Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Preechr posted:

The Delta pack, while expensive, has an excellent suite of boffs and a good doff.

Romulans get a Reman intel boff with both Superior Infiltrator & SRO, its pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Preechr posted:

The current meta requires either absurdly high impulse damage (for certain limited functions, such as PVP), a massive sustained DPS for elite STF content or speed run e-peen waving, or brutal damage-resistance debuffing. Healing and tanking have no place in the high-hull enemy dynamic. The only things dangerous to a competently-built and -flown ship are instakill bullshit that no amount of tank can withstand regardless.
This is also why tacs are king in space (lots of damage boosts that all stack with other damage boosts) and engineers are absolute poo poo (no damage improvements beyond energy management). And also why engineers will never be buffed, since your average pub is so bad at building ships they consider "don't die" as a major priority.

Why have I not just swapped to my tac romulan again? Oh right, massive sunk costs on my engy fed... :sigh:

Dootman posted:

It also reduces the recharge time on captain abilities like attack pattern alpha.
Yeah, this is the big thing about that trait. APA with a 45 second cooldown? Because god knows tac captains need more buffs! Question is I'm not sure it's worth 3000z just for that.

Mondian posted:

Romulans get a Reman intel boff with both Superior Infiltrator & SRO, its pretty fantastic.
This is the only boff worth anything in the pack though. While feds and klanks get unique traits, they're nothing worth writing home about (efficiency on a vulcan, and leadership on a klingon. Yay.)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

Yeah, this is the big thing about that trait. APA with a 45 second cooldown? Because god knows tac captains need more buffs! Question is I'm not sure it's worth 3000z just for that.

It would be for PvP, but we all know how great that's doing these days.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Its great, because you only had about a second of reaction time to pop RSP or something to avoid getting vaporized before, but now that they've slowed the UI to a crawl there's practically zero chance of surviving any attack in PvP.

Thanks, Cryptic.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Should I buy a Fleetcelsior, intel cruiser or command cruiser? I don't play much, but I have some zen squared away and have never flown a fleet or T6 ship, because I get bored too easily to grind much.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I would only recommend getting the command ships for people who cleared 1.6+ mil dil over the weekend and have nothing better to spend it on. If you're short enough on dil that you need to be careful about your ship choices or god forbid spending real money just loving ignore them. They aren't terrible they are just aggressively mediocre.

Kesper North posted:

Should I buy a Fleetcelsior, intel cruiser or command cruiser? I don't play much, but I have some zen squared away and have never flown a fleet or T6 ship, because I get bored too easily to grind much.

Intel cruiser.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Seconding the "get an Intel cruiser" thing over an Excelsior. They have very similar BOff layouts, except the Intel has an advantage in a Universal Ensign slot and a Lt. Commander Engineering slot. Also, you get a cloaking device and access to Intel skills, which means fun & useful things like Override System Safeties, Surgical Strikes and Ionic Turbulence. The advantages of the Excelsior are that sexy look :swoon:, a bunch of built in trans-warp destinations and one more Tactical console slot. And definitely stay away from the Command ships right now.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Lorak posted:

Release Notes for April 1, 2015
Added security measure to Fleet holdings: Fleet Locks!
- Fleet Locks require Fleet Authorization Keys to unlock upgrades and new T6 fleet equipment and starships.
- Fleet Authorization Keys can be bought from the C-Store for 700 Zen each, or as a four-pack for 2500 Zen.

Known Issues:
- Fleet Starbase, Embassy, Mine and Spire holdings permanently reverted to Level 0 as a result of improving fleet holdings.

are you loving kidding me?? How will NoPPS recover from this?!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Who needs traits when you can fly a roomba :colbert:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Did they do a wipe, or something? I logged in to my old account, but I don't see any of my old characters.

So I guess I'm on a new account? If anyone sees this, send an invitation to the chatroom to @fullmetalboxers, please and thankya.

You're in.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Korgan posted:

You're in.

I'm also a gigantic idiot. All my stuff was missing because my old account wasn't linked yet. Soooo, yeah, that's fixed now... :downswords:

edit - Grabulon asked me to post again. So this is me posting again, rather than doubleposting. Old account is @outcry27.

Full Metal Boxers fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 14, 2015

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I'm also a gigantic idiot. All my stuff was missing because my old account wasn't linked yet. Soooo, yeah, that's fixed now... :downswords:

edit - Grabulon asked me to post again. So this is me posting again, rather than doubleposting. Old account is @outcry27.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Cryptic's account linking procedure went to poo poo when PWE forced them to go through Arc for everything. The whole system is unintuitive as gently caress. Your old account is in.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Yeeeaahhhhh, unintuitive is putting it gently. Thanks regardless.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Ideally, you want to bring a target to -200 all resists and 0 or negative defense.

The second is doable, I imagine. Gravity Well or some such. I'm lost on how the first is at all achievable. Are you referring to a single player doing this, or a team? I realise I'm probably being really dense or something.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bloodly posted:

The second is doable, I imagine. Gravity Well or some such. I'm lost on how the first is at all achievable.

Recluse I'd imagine.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Don't buy ugly bullshit Delta ships, that is my rule.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

wdarkk posted:

Recluse I'd imagine.

Yeah, recluse, but I'm not sure you can resist cap a target with a single recluse.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeeeaahhhhh, unintuitive is putting it gently. Thanks regardless.
Pretty much every part of PWE's lovely website is unintuitive, broken, or both. It's really kind of amazing. For a while after they swapped everything over to Arc you couldn't actually transfer Zen to the game since the page that did it was on the non-arc site with the forced redirect. :geno: Even now it's like twelve different steps and the actual account balance is carefully hidden, compared to Steam where it's all of two or three clicks.

Even the Cryptic staff apparently hates dealing with it; there was some brief murmuring on twitter about by the devs about being pissed off when PWE didn't approve and submit the hype-building posts for one of the lockboxes (Xindi one I think?) before the patch actually came out, resulting in them all being dumped all at once after the fact.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Pretty much every part of PWE's lovely website is unintuitive, broken, or both. It's really kind of amazing. For a while after they swapped everything over to Arc you couldn't actually transfer Zen to the game since the page that did it was on the non-arc site with the forced redirect. :geno: Even now it's like twelve different steps and the actual account balance is carefully hidden, compared to Steam where it's all of two or three clicks.

Fortunately, they have balanced the Arc vs Steam content. Buying Zen on Steam has a chance of flagging your account, and account-binding all your Zen purchases (and their indirect proceeds, like lockbox items).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

Even the Cryptic staff apparently hates dealing with it; there was some brief murmuring on twitter about by the devs about being pissed off when PWE didn't approve and submit the hype-building posts for one of the lockboxes (Xindi one I think?) before the patch actually came out, resulting in them all being dumped all at once after the fact.

If I remember right that was the season 9 update which introduced the terrible crafting system and there was a lot of consternation because whoever the PWE guy was in charge wasn't around or something for the scheduling of promotional blog items for it so it ended up having all the blog posts released same day and hell, maybe even the day after the patch.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I wonder if some of this money squeeze is slightly induced by pwe's other properties not making much money combined with a higher than expected cost on refactoring the code to not be poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Fortunately, they have balanced the Arc vs Steam content. Buying Zen on Steam has a chance* of flagging your account, and account-binding all your Zen purchases (and their indirect proceeds, like lockbox items).
*(Chance is 100%)

Berke Negri posted:

If I remember right that was the season 9 update which introduced the terrible crafting system and there was a lot of consternation because whoever the PWE guy was in charge wasn't around or something for the scheduling of promotional blog items for it so it ended up having all the blog posts released same day and hell, maybe even the day after the patch.
The lesson to be learned from this, and which was later reinforced by Delta Rising, is that PWE apparently has Cryptic in a tight enough grip that they aren't even allowed to update the websites to their own games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

I wonder if some of this money squeeze is slightly induced by pwe's other properties not making much money combined with a higher than expected cost on refactoring the code to not be poo poo.

I'm pretty sure that what happened is; PWE looked at the money that Star Trek Online was taking in at its most profitable, just after Legacy of Romulus, and went "Yeah! We like that! Okay, now take that, and implement a bunch of our money-grabbing tactics we use in our local MMOs to bring in even more money, okay? And that's what we'll be expecting!" And instead, Delta Rising killed off a huge amount of the population, sending the rates through the floor, and PWE's enforced tactics to bring in more money haven't added anything, so PWE demands are dramatically outstripping what the game can bring in.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I suspect it's more likely that Neverwinter was 1) a success, and 2) a success despite being full of kMMO-style F2P moneysinks, so they figured this was a full go-ahead to start porting that same bullshit to STO.

While sort of forgetting that Neverwinter probably could have been a bigger success than it was if it wasn't so player-hostile, or that a lot of STO's growth was due to being "the good F2P MMO" which they've since squandered. :geno:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Who the gently caress plays Neverwinter?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

People "play" Neverwinter via the gateway, everyone in-game is either a bot, a spammer, or rping Drizzt.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mondian posted:

People "play" Neverwinter via the gateway, everyone in-game is either a bot, a spammer, or rping Drizzt.

This summary is 100% accurate.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Still makes Cryptic money somehow though, and that's all they care about. :shrug:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Mondian posted:

People "play" Neverwinter via the gateway, everyone in-game is either a bot, a spammer, or erping Drizzt.

I think this is a more probable scenario.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you walk into the Moonstone Mask tavern... yes, pretty much.

I'm not sure where they go from there to be honest. In STO they'd beam up to a bridge to continue. Maybe there are private foundry maps they use?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe they used the Moonstone Mask instead of some other random tavern. The place used to be a brothel, in the lore, and it was still filled with 'courtesans' when I played at launch. That's just asking for creepy morons.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It was used in Neverwinter Nights as a quest hub. That's about all the reason required.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I still can't believe they used the Moonstone Mask instead of some other random tavern. The place used to be a brothel, in the lore, and it was still filled with 'courtesans' when I played at launch. That's just asking for creepy morons.
They knew exactly what they were doing.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I have had an assfull of these Z-Particle prices. 650k for ten of em, the drat recipe for the upgrade components use 3 and 2 each. EACH.

edit: aaand looking at the exchange that's over 325k in materials for an item that sells for around 273k (superior cannon upgrade) gently caress this stupid game. I guess sometimes you proc out 2 of em on a craft halving the cost to build but still, I'm finding none of these costs acceptable. So to go from XIII to XIV on a turret was 12 superior upgrades, at 273k each, actually closer to 330k since I crafted them up, that was a 4 million EC upgrade. Theyll be sweet turrets when Im done but yea, don't do the math kids, it's depressing, just keep clicking and hope the EC doesnt start to run low causing you to look at costs.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 15, 2015

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Technically, Tribbles can't say No.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I have had an assfull of these Z-Particle prices. 650k for ten of em, the drat recipe for the upgrade components use 3 and 2 each. EACH.

edit: aaand looking at the exchange that's over 325k in materials for an item that sells for around 273k (superior cannon upgrade) gently caress this stupid game. I guess sometimes you proc out 2 of em on a craft halving the cost to build but still, I'm finding none of these costs acceptable. So to go from XIII to XIV on a turret was 12 superior upgrades, at 273k each, actually closer to 330k since I crafted them up, that was a 4 million EC upgrade. Theyll be sweet turrets when Im done but yea, don't do the math kids, it's depressing, just keep clicking and hope the EC doesnt start to run low causing you to look at costs.

The only thing that makes them valuable is that there's no associated dil cost, so newer players who aren't bringing in stupid amounts of dil sink EC into upgrades instead.

EDIT: So I picked up the Fed command ship bundle because I'm basically swimming Zen, and AHOD is loving amazing. I popped it on my Hazari Destroyer, which has got a decent science focus, and it was gravity well for days. I think I'm in love.

Celoth fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 15, 2015

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

So I did a silly thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Like Trinidad James, you gon have all gold everything.

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Lagomorphic posted:

So I did a silly thing.

gently caress me how much farming did that take?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Celoth posted:

gently caress me how much farming did that take?

I didn't farm that many I mostly bought traces in bulk off the exchange and sent them through the alt mill. I also deliberately saved them up for the funny screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Lagomorphic posted:

I didn't farm that many I mostly bought traces in bulk off the exchange and sent them through the alt mill. I also deliberately saved them up for the funny screenshot.

For whatever reason, I'm now even more impressed.

• Locked thread