Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bort Bortles posted:

I thought Neverwinter was a much closer view and you could move around with wasd and was not Infinity Engine-like in terms of party management, while this ad makes it look like it is Infinity Engine-esque.

I wonder what version of DnD it is based off of. I would consider buying it (once i see more info on it) if it was 5th edition.

Yeah I thought the same thing about it bing more infinity engine like.

Anyway you should have scrolled down a little. There was an entire section giving some details including this

quote:

Set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe based on the fifth edition ruleset and populated with Dungeons & Dragons lore and legend

Edit: Link to what we are talking about for the new page https://swordcoast.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I thought the same thing about it bing more infinity engine like.

Anyway you should have scrolled down a little. There was an entire section giving some details including this

Edit: Link to what we are talking about for the new page https://swordcoast.com/

Oh derp, I scrolled down enough to see the pre-order info and stopped scrolling :v: Thanks :downs:

Totally going to make a (Stout) Halfling Barbarian named "Cobblepot Tendonslicer" or something silly.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Capsaicin posted:

AHHHHH WHAT THE gently caress morte didn't tell me all of what my back said :eek: that DICK.

It's my favourite gaming moment, so well-done.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bort Bortles posted:

Oh derp, I scrolled down enough to see the pre-order info and stopped scrolling :v: Thanks :downs:

I did a similar thing when checking out the preorder page. Their is another section of pre orders blow the first section.

Campaign Bundles. You can buy a pack that contains all the DM stuff along with 5 copies of the game. One for you and 4 others to gift to players that you can serve as the DM for.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Graphics wise I would say it looks much better given that I just played through Neverwitner Nights 2.

not hard since nwn2 is one of the ugliest games of it's time

Bort Bortles posted:

I thought Neverwinter was a much closer view and you could move around with wasd and was not Infinity Engine-like in terms of party management, while this ad makes it look like it is Infinity Engine-esque.

thats just semantics, i'm sure you can zoom the camera in and didn't nwn2 give you the option to play from a fixed isometric perstective?

quote:

Sword Coast Legends also brings the roleplaying dynamic between players and Dungeon Masters to life with DM Mode, a first-of-its-kind real-time experience in which Dungeon Masters guide players through unique customizable adventures.

i feel like i've stepped in a time machine

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dyna Soar posted:

thats just semantics, i'm sure you can zoom the camera in and didn't nwn2 give you the option to play from a fixed isometric perstective?
You could angle the tactical view to get an isometric angle but the free camera mode takes a lot to get used to and the size and placement of interactables encouraged you to be in over the shoulder or at an angle closer to the horizon.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

zedprime posted:

You could angle the tactical view to get an isometric angle but the free camera mode takes a lot to get used to and the size and placement of interactables encouraged you to be in over the shoulder or at an angle closer to the horizon.

i know, poo poo execution and it was clunky as hell. that's nwn2 for you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm not sure - if it did I couldnt figure it out and I gave up on the game because I could not get used to the over-the-shoulder feel, and yes it was quite ugly.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
"Sword Coast Legends" better be just a placeholder name.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
Anyone ever tried a throwing archer kit ranger in bg2?

There's a throwing axe and a dagger(the dagger isn't until underdark I think) that you could use, but I imagine it would be a mediocre gimmick at best.

I kinda want to try it though. Thoughts?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I remember many years ago reading something about BG2 unfinished ideas from the devs that never made it into the game. One that intrigued me was having Nalia eventually turn into a Lich in TOB. It sounded pretty reasonable to me since her personality between SOA and TOB was a dramatic shift. She went from naive young BG1 Imoen style, child to a "I'm loving powerful, treat me with respect" mega mage.

Wondering where I read this and if it was bullshit or not. I always wanted a D&D game where you could turn your character into a lich. I think it would be a pretty cool plot line (at least for an evil party).

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Booyah posted:

There's a throwing axe and a dagger(the dagger isn't until underdark I think) that you could use, but I imagine it would be a mediocre gimmick at best.

There's also a +3 dart on the first floor of Watcher's Keep.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Booyah posted:

Thanks, I know what I'm doing for my next run through the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pivotal Lever posted:

That would probably the way to go, you can throw a poo poo ton of darts in one round.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I remember many years ago reading something about BG2 unfinished ideas from the devs that never made it into the game. One that intrigued me was having Nalia eventually turn into a Lich in TOB. It sounded pretty reasonable to me since her personality between SOA and TOB was a dramatic shift. She went from naive young BG1 Imoen style, child to a "I'm loving powerful, treat me with respect" mega mage.

Wondering where I read this and if it was bullshit or not. I always wanted a D&D game where you could turn your character into a lich. I think it would be a pretty cool plot line (at least for an evil party).

It's not D&D, but in the roguelike Tales of Maj'Eyal AKA ToME you can undergo a ritual as a Necromancer that allows you to become a lich. It's very powerful, but requires some serious investment of skill points and undergoing some dangerous quests to meet the requirements for the ritual. The game also allows ghouls and skeletons as playable races.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Skwirl posted:

That would probably the way to go, you can throw a poo poo ton of darts in one round.

Hi, Zal! (or was it Vax?)

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Booyah posted:

One of my favorite challenge runs was an Archer 13 -> Cleric Dual class. You can only use Slings, and your melee options are kind of gimped. But you do get to pull off very weird options that no other class can manage.

Want to do 10 damage with with Magical Stone? Now you can!

Tired of enemies always saving against your weak cleric spells? Lower their saves with Called Shot sling stones before you cast!

Would you like AoE de-buffs that can't be saved against? Try Called Shot Fire Seeds!

Would you like to Strength drain enemies to death? Try Called Shot Energy Blades!

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS

Pivotal Lever posted:

Is it one of those returns to thrower weapons? My assumption is no since it's a dart but I have never played ToB. The goal of this build would be to use the axe from copper coronet and the dagger from underdark.

In bg2 regular (don't know EE) the two weapon style would benefit your thaco on the screen, but I am not sure if that was a glitch or what.

Not like it matters though as an elf ranger can get a thaco near 0/into the negatives quickly.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

You can also get a +2 returning throwing dagger at the end of Neela's quest, but you have to be high enough level to win those fights that you could just as easily have hit the Underdark early.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Booyah posted:

Is it one of those returns to thrower weapons? My assumption is no since it's a dart but I have never played ToB.

It is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've always wondered if the kensai bonuses would work for a throwing axe specced character. Throwing axe counts as axe proficiency, right? And are also str based? if both hold true, and the Kensai bonuses work for throwing axe, then a str based Kensai tossing axes would be in theory pretty diesel

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, if you want a throwing character you should go Kensai, as Archers can't get Grandmastery in daggers/axes. Though an Archer with Grandmastery in darts is surprisingly powerful as well. By the end of the game you'll have 10 attacks per round with Improved Haste, each one profiting from the Archer's extra damage and Called Shot ability. You can even equip a shield on top of that.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Is there a way to restore higher-level druid spells to the cleric/ranger multiclass in BG2:EE? I am not seeing Iron Skins where I expect it to pop up in my spells available.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Is there a way to restore higher-level druid spells to the cleric/ranger multiclass in BG2:EE? I am not seeing Iron Skins where I expect it to pop up in my spells available.

Since that was a bug fix, it's unlikely, but there may be a mod out there to do that.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 16, 2015

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Open your Baldur.ini file, and find this line;

quote:

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',

Change the 1 to a 0 and cleric/rangers should get level 4 and higher druid spells when they next level up.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 16, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Thanks a lot

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

They did? I don't remember any of the original companions having any character development at all in ToB, where are you seeing Nalia act like that?

Remember that Lich have to keep eating souls to stop themselves from turning into Demilich though - it'd be pretty annoying. Kinda like the Soul mechanic in Mask of the Betrayer.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ilyich posted:

Open your Baldur.ini file, and find this line;

Change the 1 to a 0 and cleric/rangers should get level 4 and higher druid spells when they next level up.

You'll also need to level up the ranger side or get level drained or something before it'll actually take affect.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

One that intrigued me was having Nalia eventually turn into a Lich in TOB. It sounded pretty reasonable to me since her personality between SOA and TOB was a dramatic shift. She went from naive young BG1 Imoen style, child to a "I'm loving powerful, treat me with respect" mega mage.
I disagree. To me the shift seemed from wide-eyed impractical idealist with her head in the clouds to someone more pragmatic but still determined to do good. Becoming a litch is an evil act and the process involves an alignment shift to evil since the rituals necessary to become one are pretty nasty. I thus do not see her being willing to do such a thing. Her epilogue also shows that she remained dedicated to doing good throughout her life:

quote:

Nalia grew quite powerful after her association with <CHARNAME>. Initially she traveled, learning magical lore and making influential friends, but after a year she returned to Amn and her family home of de'Arnise Hold. She found it in the control of none other than Isaea Roenal, but she was no longer the wayward child that he expected, and single-handedly brought him to justice for his indiscretions. She declared herself the inheritor of her father's ducal title, becoming a beloved ruler, respected archmage, and eventually earning a seat on the Amnish Council of Six itself. She would become a prominent figure in Amn for many years, constantly fighting for the good of the common folk and making many frustrated enemies among the nobility and Cowled Wizards both.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Torment has been squandering a lot of goodwill. Curst was unpleasant but it got worse in Curst Underground. I struggled through Curst Underground only to run out of healing supplies when I reached the prison. I had to reload and do the whole thing again. I just can't get good at this combat. I aggro with Morte and have everyone but Grace attack but unless I'm just fighting one enemy my HP level quickly drop. Thankfully I rushed through the Pillar Of Skulls and the Outlands weren't that hard.

Is there any good way of getting equipment in Torment? I'm up to Carceri and most of characters have many equipment slots empty.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did you know that you can cast buffs on your summons in IWD2? I have Greater Boneguards running around with Stoneskin, Haste, and other silly poo poo on them and am just rolling my way through the endgame. Its really loving funny to draw aggro on eeeeeevvveerrrryyyooonne with an Invincible Boneguard then have my two sorcerers and two priests of Lathander drop firebombs on everything.

DoubleCakes posted:

Is there any good way of getting equipment in Torment? I'm up to Carceri and most of characters have many equipment slots empty.

I'm in the last chapter of IWD2 now and I have open equipment slots of a bunch of my party members. I would have even more open spots if I hadnt been a packrat and kept anything that may be useful and stuck poo poo on people because they had open slots.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Been binge playing Throne of Baahl since the start of reading week. Played BG2 over Christmas. Just killed Balathazar, gonna try to power through it the rest of this night. I've been enjoying it, battling hordes of stuff is fun, but is it just me or is the writing way worse than than in BG2? It suffers way more from the "Mother Theresa vs. Hitler" moral choice dichotomy than the base game did, there's a bunch of poorly done awkward humour in dialogue choices, and the characters and dialogue in general just feel a lot more stereotypical and cringe-worthy.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 17, 2015

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Anyone know of and good Evil npc mods or mods in general for playing evil? gonna try and play bg2 evil for the first ever time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

attackmole posted:

Been binge playing Throne of Baahl since the start of reading week. Played BG2 over Christmas. Just killed Balathazar, gonna try to power through it the rest of this night. I've been enjoying it, battling hordes of stuff is fun, but is it just me or is the writing way worse than than in BG2? It suffers way more from the "Mother Theresa vs. Hitler" moral choice dichotomy than the base game did, there's a bunch of poorly done awkward humour in dialogue choices, and the characters and dialogue in general just feel a lot more stereotypical and cringe-worthy.

Yeah the writing isn't as good. There's a few good moments but not as many as in base BG2. I don't agree that the moral presentation is more black-and-white though, it was always like that, as you would expect from a setting where you can literally cast the spell "Detect Evil".

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Ehh, I swear it's a little more obnoxious in expansion, but to each their own. Feels like there's a lot more dialogue choices where you get to go "hell yeah I want to kill everyone!!!!!" or "I must defeat you evil foe you are too evil to exist under my good watchful eye!"

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

They didn't really do the looting/gear upgrading thing with Torment. The tattoo parlour is probably the closest thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Matty posted:

Anyone know of and good Evil npc mods or mods in general for playing evil? gonna try and play bg2 evil for the first ever time.

Just play evil, accept the terrible dialog and embrace being a cartoon villain. All the best NPCs are evil, though I'd recommend picking up Jan for Thief poo poo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Besides "Should've got the original!" do you guys have any suggestions before I start up Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition? I get the impression the original game wasn't designed for all these classes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Its significantly easier with dual wield and various classes yeah. Still a much better experience than the original IMO, the EE engine is such a step up from the orginal one even with the various mods.

No specific advice though, other than what applies for original IWD anyway (e.g. vanilla bards rock, you'll want a couple of crowd controllers and a couple of front liners, clerics and druids can legitimately stand on their own but still work well as multi/dualclassed warriors, you still need a thief, etc)

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Matty posted:

http://weidu.org/valen.html

Used to be my favorite evil mod, dunno if it still works. Back then she fit neatly into the "evil parties have no thieves" dilemma.