Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Davin Valkri posted:

I didn't say "what is kirby's alignment," I said "who is kirby-aligned?" To act as a counterpart to your "waddle dee-aligned" persona.

sorry i'm dumb and misread because multitaskingggggggggggggg a bunch and also Being A Dumb @.@

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Davin Valkri posted:

Who the hell declares themselves evil, anyway? Like, where did that even start being a thing?

and basically any other cartoon villain ever

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Davin Valkri posted:

Who the hell declares themselves evil, anyway? Like, where did that even start being a thing?

When you hear someone say "I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I get results" this is basically what they are doing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Davin Valkri posted:

So, Chef Waddle Dee? Dawwww... :kimchi: But then who would be Kirby-aligned?

I would be Kirby-aligned.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm the snail advisor from the kirby anime

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm bagging Dedede-aligned and nobody can stop me. Bow to the king. :hist101:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Gazetteer posted:

You know, I used to argue with this a lot more, but at this point I'm honestly going to admit that there was some really uncomfortable subtext with a lot of post-911 zombie fiction. In the same vein as, say, the 2005 Spielberg version of War of the Worlds. Some terrible things have come from somewhere else to destroy our way of life! Let's pair it all with some really crushingly bleak takes on human nature and this creepy tribalism where everyone is in their own group and gently caress anyone outside of it. (less War of the Worlds for that last part, it's just a film that comes from a very similar... cultural time/place as, say, The Walking Dead comics do). So... it's not all that surprising that the genre struck a cord with racist survival fetish weapon nuts who just want to fantasise about gunning people down with machine guns or whatever.
When the whole "Zombie Apocalypse" thing started getting huge a few years ago, I had to take so many of my friends aside and ask them to stop and think for a second where all these militia groups came from. You know, the ones that were all about learning to shoot, and wilderness survival skills, and living off the grid, for the inevitable point where the zombies take over the cities.

The ones where the group was already really well-established, for whatever reason.

The ones that winked when they talked about shooting "zombies".

:doh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Davin Valkri posted:

Here you go.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Even though I know perfectly well what's meant by "goth" here, I can't help but imagine a scene set in 3rd century Rome and there's just a bunch of dudes in too much makeup wearing a lot of leather, frilly dresses and spikes.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think my favorite orc spin I've seen (It may even have been here) was "Orcs -were- a world-destroying threat years ago....and then they found out that other races don't reincarnate shortly after death with all memories intact. So have spent the last several decades being really, really sorry because they thought they were just temporarily inconveniencing people with all the murder."

Hey, I wrote that. Woohoo, people remember my stuff!

On a related note, the setting that that ended up being a part of took what I feel is a perhaps slightly unusual stance on Chaotic Evil and I'd be interested to see what the people who are interested in/care about the surrounding tropes in fiction think. The thing my players and I came up with as a setting conceit is that Evil with a capital E is contagious. Not metaphorically. There's a straight up nanoplague that turns its victims irrevocably evil and loyal to the Big Bad who created it. I'm the sort of person who generally enjoys having shades of grey, so the rest of the setting is along those lines. The two human empires war with each other and occasionally commit atrocities while generally being okay places to live. The Dwarves are pretty much fascist expansionists while still being the premier craftsmen and artists of the world. The Halflings have a callous disregard for the sanctity of life while being pretty good chaps to get to know casually. Orcs are honourable and loyal, but remorseless killers. But the game we're playing - Fellowship, by fellow goon gnome7 - has an always evil Big Bad and his armies as a setting conceit and the way we dealt with that is that evil is something imposed on you, rather than inherent in your being. The question as to whether it is right, good and just to murder someone who has literally had evil forced upon them has not actually come up as much as I thought it would. Maybe I have the wrong group for that kind of thing but when confronted with the horror and depravity of the evil armies, the players have slaughtered them without hesitation or remorse, even resorting to torturing them for information and killing the unarmed. As far as anyone knows, the plague is incurable and there's no going back for anyone infected with it, so it's not like you can do anything but kill them.

When I write it all out like that, our setting kind of makes me a little uncomfortable. We've written a scenario where, like your average zombie apocalypse, it's not out of the question that one day you'll have to kill your entire family if they turn against you and you probably shouldn't feel too bad about it. Except zombies don't usually retain all their memories and most of their personality. With this, you're definitely murderering real, sapient, intelligent people - albeit unfathomably evil ones.

I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing that there would be a backlash against in forums like this one if it appeared in a published RPG work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Really Pants posted:

whats ur alignment

Neutral Storygamer

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Neutral Storygamer

More like Chaotic Swine. :smuggo:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Noncommittal Granola.

I see you're also playing Freebase.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
My preferred method of "chaotic evil" is to pay way more attention to the "chaotic" part. The evil is simply what lengths they'll go to.

No laws or tyrants.

No laws or tyrants, without exception.

Also the actual best alignment system is the one where you write the action hero your character would best identify with.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also the actual best alignment system is the one where you write the action hero your character would best identify with.

John Crichton, every time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
But which one?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ProfessorCirno posted:

So I'm Link-aligned?

(Although I'm sure some people would say I'm Richie Rich aligned.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ok, that makes too much fuckin sense.

All my characters are Riddick aligned.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tollymain posted:

i'm the snail advisor from the kirby anime

His NAME.

is Escargoon.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Every person in the setting always wears a "WWJD?" bracelet except sometimes the J stands for John McClane or Jones, Indiana or Jack the Ripper aka Raiden.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Alpha Protocol where you had the three 'JB' choices for conversations.

• James Bond
  • Jason Bourne
  • Jack Bauer

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Alpha Protocol where you had the three 'JB' choices for conversations.

• James Bond
  • Jason Bourne
  • Jack Bauer

Although the "James Bond" option was really more of a "Sterling Archer" option, given how everyone in the game (rightly) reacted to a wisecracking jackass who hit on every woman in sight.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

AmiYumi posted:

When the whole "Zombie Apocalypse" thing started getting huge a few years ago, I had to take so many of my friends aside and ask them to stop and think for a second where all these militia groups came from. You know, the ones that were all about learning to shoot, and wilderness survival skills, and living off the grid, for the inevitable point where the zombies take over the cities.

The ones where the group was already really well-established, for whatever reason.

The ones that winked when they talked about shooting "zombies".

:doh:
Yeah, I've heard a lot of really scary poo poo about those kind of groups. I mean, at some point it is necessary to separate the fans of a genre being terrible people from the genre itself, but it's still kind of seems beneficial to like, stay aware of what things in this book/movie/whatever are attractive to this particular kind of person, and figure out if that's really a thing that needs to be in them in the first place.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorCirno posted:

My preferred method of "chaotic evil" is to pay way more attention to the "chaotic" part. The evil is simply what lengths they'll go to.

No laws or tyrants.

No laws or tyrants, without exception.

soooo the iron republic

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

AmiYumi posted:

Although the "James Bond" option was really more of a "Sterling Archer" option, given how everyone in the game (rightly) reacted to a wisecracking jackass who hit on every woman in sight.

That just made it even better!

Tollymain posted:

soooo the iron republic

Literally yes

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Literally yes

Most excellent. :black101:

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 14, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

AmiYumi posted:

"What happened, Cyril - did you fall on your 20-sided die?" :smug:

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Even though I know perfectly well what's meant by "goth" here, I can't help but imagine a scene set in 3rd century Rome and there's just a bunch of dudes in too much makeup wearing a lot of leather, frilly dresses and spikes.

Hamlet wore all black, all the time, was mopey to the point of near-complete apathy, had a lot of "deep" soliloquies about suicide and probably wrote poetry.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

MartianAgitator posted:

Hamlet wore all black, all the time, was mopey to the point of near-complete apathy, had a lot of "deep" soliloquies about suicide and probably wrote poetry.

Dude talked to skulls and ghosts.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Impermanent posted:

I'm Chaotic Neutral, the Cool Alignment That Says I Do What I Want
Excuse me

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

whydirt posted:

I see you're also playing Freebase.

That sounds like a Conspirator trick of THE MAN.

And I have no idea what you're talking about.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That sounds like a Conspirator trick of THE MAN.

And I have no idea what you're talking about.

He's a Type IV. Get a couple of unconscious gigolos, I've got a plan and the components for a Fireball.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Doodmons posted:

Hey, I wrote that. Woohoo, people remember my stuff!

On a related note, the setting that that ended up being a part of took what I feel is a perhaps slightly unusual stance on Chaotic Evil and I'd be interested to see what the people who are interested in/care about the surrounding tropes in fiction think. The thing my players and I came up with as a setting conceit is that Evil with a capital E is contagious. Not metaphorically. There's a straight up nanoplague that turns its victims irrevocably evil and loyal to the Big Bad who created it. I'm the sort of person who generally enjoys having shades of grey, so the rest of the setting is along those lines. The two human empires war with each other and occasionally commit atrocities while generally being okay places to live. The Dwarves are pretty much fascist expansionists while still being the premier craftsmen and artists of the world. The Halflings have a callous disregard for the sanctity of life while being pretty good chaps to get to know casually. Orcs are honourable and loyal, but remorseless killers. But the game we're playing - Fellowship, by fellow goon gnome7 - has an always evil Big Bad and his armies as a setting conceit and the way we dealt with that is that evil is something imposed on you, rather than inherent in your being. The question as to whether it is right, good and just to murder someone who has literally had evil forced upon them has not actually come up as much as I thought it would. Maybe I have the wrong group for that kind of thing but when confronted with the horror and depravity of the evil armies, the players have slaughtered them without hesitation or remorse, even resorting to torturing them for information and killing the unarmed. As far as anyone knows, the plague is incurable and there's no going back for anyone infected with it, so it's not like you can do anything but kill them.

When I write it all out like that, our setting kind of makes me a little uncomfortable. We've written a scenario where, like your average zombie apocalypse, it's not out of the question that one day you'll have to kill your entire family if they turn against you and you probably shouldn't feel too bad about it. Except zombies don't usually retain all their memories and most of their personality. With this, you're definitely murderering real, sapient, intelligent people - albeit unfathomably evil ones.

I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing that there would be a backlash against in forums like this one if it appeared in a published RPG work.

You basically just described the Taint from Legend of the Five Rings, at least the original flavour.

For all the dumbarse story decisions the L5R team has made for the last number of years, deciding that becoming Tainted needs to be a conscious decision instead of "basically certain doom of being a warped evil thing and hunted down because you're irrevocably going to become evil and helping spread it while you're at it" has been one I'm frankly okay with.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
On the other hand, the concept of Crab clan members who realize they've been tainted just marching solo straight into the Shadowlands just to see how many demons and poo poo they can kill before they get torn to pieces or succumb is metal as gently caress.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Doodmons posted:

Maybe I have the wrong group for that kind of thing but when confronted with the horror and depravity of the evil armies, the players have slaughtered them without hesitation or remorse, even resorting to torturing them for information and killing the unarmed. As far as anyone knows, the plague is incurable and there's no going back for anyone infected with it, so it's not like you can do anything but kill them.

See, like...this is the kind of thing that, when it happens without anyone out-of-character going 'you know, what we're doing is kind of hosed up' or at least acknowledging it, you know, that is in fact kind of uncomfortable!

I've got nothing against playing characters who do terrible things, but it's something you should usually be conscious that you're doing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mors Rattus posted:

See, like...this is the kind of thing that, when it happens without anyone out-of-character going 'you know, what we're doing is kind of hosed up' or at least acknowledging it, you know, that is in fact kind of uncomfortable!

I've got nothing against playing characters who do terrible things, but it's something you should usually be conscious that you're doing.

"Turns out heroes are terrible people who fight other terrible people" is a cool storyline

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It totally is, I agree. Just, you know, you should be aware that you're doing it. When it happens by accident and no one thinks terrible people are doing terrible things, that gets a little weird.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

It totally is, I agree. Just, you know, you should be aware that you're doing it. When it happens by accident and no one thinks terrible people are doing terrible things, that gets a little weird.

Some of it is also a very normal tendency to sympathize with the point of view characters. When you're playing as a guy, seeing the story through their point of view and keeping in mind their justifications, it's easy to miss how awful they might look to someone observing from the outside until you step back a bit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of a good GURPS one shot I played at a convention. 1920s horror, we ended up at a graveyard fighting zombies. After a good amount of gunfire we put them down, but while investigating we found some of the gunk on their skin had rubbed off on us. Because, it turns out, it was paint. A mad scientist was hypnotizing people and making them act like ghouls and we just shot a bunch of innocent living folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Night10194 posted:

Some of it is also a very normal tendency to sympathize with the point of view characters. When you're playing as a guy, seeing the story through their point of view and keeping in mind their justifications, it's easy to miss how awful they might look to someone observing from the outside until you step back a bit.

It depends on tone and player expectations as well. At some level NPCs are just a sack of numbers/words on a GM's notes somewhere. While they're meant to stand in for real people it's difficult (and sometimes a bad idea) to empathize with them compared to, say, a PC. This doesn't mean you should just abandon all morality or be a terrible person about it, but sometimes the players accidentally burning down a village is more comedy than tragedy, you know?

• Locked thread