Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taxi to victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Taxi to victory!

Just how many people in this thread are alumni of Waterthread / the diaspora of LtM, anyways?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just lurked, IIRC, so I'm not sure I count.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

shadok posted:

Just how many people in this thread are alumni of Waterthread / the diaspora of LtM, anyways?

I think almost any gamer over 30 stopped in one of the sites at least a few times.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

shadok posted:

i am 25, 5 years and some change short of being over 30. what are these.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

i am 25, 5 years and some change short of being over 30. what are these.

Waterthread.org was the most interesting place to talk about MMOs from 2001 to 2004; it attracted a lot of smart players, a lot of game developers and a lot of people who went on to become game developers. Lum the Mad is Scott Jennings, a very funny guy who was one of the first people to write online about UO and EQ. Waterthread was one of a bunch of successor sites to his old blog, "The Rantings of Lum the Mad" which were sometimes collectively called "the diaspora of LtM".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And then F13, I guess.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

And then F13, I guess.

F13, CorpNews, Grimwell, Anyuzer... people went all over.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Don't forget the thrilling week or two of Slow News Day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont know if this game will be good, but its buy to play which is a really good sign

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

They seem to be saying/planning a lot of things that are not pants on head retarded. Which means their eventual failure will suck even worse.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WayAbvPar posted:

They seem to be saying/planning a lot of things that are not pants on head retarded. Which means their eventual failure will suck even worse.

rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger
Finally after 20ish years of development Shadowbane is almost ready. I can't wait :dance:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's gonna be the Duke Nukem Forever of PvP MMOs. :smith:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Oh my god the back-stories are so loving stupid in this game

Why do people try to flesh out their worlds with writing if their writing is terrible. Just leave it up to the imagination if you're that loving awful

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

On a positive note, it looks like they didn't go too nuts with the graphical fidelity, and it still looks pretty good.

Less focus on expensive textures and modelling increases the viability of any game, at least.

Namelus
Sep 27, 2013
So, anyone planning on making a thread called Crowfall, describing what we know and checking to see if any goons want to join in?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

theres no information on the site other than theres class archetypes, its 3d, and theres stats and maybe pvp or whatever

I guess they are going to release more in ~11 days

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Carol Pizzamom posted:

theres no information on the site other than theres class archetypes, its 3d, and theres stats and maybe pvp or whatever

yea i would wait honestly. maybe until there's an alpha or something that you can at least try, unless they release something worth discussing for several pages

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
please, do not give money to be in the crowfall alpha

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Given what games are like now-days, what are the chances it isn't pay to win.

Well, maybe if there's at least fishing..

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Given what games are like now-days, what are the chances it isn't pay to win.

Well, maybe if there's at least fishing..

They claim to be strongly against P2W. However, they did confirm a few things in their pricing FAQ.

• A system like Eve's PLEX for buying and selling "VIP subscription" time. As far as I can tell the only real perk from the VIP stuff is you can passively train 3 characters at a time instead of 1 at a time, plus some USD discounts.
  • A way to buy cosmetic stuff which will have no actual effect on the game.
  • A way to buy additional character slots per account.
  • A way to buy an increased player cap in your "kingdom", which most people understand to basically be a lobby/peaceful player housing zone. Mostly cosmetic.

I'm fine with the PLEX stuff because gold farmers will be in the game anyway, so might as well legitimize it. And Eve hasn't had any problems with it. And the increased character slots would already be achieved by people buying new accounts with real money anyway, so again, not really a big deal.

I am a little concerned as to the nature and scope of the player kingdoms, but since they seem to be separate from the game world itself, I don't think it'll actually affect balance at all. I just hope they don't waste that much development time and effort on a stupid barbie dream house medieval castle sim.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Yeah, too early to make an official thread now. Someone should start preparing an :effort: thread for the announcement day though.

Zarithas fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 14, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Plex is a good system because its not hard at all to make enough gold to keep vip up

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Eonwe volunteers to make the thread and lead the goon guild

edit: how many avatars have you gone through in the last week wtf

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Biowarfare posted:

:stare:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Biowarfare posted:

edit: how many avatars have you gone through in the last week wtf

5 I think

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Zarithas posted:

• A system like Eve's PLEX for buying and selling "VIP subscription" time. As far as I can tell the only real perk from the VIP stuff is you can passively train 3 characters at a time instead of 1 at a time, plus some USD discounts.
  • A way to buy cosmetic stuff which will have no actual effect on the game.
  • A way to buy additional character slots per account.
  • A way to buy an increased player cap in your "kingdom", which most people understand to basically be a lobby/peaceful player housing zone. Mostly cosmetic.

I'm good with this. You have to make concessions with these games, especially if you want constant updates. Convenience and cosmetics are just something you have to get rid of sometimes. It's unfortunate that when you see someone with something cool, you don't think about how he got it, and instead you think about how he probably bought it, but you can't have it all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger
Game has to actually come out for it to be pay to win. Let's just take this one step at a time guys.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Looks like they're going to attempt a Minecrafty approach to world generation and player construction/destruction.

quote:

This morning's update is a bit different; instead of concentrating exclusively on game content, today we're going to look at some of the core technology that we're using to make this game work: a platform called Voxel Farm.

Some of you are probably familiar with Voxel Farm; it's gotten a lot of attention for use in some other high-profile games. This library really consists of two parts:

1. it gives us the ability to modify and shape the terrain and buildings in the game, using "voxels" (tiny blocks, sort of like Minecraft only much, MUCH smaller), and

2. it also allows us to generate our World maps procedurally.

quote:

What does a voxelized world allow players to do?
Blast holes in walls. Collapse towers on your opponent. Dig a tunnel beneath a castle wall, so that you can dig your way up into the courtyard and siege from within.

Voxel technology gives the players the ability to (literally) move mountains.

To see what’s possible, check out the Voxel Farm destruction demo, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on-0Ou48tak

http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54e359997450fc794e7711c0

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Zarithas posted:

Looks like they're going to attempt a Minecrafty approach to world generation and player construction/destruction.

http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54e359997450fc794e7711c0

This is beginning to sound
More and more badass..

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
maybe they can make a good game :smith:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

We believe the MMO industry has grown stale. It’s time to create something new.
:agreed:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Eonwe posted:

Spit that hook out before it sticks in your jaw!

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Eonwe posted:

There is a chance. To me it sounds like they're getting way too big for their britches with all these ideas (basically trying to create and run multiple different procedurally generated and malleable MMOs simultaneously with the world architecture). If they can actually pull it off it could be really good, but I think they're veering into very very experimental territory.

Best to hold off any :shepspends: until the beta.

Zarithas fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 17, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
maybe this time

maybe this time it will be different, guys

maybe this time

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
T... Tell me about the rabbits, George.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dogo posted:

T... Tell me about the rabbits, George.

I read this book when I was a kid and even thinking about it today fucks me up so bad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"collapse towers on your opponent" sounds like they're signing up for some pretty serious physical simulation too. interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If EQ Landmark couldn't make voxels work right, I doubt they will.

• Locked thread