, vegetables definitely make it a much nicer deal, but it's not remotely difficult.

If someone's going to make the case that it's cheaper for a single person to eat out than cook, they had better live in Vietnam or be using the McDouble as their argument, not a goddamn 8 dollar lettuce sandwich.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

NancyPants posted:

If someone's going to make the case that it's cheaper for a single person to eat out than cook, they had better live in Vietnam or be using the McDouble as their argument, not a goddamn 8 dollar lettuce sandwich.

It's cheaper for me to eat out than to cook, but I work at a cafe and get food at cost :v:

I actually really miss taking bagged lunches, because I love cooking and eating good food, and needing to heavily plan your meals around using up fresh produce before it rots is both monotonous and stressful.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NancyPants posted:

This poo poo isn't hard. It takes a half hour max to chop up a week's worth of stir fry vegetables and meat and put them in containers. I get home, I throw a handful from each container in a pan, pour on a sauce I like, and in 15 min I have hot food that isn't going to break me or put me in an early grave. And it's GOOD.
It takes you that long? Just get one of these already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs

quote:

Or hmm, if I cook 1 chicken breast it makes just as much sense to cook as many as will fit in the pan. So I eat one that night however I like, put the rest in the fridge, and I can think of 4 ways right now to finish that off in the next 2-4 days that are all 1. different from each other and 2. Prepared in under 10 min.
Can you really get a good sear on a pan stuffed with breasts? I want your stove top power badly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You don't need to spend a decade as a chef to know you shouldn't give yourself food poisoning from eating ancient moldy poo poo because "lol bachelor what else am I gonna do."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

baquerd posted:

It takes you that long? Just get one of these already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs

Can you really get a good sear on a pan stuffed with breasts? I want your stove top power badly.

Batch breasts get cooked in the oven on cast iron, so yes. There's no loving reason to eat plain chicken unless it's been cooked over an open flame. Put some kind of sauce on it. That's 30-40 minutes I can spend doing other things that aren't cooking while they bake, or prepping the rest of the meal(s), cleaning up prep dishes, etc. Doing it that way is my perfect balance of batch cooking and not eating the same goddamn thing all the time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Get a slow cooker.

Throw random meat, random vegetables, and random liquid in before you leave to work.

Come home from work to fully cooked meal.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Boot and Rally posted:

Forgot I was posting in the derails megathread so everyone is just looking for an excuse.

lmao at the new thread title

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Nibbles the Shark posted:

:jerkbag:

Yeah, anyone who doesn't live just like you must be a manchild sperglord who goes home with a bag of Five Guys and spends their evening greasing up their keyboards with an MMORPG.

As someone who actually does work 9-10 hours a day, I'm guessing that you're either exaggerating or you're working a job that doesn't demand that much focus. I've never seen someone work an intense 9-10 hours and then go home and cook themselves dinner from scratch.

Believe it or not, some people also just don't like cooking. I've had many evenings where dinner was a peanut butter and honey sandwich and a glass of milk. Cereal, trail mix, scrambled eggs. You get the idea. But I guess I'm not a grownup because every dish I make doesn't begin with a roux.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Blackjack2000 posted:

But I guess I'm not a grownup because every dish I make doesn't begin with a roux.

Rouxby Tuesdays?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Blackjack2000 posted:

Yeah, anyone who doesn't live just like you must be a manchild sperglord who goes home with a bag of Five Guys and spends their evening greasing up their keyboards with an MMORPG.

As someone who actually does work 9-10 hours a day, I'm guessing that you're either exaggerating or you're working a job that doesn't demand that much focus. I've never seen someone work an intense 9-10 hours and then go home and cook themselves dinner from scratch.

Believe it or not, some people also just don't like cooking. I've had many evenings where dinner was a peanut butter and honey sandwich and a glass of milk. Cereal, trail mix, scrambled eggs. You get the idea. But I guess I'm not a grownup because every dish I make doesn't begin with a roux.

Until recently my routine was seven ten-twelve hour shifts in a row (EDIT: A routine that apparently killed my ability to do math. Fixed now.). I still cooked, because I'm a functional human being who likes eating healthily and cheaply and I don't want to become another obese American shoveling chipotle down his gullet with a shovel three nights a week.

Don't act like the expectation of basic human survival skills is some great horror (A roux! My stars!) because honestly, doing so does make you sound like a manchild. No one expects you to get home and make a roux. See that post from that dude about stir fry? That's how real people cook. It's fast and it's good and it can be done in literally the same time frame in which you can make scrambled eggs. You can even use store-bought sauce until you get bored with it. You can also use a slow cooker like another dude said. Or you can make chili, perhaps one of the easiest foods in the world to make taste good.

It's all low cost, low time investment stuff and you can pretend otherwise but you're not fooling anyone but yourself.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 13, 2015

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Blackjack2000 posted:

I'm an emergency MD that works 11 hour shifts and I come home and cook a meal nearly every day of the week.

I get it. It's tough especially if you're new to cooking. It takes quite a bit of concentration whenever I learn a new recipe. But that's why its essential to give yourself the ability to cook 5-6 recipes without thinking. It takes practice like exercise. And just like exercise It's good for your wallet and your health to learn.

Seriously the initial obstacle of learning cooking is worth the effort to overcome.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

why do people gert so weird about cooking habits. are you all like this in real life?!?!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

why do people gert so weird about cooking habits. are you all like this in real life?!?!

I don't know about you, but when I see that the random cooking habits of online people that I'll never meet in real life are different than mine, I GET REALLY UPSET.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

opus111 posted:

Uh, this entire thread is people ignoring the hilarious bad with money stories and getting really defensive/judgemental about some inane lifestyle choices.

**Someone posts story about some clown spending way too much money. Goons point and laugh at the person in story. Another goon comes to the rescue and says, "well it's not that bad, I do it this way and it totally is normal." Goons tell them they are idiots. A few more goons come to the rescue while others tell them they are retarded. And that why this is the derail thread.

There are about a dozen boring lifestyle derails that this thread cycles through. Learn to ignore them and you can read a few funny stories every once in a while.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Reddit to the rescue!

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2vovxr/owe_money_to_the_irs_for_a_job_my_ex_husband_was/ posted:

When my ex husband lost his call center job in 2011 we needed to pay rent and a friend offered to get him a job throwing newspapers. Because he didn't have a valid drivers license, we put the job in my name (contract job, income was as self employed) and he just did the work while I delivered pizzas.
Well at the end of 2012 our relationship was falling apart etc etc and I kept urging him to put the route in his name, and eventually he did, in July 2013 (as I found out later) . I was under the assumption that he had done this before 2013 rolled over so I was not responsible for taxes from that job. I never received a 1099 from them so I went on believing that I had no income reported for that job for the year and filed just my pizza job and that was it. Well today I received a letter stating that I owe $3,200 in back taxes for $11,000 income made in my name in 2013. So what can I do? I've moved on, haven't talked to him since the divorce and don't have the money to pay this. What are my options? I'm so freaked out and don't know what to do. Thanks for any help you can give :)
Eta: my ex has a terrible driving record and I think his license was suspended more often than it was valid during our relationship

"I committed employment fraud, help me get out of my tax liability!"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Reddit to the rescue!

"I committed employment fraud, help me get out of my tax liability!"

Yeah but realistically which is more expensive, paying fines or back taxes?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

NancyPants posted:

Yeah but realistically which is more expensive, paying fines or back taxes?

Option C, avoiding the former until you get nailed for being unable to pay the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We plan our meals for the week, that way when you get home in zombie mode from work you just check the meal board and make what it says - no thinking. Most of our meals are fairly straight forward and take less time from start to finish than going out to grab fast food.

Once a week I make all my lunches and breakfasts in advance and put them in tupperware containers so I don't have to deal with any of that during the week. This is just a really easy way to save time and money.

• Locked thread