Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Related: let's say you have an enchantment in play that gives all creatures without flying -2/-2. Does the manifested card die as a state-based action before Cloudform gets attached to it?

edit: 704.4 says no. Okay then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

No Friend of Gravity posted:

Related: let's say you have an enchantment in play that gives all creatures without flying -2/-2. Does the manifested card die as a state-based action before Cloudform gets attached to it?

I think the answer is no, SBEs aren't checked in the middle of the resolution of an ability and I don't think the manifest/attach is all one ability.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Anyone have experience with Abzan Aggro?

I built the list like a month ago and hadn't really played it. I tested a bunch today before game-day and it seemed kind of bad, and then today at Game Day it lost every match. Did the meta just change and get pretty hostile towards it? Seemed like the mana made it pretty slow, and then people start slamming down Stormbreath Dragons and Elspeths and you're dropping 2/2's for 2.

Maybe I was too aggressive getting rid of blockers? I didn't get to play a single Siege Rhino either, which seems bad.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

This brings back memories of when I was first getting back into the game around Alara block. Made a comment to a store owner that I was "more of a casual player, not going to drop $50 on some super-competitive deck :v: :v: :v:"

Magic is expensive.

I started around alara block too and god, the sound of "dude I can sell you these 4 hierarchs for 20 quid for your bant jank deck" and me replying "no way, I just started, I don't have that much cash to throw about" echoes in my mind to this day. Guy kept them and sold them for £130 very recently on ebay. Suuuuucks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Samael posted:

I started around alara block too and god, the sound of "dude I can sell you these 4 hierarchs for 20 quid for your bant jank deck" and me replying "no way, I just started, I don't have that much cash to throw about" echoes in my mind to this day. Guy kept them and sold them for £130 very recently on ebay. Suuuuucks.
I have a better one: "Who would spend $10 on a Force of Will? That's crazy!"

Oh, if I could go back in time. I would have bought that dude's whole collection.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Anyone have experience with Abzan Aggro?

I built the list like a month ago and hadn't really played it. I tested a bunch today before game-day and it seemed kind of bad, and then today at Game Day it lost every match. Did the meta just change and get pretty hostile towards it? Seemed like the mana made it pretty slow, and then people start slamming down Stormbreath Dragons and Elspeths and you're dropping 2/2's for 2.

Maybe I was too aggressive getting rid of blockers? I didn't get to play a single Siege Rhino either, which seems bad.

Depends on what build you're playing. I'm still playing it and still winning my weekly FNMs with it. The RW matchup is tough, but not unbeatable if you sideboard correctly.

Note I'm not playing the build with Heir of the Wilds or Wardens.

Also yeah, if you never drew Siege Rhino then I can see why the deck seems bad to you, but also maybe you didn't test quite enough if you literally never cast one in any of the games.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh, if I could go back in time. I would have bought that dude's whole collection.

I had the opposite experience.

2007 me: "Doubling season is so frickin' cool I'll buy a playset on ebay for $15"
One 6 year break from magic later:
2013 Me: "Holy poo poo these things are worth $25 apiece now?"

I also got a full playset of all commons and uncommons from Future Sight for $70, which contained goodies like 4x Aven Mindcensor, Dryad Arbor, and Tolaria West. Didn't really profit much on it, but I at least made the money back with those 3 playsets alone.

I did stupidly trade a foil Sword of Fire and Ice for something else (don't even remember what I got) around the same time and I still kick myself for that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yawgmoth posted:

"I could spend my entire 9 years of savings ($400) on that Alpha Black Lotus. But I could also buy Shadows of the Empire."

Stupid 9-year-old me. At least 12-year-old me bought a box of Unglued instead of whatever terrible set was out at the time.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

qbert posted:

Depends on what build you're playing. I'm still playing it and still winning my weekly FNMs with it. The RW matchup is tough, but not unbeatable if you sideboard correctly.

Note I'm not playing the build with Heir of the Wilds or Wardens.

Also yeah, if you never drew Siege Rhino then I can see why the deck seems bad to you, but also maybe you didn't test quite enough if you literally never cast one in any of the games.

I saw the Rhino in testing just not in 3 rounds of Game Day.

I lost to UW Control, Abzan Midrange, and a Temur ramp deck. Deck didn't feel like it was bad per say it just seemed too slow for an aggro deck and not powerful enough to play midrange. Rakshasa/Lion into Anazfenza was about as good as it got for aggressive starts, and when they have coursers/caryatids/mana dorks to chump block you just can't count down from 20 before they can start dropping creatures you can't deal with. If the game made it past Turn 5 it started feeling really bad, playing Fleecemane Lion/Rakshasa when your opponent is dropping Stormbreath's, Surrak's and Sarkhans is not a great place to be.

I see the deck still posts results. I guess I'm just bad at Magic.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 14, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yawgmoth posted:

I heard a story of early 90's Magic players making bets where the loser had to buy a duel land, because spending $5 on a land was seen as such a silly thing to do.

My personal changing-value story is that I once traded a Scavenging Ooze for four Goblin Guides.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Chamale posted:

I heard a story of early 90's Magic players making bets where the loser had to buy a duel land, because spending $5 on a land was seen as such a silly thing to do.

My personal changing-value story is that I once traded a Scavenging Ooze for four Goblin Guides.

While nowhere near as amazingly valued, I managed to get 2 Thoughtseizes and a Courser of Kruphix for a single Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker shortly after Khans came out (when he was suddenly worth $45 on SCG for like 2-3 days).

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Trading overpriced new releases for solid playables/eternal staples is pretty much how I've managed to pay for my entire collection.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
So I've been playing at my LGS for about a year. I bring my son who's almost 4 with me and he just sits next to me and watches cartoons on Netflix. The owners kid is usually in the store too and other people sometimes bring theirs. Today I was playing against someone who said gently caress pretty much every other word. I asked him if he wouldn't mind keeping it clean around my kid and he pretty much ignored me. Am I wrong for asking him to knock it off? I get that he's paying to be there and play too but I don't think its a super unreasonable request and I wouldn't dream of being vulgar around a toddler.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

morning wood posted:

So I've been playing at my LGS for about a year. I bring my son who's almost 4 with me and he just sits next to me and watches cartoons on Netflix. The owners kid is usually in the store too and other people sometimes bring theirs. Today I was playing against someone who said gently caress pretty much every other word. I asked him if he wouldn't mind keeping it clean around my kid and he pretty much ignored me. Am I wrong for asking him to knock it off? I get that he's paying to be there and play too but I don't think its a super unreasonable request and I wouldn't dream of being vulgar around a toddler.

It's not an unreasonable request but if the store owner doesn't have a problem with it you are out of luck.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

The Wicked Wall posted:

While nowhere near as amazingly valued, I managed to get 2 Thoughtseizes and a Courser of Kruphix for a single Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker shortly after Khans came out (when he was suddenly worth $45 on SCG for like 2-3 days).

There is a guy in my playgroup that loves to get all the rares as soon as possible. I went to all three pre-releases for Theros block and made off like a bandit for trading him what ever god(s) I managed to open.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

morning wood posted:

If you're in a sanctioned event, after asking once, feel free to call a judge and explain the situation. There's a chance that the judge is the store owner & doesn't care at all, but most judges I know would give that player a stern warning about how magic is a game for players of many ages and that language isn't appropriate.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sotar posted:

It's not an unreasonable request but if the store owner doesn't have a problem with it you are out of luck.

That's not true. If your LGS owner does nothing about it then you can contact WOTC.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheTofuShop posted:

If you're in a sanctioned event, after asking once, feel free to call a judge and explain the situation.

This.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That's not true. If your LGS owner does nothing about it then you can contact WOTC.

And this. Contact a Judge, or talk to them at the store, and get the player kicked. Ignorance is not acceptable, and "aggressive, violent or abusive behaviour (physical or verbal)" is a Serious Problem at the FNM level. You are there to have fun with your son, and that stuff should NOT be tolerated.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What's a Spike that prefers a land destruction strategy? A Spike-opath.

Man, Patrick Sullivan and Cedric Phillips are just so enjoyable to listen to.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Ramos posted:

Yeah, they are great. Matthias Hunt gets a little hate but I enjoy him as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ramos posted:

I really liked that story about watching Richard Garfield get Crucible/Strip Mine locked

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sotar posted:

Yeah, they are great. Matthias Hunt gets a little hate but I enjoy him as well.

He's just not as good as Cedric or either of the Patricks. I don't think he is bad though. Certainly better than Andrew Shrout whenever they bring him in for a caster lunch break.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
SCG should lease them out for PTs.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
https://twitter.com/tnielsenart/status/566701647871885314

Totally ripped, MILF of Runes artist, now a married woman. :kimchi:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

redstormpopcorn posted:

https://twitter.com/tnielsenart/status/566701647871885314

Totally ripped, MILF of Runes artist, now a married woman. :kimchi:

I don't really have more to say other than :kimchi:
Terese Nielsen is loving rad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've been following today's open sporadically but there seems to be soooo much green. More than usual anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Chapin's podcast was really fantasic this week. Very good insight on how he thinks about building a deck... Even a deck thst doesn't have much success.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

mcmagic posted:

Chapin's podcast was really fantasic this week. Very good insight on how he thinks about building a deck... Even a deck thst doesn't have much success.

According to him, he got no sleep the night before and played horribly all day after the adrenaline he was coasting on for the draft portion wore off. I kind of want to try it now that I know he didn't necessarily go 0-5 with it due to the deck being bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

I've been following today's open sporadically but there seems to be soooo much green. More than usual anyway.

Nykthos Green is still a thing. It now has Ugin to ramp into and Whisperwood Elemental as bonus value / wrath insurance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:nyoron:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
His genitals have protection from everything

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

It's nice to see his girlfriend posing with the card.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

BJPaskoff posted:

Got a list? I haven't seen a list I liked for a mono-red deck, and since mono-red's not my usual archetype, I'm lost on how to build it.

Here you go. Future changes are mostly a Chain Lightning to replace the Firebolt. When I run the deck, I like to put the Reverberate in maindeck purely for the chance at occasional comedy copying of an enemy spell

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

kizudarake posted:

:iceburn:

Anyone else have a messed up game day shipment at their stores? We got more rares than uncommons.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

kizudarake posted:

:drat:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

mcmagic posted:

Link?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

http://www.toplevelpodcast.com/

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
Went to my first game day with Temur ascendancy combo and ended up winning only one match. Lost to a Jeskai tempo/burn, UB control, GB constellation, and Abzan. Won the match against GR devotion. I don't think it helps that the cards I needed to finish my deck didn't get here until 2 days before due to the weather in the northeast, so I didn't have a chance to play test.

All that being said, I had a really good time with it. Got to combo off a couple times and there were some games that were very close but my opponent just had the right removal. Now I'm working on figuring out all of the different lines of play and how to sideboard better (including when to take out the combo for straight ramp/beatdown).

With a little more practice I think I could stand a decent chance at FNM going forward.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My LGS had two game day events back-to-back and I placed 6th, then 4th, with this new Mardu Warriors/Tokens hybrid that's very resistant to most mass removal but weak against other token decks. Coincidentally, all my losses were against either some form of Jeskai Tokens or R/W Tokens. Has pretty solid matchups against Midrange and Whip, though it seems like a lot of folks weren't playing them much this time around. A lot of people poo poo on Mardu Strike Leader initially but eventually started hating it when it dashed out randomly depending on the kinds of openings they would leave themselves at. It has some pretty explosive plays but it's inconsistent as hell, but nonetheless fun. Gonna keep tweaking this and playtesting it at FNM for the foreseeable future.

Also pulled two Monastery Mentors and a Tasigur out of my prize packs for the day so it's been a good time all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

qbert posted:

I haven't played much Sligh during this particular Standard, so rather than giving you iffy advice I'll instead just post what the man himself, Tom Ross, recommends via a Premium SCG article from last week.

Creatures (20)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Mardu Scout
4 Monastery Swiftspear

Lands (22)
22 Mountain

Spells (18)
2 Outpost Siege
2 Lightning Strike
3 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Wild Slash
4 Hordeling Outburst

Sideboard
1 Outpost Siege
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
1 Searing Blood
1 Wild Slash
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Peak Eruption
2 Scouring Sands
1 Temple of Malice

Edit: Anecdotally, two decks in the Top 8 of the PPTQ I attended last weekend were Mono-R Aggro, so I think it's fair to say the deck still has some gas.
I tried this (with a worse sideboard since I'm missing a bunch of cards) and went 4-1 at a game day, losing only to the guy who came first. It seems pretty great against most decks, although the complete shutout games don't exactly make you popular. The main things I had issues with were Wingmate Roc (I lost both games in the match I lost to them) and some big green stuff like Knuckleblade and, strangely enough, Surrak.

I'm up two Tasigur's and an Ugin over the gameday period though so I think I'm good

• Locked thread