Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Bengay-ze? Was that when 4 US ambassadors were drown in medicated cream by terrorists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jeb comes up with a foolproof way to avoid those tricky "gotcha" questions about Iraq and Afghanistan:

quote:

Asked at a news conference here Friday about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and how he would have handled them differently, Bush said, "I won't talk about the past. I'll talk about the future."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jesus christ, Hillary's got some seriously tough skin

I mean, she must've known this was the treatment she'd get, and she's not even running yet. Who goes through this kind of poo poo voluntarily?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In the future, which is all I'll talk about, Social Security has been made extra super solvent for a hundred years by Republicans. America has an annual cotton candy festival with a Castroless Cuba and Canada has legally acknowledge the superiority of American Rules Football. This fine future, which will be the focus of my campaign, is truly a wonderland.

V. Illych L. posted:

I mean, she must've known this was the treatment she'd get, and she's not even running yet. Who goes through this kind of poo poo voluntarily?

If it was easy everyone would run. There's got to be dire costs before you get to play with gas and economy levers in the Oval Office and threaten to annihilate your enemies with nuclear fire.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 14, 2015

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

She's been living under more or less constant bombardment from the right wing noise machine for longer than some college graduates have been alive

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Jeb comes up with a foolproof way to avoid those tricky "gotcha" questions about Iraq and Afghanistan:

Found a leaked practice run of his upcoming campaign announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6H14gVWjM

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

Yeah if the incessant poo poo she gets from the right, who have hated her basically as long as she's been prominent, hasn't stopped her yet it never will.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

So when does a wise old baboon come and beat him over the head with a stick?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

V. Illych L. posted:

She's been getting bagged on ever since she dared to suggest fixing healthcare in the 90s. She's used to it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nintendo Kid posted:

She's been getting bagged on ever since she dared to suggest fixing healthcare in the 90s. She's used to it.
Yeah, I think one of the issues the right is going to have is that they have literally been blaring HATE HILLARY CLINTON for twenty-four years. It's background noise.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I think one of the issues the right is going to have is that they have literally been blaring HATE HILLARY CLINTON for twenty-four years. It's background noise.

It's not so much that, as they already built maximum hate for her in the populace susceptible to hating her. Everybody else figured out whether they liked her or hated her by now, which is something sort of unique in recent candidates.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not so much that, as they already built maximum hate for her in the populace susceptible to hating her. Everybody else figured out whether they liked her or hated her by now, which is something sort of unique in recent candidates.

My hope for the 2016 campaign is that the GOP gets so ugly that they start chasing away women in general, as they have with every other demographic group identified with their opponents for the last 40 years.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

My hope for the 2016 campaign is that the GOP gets so ugly that they start chasing away women in general, as they have with every other demographic group identified with their opponents for the last 40 years.

That's already happening. The overall number of women supporting GOP nonsense has been decreasing and shows no signs of recovery.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deteriorata posted:

Binders full of women and the constant assault on their reproductive rights/earning potential/insert gendered issue here is already doing this

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Swagger Dagger posted:

Binders full of women and the constant assault on their reproductive rights/earning potential/insert gendered issue here is already doing this

Women were only D+4 in November (51D/47R). I'm hopeful that gap can be driven to double digits or more in 2016.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The midterms are meaningless for overall trends considering how severely every single Democratic demographic's tunrout was depleted. Hell, they managed 10% of the black vote, instead of their usual 0.02%, simply cause of so few black voters.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Going with the Bill Belichick method I see...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fulchrum posted:

The midterms are meaningless for overall trends considering how severely every single Democratic demographic's tunrout was depleted. Hell, they managed 10% of the black vote, instead of their usual 0.02%, simply cause of so few black voters.

Maybe the black vote is just finally realizing that the Party of Lincoln is the one trying to save them from the real racists in the Democrat Party.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

We're onto New Hampshire.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Enh, once you've personally capped a Deputy White House Counsel and gotten away with it, it gets a lot easier to brush off attacks from the right I suppose.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

How is an election that was affected by depleted turnout (even moreso than a typical midterm) meaningless for overall trends? Those Dem core constituencies didn't show up to vote for a reason.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

OctoberBlues posted:

I'd say this is rather more the Mark McGwire method: http://edition.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/03/17/steroids.baseball/

Also I'd note that the choice of "Ballghazi" as the name for the deflated ball thing is meant to be indicative that it's only a scandal for a very select group of people.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Skeesix posted:

I'd say this is rather more the Mark McGwire method: http://edition.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/03/17/steroids.baseball/

Also I'd note that the choice of "Ballghazi" as the name for the deflated ball thing is meant to be indicative that it's only a scandal for a very select group of people.

Or the Barack Obama method: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/us/politics/12inquire.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Bush already got a free pass on Iraq from everyone who had the power to do something about it so Jeb has plenty of cover to do the exact same thing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This idea came to me from one of the movie threads as they are making a movie about Andrew Jackson, but America hasn't hit rock bottom till a modern candidate defends the Trail of Tears.

So everyone can look forward to that

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

10% of the black vote was actually historically (so 80s to 06) much closer to the norm than the <2% they had been getting in the Obama elections. It probably won't be in the future though.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

This idea came to me from one of the movie threads as they are making a movie about Andrew Jackson, but America hasn't hit rock bottom till a modern candidate defends the Trail of Tears.

Christian homeschool textbooks already teach that the Trail of Tears was a good thing for Native Americans because so many of them gave their lives to Christ.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
most of the native americans i know are either baptists or belong to black churches because they're black, except one dude who's decided to become a messianic jew

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

10% of the black vote was actually historically (so 80s to 06) much closer to the norm than the <2% they had been getting in the Obama elections. It probably won't be in the future though.

In the 80's through 06, you didn't have a party that could list "being the most obstructionist and bitter opposition in US history to the first black president" in their history.

sbaldrick posted:

They also made movies about Hitler, Stalin and the people who invented Disco. A biopic is not an approval of what a man did.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

How is an election that was affected by depleted turnout (even moreso than a typical midterm) meaningless for overall trends? Those Dem core constituencies didn't show up to vote for a reason.

I mean its wrong in terms of saying a significant number of women are coming to the Republican party, instead it says that the pool of women who voted in that election severely shrunk, and thus the Republican die-hards counted for a greater percentage. Which considering this was a histoircally low voter turnout election, and considering the next will probably have historically high female turnout, means that yes, it kinda is meaningless.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

How significant is the Hispanic vote to the primaries now? Is Rubio representative enough, and/or the Republicans clueless on how to appeal to that demographic? Are the Democrats much better? Is my intuition that they are and the Republicans useless good enough or is it more complicated?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think Jeb is more likely to get a larger pecrcentage of the Hispanic vote in a Republican primary than REubio, owing the the formers actual achievements in things Hispanics care about, other than "being hispanic". THe question is if the much larger white racist aspect doesn't eat him alive for it first.

Its hugely unlikely anyones opinion will really matter in the Democrats primary, since only one person wants to run, but in the general, Democrats can and do appeal to hispanics relatively well. Obama has made a lot of far more than token efforts to address the things that matter to hispanics, even with Congresses overwhelming sabotage, and the very blatantly partisan and racist obstructionism by Republicans makes the party distinction pretty clear.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NBC/Marist has polls of NH, IA, and SC.

IA
Huck 17
Bush 16
Walker 15
Christie 9
Rand 7

NH
Bush 18
Walker 15
Rand 14
Christie 13

SC
Graham 17 :siren:
Bush 15
Walker 12
Huck/Carson 10

The Lindsay Graham train is leaving the station and it's time to hop on board - you don't want to be left behind!

And general election matchups are mostly boring because Hillary is way ahead in both NH and IA but:

SC
Hillary 45
Bush 48

Hillary 46
Walker 46

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Wow, Walker can't even beat Clinton in SC right now. I know it doesn't mean a whole lot, but still. People responding to the poll know it means nothing, and yet they're still saying like, "naw, son, let's be real."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

One point does not make a trend.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ewe2 posted:

How significant is the Hispanic vote to the primaries now? Is Rubio representative enough, and/or the Republicans clueless on how to appeal to that demographic? Are the Democrats much better? Is my intuition that they are and the Republicans useless good enough or is it more complicated?

Very little. Turnout in primaries is very, very low and very, very white, particularly in Republican primaries. Here are some points for comparison from the place where the Hispanic vote is likely to matter most in the Republican primaries:

Votes for Mitt Romney in the Florida Presidential general election, 2012: 4,163,447
Votes for Rick Scott in the Gubernatorial election, 2014: 2,865,343
Total votes in the Republican Presidential primary in Florida, 2012: 1,672,634

And that's pretty impressive turnout for a primary election!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wow. For Hillary to be even within 5 points of the leading GOP contenders in loving South Carolina has to have the bigwigs in the GOP making GBS threads their pants.

I'm sure they will have no problem ultimately winning the state in the general election, but that kind of number is a pretty lovely indicator of how the general election will go, and it suggests she will likely win important states like VA pretty easily.

No wonder they are working their anti Hillary angles so hard right now.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Christian homeschool textbooks already teach that the Trail of Tears was a good thing for Native Americans because so many of them gave their lives to Christ.

My cynicism basically knows no bounds, but the little spark of hope left in my heart refuses to believe this is true.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

richardfun posted:

My cynicism basically knows no bounds, but the little spark of hope left in my heart refuses to believe this is true.

It's true. Consult the book "Christ in the Americas" for more information.

http://www.amazon.com/Christ-And-The-Americas-Carroll/dp/0895555948

Note: This is specifically a Catholic homeschool textbook and is actually much, much 'better' than the Evangelical ones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sbaldrick posted:

Andrew Jackson's bio would make a very exciting movie. When a man tried to assassinate him, Jackson had to be pulled off the guy by bystanders. In one duel he intentionally wore baggy clothing an let the other guy shoot first so he could be sure that his aim was true to kill him. At his funeral his pet parrot had to be removed because it was constantly swearing in English and Spanish.

He wasn't a good guy, but holy poo poo was he entertaining in a 80s action movie fashion. He was an insane mix of both the 80s action villain and hero. Fighting for some of the people by almost unfathomably loving over other people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

He wasn't a good guy, but holy poo poo was he entertaining in a 80s action movie fashion. He was an insane mix of both the 80s action villain and hero. Fighting for some of the people by almost unfathomably loving over other people.

And the best part is that he was still a vast improvement on the existing status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Zwabu posted:

Wow. For Hillary to be even within 5 points of the leading GOP contenders in loving South Carolina has to have the bigwigs in the GOP making GBS threads their pants.

I'm sure they will have no problem ultimately winning the state in the general election, but that kind of number is a pretty lovely indicator of how the general election will go, and it suggests she will likely win important states like VA pretty easily.

No wonder they are working their anti Hillary angles so hard right now.

Polls said the same thing this early about O in 2012. Basically, the D vote has already coalesced and all the undecideds are Republicans who claim they want to "wait and see" but are just gonna vote for the white guy Republican no matter what.

• Locked thread