Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

ok?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
those scrollbars need to go on a diet

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm still of the belief that the default vista aero minimize, maximize, and close buttons are hiding under the win 8/8.1 & win 10 ones

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

i'm still of the belief that the default vista aero minimize, maximize, and close buttons are hiding under the win 8/8.1 & win 10 ones

so stupid it has to be true

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Phoenixan posted:

which themselves are on top the XP ones which are on the 3.1 ones which are on top the Mac OS ones they stole from jobs in the 80s and skinned over

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Phoenixan posted:

you still get that flashing black space/bar when resizing windows in w10 explorer so probably

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

my latest microsoft story is i bought a sculpt mouse (bluetooth) to connect to an intel nuc with an intel wireless ac + bluetooth card, running windows 8.1 pro.

the mouse is poo poo and the scroll wheel stops working randomly, and in tyool 2015 the bluetooth encryption keys arent stored on the adapter so it takes ~40s after booting into windows before the mouse works, and it cant wake the pc from sleep. this is stuff apple had working in 2003.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

my latest microsoft story is i bought a mouse

the mouse is poo poo
wait so you're saying microsoft mice are garbage in tyool 2015? holy poo poo

well, maybe you just had some bad luck. you should exchange that mouse and exchange it for this one

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol yes i know im an idiot for expecting any different. now and again i check in on the windows world to see if its still a cesspit of poor quality hardware, incompatibility and stupid design decisions, and somehow i am surprised when the answer is still "yes".

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/microsoftstore/status/567006173250224128

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

man, that's sad as gently caress

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

who the gently caress has a contact named "Ex" into their phone? let alone a windows phone?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol. UMM, OK?? said very passive aggressively

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if you are not in a relationship you are subhuman scum and you deserve a microsoft product, agreed

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

carry on then posted:

if you are not in a relationship you are subhuman scum and you deserve a microsoft product, agreed

please no. i'll get a gf next time i promise

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
one of the few times MS actually has properly targeted marketing

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im married to a female woman

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Necc0 posted:

please no. i'll get a gf next time i promise

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/567070683549536256

lmao

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

someone tell paul to unblock me on twitter

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

pram posted:

lol. UMM, OK?? said very passive aggressively

more like what the gently caress is the image trying to show

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

giant scrollbars but tiny everything actually useful or important in any way

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

vista-era icons

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
how long until they metro the installer too

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the same release where they ditch it in the os, because nobody will tell the installer team.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
This probably belongs in the programmer thread, but microsoft.txt:

So I rarely program at home, but there's a little project I wanted to do for a while and I figured what the hell I might learn something. I fire up visual studio express and get cranking. Well the API I want to talk to is a REST web service and they use some flavor of the week framework (Firebase) for it so I go looking for some examples on how to talk to it from .Net. I find a few codeproject example and download a sample project. The project won't open however and I realize my copy of VS Express is old (2010) so I download 2013 Express. To my dismay the project still won't open, and I figure it's because it needs some feature of the full edition (probably NuGet). I'm a little miffed because I should have access to Pro from home through my works MSDN license, but that's a separate story. I had thought I had read something recently about MS allowing add-ins and extensions to work in the free edition of Visual Studio so I do some searching and discover Community Edition. Why the hell does Express edition still exist then? I download it and try to get to work understanding the example project.

It seems straightforward enough so I start copying chunks of skeleton code over to my project from the sample and am greeted by missing assembly references. I go to add the references and can't find them. "Oh these must exist in the NuGet repository," I think to myself. I've heard a little about NuGet, but haven't had need to use it at work. So I start looking for these libraries and poo poo starts getting real. First, even having the sample project open in another window I can't find some of the assemblies. Turns out they're in a package that's named differently than their namespace. Great loving move MS. Then even after I add everything, the project still won't build because it can't find an extension method (For you non-.Net programming YOSPOSers an extension method is a method that looks like it belongs as a member of an object but can be written by any hamfisted keyboard masher completely independently of the object because programming isn't confusing enough) . Turns out the extension method is buried in a completely different assembly that I have to hunt down in NuGet. The ONLY reason I was able to find the assembly the extension method was in was because I had the sample project open and could go to the definition. poo poo still refuses to build because now I have an assembly conflict. Turns out some of the libraries (Microsoft assemblies) referenced different versions of another library and when something in the program went to reflect and load it up, it couldn't find the right version. So now I have to learn to how to get NuGet to pull a specific version of said package (DLL Hell 2.0).

As a bonus kicker, as I was looking at the sample program I saw a class with a method defined on it that wasn't used by anything. It seemed to contain important configuration information, but there was no interface definition on the class, and the method wasn't even registered as a delegate anywhere. The class was used as a type on a generic class method (Microsoft.Owin.Hosting). I was morbidly curious, so in my app I omitted this method and sure enough I got a "EntryPointNotFound" exception at runtime. Yep, somehow we've regressed in programming to not require an interface on a class or even registering poo poo to an eventhandler. All of this poo poo was using Microsoft written assemblies. :unsmith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if ur doing a webapi client project all you gotta do is start a new project and add webapi client package from nuget

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Shaggar posted:

if ur doing a webapi client project all you gotta do is start a new project and add webapi client package from nuget

Which I eventually figured out, but not before going through that whole dance routine. I understand why they're doing it, but from my end it feels like a whole step backwards from the previous framework deployment model. The part that floored me was using reflection to perform discovery and load class information instead of enforcing something sane like an interface. It makes it an absolute nightmare to try and understand/learn what is happening when you see code is executing and you've never tied it into anything.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds like your microsoft programming language might be a piece of poo poo

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

took me a moment to realise the white edge on the phone wasn't white background they couldn't be bothered to photoshop out

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Ted NuGet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Which I eventually figured out, but not before going through that whole dance routine. I understand why they're doing it, but from my end it feels like a whole step backwards from the previous framework deployment model. The part that floored me was using reflection to perform discovery and load class information instead of enforcing something sane like an interface. It makes it an absolute nightmare to try and understand/learn what is happening when you see code is executing and you've never tied it into anything.

idk what ur talkin about here. I mean yeah nuget sucks but there was no framework deployment model before it. Also what are you using reflection for? I don't understand what you are doing but it sounds like ur not using webapi

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Windows Phone 8.1.2—also known as Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 or Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2—is real, according to Microsoft’s online documentation.

This site still calls Windows Phone 8.1.1 as GDR2—a.k.a. “general development release 2,” which is an older style of update naming—but I will just refer to it as 8.1.2. Presumably this will be the final Windows Phone OS software update before the release of Windows 10.

oh man so much going on there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mechwarrior 4 Point Release 2

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Windows is better than Mac

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Wootman posted: