Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

going to get a panini later, for lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
your no inri

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
did ne1 use helpouts or w/e and also theres that other question asking place like jasmine or something idk its got a girls name i think does ne1 use that1?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
another google product made entirely out of aids and fail

that "more wood behind fewer arrows" management shift is really paying off

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

quote:

SCHMIDT: I'm trying to type the question in you're asking me, so I need to use Google Voice Search here.

SAGAL: Do it. Actually, at this point, I think we best better let you use the crutch, so go on.

(LAUGHTER)

PIERCE: Rennes-le-Chateau.

SAGAL: Rennes-le-Chateau. We've never tried this. You're the chairman of Google, you get to use Google, go ahead, see if you can answer the question.

SCHMIDT: Um...

(LAUGHTER)

SCHMIDT: The pure society, the Free Masons, the (unintelligible), I mean, you know, there's lots of information here.

SAGAL: I know.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Meanwhile, we got Bill Gates on the other line. He used Bing, and he got it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/technology/personaltech/googles-time-at-the-top-may-be-nearing-its-end.html

peak google in the new york times. the narrative is shifting, google's destruction is almost upon us

if the narrative shifts enough, google will shitcan all of its dumbass moon shot projects and just be a profitable advertising giant

google with all the money-losing fuckup bullshit removed is still a behemoth firm with huge profits and significant growth potential. (probably better profits and growth than its current form!)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if the narrative shifts enough, google will shitcan all of its dumbass moon shot projects and just be a profitable advertising giant

google with all the money-losing fuckup bullshit removed is still a behemoth firm with huge profits and significant growth potential. (probably better profits and growth than its current form!)

yeah but their stock will take a header because being profitable is boring

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

yeah but their stock will take a header because being profitable is boring

yahoo makes a shitload of profits, don't they? but they keep throwing money at poo poo that will get them into the news again

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

yahoo makes a shitload of profits, don't they? but they keep throwing money at poo poo that will get them into the news again

yahoo has declining profits and small market shares in a dozen niches. google has growing profits and commanding, dominating market shares in its core businesses

if yahoo shitcanned all of its niche businesses, it would be liquidated. there isn't really a "core" yahoo business. the portal, maybe?

if google shitcanned all of its niche "businesses" (self-driving cars, glass, google labs, "building X"), larry and sergei would get mad, but the stock would soar

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

larry and sergey cashing out

http://www.businessinsider.com/googles-co-founders-are-going-to-sell-44-billion-worth-of-shares-2015-2

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol business insider

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

did someone just discover the order schedule insiders have to file like a year in advance

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

lol business insider

on the plus side, molydeux is having a breakdown

http://uk.businessinsider.com/peter-molyneux-rock-paper-shotgun-interview-2015-2

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the interviewer opens with "Are you a pathological liar?" lmbo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weird that he can overpromise and underdeliver on games for two decades but just now he's growing a conscience

he should have tim schafer hook him up with his dealer, he seems to have no issues turning nostalgia-fueled crowdfunding into mediocre games

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

the interviewer opens with "Are you a pathological liar?" lmbo

the first couple of populous games were the poo poo. the magic carpet engine scaled for a good few years. dungeon keeper was cheesy and unbalanced but had kernels of good ideas. everything else the man has ever done has been complete and utter shite

e: but none of this belongs in the google thread and i suppose thats still a lot more success than most of us will ever have

shitface fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 14, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

was From Dust any good? it looked like it might be a decent spiritual sequel to those games

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shitface posted:

the first couple of populous games were the poo poo. the magic carpet engine scaled for a good few years. dungeon keeper was cheesy and unbalanced but had kernels of good ideas. everything else the man has ever done has been complete and utter shite

e: but none of this belongs in the google thread and i suppose thats still a lot more success than most of us will ever have

i looked it up in wikipedia

every game he made with bullfrog was, at the very least, quite good
every game he made after bullfrog was a half-finished turd

maybe he just had a good manager at bullfrog

i don't remember 'fusion' but every other game on this list is a blast. i kinda want to play multiplayer gene wars right now

Fusion (1987) (designer/programmer)
Populous (1989) (designer/programmer)
Powermonger (1990) (designer/programmer)
Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods (1991) (designer/programmer)
Syndicate (1993) (producer)
Theme Park (1994) (project leader/lead programmer)
Magic Carpet (1994) (executive producer)
Hi-Octane (1995) (executive producer)
Magic Carpet 2 (1996) (designer)
Genewars (1996)
Dungeon Keeper (1997) (project leader/designer)

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

was From Dust any good? it looked like it might be a decent spiritual sequel to those games

never even heard of it, never mind played it, but i'm not really a james player. the metacritic score of 78 by critics and 4.8 by actual buyers would suggest that molydeux had semi-successfully blew smoke up the collective arse of james reviewers yet again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

From Dust wasn't molyneux, just a game in the style

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i looked it up in wikipedia

every game he made with bullfrog was, at the very least, quite good
every game he made after bullfrog was a half-finished turd

maybe he just had a good manager at bullfrog

i don't remember 'fusion' but every other game on this list is a blast. i kinda want to play multiplayer gene wars right now

Fusion (1987) (designer/programmer)
Populous (1989) (designer/programmer)
Powermonger (1990) (designer/programmer)
Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods (1991) (designer/programmer)
Syndicate (1993) (producer)
Theme Park (1994) (project leader/lead programmer)
Magic Carpet (1994) (executive producer)
Hi-Octane (1995) (executive producer)
Magic Carpet 2 (1996) (designer)
Genewars (1996)
Dungeon Keeper (1997) (project leader/designer)

hi-octane iirc was thrown together in a matter of weeks to prop up revenue. by the time it came out i had a machine fast enough to run the magic carpet engine in glorious svga and my friend and i played the poo poo out of that game until we got so good that success was inevitable (which didn't actually take that long). still, that engine carried bullfrog for many years

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

also, power monger was crap and had too many sheep. and i'm a loving scot

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

qirex posted:

he seems to have no issues turning nostalgia-fueled crowdfunding into mediocre games

well considering godus

it looks like he has lots and lots of issues

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It does look a pretty game though, I hope they ship the artwork books.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://plus.google.com/+BradFitzpatrick/posts/bpUvi6BBubm

lol nest is garbage

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the only smoke alarms you need are mains powered, battery or capacitor backed, interlinked and a mixture of ionisation and optical depending if its in your kitchen or not. they are £35 each.

gently caress having to wi-fi janitor a smoke alarm through an app jfc.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

mmm yease let me replace all my otherwise working equipment with some google poo poo that's connected to the Internet of Things

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
smoke detectors are exactly the type of thing you don't need the internet for. Your home depot $20 for 2 smoke detectors are as good as it gets. No loving around, no flailing like a dumbass, and they're 10 bucks.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
do the internet advertising company smoke detectors call the fire dept for you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if google shitcanned all of its niche "businesses" (self-driving cars, glass, google labs, "building X"), larry and sergei would get mad, but the stock would soar

it would also be good for everyone

gently caress their whole "we're changing the world by being an advertising company" garbage

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

it's decent but it's more of a puzzle game

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

smoke detectors are exactly the type of thing you don't need the internet for. Your home depot $20 for 2 smoke detectors are as good as it gets. No loving around, no flailing like a dumbass, and they're 10 bucks.

yeah a simple discrete or integrated circuit which takes the analog inputs from an ionization and/or photoelectric sensor and flips on the alarm if they hit a certain value is all they need. the fewer points of failure the better.

edit - I mean we should link to the internet and have them tweet the fire department and crowdsource the tracking of rapid oxidation of household materials.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 14, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

either way

http://didgoogleshutdown.com/submit

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Thanks Ants posted:

lol business insider

at least it's not Forbes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
a smoke detector that automatically calls the fire department would be great for people who don't find accidentally setting one off by burning something enough of a pain in the rear end already

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

drat:

quote:

Peter Molyneux: I literally work sixteen hours a day. I literally work sixteen hours a day. I don’t do that just to lie to people, I do it because I believe I’m doing. I totally believe in what I’m trying to make. Yeah, and you can rile the backers up and get them to ask for their money back and you can say, ‘Oh, you’ve broken your promises,’ but I’m still doing it. I’m still working on it. I’m still putting every ounce of my energy. I’m still not going to my son’s play because I had to work on Godus. I’m still getting shouted at by my wife because I’m not home. Do you know what time I got home last night? Two-thirty in the morning.

talk about highlighting the folly of constant overtime

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it's amazing to see nest progressively break this man down

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

another nyt article questioning google

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/business/google-aims-for-sky-but-investors-start-to-clamor-for-profits.html?_r=0

this is how the narrative changes and google becomes "the new microsoft" in conventional wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

another nyt article questioning google

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/business/google-aims-for-sky-but-investors-start-to-clamor-for-profits.html?_r=0

this is how the narrative changes and google becomes "the new microsoft" in conventional wisdom

oh no google will become a powerful and wealthy company that makes tons of money :qq:

• Locked thread