Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Onmi posted:

Yuya basically lost to Reiji. And even he admits that he won on chance and not merit.

Seriously, it's basically as much of a loss as Joey and Marik should have been a win. Last minute before Reiji/Joey declares his final move that wins him the game, with no possible way for Yuya/Marik to come back, he quits/passes out, and thus loses by default.

He could have spent a minute longer dueling and gotten to the problem that everyone was panicking about then, and would have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Seriously, it's basically as much of a loss as Joey and Marik should have been a win. Last minute before Reiji/Joey declares his final move that wins him the game, with no possible way for Yuya/Marik to come back, he quits/passes out, and thus loses by default.

He could have spent a minute longer dueling and gotten to the problem that everyone was panicking about then, and would have won.

It was at least better than Joey v Marik because Reiji was basically playing for nothing since he made his own pendulum cards and at the end of the duel he was portrayed as the victor and a badass even though he technically didn't win, while in the former case Marik still gets treated as a better duelist than Joey and a near insurmountable challenge for the Pharaoh even though he by all accounts lost his last duel.

It's still a stupid plot point though. The protagonists losing every once in a while is a good thing, they don't need to get let off by technicalities.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's still a stupid plot point though. The protagonists losing every once in a while is a good thing, they don't need to get let off by technicalities.

The main problem is that every time they put a protagonist in a losing position, it's when big poo poo is on the line. If Reiji had gone through with the attack and won, You Show would have been shut down, and Yuya would have joined LDS.

Like, that could be an interesting story to tell, but it was obviously not the story they wanted to.

It's the same problem with Yuya like, losing to one of his qualifying duels for the tournament. If he lost, then we'd not get to see the tournament with him at least, and he has to be able to participate in some way.

Both of them could have been worked around though (Reiji declares that he doesn't want someone as terrible as Yuya in LDS and that he can keep his school, Yuya is forced to use the exemption that Reiji prepared for him) so I guess losing would've been fine for one of them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was at least better than Joey v Marik because Reiji was basically playing for nothing since he made his own pendulum cards and at the end of the duel he was portrayed as the victor and a badass even though he technically didn't win, while in the former case Marik still gets treated as a better duelist than Joey and a near insurmountable challenge for the Pharaoh even though he by all accounts lost his last duel.

I know this is another anime altogether but the way Ash punked out of the Indigo League still sorta stings after all these years.

If only for the fact that Team Rocket, who were about as actually threatening as a bag of kittens, essentially buggered up a major sporting competition.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

KittyEmpress posted:

It's the same problem with Yuya like, losing to one of his qualifying duels for the tournament. If he lost, then we'd not get to see the tournament with him at least, and he has to be able to participate in some way.

Honestly there was a week left, I think it would have been interesting had he lost a duel, because like Gongenzaka said "I still have a week to win (then) two games" Hell Meiru made it to the tournament and she lost to him in that series of duels.

It's more that the point of the arc was "Yuya is learning something from each of these duels."

It's just a pity that most of it was poo poo cause the overall yeah themes is interesting

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Blaze Dragon posted:

The LSD trio is there to job though. Not only the Shun duel, Yaiba getting beaten by Kachidoki and Hokuto getting carded off-screen by Selena make it absolutely clear that they're there less to create proper rivalries and more to show just how dangerous other people are.

Kind of sucks since I like them, but I seriously doubt they'll have a good win/loss record if they continue being used like this. \

The fact that Masumi has a reason to still exist as a character makes me hopeful she won't just be a jobber. Her two friends can just be backups, but drat it, I want Masumi to shine.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know this is another anime altogether but the way Ash punked out of the Indigo League still sorta stings after all these years.

If only for the fact that Team Rocket, who were about as actually threatening as a bag of kittens, essentially buggered up a major sporting competition.

Oh man, that bullshit still loving hurts.

It's even worse that Ash had to lose to what basically amounts to a lovely fanfiction character.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dexie posted:

Oh man, that bullshit still loving hurts.

It's even worse that Ash had to lose to what basically amounts to a lovely fanfiction character.

Indigo stung. Sinnoh was when you finally realized that he would never win. Because each year he'd gotten closer and closer... and then Sinnoh just has his opponent send out Latios and Darkrai. It was like the in-game battle tower just going "NOPE" at you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
And then Unova in general happened and all hope was lost.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Onmi posted:

Indigo stung. Sinnoh was when you finally realized that he would never win. Because each year he'd gotten closer and closer... and then Sinnoh just has his opponent send out Latios and Darkrai. It was like the in-game battle tower just going "NOPE" at you.

I don't mind him not winning because gently caress, at least his lost matches are close, you know?

Indigo is just complete bullshit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Dexie posted:

I don't mind him not winning because gently caress, at least his lost matches are close, you know?

Indigo is just complete bullshit.

Eh, losing all of his team to take out one legendary, only for his opponent to casually just unleash a second was really bullshit as well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

Eh, losing all of his team to take out one legendary, only for his opponent to casually just unleash a second was really bullshit as well.

What makes it worse is Ash took out both of them when literally nobody else in the entirety of Sinnoh, not even the other finalist, took out 1.

I like to think the rest of the guy's team was the PC trash outside the first town and he was actually properly hosed if someone took out both.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, though, we have our answer on Ash's skill with the Battle Frontier.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I have it on good authority that Ash will win the Kalos League this season.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what yugioh card would ash use

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Has Ash aged like, at all? He started this nonsense when he was 10 and I'm pretty sure he should just be middle-aged and sad that he's accomplished mostly nothing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I have it on good authority that Ash will win the Kalos League this season.

He will win that and more

And will also be retired as a character

forbidden lesbian posted:

what yugioh card would ash use

Red-Eyes Black Dragon

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Has Ash aged like, at all? He started this nonsense when he was 10 and I'm pretty sure he should just be middle-aged and sad that he's accomplished mostly nothing.

no and he was starting to get taller as if he was going through puberty so they made sure to shrink him back in recent seasons

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

its a show for kids

you weren't meant to watch it for 15 years

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

its a show for kids

Words written in the Yugioh thread. :ironicat:

Except I guess the yugioh producers tried to face that problem head-on with 5Ds.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
ANd then went the opposite direction with Zexel

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

its a show for kids

I quit 13 years ago but that doesn't mean he should lose every time

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I quit 13 years ago but that doesn't mean he should lose every time

Just think it's like Gilligan's Island. 15 years of Gilligan's Island.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

'Mostly nothing'.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash_Ketchum#Pok.C3.A9mon_competitions

Not to mention saving the world on dozens on occasions.

I think most trainers would be happy with that kind of a record.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So its pretty safe to say that Odd Eyes is getting Synchro and XYZ variants right? I just saw Rune Eyes and thought it lretty neat

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

What makes it worse is Ash took out both of them when literally nobody else in the entirety of Sinnoh, not even the other finalist, took out 1.

Actually he beat 2, he managed to knock Latios out with Pikachu by itself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Red Suit posted:

So its pretty safe to say that Odd Eyes is getting Synchro and XYZ variants right? I just saw Rune Eyes and thought it lretty neat

Yup, the real question is, will we be seeing a ritual version eventually?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

No.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Red Suit posted:

Yeah, seems like the way Yuya can surpass Reiji's use of Pendulums to use other summon methods quickly: use his pendulum ace as a hub to pull out variations on it with all summon methods.

Xoidanor posted:

lmao

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Let me dream. :negative:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Xoidanor posted:

Nekroz of Odd-Eyes

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I spent a bunch of old gift cards on well, cards and I did not get a single wind weasel somehow. At least I have a million knock-off Saint Seiyas and a pink dolphin (Spiritual Beasts are now my favorite, oh my god).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the next Weekly Shonen Jump promo will be Ultimaya Tzolk'in as voted in by...pretty much everyone, really.

Attb: DARK
Type: Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level: 0
ATK/DEF: 0/0

This card is treated as Level 12. Cannot be Synchro Summoned. Must be Special Summoned by sending 2 Level 5 or higher monsters you control that has the same Level (1 Tuner and 1 non-Tuner), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn, when a Spell/Trap Card(s) is Set on your side of the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Power Tool" Synchro Monster or Level 7 or 8 Dragon-Type Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck. While you control another Synchro Monster, this face-up card on the field cannot be targeted by attacks or card effects.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Red Suit posted:

I figured it would only be getting fusion, since Yuto and Yugo both have their own dragons, and he would just end up using those.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

I figured it would only be getting fusion, since Yuto and Yugo both have their own dragons, and he would just end up using those.

I thought the same, but Yuri definitely has a XX Fusion Dragon, so why would he be the exception? I mean, apart from the whole "possibly the only evil Yuya".

I'm guessing Yuya will get Synchro and Xyz versions of Odd-Eyes even if he ends up carrying both Dark Rebellion and Clear Wing. Hell, they may go hand-in-hand, have the Synchro version use Clear Wing and Odd-Eyes (either treated as a Tuner somehow), and the Xyz...umm...okay I have no idea, since you can't Xyz Summon with Xyz Monsters outside of Ranking Up, which would leave Odd-Eyes out. This is a stupid idea, ignore it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They could always break their own rules, like they always do, and say you have to use Dark Rebelion as an overlay with Odd Eyes and say it's not a normal XYZ summon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

alcharagia posted:

Nekroz of Odd-Eyes

Yuya going all Action armor on us would be awesome

For reference this is a Nekroz:

A guy using this monster as armor:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 15, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yuya going all Action armor on us would be awesome

Bring back Valon's armor deck, please.

Fake edit: Either the knights school or Kachidoki's school should be running it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Momomo posted:

They could always break their own rules, like they always do, and say you have to use Dark Rebelion as an overlay with Odd Eyes and say it's not a normal XYZ summon.

Rank-Down-Magic to turn a Rank 7 into a Rank 4, then have it Cxyz change or Rank-Up-Magic to turn into something greater?