Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

This is important.

John the Baptist supremacy :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

John the Baptist supremacy :colbert:

John was preparing the way.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

John was preparing the way.

Yeah that's what they cobbled together after the fact because they were too ashamed to usher in John's communism.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
They set set up their own communism complete with a death penalty for tax evasion.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rhjamiz posted:

We are as God made us, so he only has himself to blame.

Definitely, but he prob forgave himself while he was up on that cross, so it's all good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Lol, imagine the guy next to you trying to be totally chill and at peace and like talking about "impermanence" and detachment while you're in eternal flame.
Yeah, it'd get God so mad. He's beat the system! Basically, the ultimate troll. Unless God's going to assume direct control in order to make sure the guy suffers, and that kind of spoils the entire game, doesn't it?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you needed more evidence that establishment religions exist to perpetuate human misery and serve the lower forces, here it is.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you can't feed your children, that makes you a terrible parent. If you choose not to have children because you can't feed them, you're selfish. :downs:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

McDowell posted:

If you needed more evidence that establishment religions exist to perpetuate human misery and serve the lower forces, here it is.
Well, Francis, I'd say it's the other way around: people don't have children so much because of being in an economically depressed and hostile environment. Focus on that one and I think you'll get more babbies soon enough.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ah crikey if he had just keeled over a couple of months ago, everything would be great.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

Yeah, it'd get God so mad. He's beat the system! Basically, the ultimate troll. Unless God's going to assume direct control in order to make sure the guy suffers, and that kind of spoils the entire game, doesn't it?

Nope, because the dude didn't think it out. He was relying too much on his Buddhist atheistic conception of the world, in which life is impermanent. But in reality, he's stuck in the flame forever, so believing in "impermanence" is just wrong, and it won't work out. There'll be some point, maybe a trillion years down the line, where the guy snaps. And he's gonna snap hard!

Miltank posted:

They set set up their own communism complete with a death penalty for tax evasion.

No :colbert: it was a voluntarist familial community and the reason Ananias & Sapphira got in trouble was because they lied to the Holy Spirit and claimed they gave the whole enchilada when they didn't. Also God killed them not the people.

McDowell posted:

Just to clarify common misconceptions, this is criticizing the practice of being a couple but not having children. Celibacy is still supreme.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

Nope, because the dude didn't think it out. He was relying too much on his Buddhist atheistic conception of the world, in which life is impermanent. But in reality, he's stuck in the flame forever, so believing in "impermanence" is just wrong, and it won't work out. There'll be some point, maybe a trillion years down the line, where the guy snaps. And he's gonna snap hard!
Ah, but if he's in your Hell, he knows you're watching. Perhaps he won't give you the satisfaction...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, go! Full-on hellfire celebration mode! PRAISE MOLOCH :getin:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

Celibacy is still supreme.

But only the 'elite' are expected to practice it, and they fail often (why not make chemical castration an option?)

Why doesn't the church promote celibacy for everyone? There's nothing wrong with two people supporting each other without reproduction.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

McDowell posted:

But only the 'elite' are expected to practice it, and they fail often (why not make chemical castration an option?)

Why doesn't the church promote celibacy for everyone? There's nothing wrong with two people supporting each other without reproduction.
It would seem to be a sensible thing, since apparently there will be 'few Christians left' when Jesus comes back. Therefore, anything which peacefully reduces the number of Christians, such as ceasing missionary efforts and engaging in mass celibacy, would be positive for all human beings involved. However, temporal authorities wanted large populations for military and economic power, and I think it's safe to say that in the history of Christianity, temporal power has usually won.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It was a rhetorical question - like I said, the Pope's statement backs up my argument that Christ's original message has been distorted over time. Planet Earth about to be recycled.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 13, 2015

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

McDowell posted:

Anyone can opt to be celibate, which is ideal. But you're not allowed to be in a relationship that doesn't involve getting married and trying to have kids.

Physical castration is discouraged.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

drat, you're right. I mean you remember that time Christianity implemented that in a meaningful way?

What? You neither? Well gently caress.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 13, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Anyone can opt to be celibate, which is ideal. But you're not allowed to be in a relationship that doesn't involve getting married and trying to have kids.

He who can receive it, let him receive it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kyrie eleison posted:

So all I gotta do is find a woman who's naturally barren and then I can gently caress all I want, never have kids, and the Pope can't get upset about it! God I love loopholes.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Twelve by Pies posted:

So all I gotta do is find a woman who's naturally barren and then I can gently caress all I want, never have kids, and the Pope can't get upset about it! God I love loopholes.

Until God blesses you with a miraculous child. Sorry he's thought of everything

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm going to go ahead and say the odds of that happening are pretty much equal to the amount of times God has miraculously healed amputees.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So, God still hasn't given me back that 200 I gave him, and I want it back. I don't know of any means to make a formal complaint to God besides praying, and that didn't work, so yeah, that 200 dollars please God. Come on dude.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It apparently happened to Rachel. She died because of it though, and deserved it because she was an evil lying vagina-haver.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 13, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

They would be, if they thought through their ideology fully and didn't just have lingering sentiments from childhood which slowly get worn away by the years. It certainly encourages that sort of mentality at every turn.

Nihilism doesn't preclude the belief in meaningful action, it just tells you there isn't any inherent in the world.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Miltank posted:

Popery is mighty wicked.

hey they've made some progress in the past couple thousand years. nowadays the popes aren't the ones raping women and children themselves, they outsource it to lower church officials to keep the heat off them

either that or they've learned the trick is to not allow any survivors to escape papal child sex dungeon

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
The most interesting thing in this thread isn't the debate, but you, Kyrie eleison. You're practically a case study in how belief systems persist in the era of rationality.

It's a rough world and you can't be blamed for retreating to the comfort of religion. I just fear that you (and those like you) have chosen a risky path. You're beset on all sides by doubters, who can assail your dogma almost effortlessly while you've had to design a whole system of mental gymnastics to keep yourself afloat.

If the floor ever falls out from underneath you, and I hope it doesn't, I recommend you throw yourself at the sciences as hard as you can. There is true and lasting joy in knowing that you, once a collection of undifferentiated matter, briefly have the privilege to ponder your own existence and find your own purpose.

There's a really amazing universe out there, if you can look up from those two ancient books.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
the stupidest person in this thread isn't kyrie, it's anyone who thinks he's for real

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
I was thinking just now about quiet reflection. I was enjoying a simple meal, some minestrone with bread and butter. As is my custom, I gave a nice long prayer before my dinner meal. I am always shocked at how these prayers can adjust my mindset and completely change my views on things. Namely, when I find myself listing my sins, listing what I'm grateful for, and who I want to pray for -- it's like everything completely comes to light. Whoever I had something against, it fades away as I pray for their well being. Whatever complaints I had about my life disappear as I recount my blessings and see just how good I have it. And however haughty I have been, my sins all laid before me, reminds me just how fortunate I am that God puts up with me.

Sometimes, we need to spend some extended time with God in periods of self-criticism. It is good to go home, skip dinner and fast, to lie in bed and to just think and pray. Go over your fears one by one; remember that the only meaningful fear is the fear of God himself.

It is in these moments of mental and spiritual difficulty, the poverty of spirit, that atheists are really at a loss. They cannot commune with God, so instead they commune with the abyss; and the abyss tells them, "everything is meaningless; your life is horrible; you will never be forgiven or understood; the rest of your life will be pain and struggle; you will always be lonely no matter who you are around" and so on. This is hardly a comforting voice, nor a constructive one.

Next time you find yourself in absolute misery, or if not that, just contemplative, think about prayer. You might be surprised how effectively it works to mold your mind in a constructive direction, and relieve your anxieties.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What are your sins kyrie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

It is in these moments of mental and spiritual difficulty, the poverty of spirit, that atheists are really at a loss. They cannot commune with God, so instead they commune with the abyss; and the abyss tells them, "everything is meaningless; your life is horrible; you will never be forgiven or understood; the rest of your life will be pain and struggle; you will always be lonely no matter who you are around" and so on. This is hardly a comforting voice, nor a constructive one.
Why do you assume atheists will universally stare into a nihilistic void instead of, say, having a moment of thoughtful meditation to a similar result as you?

Like I think your axioms here do not accord with evidence, son (even if there is nothing wrong imo with prayer or meditation what so ever)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Kyrie eleison posted:

This is so passive-aggressive and insidious, I love it

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

Why do you assume atheists will universally stare into a nihilistic void instead of, say, having a moment of thoughtful meditation to a similar result as you?

Like I think your axioms here do not accord with evidence, son (even if there is nothing wrong imo with prayer or meditation what so ever)

I think there are three possible ways of responding to feelings of anxiety and/or depression (which are, of course, universal).

1. Reveling in it, which is to say, the abyss; going as far into the depths of misery as you can, burrowing a little hole into darkness and making a home there. Dragging your spirit down as far and as fully as possible, to punish yourself, to send yourself to a sort of personal Hell.

2. Distracting yourself from it. Getting drunk, getting lost in some fantasy, or just simply putting it out of your mind for as long as possible, which means you fail to confront critical problems until it is too late and they are blowing up in your face and causing real damage.

3. Prayer to God, which helps you to confront all of your anxieties and sublimate them; He gives you the truth of the situation; He reminds you not to worry and to find peace in him; He restores your love of life and your love of people, and inspires you to change, He grants you motivation and strength. And thereby you can go on the next day, fully aware of reality but with a positive outlook on it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

I think there are three possible ways of responding to feelings of anxiety and/or depression (which are, of course, universal).

1. Reveling in it, which is to say, the abyss; going as far into the depths of misery as you can, burrowing a little hole into darkness and making a home there. Dragging your spirit down as far and as fully as possible, to punish yourself, to send yourself to a sort of personal Hell.

2. Distracting yourself from it. Getting drunk, getting lost in some fantasy, or just simply putting it out of your mind for as long as possible, which means you fail to confront critical problems until it is too late and they are blowing up in your face and causing real damage.

3. Prayer to God, which helps you to confront all of your anxieties and sublimate them; He gives you the truth of the situation; He reminds you not to worry and to find peace in him; He restores your love of life and your love of people, and inspires you to change, He grants you motivation and strength. And thereby you can go on the next day, fully aware of reality but with a positive outlook on it.

There is also

4) Accepting the truth that your life does have great meaning, but that that meaning comes from both yourself and your peers. Which is a lot like your #3 except that it stems from people that actually exist rather than a platonic ideal.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Who What Now posted:

There is also

4) Accepting the truth that your life does have great meaning, but that that meaning comes from both yourself and your peers. Which is a lot like your #3 except that it stems from people that actually exist rather than a platonic ideal.

Your peers are fickle, their opinion comes and goes. In Job, and throughout the Psalms, we are reminded of the fragile nature of loyalty. Who puts their trust into the judgment of another person? Or an amorphous Other. Someone who will turn on you in the moment of truth. It is true, a good friend is better than gold, and to be cherished. But my peers -- woe to anyone who determines his value by his peers! For he is clay to be molded by them and used for foolish purposes. They all mold one another, so anxious are they to please, into something arbitrary and ridiculous. No; stick with God and do not worry about your peers. Love your peers, and do not offend them, and be friendly to them, yes. But do not concern yourself with their judgment, which is irrelevant. Concern yourself with the judgment of God.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Your peers are fickle, their opinion comes and goes. In Job, and throughout the Psalms, we are reminded of the fragile nature of loyalty. Who puts their trust into the judgment of another person? Or an amorphous Other. Someone who will turn on you in the moment of truth. It is true, a good friend is better than gold, and to be cherished. But my peers -- woe to anyone who determines his value by his peers! For he is clay to be molded by them and used for foolish purposes. They all mold one another, so anxious are they to please, into something arbitrary and ridiculous. No; stick with God and do not worry about your peers. Love your peers, and do not offend them, and be friendly to them, yes. But do not concern yourself with their judgment, which is irrelevant. Concern yourself with the judgment of God.
Sounds like you've got bad friends or trust issues. Do you need God to love yourself?

Kyrie eleison posted:

But what about those guys that flagellate themselves in the name of God?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

Well that doesn't sound unreasonable. I guess the next one will probably involve some kind of constructive

quote:

Oh no it's the old Catholic educational trick of "here are some really bad things, and here is the Catholic thing."

Let's also not overlook the role of medical treatment for anxiety and depression that is more than occasional, of course. Or are those just signs of weak will or latent Protestantism?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Sounds like you've got bad friends or trust issues. Do you need God to love yourself?

And have your never had a bad friend, or do you trust everyone? The former is universal, and the second is foolish. Who is worthy of trust? Someone you have just met? Or someone whose character has been put through the test of time? Someone who has seen all of the hidden elements of you, the embarrassing parts you hide from new people. Many people will not make the cut. People are not all compatible with one another. People always reveal their true nature eventually.

quote:

But what about those guys that flagellate themselves in the name of God?

Some fear before God, and some self-hatred even, is good and healthy. But it cannot be all-consuming, it must come and then go once God is satisfied with your sacrifice and show of loyalty. A more common form of mortification of the flesh is fasting. Soon comes Lent, the annual 40 day period of self-denial and penance.

Nessus posted:

Let's also not overlook the role of medical treatment for anxiety and depression that is more than occasional, of course. Or are those just signs of weak will or latent Protestantism?

The placebos people take can certainly have an effect, so long as one believes in them, but the real cure for these problems is always going to be spiritual reflection, sacrifice, confession, almsgiving, and prayer.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

It is the nature of the atheist to always be so doubtful and ask so many annoying questions. The atheist truly is a buzzkill to God's great vibe, and will not be invited to the party that is Heaven.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

And have your never had a bad friend, or do you trust everyone? The former is universal, and the second is foolish. Who is worthy of trust? Someone you have just met? Or someone whose character has been put through the test of time? Someone who has seen all of the hidden elements of you, the embarrassing parts you hide from new people. Many people will not make the cut. People are not all compatible with one another. People always reveal their true nature eventually.
This is true, people can come and go. But you will always have yourself, until brain transplants become real (please, before I die 60 years from now).

quote:

But it cannot be all-consuming, it must come and then go once God is satisfied with your sacrifice and show of loyalty..
But what if God wants you to flagellate yourself all the time?

quote:

The placebos people take can certainly have an effect, so long as one believes in them, but the real cure for these problems is always going to be spiritual reflection, sacrifice, confession, almsgiving, and prayer.
Medical treatments for psychological problems are placebos? I forget, do you worship God or Xenu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

Don't forget auditing!

e: Or the public confession of faith in Muhammad (pbuh) and the hajj.

• Locked thread