Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I got every collectable in DK64.

Yes, even the small bananas that don't actually give you anything after you get 75 of them.

I had collectathon issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The DKC games are actually really really good (with maybe the exception of DKC3). The main reason for this is that, in general, the level design is such that if you go quickly, there's a path where you can get enemies and such to line up so that you can just keep running without needing to pause for more than a second here or a second there. Watching speedruns of DKC2 is a lot of fun because of that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kurieg posted:

I got every collectable in DK64.

Yes, even the small bananas that don't actually give you anything after you get 75 of them.

I had collectathon issues.

I did this and I enjoyed every most of it. I too have collectible issues. I miss that type of game a ton even if most of them were poo poo.

At least they weren't poo poo and doing their best to be a car driving game instead, though.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Don't hate the game. Hate Beaver Bother.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 15, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
It's me. I'm the guy who 101% completed DK64 when it first came out.

I hate the game because of that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Vilemoon posted:

Its extremely telling that I remember ZERO of star fox adventures except for the test of strength or whatever it was because I remember actually having a mental breakdown from not being able to beat that.

I was.. 10? Ah, the glory years.

Trust me, Starfox Adventures has that effect on people. You only vaguely remember playing it and that you "think" you liked it. That's about it.

Gulping Again posted:

Starfox Adventures was a bad Starfox and a bad Zelda and Dinosaur Planet would have also probably been a bad Zelda too.

You know what... As much as I've rip on SFA, I don't think Dinosaur Planet would have been as bad. Even reading the development of that game a whole lot of stuff had to be just completely remade to make it "fit" with Starfox because it was Nintendo's orders. Rare was really desperate for money and I think the MS sell out happened during the development of SFA. It's not hard to see why that game was dead on arrival.

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 15, 2015

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Gulping Again posted:

My only complaints with Viva Pinata involve the tedium of breeding prey pinatas to get the interesting creatures, and that led to me tiring of it fairly quickly.

I have to say my biggest complaint with Viva Pinata is how obtuse a lot of the requirements for getting pinatas can be. Some of them make sense, sure, but after a certain point you either need a walkthrough/FAQ or sheer dumb luck, because the game provides very few hints (and I seem to remember some of the hints being misleading or just plain wrong). Maybe I'm bad at seeing the developer's logic but I know for sure some pinatas I ended up looking up how to get them to turn up because I just could not manage it and my reaction was often 'why would I think to do THAT?'
It's not the worst thing ever, but it's frustrating game design, for sure.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

GirlCalledBob posted:

I have to say my biggest complaint with Viva Pinata is how obtuse a lot of the requirements for getting pinatas can be. Some of them make sense, sure, but after a certain point you either need a walkthrough/FAQ or sheer dumb luck, because the game provides very few hints (and I seem to remember some of the hints being misleading or just plain wrong). Maybe I'm bad at seeing the developer's logic but I know for sure some pinatas I ended up looking up how to get them to turn up because I just could not manage it and my reaction was often 'why would I think to do THAT?'
It's not the worst thing ever, but it's frustrating game design, for sure.

Leafos straight up lies to you on some things, for the misleading/wrong ones. I remember that for sure. I'm not sure if it was a mistake, if she's supposed to be actually lying and you have to figure that out, or what. Most of her gossip hints are true, but some of them are really off.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Anyone who criticizes Diddy Kong Racing is the worst.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Anyone who criticizes Diddy Kong Racing is the worst.

Diddy Kong Racing is bad because it introduced Timber and did nothing with him.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Leafos straight up lies to you on some things, for the misleading/wrong ones. I remember that for sure. I'm not sure if it was a mistake, if she's supposed to be actually lying and you have to figure that out, or what. Most of her gossip hints are true, but some of them are really off.

Yeah, see, I remembered that being the case but it's been years since I've played, so I wasn't sure. If it's deliberate then it's still bad game design because 'rumours' in games are always true, there's really no indication that some of her hints are just flat out wrong. And if it's not deliberate then someone needed to pay better attention to the hints to make sure they were right.

And then there's a bunch of really unintuitive things she doesn't give you any hints for, which is just as bad.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Yeah, I didn't even know about Leafos' script not being proofread for accuracy, but that sort of thing, given established precedent, sounds pretty standard for Rare.

Granted I don't remember Leafos at all.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 15, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Gulping Again posted:

The DKC games suffered from hit detection issues and an overreliance on terrible gimmick levels. Minecarts, Barrel mazes, bramble blast, everything in DKC3... Watch the DKC races sometime and just bathe in the contempt.
Not sure what you're talking about with hit detection, but the rest of that is not an objective thing in the slightest. Good people like the minecarts and the barrels and things like that. The only thing nobody likes is banana birds.

Gulping Again posted:

Blast Corps had loving goddamn Backlash.
Subjective again. Backlash is fine if you actually paid attention to how to use it, until you're trying to earn platinums. Then it gets kinda hard.

Gulping Again posted:

Banjo-Tooie had Canary Mary, who only does not earn a 'loving goddamn' because she's only complete bullshit once and that's not for a jiggy.
Apparently subjective? I played this game before ever reading about Canary Mary being a problem, and to this day I still don't get what people are on about.

Gulping Again posted:

Diddy Kong Racing had loving goddamn silver coins.
And this makes Rare bad how? They're challenging your ability to drive. There's all kinds of things you can do to collect them and barely dent a serious race time.

There's probably more I have issue with, but I can't bring myself to care that much.

Zain posted:

Diddy Kong Racing is bad because it introduced Timber and did nothing with him.
Well, Despite being called Diddy Kong Racing, the "hero" of the game is supposed to be Timber, and he's the one who dragged Diddy into it. They probably brought Diddy to the front because it would have sold worse otherwise.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cheez posted:

Well, Despite being called Diddy Kong Racing, the "hero" of the game is supposed to be Timber, and he's the one who dragged Diddy into it. They probably brought Diddy to the front because it would have sold worse otherwise.

Don't be silly, the hero was clearly tiptup. :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can you make a speedy vehicle with two wheels placed side by side, the jet engine, the fuel and the pilot right next to the wheels, and then give it a long pointy lightweight nose prevented from touching the ground by, say, a balloon or very small wings?

A well-balanced dong could be the closest thing to a unicycle.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Cheez posted:

Apparently subjective? I played this game before ever reading about Canary Mary being a problem, and to this day I still don't get what people are on about.

The final Canary Mary race in Cloud Cuckooland is hard enough to where you might need a turbo controller to beat it. SA LPers had to pause the game to rest their hands to pull it off. And that final race isn't for a Jiggy, it's for a Cheato Page.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also, thanks for mentioning Diddy Kong Racing, now I'll have the song stuck in my head for the next 5 years. Again.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

AdventFalls posted:

Most of the frustration with B-K's Note system is due to a technical limitation of the N64 if I recall - it couldn't remember what notes were kept, only the overall number.

I have to call bullshit on this as an excuse. You could store the exact notes you have or have not collected in 113 bytes, and with 3 save files we're only looking at 339 bytes to remember all the notes. The cart's memory may not have been big, but 339 bytes is practically nothing for that time.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Neruz posted:

I think most of the hate for DK64 comes from people going back to play it with modern sensibilities because holy poo poo that game has not aged well at all. But it's not really fair to judge a 1999 game by design standards over a decade and a half later.
I can judge Metal Slug, which came out 3 years prior, by playing it with modern sensibilities and it comes out just fine. Bad old games are bad because they're bad, not because they're old.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AdventFalls posted:

The final Canary Mary race in Cloud Cuckooland is hard enough to where you might need a turbo controller to beat it. SA LPers had to pause the game to rest their hands to pull it off. And that final race isn't for a Jiggy, it's for a Cheato Page.

I've heard she just rubberbands insanely and she doesn't let up once she's ahead of you, so it's a matter of pacing. But I never seriously tried that insane race.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Argas posted:

I've heard she just rubberbands insanely and she doesn't let up once she's ahead of you, so it's a matter of pacing. But I never seriously tried that insane race.

This is the case. It's just that the pacing you need to keep is rather unforgivingly precise and the other three encounters are all 'mash as fast as you can' affairs.

And I maintain that both Banjo games are as close to a functionally perfect experience as Rare ever got. My whole spiel wasn't that Rare made bad games, but that all their games had flaws that ended up detracting from the overall experience somehow.

Usually this manifested in the form of obnoxious minigames or levels that massively departed from the rest of the game, Battletoads being the worst offender in both of these categories.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Cheez posted:

Wait seriously?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Zain posted:

Wait seriously?
I don't remember the exact story from the manual, but basically, Timber's parents are away so he's in charge of the island while they're gone. Trouble happens, Timber and Diddy's families know each other so he calls him over to help or whatever. Banjo, Conker, Diddy and Krunch are the only characters who don't come from the island, I think.

Anyway, it all leads me to believe Timber was supposed to be the main character. After all, the only thing that ties Diddy to this is the fact that he's a character in the game. Everything else is pretty decidedly non-Kongly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

And then Banjo got his own game and Timber never did anything ever.

RIP Timber.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

GirlCalledBob posted:

Yeah, see, I remembered that being the case but it's been years since I've played, so I wasn't sure. If it's deliberate then it's still bad game design because 'rumours' in games are always true, there's really no indication that some of her hints are just flat out wrong. And if it's not deliberate then someone needed to pay better attention to the hints to make sure they were right.

And then there's a bunch of really unintuitive things she doesn't give you any hints for, which is just as bad.

I'm honestly not sure if it was intentional or not, because the game is buggy as poo poo. There's a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be in it that just straight didn't work, like the simplest thing off the top of my head is that eating other piņatas' candy was supposed to make your pinata more valuable on account of, you know, having more candy.

Supposedly Trouble In Paradise is considered the seminal version by Rare and even that has its share of bugs.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

And then Banjo got his own game and Timber never did anything ever.

RIP Timber.

Banjo had the benefit of actually being in development at the time, and the DKR manual subtly advertised the fact he was getting his own game, assuming you don't get any gaming magazines or watch TV about game things. They might have been expecting Banjo to come out first, though.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm honestly not sure if it was intentional or not, because the game is buggy as poo poo. There's a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be in it that just straight didn't work, like the simplest thing off the top of my head is that eating other piņatas' candy was supposed to make your pinata more valuable on account of, you know, having more candy.

Supposedly Trouble In Paradise is considered the seminal version by Rare and even that has its share of bugs.

I had no idea that eating candy was supposed to do that, woah. I really did like the Viva Pinata games, so clearly the bugginess didn't ruin them, but holy poo poo that is a pretty big bug.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Pretty certain the idea behind Leafos' rumors is that they are supposed to be taken with a grain of salt as it's to make the player think critically since the idea that all the game's rumors are true doesn't seem that realistic especially given that "My uncle works for Nintendo" was a thing for years.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Am I the only guy who's still kinda fond of DK64? It's flawed in level design (hit the switch or do the one move with the one Kong to enter a tiny area for the Kong, solve easy puzzle to reach the minigame barrel, pray that it's not Beaver Bother, +1 Golden Banana) and the Kong's movesets aren't great but it's not terrible. Definitely the least of the 64-era platformers but it's still shoulders above some other Rare products.

Like anything Rare did post-MS buyout. Nuts & Bolts is the only one that makes an effort.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

AdventFalls posted:

Am I the only guy who's still kinda fond of DK64? It's flawed in level design (hit the switch or do the one move with the one Kong to enter a tiny area for the Kong, solve easy puzzle to reach the minigame barrel, pray that it's not Beaver Bother, +1 Golden Banana) and the Kong's movesets aren't great but it's not terrible. Definitely the least of the 64-era platformers but it's still shoulders above some other Rare products.

Like anything Rare did post-MS buyout. Nuts & Bolts is the only one that makes an effort.

I'm a DK64 apologist. I'll fully admit it has some frustrating structure when played as a progression-focused adult, but when I played it as a kid I was super into exploring all the nooks and crannies of those super huge levels.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Cheez posted:

I don't remember the exact story from the manual, but basically, Timber's parents are away so he's in charge of the island while they're gone. Trouble happens, Timber and Diddy's families know each other so he calls him over to help or whatever. Banjo, Conker, Diddy and Krunch are the only characters who don't come from the island, I think.

Anyway, it all leads me to believe Timber was supposed to be the main character. After all, the only thing that ties Diddy to this is the fact that he's a character in the game. Everything else is pretty decidedly non-Kongly.

Diddy Kong Racing started out as RC Pro Am 64 with Timber as the star. It probably didn't get very far as that, but I think it was Miyamoto who suggested making it about Diddy Kong.

Well ok technically it started off as an RTS about cavemen but surely that was only on paper.

edit: I looked it up and it did get very far as Pro Am 64, it was shifted to Diddy Kong once they realized they were going to be the big christmas title for the n64 that year and needed a brand to put eyes on the box.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/month_of_kong_the_making_of_diddy_kong_racing

bhlaab fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 16, 2015

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

Pretty certain the idea behind Leafos' rumors is that they are supposed to be taken with a grain of salt as it's to make the player think critically since the idea that all the game's rumors are true doesn't seem that realistic especially given that "My uncle works for Nintendo" was a thing for years.

Except there's really no indication of that in the game, and like I said, gamers are pretty much conditioned to believe that rumours in games are 100% true and plot relevant. So if that is the case, it's never properly conveyed to the player and goes against what players generally believe, making it questionable game design.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AdventFalls posted:

I didn't play it a lot, but I used to watch my dad play it all the time. It was his favorite game when I was a kid.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Diddy Kong Racing was loving awesome.

Also one of the coolest things was that they announced it about 2/3 months before it was released, it was a genuine surprise and not hyped.

Rare kicked rear end on the N64, DK64 was possibly their only miss-step depending on your opinion on Killer Instinct.

Blast Corps was dope as gently caress, Goldeneye was one of the most amazing, influential games of all time and Perfect Dark was way cool as well.

BK, BT I think we know the merits of these.

Conker's Bad Fur day was technical tour de force and one of the funniest games I ever did play back in the day. I've played it start to finish on the N64 and it is incredible what they did with that.

Mickey's Speed Way, well for what it is it's pretty good.

Jet Force Gemini was cool as hell as well.

Basically Rare on the N64 kicked rear end from the moment the machine launched until it died. Then they died. RIP Rare.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

If there's anything that's can't be doubted, it's that their N64 games, no matter what stupid poo poo got in the way, still were good sellers and extremely well received.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yo I heard this was the Diddy Kong Racing Appreciation Station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Q9BJTxPlo

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JFairfax posted:

Conker's Bad Fur day was technical tour de force and one of the funniest games I ever did play back in the day. I've played it start to finish on the N64 and it is incredible what they did with that.

This a thousand times, I don't even know how they fit all of that game onto a single goddamn N64 cartridge. That game was made by wizards.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Jet Force Gemini was cool as hell as well.
The CONCEPT was cool as hell. The actual implementation was really bad. Might be a little bitter to do the final battle I'd need to rescue all 99 tribals so save my own home planet. Thanks King Jeff you rear end in a top hat. "Yeah I'd like to help you not have your people brutishly murdered and enslaved.... BUT!" Let's not forget needing to get the golds on a lot of the floyyd missions. :( Like I legit wouldn't mind another Jet Force Gemini as long as they didn't have the insane collectathon ideals from before.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Zain posted:

Like I legit wouldn't mind another Jet Force Gemini as long as they didn't have the insane collectathon ideals from before.

Maybe with some sort of customizable vehicle mechanic added...

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Earnestly posted:

Maybe with some sort of customizable vehicle mechanic added...

Well, I mean, think about it: a third person shooter would actually benefit from having a customizable vehicle system slapped onto it. Make your own battlebot and then hop off it into tunnels and poo poo to shoot things up with your blasty things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If you don't think King K'Rool Kardboard Kutout doesn't redeem an entire game then we don't live in the same universe. Or the Creepy Castle music.

• Locked thread