Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

corn in the fridge posted:

Go drive a 15MY Vanquish with that same ZF 8spd auto and then tell me that car would be better served with a 6spd manual.

Now if only we could get her with four on the floor. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cursedshitbox posted:

It would be comically funny as taking a 80s camry and making it rwd. The w124 wasnt designed around front drive, and it was seriously hacked in last minute. the w210 was much better.

Having owned a 320TE, it was one of the best drat cars I ever owned. Bought it not running for $900 in Atlanta. 3 days later I drove it to Los Angeles and back. on the trip back it popped the head in Arkansas. Made it home anyway. put a new head gasket on it, and a customer is still tooling around in it 2 years later.

Good news, there was a 80s Camry that was RWD;

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Isn't the keioniseggegegegehe a manual 6 speed? It was in the original model and looked amazing. Probably still my 'dream' car.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

For better or worse, there are people that want to just firmly grip a hard stick and move it back and forth faster and faster because of the immense gratification it gives themselves.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CornHolio posted:

According to the googles, that's $300,000+ in real-world units and now that I think about it I have no idea. :smith:

Although thankfully in all the segments I can actually afford, the manual transmission is alive and well and as long as I don't win the lottery I guess I have nothing to worry about.

Even if you win the lottery you have nothing to worry about, I'm sure some maniac mechanic out there is more than willing to wedge a manual into any car you like if you shower him with the correct amount of cash.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Sadi posted:

Every auto I've ever driven can engine break if you manually select gears.

Works in the Dakota with its 4 speed auto. Since it has an overdrive disable button you can force it into whatever gear you want. 1 for first, 2 for second, D with overdrive disabled for 3rd, enable overdrive for 4th. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im fully prepared for the brigade of disagreements overthis choice but this made me laugh too much for the other thread.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

El Scotch posted:

Sheep, man. Assholes, all of them.

Couldn't dodge the ram.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Im fully prepared for the brigade of disagreements overthis choice but this made me laugh too much for the other thread.

Well I don't disagree persay, but the whole making Doctor Who jokes on any vehicle with any shade of blue paint is sort of running thin at this point.

My other car is a tardis.

Edit: I'd be impressed if someone had an "It's bigger on the inside" sticker on a blue Aveo though.

Edit: also saw this in Vegas this week, although I'm not quite sure what make it is.

Wrar posted:

That's a McLaren.

:thejoke:

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 13, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
burnout in infrared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqOrSdkSXQ

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

davebo posted:

Well I don't disagree persay, but the whole making Doctor Who jokes on any vehicle with any shade of blue paint is sort of running thin at this point.

My other car is a tardis.

Edit: I'd be impressed if someone had an "It's bigger on the inside" sticker on a blue Aveo though.

Edit: also saw this in Vegas this week, although I'm not quite sure what make it is.

That's a McLaren.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Wrar posted:

That's a McLaren.

No no, that's just a different kind of car owned by famous musician M.C. Laren.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Neptr posted:

My problem, even when you consider that the new autos perform better and are more efficient (both in terms of drivetrain losses and more ratios) is not just the lack of a third pedal and knob, but autos don't engine brake either. I love that part of the manual trans, it really cements the feeling that your feet control the whole drivetrain. Plus it's great for controlling speed, obviously.

At the start of the year I picked up a 2015 S3. This comes ONLY with a 6 speed "S-Tronic" automatic transmission. It automatically engine brakes using downshifts... more than it probably applies the actual brakes; no it doesn't need to be in super sport mode or some bullshit setting, it happens in normal "D" setting.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
High specs automatics are definitely better but they're not funner and fun is my most important metric for a car

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

High specs automatics are definitely better but they're not funner and fun is my most important metric for a car

This. It's tragic that this is even being debated in the greatest loving car forum on the internet. Manuals are more fun. Trying to justify it with babbling on about ratios and control and all that bullshit is pointless. A human being can't control a car worth a drat compared to a bunch of modules and actuators but that isn't the point of driving cars for fun.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Our lovely Fiat 500 is fun as hell thanks to being a manual. I can only imagine how boring an auto would be.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I had no idea it was from Dr Who. Only ever saw one episode and didnt care much for it.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

eyebeem posted:

Our lovely Fiat 500 is fun as hell thanks to being a manual. I can only imagine how boring an auto would be.

Even in an auto version, it still puts a smile on my face flying over bumps on the springy suspension. It's not that the car wants to kill you, it's that it wants to die together.

Unless you own one of those horrible made-for-white-women XL versions of the car or some nonsense.

I hope every single person this ad represents contracts rear end cancer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GramCracker posted:

At the start of the year I picked up a 2015 S3. This comes ONLY with a 6 speed "S-Tronic" automatic transmission. It automatically engine brakes using downshifts... more than it probably applies the actual brakes; no it doesn't need to be in super sport mode or some bullshit setting, it happens in normal "D" setting.

Yeah, it's audi's name for their slightly different version of the DSG dual clutch transmission, which I happen to like as well (have one in my JSW TDI).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Edit: replying to old rear end post in thread. whoops

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

razorscooter posted:

For better or worse, there are people that want to just firmly grip a hard stick and move it back and forth faster and faster because of the immense gratification it gives themselves.

This is the same bullshittery that leads to fake engine noises pumped into the speakers.

You can engine brake in even the cheapest auto. You can shift gear faster and more efficiently I in most autos.

Banging gears around may be rewarding, but it's distracting, leaves more opportunity for driver error destroying the car, and is the automotive equivalent of an appeal to nature.

People that think manuals are the only way are like the kid in high school who wore Pink Floyd shirts, insisting that music peaked wherever his dad's music collection stopped growing, never expanding their horizons on what could be done.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 13, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

revdrkevind posted:

Even in an auto version, it still puts a smile on my face flying over bumps on the springy suspension. It's not that the car wants to kill you, it's that it wants to die together.

Unless you own one of those horrible made-for-white-women XL versions of the car or some nonsense.

I hope every single person this ad represents contracts rear end cancer.

2013 500 Pop. Bought it used with all of 3,000 miles on it, popped the hood at the dealer and saw that it had a Mopar intake installed, and later realized that it also had a Mopar exhaust and short shifter kit. Whee.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

eyebeem posted:

While this is very true, my arguement is than in high end sports cars with highly tuned suspensions, powerful engines and sticky tyres, a manual gearbox will quickly become the most performance-hampering aspect of the car. To say that such a car would need one in order to be fun and pure is simply backward and ignorant

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Wasabi the J posted:

This is the same bullshittery that leads to fake engine noises pumped into the speakers.

You can engine brake in even the cheapest auto. You can shift gear faster and more efficiently I in most autos.

Banging gears around may be rewarding, but it's distracting, leaves more opportunity for driver error destroying the car, and is the automotive equivalent of an appeal to nature.

People that think manuals are the only way are like the kid in high school who wore Pink Floyd shirts, insisting that music peaked wherever his dad's music collection stopped growing, never expanding their horizons on what could be done.

Or they just prefer a manual transmission.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, it's audi's name for their slightly different version of the DSG dual clutch transmission, which I happen to like as well (have one in my JSW TDI).

Yup! 2k-ish miles on the car so far and I have to say I'm not missing manual at all. I've been following the transmissions development for a few years now, and it's finally in a place where it won't poo poo itself (see B8 S4 DSG's). At least they didn't name it the Porsche Doppelkupplung, or something equally as German.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

corn in the fridge posted:

While this is very true, my arguement is than in high end sports cars with highly tuned suspensions, powerful engines and sticky tyres, a manual gearbox will quickly become the most performance-hampering aspect of the car. To say that such a car would need one in order to be fun and pure is simply backward and ignorant

Oh, yeah, I agree with you for the most part. Once you get into real performance car metrics, it's not as critical to the "fun" aspect and can actually make things more dicey and less fun when actually pushing the car to the limits.

Manuals make boring cars fun, for sure, but CAN make fun cars a chore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

No. It's that I want to have fun driving a car. Not-manual cars aren't as fun. Q.E.D.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

eyebeem posted:

2013 500 Pop. Bought it used with all of 3,000 miles on it, popped the hood at the dealer and saw that it had a Mopar intake installed, and later realized that it also had a Mopar exhaust and short shifter kit. Whee.

Drove an auto of almost that exact car over a weekend, minus aftermarket bits. Slap it into sporty semi-auto mode and redline the engine pulling out of an office park getting up to the blistering speed of over 45mph.
:black101:

The capability of a given car means a lot less than the relative amount of fun you can have with it.

Slavvy posted:

No. It's that I want to have fun driving a car. Not-manual cars aren't as fun. Q.E.D.

This is a really dumb conversation. Manual is more AI, so manual wins here. If you want to argue for auto, post some drool-worthy cutaways of cool auto systems. Or something.

Here's a guy driving a powerglide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV6bFyJNBww

Powerglide is an auto transmission compatible with maximal fun.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

*Sploosh*

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every sex scene is replaced with him complaining about how harsh sports car suspension is.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Every sex scene is replaced with him complaining about how harsh sports car suspension is.

This, but it's also still a sex scene.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

El Scotch posted:

Hah, holy poo poo. I cannot stop laughing like a child at this.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

El Scotch posted:

"Game On!"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slim Pickens posted:

*Ties you up* Let me tell you about the nurburgring...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GramCracker posted:

Yup! 2k-ish miles on the car so far and I have to say I'm not missing manual at all. I've been following the transmissions development for a few years now, and it's finally in a place where it won't poo poo itself (see B8 S4 DSG's). At least they didn't name it the Porsche Doppelkupplung, or something equally as German.

I had the DSG in my old GTI which was great, my 335i has the ZF8 box and I was worried going from a dual clutch back to a slushbox was going to be bad, but that ZF8 box is amazing.

How do you like the S3 so far? I like the size but felt like I didn't need AWD.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 14, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Slavvy posted:

The Chevy HHR came in manual. Its not fun to drive in automatic. It's even less fun to drive in manual.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/article/just-give-me-the-drat-manual-transmission/

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ExplodingSims posted:

The Chevy HHR came in manual. Its not fun to drive in automatic. It's even less fun to drive in manual.

Wrong it's slightly funner with a manual just like getting shot with a rubber bullet is funner than a beanbag round.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

8ender posted:

Wrong it's slightly funner with a manual just like getting shot with a rubber bullet is funner than a beanbag round.

Yeah well I can talk on my phone and eat a burrito while i'm getting shot with a beanbag round but you can't do that while getting shot with a rubber bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can, and have, driven a badly undergeared offroad truck in NYC with a manual in traffic while eating pizza. It wasn't even hard. Also this is a really dumb argument and definitely not as cool as posting awesome AI poo poo so here is a video of offroad buggies racing on a pretty difficult obstacle.

Those are 37-44 inch tires, for a sense of scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsHAqBXpXcI

E: he tried to do it in reverse after to show off and it backfired pretty badly.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 14, 2015