Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
instead of redesigning everything to make sense, they just overlaid antriebsstrang.stl with allradantrieb.stl and then moved stuff around until none of the vertices intersected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I mean, Honda and Toyota seem to have figured out how to make a front suspension that doesn't involve CV shafts going through coil springs, but that's not German enough.

And yeah, the oil pan isn't the worst of sins. I mean, I'd prefer to see a setup like every IFS chevy/dodge/ford pickup uses, but those do tend to be... truck-height drivetrain options. And either way the oil pan is a bastard to replace (for instance on Rangers, everyone recommends just pulling the engine, or at least raising it several inches) so I'm not sure that it really matters.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My friend has a 235i in this color, but it doesn't look like this one

"OEM Plus" widebody M235i by IND

:captainpop:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

dreesemonkey posted:

goddamn. the attention to detail on the interior is amazing. that color matched stitching on the door cards :allears:

those three piece two tone wheels are gorgeous too.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I need way more info on this particular W124.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That M235i looks cool but its sad to see it with only two pedals

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GramCracker posted:

I need way more info on this particular W124.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Loafers are the pro-est of driving shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM

Yawp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

That M235i looks cool but its sad to see it with only two pedals

The 8AT is fantastic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every time I drive a modern DCT or tiptronic car I think 'wow this is really pretty great!' and then I drive some shitbox with an actual manual and I realise cars are garbage now. They're relying on you forgetting how fun three pedals are and then lulling yourself into the false belief that a sophisticated auto or paddleshift is just as good.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's like once of those Japanese cartoon girls dressing up to be something she's not.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's like once of those Japanese cartoon girls dressing up to be something she's not.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

Every time I drive a modern DCT or tiptronic car I think 'wow this is really pretty great!' and then I drive some shitbox with an actual manual and I realise cars are garbage now. They're relying on you forgetting how fun three pedals are and then lulling yourself into the false belief that a sophisticated auto or paddleshift is just as good.

It's impossible for me to agree more with this

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQHvMU6a0uA

e: posted wrong thing

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I need a print of this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

It's impossible for me to agree more with this
I see this:

And I think "don't run over/into any small poo poo you can't see, don't get a ticket, don't scuff anything, look through the portholes not at the buttons and displays"

I see this:

And I get irrationally excited. Tacho, temp, fuel, speed.

Image quality contrast intentional.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My friend has a 6-speed and at least at the time when he got it, you had to specifically order one with a manual, otherwise they were all the auto. That could have been because that was when they were first released though maybe.

His wife has a 335ix with the 8spd and it is a nice gearbox, but yea, manual is the way to go even though it's slower.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

oh, go handle your rods in private

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

How do I get this as an avatar?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Linedance posted:

How do I get this as an avatar?

Pester Lowtax until he allows 15MB avatars, I guess.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

The 8AT is fantastic.

That's good to hear, but no matter how fantastic it is: it's still not a manual.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I mean, Honda and Toyota seem to have figured out how to make a front suspension that doesn't involve CV shafts going through coil springs, but that's not German enough.

It would be comically funny as taking a 80s camry and making it rwd. The w124 wasnt designed around front drive, and it was seriously hacked in last minute. the w210 was much better.

Having owned a 320TE, it was one of the best drat cars I ever owned. Bought it not running for $900 in Atlanta. 3 days later I drove it to Los Angeles and back. on the trip back it popped the head in Arkansas. Made it home anyway. put a new head gasket on it, and a customer is still tooling around in it 2 years later.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

dreesemonkey posted:

"OEM Plus" widebody M235i by IND

:dogbutton:
holy poo poo. The m235i is the first BMW in 15 years I'd consider buying new. (Ridiculous prices of the 1M notwithstanding)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SuperDucky posted:

:dogbutton:
holy poo poo. The m235i is the first BMW in 15 years I'd consider buying new. (Ridiculous prices of the 1M notwithstanding)
I think you get the M135i hatch in the US soon. More practically and I think they look better.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Fancy engine gifs:
http://animagraffs.com/how-a-car-engine-works/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

BraveUlysses posted:

That's good to hear, but no matter how fantastic it is: it's still not a manual.

Go drive a 15MY Vanquish with that same ZF 8spd auto and then tell me that car would be better served with a 6spd manual.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

corn in the fridge posted:

Go drive a 15MY Vanquish with that same ZF 8spd auto and then tell me that car would be better served with a 6spd manual.

I think it's more what the driver gets out of the car. A manual provides a driver with greater control, as he is directly dictating the ratio between the crankshaft and the wheels. Some people don't care at all about that, and some people take great pride and pleasure in that. The people that enjoy the amount of control that provides would absolutely prefer the six-speed manual, even if the automatic is faster, intuitive and wipes your butt for you as you drive.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

CornHolio posted:

I think it's more what the driver gets out of the car. A manual provides a driver with greater control, as he is directly dictating the ratio between the crankshaft and the wheels. Some people don't care at all about that, and some people take great pride and pleasure in that. The people that enjoy the amount of control that provides would absolutely prefer the six-speed manual, even if the automatic is faster, intuitive and wipes your butt for you as you drive.

Lol you can do the same in the Vanquish.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lol you can do the same in the Vanquish.

Are you limited to doing it sequentially? Or can you go from sixth to third directly, for instance?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

CornHolio posted:

Are you limited to doing it sequentially? Or can you go from sixth to third directly, for instance?

Yes you can do block shifting by holding down the downshift paddle.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yes you can do block shifting by holding down the downshift paddle.

So if I want to shift to a particular gear, I hold the lever down for a particular amount of time, hoping that I don't fall short or overshoot the single gear I'm aiming for, out of seven possible gears...

My personal preference would be to say "gently caress that poo poo." Granted, I'm not the targeted market for Aston Martin, but still, I would refuse to purchase that automobile given the amount of real traditional manual transmission automobiles still on the market in that segment.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

CornHolio posted:

So if I want to shift to a particular gear, I hold the lever down for a particular amount of time, hoping that I don't fall short or overshoot the single gear I'm aiming for, out of seven possible gears...

My personal preference would be to say "gently caress that poo poo." Granted, I'm not the targeted market for Aston Martin, but still, I would refuse to purchase that automobile given the amount of real traditional manual transmission automobiles still on the market in that segment.

It will select the lowest possible gear without overreving the engine. If you are braking and still holding the paddle it will continue to downshift as vehicle speed allows. If you only want to drop 2 gears you just double tap the paddle.

Also what cars come with a manual today in the £200,000+ segment??

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sheep, man. Assholes, all of them.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
My problem, even when you consider that the new autos perform better and are more efficient (both in terms of drivetrain losses and more ratios) is not just the lack of a third pedal and knob, but autos don't engine brake either. I love that part of the manual trans, it really cements the feeling that your feet control the whole drivetrain. Plus it's great for controlling speed, obviously.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Also what cars come with a manual today in the £200,000+ segment??

According to the googles, that's $300,000+ in real-world units and now that I think about it I have no idea. :smith:

Although thankfully in all the segments I can actually afford, the manual transmission is alive and well and as long as I don't win the lottery I guess I have nothing to worry about.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 13, 2015

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Neptr posted:

My problem, even when you consider that the new autos perform better and are more efficient (both in terms of drivetrain losses and more ratios) is not just the lack of a third pedal and knob, but autos don't engine brake either. I love that part of the manual trans, it really cements the feeling that your feet control the whole drivetrain. Plus it's great for controlling speed, obviously.

Every auto I've ever driven can engine break if you manually select gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sadi posted:

Every auto I've ever driven can engine break if you manually select gears.

Yeah, that's another concern of mine :v: