Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

skipdogg posted:

The PSW10 I had before I upgraded was ok for 95% of what I did. Music was good, TV was good, but it really struggled with anything lower than 40Hz. Movies with good bass really suffered.
I get a lot of port noise with mine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Klipsch Reference 2 stuff is a steal right now.

Got the RB61 II's for $240 a pair from frys, got an RC52 II for $225 from a local store closeout, and just got these in the mail for $379 shipped for the pair (reg $379 each), ref 2 surrounds in wall

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

JacksLibido posted:

I'm in the market for a new subwoofer in the $300 - high $400 range. Right now I have Polk Monitor 70 surrond, center, and front speakers, but my sub is a cheap-o Energy that I got in their 5.1 in a box setup. I was looking at maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2022053 because I'm a fan of how clear the Klipsch subwoofers are, but I'm a bit put off by it being 10". I was also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0XE2303 but I heard Polk subwoofers are meh. The room it's in is pretty big, the whole house has an open floor plan so I do need some pretty decent oompf, would a 10" be enough or should I be looking for something bigger? Should I stick with a Polk sub since I have Polk speakers? I don't know speakers that well.

Usage is mostly watching TV, movies and video games.

-edit-
how good is this deal/speaker?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VIWK0G...ASIN=B003VIWK0G

or this:
http://smile.amazon.com/BIC-America...k+505+subwoofer

or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0XE2303
Hsu makes a couple in that range. That's the route I would go.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Welp, on the topic of subs and making a system I might just spoil myself with this bad boy

12" SVS SB12-NSD 400W Compact Sealed Subwoofer $470 - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/145582

Seems a bit more music orientated and good for small areas

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skipdogg posted:

I would wait for the Polk PSW505 to go on sale again at a sub 200 dollar range and pick 2 of them up. I really like my PSW505 especially at a sub 200 dollar price point.

The PSW10 I had before I upgraded was ok for 95% of what I did. Music was good, TV was good, but it really struggled with anything lower than 40Hz. Movies with good bass really suffered.

Seconding this, 2 Polk 505's is about the best setup you can get for cheap, short of DIY stuff made of cardboard and garbage cans.

And I think the poster was saying "it booms" to mean it performs well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Welp, on the topic of subs and making a system I might just spoil myself with this bad boy

12" SVS SB12-NSD 400W Compact Sealed Subwoofer $470 - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/145582

Seems a bit more music orientated and good for small areas

Honestly I would still go for a single Polk 505 for less than 1/2 price or two of them. They measure around the same. SVS does make a better quality product, but it's not really going to translate to better sound.

LOOK HOW GOOD IT IS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q_p_HFPRJ8

jonathan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 14, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nvm

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 14, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just get whatever this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpgOUgqCz-w

I laugh off my rear end every time I see it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

status posted:

I get a lot of port noise with mine :(

I stuffed a t-shirt in the port of my PSW10. Seriously.

You can't do that with the 505, though.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
So the Polk 505 is better than they 125? And what would you guys say the crossover point is between low budget and high mid range? I hate buying things twice, I'd rather pay a bit more now than have to upgrade later if the price isn't up near 800. If 600 will buy me a much better sub then I'm ok going that route too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

So the Polk 505 is better than they 125? And what would you guys say the crossover point is between low budget and high mid range? I hate buying things twice, I'd rather pay a bit more now than have to upgrade later if the price isn't up near 800. If 600 will buy me a much better sub then I'm ok going that route too.

The 505 is at the point where if you want better, you should buy two. If you still want better than that, you should build (two of) your own.

The problem with the REALLY nice subs is that they're loving big. Most of the cost is in storing and shipping them. So DIY is usually the best option above the midrange.

Edit: I guess you could make the argument that a sealed sub might be better for some environments. But at that point, I'd still probably just build my own.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 14, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JacksLibido posted:

The Polk 505, the Klipsch 12" and the high power less than $300 subs are one level, then you have a bunch of $800 sub's which aren't really any better, and then you have the $1300 sub's which are better. Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Epik all make subs in that price range that are very very good.

So it's basically good bang for the buck cheap sub, or expensive.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Definitely good to know, thanks for the help guys I'll try out the Polk 505!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How's the spotify work? Control it from your phone or is it purely through the receiver? It's discontinued but $500 on amazon. $350 refurbished (could care less as well). Not in too much of a rush so might wait for a sale on another receiver, subs, or speakers. I know monoprice is making some ok cheap stuff.

The BIC America F12 is the other really popular brand of sub, correct? Just above the PSW10. That one booms at my moms place so probably overkill for my needs. Again I appreciate bass and filling in the lows etc but am really looking for a nice crips/clear sound

In relation to my previous question, my computer is in the same room. Could I hook it up to my receiver via, say, optical, and just have 2 small bookshelf speakers on my desk for sound using the same sub? Leaving the ones near the TV off.

I haven't messed with the airplay/spotify/pandora stuff on the receiver. I use a Roku and do it all from that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jonathan posted:

The Polk 505, the Klipsch 12" and the high power less than $300 subs are one level, then you have a bunch of $800 sub's which aren't really any better, and then you have the $1300 sub's which are better. Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Epik all make subs in that price range that are very very good.

So it's basically good bang for the buck cheap sub, or expensive.

I'd disagree with this, there's plenty well-made stuff in the $400-700 range from internet direct companies like NHT, Aperion, or the low-end of HSU and SVS.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tannoy DC6TSEs. Good choice or not? I want a 2.1 system to use with my tv and to play music.
Is there any amps that integrate AirPlay? I'd like to be able to stream all my music and play it if possible.
I liked the look of the marantz sr6004 amp but the added hardware to make it AirPlay is quite prohibitive.
Aesthetics of the speakers are important to me to some extent too.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I'm thinking of getting some Klipsch RF-42 IIs. My room is 13x20 with the TV on the long wall, so my question is are tower speakers too big for the room? They will have to be set up right next to the wall and then there will only be about 10-11 feet between them and the couch.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I'm thinking of getting some Klipsch RF-42 IIs. My room is 13x20 with the TV on the long wall, so my question is are tower speakers too big for the room? They will have to be set up right next to the wall and then there will only be about 10-11 feet between them and the couch.

I don't think you have to worry about speakers being too big, just turn the volume down if it's a problem.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Is there any amps that integrate AirPlay?
Can't answer your other stuff, but at least for this, yes there's amps w/AirPlay. I got some Yamaha I think a few years ago that had it, and searching Amazon right now for AirPlay receiver brought up (other than some random Bluetooth stuff) a Marantz model too. Otherwise you could just get an AirPort Express ($75 refurbished in the US) or perhaps this third party thing to get AirPlay on any amp/receiver setup.

Vykk Draygo
Nov 26, 2005

Let's Do This.
I recently decided to plan on purchasing my first real home theater set up. I just wanted to see what you guys thought/suggest before I actually spend all my money.

First of all I will mainly use this to watch movies and listening to some music while I work. Mostly movies though, and I am not an audiophile, I just like things to sound nice. The room is 23'x12' but the actual viewing area is 14'x12'. I based most of my findings on reviews and cnet as well.

Sony STR-1050 7.2 Channel Hi-Res 4K AV Receiver (Built-in Wi-fi & Bluetooth)

Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Package

Again, I've never bought anything like this before, but I just wanted to know if this would fair well for what I am wanting to do and to see if you guys had any input before I made a move. Thanks

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That receiver may be overkill for your requirements, and there are cheaper ones out there.

The thread generally recommend against packaged systems/speakers. Also, ask yourself to remember: when has surround sound noticeably improved my viewing experience? Similar question for table rattling base?

If one or both are "I can't say", you may consider spending an equivalent on just a front speaker pair (or the front pair plus a center channel).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That speaker package isn't a HTIB, though, it is a set of the Andrew Jones designed Pioneers that get recommended a lot as good budget speakers. I think it would be a nice set, perhaps with the exception of the sub. I'm sorta anti-sony, but that looks like a nice receiver.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Does having a second sub really help that much? I was considering it (Bic America F12) because I have a pretty open floorplan, Living room opens directly to the kitchen/dining area with no door/wall to speak of, and an open hallway the other direction. It's "loud" enough, what exactly will it improve?

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 22, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes, it well help, but you'll have to experiment with the placement.

The reason for multiple subs is not increased volume, but to even out the room response. Done right, it makes the sweet spot for bass response much larger.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Infinity Primus Floorstanding Speaker for $99

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My denon died and the dude in the repair shop (I only found out these details after it was trashed) said it's broken forever... but he also didn't look at it and said "denon receivers break and they suck so get another receiver".

Oh well I need to get another receiver. So I found out this article http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-receiver/, and saw it sells for 400bux on accessories for less. Is it good or is it one of these receivers with weird firmware problems?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is there some sort of simple channel troubleshooting I could run on my plain old sound bar? I hated the sound on my flat TV so I got a Polk N1. But I'm still having similar issues as I first did, which is basically a complete imbalance of sound channels. As far as I can tell, the stuff I'm playing should only be stereo but I can barely hear voices without having them drowned out by music. I've tried every dumb surround mode on the N1, fiddled with all the settings on the TV and nothing seems to be doing it. I wonder if it might be the Chromecast, or Netflix, or Plex, I have no idea but it's driving me nuts.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
After "power on/off" and "check your cables", the next one is "check your audio input/output". If your sound bar is connected as L+R speaker channel and your system is outputting 5.1, you are only going to hear the front left and right audio.

Either everything is hooked up and in the right mode, but you don't like the massive dynamic range of modern motion pictures; or, your system is assuming you have a center channel and your speakers are hooked up as left and right only... I think.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Whats the current mid range amp of choice? Im looking for a new one but has been out of touch for a while. Was tempted with Onkyos but seem to have build quality issues and run hot. Other stuff seems to have a load of HDMI handshaking stuff.

Only need 5.1 as I have no interest in adding more speakers. 4k and up-scaling type future proofing would be nice so im not buying again in a few years.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

After "power on/off" and "check your cables", the next one is "check your audio input/output". If your sound bar is connected as L+R speaker channel and your system is outputting 5.1, you are only going to hear the front left and right audio.

This is what I meant by "fiddled with all the settings". Netflix for instance says it's using a stereo track, but it certainly sounds like it's being output as surround anyway, with voices being stifled into a nonexistent centre channel. It's not like I can plug it differently, it's TOSLINK only.

I suppose I could try playing one of those surround test videos and see if the levels I'm hearing when it's outputting "centre" are comparable to what I'm getting.

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy
Years ago I made the mistake of buying a cheap Onkyo HTiB but it was my first home theater system so I didn't have a better reference point. The receiver has since died and I replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V675. Now one of the fronts has busted and I'm looking for much better floor speakers. I see Amazon has Polk Monitor 75t for 170 each today - are they a solid choice at that price? I use this setup for movies, games, and music, so I don't think higher tier bookshelf speakers as fronts would be a better option.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jan posted:

This is what I meant by "fiddled with all the settings". Netflix for instance says it's using a stereo track, but it certainly sounds like it's being output as surround anyway, with voices being stifled into a nonexistent centre channel. It's not like I can plug it differently, it's TOSLINK only.

I suppose I could try playing one of those surround test videos and see if the levels I'm hearing when it's outputting "centre" are comparable to what I'm getting.

You are probably just realizing how crappy soundbars can be.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

You are probably just realizing how crappy soundbars can be.

But this isn't a cheap crappy soundbar (as far as soundbars go) and has actually been recommended in this thread?

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 6, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jan posted:

But this isn't a cheap crappy soundbar (as far as soundbars go) and has actually been recommended in this thread?

Theres a number of reviews on amazon with your same issues, basically its designed for gaming it seems voices in movies and tv get muffled or hard to hear.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Theres a number of reviews on amazon with your same issues, basically its designed for gaming it seems voices in movies and tv get muffled or hard to hear.

I've seen those as well and I suspect it's a channel mismatch that can attributed to user error, hence my trying to troubleshoot. It's not like video games are a special case that doesn't output surround or stereo, there should be no reason games would work better or worse than video. But yeah, it's true that that this sound bar, lacking a display of sorts, pretty much conveys zero information, which doesn't help troubleshooting. If it could just at least say what kind of input it's getting, that'd likely clear up most of the confusion.

Anyway, I seem to have solved the Plex part of the equation -- even though the Chromecast is plugged into this stereo setup, it seems like Plex still sends surround AAC when available. This thread has a config change that I did to have Plex forcibly downmix surround AAC to stereo. That already makes for a vast improvement, I'll have to start noting which shows cause issues on Netflix and try to figure out that side of things.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Jan posted:

I'll have to start noting which shows cause issues on Netflix and try to figure out that side of things.

Are there no settings for the soundbar? Even though netflix says it's a stereo track, it's probably dolby prologic encoded which your soundbar will treat as surround unless you specifically set it to stereo (at least that's how it works on a normal receiver, I've never hosed with soundbars).

edit: nevermind I just looked up the polk N1. I wouldn't expect anything with a "halo" mode button to sound worth a poo poo. That said, the reviews seem to say that music mode is the best for hearing dialogue.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 6, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The very fact that the Polk N1 was created leads me to avoid Polk in the future if I have a choice.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Gunuku posted:

Years ago I made the mistake of buying a cheap Onkyo HTiB but it was my first home theater system so I didn't have a better reference point. The receiver has since died and I replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V675. Now one of the fronts has busted and I'm looking for much better floor speakers. I see Amazon has Polk Monitor 75t for 170 each today - are they a solid choice at that price? I use this setup for movies, games, and music, so I don't think higher tier bookshelf speakers as fronts would be a better option.

Those look good, never listened to them. The Andrew Jones speakers are worth a look as well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've recommended the Polk N1. I used the normal "flat" or "movie" modes for everything and it works great. The issue he's having with it likely isn't because of the soundbar. If he couldn't hear voices correctly from the TV, and then plugged in the soundbar and still can't hear them, it's likely the fault of the TV. Try the soundbar on someone else's TV and see what happens.

As for the Halo and Forza tie-ins, they're just EQ settings for FPS games and Driving games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

So I can get a free pair of JBL LS60 floor standers from work if I want them. I don't really have enough space for them in my apartment and they're really heavy and a pain in the rear end to carry home. Someone convince me to take them, please.