Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Yall just jelly that I'm living in The Wizard.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Bean posted:

So I bought a copy of Majora's Mask off eBay, and an expansion pack too. I can't get the game to boot. The thing is, I can get other games to boot, which means that the n64 itself is working and I believe the expansion pack works too. If it didn't, I couldn't load anything, correct? From what I can tell, if the cartridge was good and the pack was bad, Majora's Mask would boot to a screen telling me I needed an expansion pack.

I already tried isopropyl alcohol and a qtip, but the thing was barely dirty. Before I rip the seller a new one, what else should I try?

Brasso or some other type of metal polish for the pins is a good next step. Opening the cart to get a better look at the pins for corrosion/damage as well as getting a better clean is a good idea.
You could also try to clean the pin connector.
Clean the expansion pak/dust out that slot as well.

Also try running it with a jumper pak (not expansion pak) to see if it boots to the message. I don't know much about the expansion pak but it's possible if that's damaged and the cart can't pass some check in the memory that non-expansion pak games don't access, it won't boot.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New doujindance PC Engine Duo-R is up. A little pricier than usual.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-RX-S-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens-/201287901799?ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

It's a Duo-RX. Because they're more scarce and it has the RX controller it's pricier

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

It's a Duo-RX. Because they're more scarce and it has the RX controller it's pricier

doujindance doesn't usually include the RGB cable either.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

so, i've been using the slim ps2 with ps1 controllers and memory cards and they work fine. i plugged in a ps2 controller and memory card and the system isn't recognizing the memory card at all and on the controller, the up and left buttons on the d--pad aren't recognized. is this a known issue with the slim ps2? i've gone through all my ps1 controllers and memory cards and they work fine. cleaned the ps2 controller thoroughly before using it with the system, tried cleaning the connectors on the console and the controller in question with canned air and a toothbrush with alcohol. google turned up nothing.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 15, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

flyboi posted:

Inside the 32x there's a few ribbon cables that plugs into a board. He's saying unplug and plug it back in.

Those white cables are what he's talking about.

roffels posted:

Looks like someone else elaborated (I was phone posting) but this site: http://sonic-cult.org/articles/32x/ helped me when I had issues with my 32x. It's been a while since I've had one, but reseating that cable/cables fixed things up.

This is from like ten days ago, but thanks, you guys. 32X working. Since I can only get it working on top of MD2+CD combo, I now have three huge AC adapters connected and a monstrosity of cables coming out of the thing. It is a sight to behold.

The 32X truly is the thing to show how hosed up things were in Sega in those days, in more ways than one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

liquid courage posted:

so, i've been using the slim ps2 with ps1 controllers and memory cards and they work fine. i plugged in a ps2 controller and memory card and the system isn't recognizing the memory card at all and on the controller, the up and left buttons on the d--pad aren't recognized. is this a known issue with the slim ps2? I've gone through all my ps1 controllers and memory cards and they work fine. cleaned the ps2 controller thoroughly before using it with the system, tried cleaning the connectors on the console and the controller in question with canned air and a toothbrush with alcohol. figured this would be the place to ask.

sounds like a problem with your ps2 controller, since the outer buttons (like the left part of the dpad) are always the first to go with those.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Saoshyant posted:

This is from like ten days ago, but thanks, you guys. 32X working. Since I can only get it working on top of MD2+CD combo, I now have three huge AC adapters connected and a monstrosity of cables coming out of the thing. It is a sight to behold.

The 32X truly is the thing to show how hosed up things were in Sega in those days, in more ways than one.

Congrats! It's amazing how alien the thing looks with all of the cords coming off of it. Like it's some kind of parasitic insect leeching off of the Genesis.

I just got one too. Well... sorta. I bought a lot of untested Genesis stuff cheap and it had a 32X with it. It works but there's a high pitched squeal no matter which system I try it in, and I've tried in multiple Genny model 1s and one model 2. Also tried using different AC adapter to no avail. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

Just FYI, the 32X in a CDX is the optimal way to do things, far more compact and it all still works.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just FYI, the 32X in a CDX is the optimal way to do things, far more compact and it all still works.

Good luck getting a CDX though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

But the audio isn't perfect. :spergin:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nintendo Kid posted:

The_Frag_Man posted:

Good luck getting a CDX though.

I actually do have a CDX! That's why I mentioned that I can only get it working on the MD2+CD combo. The 32X requires a piece of plastic to get a proper grip on the MD2, but this piece does not make it grip properly on the CDX. According to the manual, there is a specific piece of plastic for the CDX, but hell if I know where to find it. I think at this point it will be easier to find the bridge cable to connect it to my MD1 and just have it sitting there.

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Have you looked at the guide I quoted above? Apparently reseating those dumb ribbon cables inside fixes most of the issues with video/audio output.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

I actually do have a CDX! That's why I mentioned that I can only get it working on the MD2+CD combo. The 32X requires a piece of plastic to get a proper grip on the MD2, but this piece does not make it grip properly on the CDX. According to the manual, there is a specific piece of plastic for the CDX, but hell if I know where to find it. I think at this point it will be easier to find the bridge cable to connect it to my MD1 and just have it sitting there.

When I had mine, I just stuck the metal shield things in and balanced it in the back with some paper.

raven4267
May 7, 2009
I finally managed to get my childhood NES and SNES games from my parents house. Unfortunately all the boxes and most of the instruction books have either been lost or thrown away over the years. Some of the SNES games still have my saves on them, most notably Final Fantasy 3. I was real excited to see those saves still on there when I loaded it up. I was thinking about buying some more games, but after looking at the prices of things I think I might just buy a couple of flash carts. Here are some pics of my haul. The NES cart with no label is Swordmaster, which I don't even remember owning.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

raven4267 posted:

I finally managed to get my childhood NES and SNES games from my parents house. Unfortunately all the boxes and most of the instruction books have either been lost or thrown away over the years. Some of the SNES games still have my saves on them, most notably Final Fantasy 3. I was real excited to see those saves still on there when I loaded it up. I was thinking about buying some more games, but after looking at the prices of things I think I might just buy a couple of flash carts. Here are some pics of my haul. The NES cart with no label is Swordmaster, which I don't even remember owning.

I did the same thing recently and its funny how often that happens. Like how in the hell did I end up with three copies of Burgertime?

And that is a seriously great collection.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So it appears that I'll be on Austin for two weeks starting the week after next. Anything happening or any cool stores I should check out?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

It's beautiful. I wish I had more SNES games, I have both the EU and US versions but not that many games for each. It's just so expensive importing US games and local prices are really high right now. I also want to start a NES collection but honestly I don't see it being worthwhile with the current local prices. Just getting a hold of a cheap NES and a solid flashcart might be the way to go, even though I love owning and collecting games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

raven4267 posted:

The NES cart with no label is Swordmaster, which I don't even remember owning.
Swordmaster was the first video game I owned, along with Super Mario Bros. :3:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bolverkur posted:

It's beautiful. I wish I had more SNES games, I have both the EU and US versions but not that many games for each. It's just so expensive importing US games and local prices are really high right now. I also want to start a NES collection but honestly I don't see it being worthwhile with the current local prices. Just getting a hold of a cheap NES and a solid flashcart might be the way to go, even though I love owning and collecting games.

What are the importing expenses and local pricing where you're at, if you don't mind saying so? I find it interesting to hear about this, especially if it's for a place that might be considered a bit outside the usual retrogaming areas.

Doc Morbid posted:

Swordmaster was the first video game I owned, along with Super Mario Bros. :3:

This suddenly makes me wonder if anyone knows what the first "fancy" label NES game was? That is, not the black boxes with pixel art like Kung Fu or 10 Yard Fight or whatever, but something with actual pen/ink/paint art.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 16, 2015

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What are the importing expenses and local pricing where you're at, if you don't mind saying so? I find it interesting to hear about this, especially if it's for a place that might be considered a bit outside the usual retrogaming areas.

This suddenly makes me wonder if anyone knows what the first "fancy" label NES game was? That is, not the black boxes with pixel art like Kung Fu or 10 Yard Fight or whatever, but something with actual pen/ink/paint art.

Tag Team Wrestling.
Chubby Cherub and MUSCLE wrestling were released at the same time, but have screen shots of the game as well as a drawing of the title character.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Have you looked at the guide I quoted above? Apparently reseating those dumb ribbon cables inside fixes most of the issues with video/audio output.

I cannot believe that worked. I opened it up and barely even touched the cable, just pushing it so the connection was a teensy bit firmer. So hooray, I now own a 32X! Alternately, oh god I now own a 32X :stonk:

Now I just need games for it. Which one is the good one?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quiet Feet posted:

I cannot believe that worked. I opened it up and barely even touched the cable, just pushing it so the connection was a teensy bit firmer. So hooray, I now own a 32X! Alternately, oh god I now own a 32X :stonk:

Kolibri.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Replaced the batteries in Breath of Fire and Crystalis. Crystalis kept its saves, Breath of Fire didn't. The latter didn't bother me because I never did much with that game.

Funny how both games that managed to keep their saves were both ones I already owned, and had previously completed.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Codiekitty posted:

Funny how both games that managed to keep their saves were both ones I already owned, and had previously completed.

They had more love in them. :shobon:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Quiet Feet posted:

if you have a sega cd

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

if you have a sega cd

Haha, now I have to go see how many Sega CD 32X games Sega conned people into making. I can't imagine a smaller target market.

Edit: The answer was 6.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 16, 2015

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

WHAT IS THIS, A SEGA FOR ANTS?

Dickbutts and nickel for scale.

I am cleaning up and found these somewhere. I think I ordered this in 2005.

edit: Found the manual

edit: I wish I had ordered the other collections at the time, here's a search page on Play-Asia if you want to see other tiny tiny consoles http://www.play-asia.com/paOScore/19-71-7g-15-history+collection+gashapon.html

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 16, 2015

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

if you have a sega cd

Working on it.

Chainclaw those tiny tiny Sega consoles are adorable. I want to hang them on my Christmas tree. :3:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Chainclaw posted:

edit: I wish I had ordered the other collections at the time, here's a search page on Play-Asia if you want to see other tiny tiny consoles http://www.play-asia.com/paOScore/19-71-7g-15-history+collection+gashapon.html

They're so tiny! :3: Can you slot the cartridges or are they decoration only?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

They're so tiny! :3: Can you slot the cartridges or are they decoration only?

The carts can go into the systems, same with the CDs. The controllers plug into the ports. The VMU has a little cover you can take off and put into the controller. The Dreamcast's modem is removable, the Mark III's FM unit is removable. The Genesis is connected to the Sega CD (with the protector removed), and the 32X connects to Genesis, or the Power Base if you prefer master system.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Just did a 32x SVideo mod today and it looks fantastic! When I modded my SNES 2 for SVideo (vs composite) the difference was definitely noticeable, but the 32x mod looks twice as good.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Chainclaw posted:

Those would be great made out of sugar and used as cake decorations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Chainclaw posted:

I have wanted those FOREVER. It sucks that they are insanely expensive now.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Chainclaw posted:

The carts can go into the systems, same with the CDs. The controllers plug into the ports. The VMU has a little cover you can take off and put into the controller. The Dreamcast's modem is removable, the Mark III's FM unit is removable. The Genesis is connected to the Sega CD (with the protector removed), and the 32X connects to Genesis, or the Power Base if you prefer master system.

That is an amazing attention to detail. Totally jealous here :)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The little mega drive is the best. It needs little power bricks though..

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

in general, i love the look of the master system and the mark III. so angular.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

RodShaft posted:

S-video looks pretty loving sweet.
I was surprised by how good composite looks.
I don't have the cable to test anything better. I didn't expect the projector from ebay to get here before the cable from Amazon. I look forward to updating you all on rgb and component.

It's a Mitsubishi SL2U if anyone is wondering, but I'm guessing the rgb/component test will mean more to everyone here.

That's awesome. I got an InFocus projector for $40 at Goodwill. It's not mind blowing or anything but I can hook up S-video and it looks pretty decent.

Worth the money to indulge every now and then in playing Nintendo games on a huge screen that would have blown my child mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cosmicjim posted:

Tag Team Wrestling.
Chubby Cherub and MUSCLE wrestling were released at the same time, but have screen shots of the game as well as a drawing of the title character.

Much appreciated!

It's interesting how much general leeway Nintendo seemed to let publishers have in terms of promoting the brand on box art, both in Japan and the US. No real uniform color scheme or design elements, really. Then the SNES era came along and was like "It's all divided up this way or it doesn't go on the shelf!". Though Japan got to keep its cool art!

Lifespan posted:

Just did a 32x SVideo mod today and it looks fantastic! When I modded my SNES 2 for SVideo (vs composite) the difference was definitely noticeable, but the 32x mod looks twice as good.

Good for you!

The SNES can definitely show some improvement with a better video output format, but I'd say that the Genesis and Genesis-based hardware shows a much more obvious shine with S-Video, RGB-to-component, or straight RGB video.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 16, 2015

• Locked thread