Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

I've always justified it that a closed fist is "eye rake" illegal, not "steel chair shot" illegal. If you hit non-stop closed fists you'll get DQ'd, but one will just get you a warning.

now i want to see non stop eye rakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dromal phrenia posted:

now i want to see non stop eye rakes

I hear the Network has a lot of Hogan matches.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hear the Network has a lot of Hogan matches.

He said non-stop eye rakes, not alternating eye rakes, back rakes and torn-shirt chokes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Closed fists were quietly legalized several years ago, according to a WWE.com article. Of course it's debatable how "canon" that source would be, since the website seems to do its own thing most of the time. Joey Styles probably just made it up to keep from getting an aneurysm during Big Show Push #87.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perry Normal posted:

He said non-stop eye rakes, not alternating eye rakes, back rakes and torn-shirt chokes.

Wow, this Ho Gan dude sounds like a hell of a heel!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jesse Ventura was right all along.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Jesse Ventura was right all along.

I did like that about Ventura and Heenan. Some guys, they'd flip on when they turned, because they 'were suckin' up to the humanoids' or had 'found a killer instinct', but they just HATED Hogan, heel or face, cheating or not.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

gently caress it, stick Brock in the triple cage and just send the entire roster in, one at a time, for him to murder.

That w po uld be the best selling Wrestlemania of all time.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Since every post I make in these threads is about how WWE is awful and everyone should watch NJPW and actively stop watching WWE (all true statements), I wanted to take a moment and say something positive about the current state of WWE.

After almost completely wasting Brock Lesnar when he came back, the way they have fully turned him into one of the most unstoppable monsters in wrestling history is really great. Having Brock German Cena to death was the smartest thing the WWE has done since MITB 2011.

I had completely stopped watching WWE during Brock's first run so I only came to know him during his UFC times, but ever since his match with Punk at Summerslam '13 and now his run as an unstoppable monster champion, I really appreciate what he does. I hope he sticks around because he and everything involving him have been one of the very, very few things worth watching on WWE programming.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In the fighting game that is wrestling, Brock is the SNK Boss with three life meters, a cheap move he'll spam at you forever and he'll recover all his health at the last moment just to make you ragequit.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

DeathChicken posted:

In the fighting game that is wrestling, Cena is the SNK Boss with three life meters, a cheap move he'll spam at you forever and he'll recover all his health at the last moment just to make you ragequit.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My dream scenario is Reigns v. Lesnar v. Bryan at Wrestlemania. Then Brock just annihilates the other two, like it's not even close.

Just the image of Brock holding the belt in front of a crowd that has become dead silent, because they have all simultaneously realized there is no hope in the world.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blast Fantasto posted:

My dream scenario is Reigns v. Lesnar v. Bryan at Wrestlemania. Then Brock just annihilates the other two, like it's not even close.

Just the image of Brock holding the belt in front of a crowd that has become dead silent, because they have all simultaneously realized there is no hope in the world.

As long as we are fantasy booking: Lesnar murders everyone, leaves with the belt, technically vacating it (so we can get a tournament because those are cool). Then WWE makes a very limited contract with Lesnar and he becomes the new Undertaker so the old Undertaker can rest in peace. Again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Bryan Alvarez sitting at home screaming,"SEND FINN BALOR OUT TO SQUASH HIM!"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
has the WWE ever had a cool tournament

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Deadly Games, kinda?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan Alvarez sitting at home screaming,"SEND FINN BALOR OUT TO SQUASH HIM!"
I think Balor could legitimately stand up against anyone on the main WWE roster now except Lesnar.

He'd need help.

But who?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

I think Balor could legitimately stand up against anyone on the main WWE roster now except Lesnar.

He'd need help.

But who?

That dick pic? It's reeeeeeeeeeeeal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alain Post posted:

That one Patterson won in Puerto Rico Rio de Janeiro was like nothing you have ever seen.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Alain Post posted:

Brawl for All

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Happy Friday the 13th, everybody.

Rapadoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdc59gD4-GA

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

That one Patterson won in Puerto Rico Rio de Janeiro was like nothing you have ever seen.

:golfclap:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Deadly Games, kinda?

You should watch Survivor Series 98 again sometime because lol no

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I unironically liked the return of Duane Gill.

JR says "He's got a little video" in disdain it's great

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

I've always justified it that a closed fist is "eye rake" illegal, not "steel chair shot" illegal. If you hit non-stop closed fists you'll get DQ'd, but one will just get you a warning.

Now explain why you normally get a 5-count before a DQ, but get a 10-count if you have the guy in the corner and are standing on the first rope throwing punches.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here's an interesting thing that's ~not~ from that metsfan guy. Bryan said during his review of the NXT special that he got a message from a WWE guy talking about how main roster guys are getting unhappy that they have to be "entertaining" on TV while the NXT guys can just go out and wrestle. They're not mad at anyone in particular, they're unhappy that they don't get to show what they can do on WWE TV while people in developmental get to put on 4-star matches every week. Particularly the women wrestlers are angry that their TV matches are 2-minute rollupfests while womens' matches on NXT will be co-main events and get plenty of time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Alain Post posted:

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Sono posted:

Now explain why you normally get a 5-count before a DQ, but get a 10-count if you have the guy in the corner and are standing on the first rope throwing punches.

The ref counts at a different speed than the guy punches at.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Why did Truth and Kofi win when they did? That seems stupid.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here's an interesting thing that's ~not~ from that metsfan guy. Bryan said during his review of the NXT special that he got a message from a WWE guy talking about how main roster guys are getting unhappy that they have to be "entertaining" on TV while the NXT guys can just go out and wrestle. They're not mad at anyone in particular, they're unhappy that they don't get to show what they can do on WWE TV while people in developmental get to put on 4-star matches every week. Particularly the women wrestlers are angry that their TV matches are 2-minute rollupfests while womens' matches on NXT will be co-main events and get plenty of time.

Well it's a legitimate grievance to me, alas old man Vince won't allow a 10+ minute woman's match on Raw anytime soon, barring the second coming of Trish and Lita.

Also, a kind reminder for those that don't know that Trish and Lita main evented a Raw once. Better times.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Bring back KING OF THE RING. I want to see Ryback affect a british accent and carry around a scepter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Well it's a legitimate grievance to me, alas old man Vince won't allow a 10+ minute woman's match on Raw anytime soon, barring the second coming of Trish and Lita.

Also, a kind reminder for those that don't know that Trish and Lita main evented a Raw once. Better times.

They HAVE the second coming, in Charlotte, assuming Dunn doesn't poison the well because she doesn't look like a Playmate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

While I like the big dumb theatricality of the main events, it would be cool if they could combine that with somewhat more NXT-style actual wrestling, myself. I imagine this will come in 2032, when VinceBorg is finally put down by HHHJAM1137.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't get how you have Kidd/Cesaro beat the Usos on Monday and then don't include them in a match featuring the whole tag division on the next show.

Though I guess New Day and the Dusts weren't there either, so they actually do have quite a few tag teams (at least 8), now if only they gave a poo poo about the division.

Gaz-L posted:

Dustin's kicking the turnbuckle, not the groin. Same reason the 'drop toe hold one guy into headbutting the other dude's junk' isn't a DQ.

You can throw a guy into the steel steps, but you can't pick up and hit a guy with the steel steps. Same logic. (lol logic in wrestling)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

They're not mad at anyone in particular, they're unhappy that they don't get to show what they can do on WWE TV while people in developmental get to put on 4-star matches every week.

ROH TV is really good. Nice to know there's eyes on it backstage

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Red posted:

To be fair, The Megapowers ran through Demolition, Powers of Pain, Mega Bucks, Twin Towers, and Hart Foundation in like 15 minutes that one time on Saturday Night's Main Event.

No, they didn't, because that would've been stupid.

Daniel Bryan was the tag team champions prior to the shield, so it makes for him to still be the dominant tag team in the WWE

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Why did Truth and Kofi win when they did? That seems stupid.

R-Truth was being pushed as a main event person that summer, so he was actually on the upswing until Survivor Series and getting suspended. Jack Swagger was in low level bust territory after his failed world championship reign the summer before.

I don't remember why Kofi won, it was either because Del Rio's current feud lead to his lose or they wanted a Kofi surprise win like they do once every couple of years.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

While I like the big dumb theatricality of the main events, it would be cool if they could combine that with somewhat more NXT-style actual wrestling, myself. I imagine this will come in 2032, when VinceBorg is finally put down by HHHJAM1137.

NXT is a great mix between WWE main-event theatrics and indie-style spotfest. NJPW also reaches that balance quite well. Spotcite and Plotcite, if you may.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Havoc904 posted:

I don't remember why Kofi won, it was either because Del Rio's current feud lead to his lose or they wanted a Kofi surprise win like they do once every couple of years.

Del Rio had money in the bank :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dias posted:

NXT is a great mix between WWE main-event theatrics and indie-style spotfest. NJPW also reaches that balance quite well. Spotcite and Plotcite, if you may.
My only worry is that if like, Finn Balor made the transition, instead of being some dude who could feud legitimately with Bray Wyatt or something, he'd be a lovely gag jobber. That would be lame because Balor seems as good as Daniel Bryan and is significantly less goatlike.

Of course the obvious thing would be for him to team up with Sheamus. Maybe even call Sheamus a plastic paddy.

• Locked thread