Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When was the last time a presidential election year dipped below 50% turnout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fulchrum posted:

When was the last time a presidential election year dipped below 50% turnout?

1820, when only 15 out of 24 states had a popular vote for president.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

1820, when only 15 out of 24 states had a popular vote for president.

Though the lowest turnout in recent memory is 1996, at about 51%.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Obama's approval ratings have been trending up and are generally decent/average for a 2nd term president. He won't be a pariah to run from for 2016.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lockback posted:

Obama's approval ratings have been trending up and are generally decent/average for a 2nd term president. He won't be a pariah to run from for 2016.

But he's black and/or weak-willed *wrings hands like a flustered old lady*

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

She's been getting bagged on ever since she dared to suggest fixing healthcare in the 90s. She's used to it.
Hell of a lot longer than that. Even before Bill was elected you had Cookiegate and Tammy Wynettegate.

Some of us here are old enough to remember 1992. It was ugly and its just gotten worse since.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lockback posted:

Things are really looking up for him but two weeks is a long time in politics, let alone two years. Who knows what will happen in the future. If Jeb needs more clarification on that I am sure he can ask his dad about it...

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh, really? Is this dude running for a third term, while the party base runs as far away from him as they can?

Who do you think is going to get a better speaking slot at their Party's convention Barack Obama or Jeb's own brother?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

How many ways can you say "shrill harpy" or "castrating bitch" without actually using those words?

Finally my overstock supply of Hillary Clinton nutcrackers will hit their peak value.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DynamicSloth posted:

Who do you think is going to get a better speaking slot at their Party's convention Barack Obama or Jeb's own brother?

No way W. speaks at the convention, to many really public bad memories that could come up real quick. How H.W would be more helpful in the general but not with the base.

Obama and Bill will tag team introduce Hillary for the mom.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
HW would be really interesting, assuming he isn't already dead by that time. I don't know if they'd go for a pre-recorded video or stick him up on stage live and hope he doesn't physically look awful. Anyway, I don't think that either Bush family member would be asked to headline a night as HW has just been uninvolved in politics for too long and the party would rather not tie W to Jeb (or whoever it is that wins the nomination) at all if possible. I honestly don't know what either of the Bushes would have to say either, W could talk about faith or commitment in the face of adversity (aka unpopularity) I guess.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Is HW even in good enough shape for something like that? Last I heard he was in a wheelchair and his memory wasn't all that great.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cliff Racer posted:

HW would be really interesting, assuming he isn't already dead by that time. I don't know if they'd go for a pre-recorded video or stick him up on stage live and hope he doesn't physically look awful. Anyway, I don't think that either Bush family member would be asked to headline a night as HW has just been uninvolved in politics for too long and the party would rather not tie W to Jeb (or whoever it is that wins the nomination) at all if possible. I honestly don't know what either of the Bushes would have to say either, W could talk about faith or commitment in the face of adversity (aka unpopularity) I guess.

My thoughts exactly about Bush the Elder; he's really not in good enough shape to be there in person, both from the perspectives of optics and his own health. I can't imagine anyone with an ounce of brains would bring Bush the Lesser on, as doing so would be begging the next media cycle to tie the GOP candidate to his various terrible failures.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Is HW even in good enough shape for something like that? Last I heard he was in a wheelchair and his memory wasn't all that great.

They can wheel him out wearing a pair of socks with his face on them and the the crowd will love him.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

My thoughts exactly about Bush the Elder; he's really not in good enough shape to be there in person, both from the perspectives of optics and his own health. I can't imagine anyone with an ounce of brains would bring Bush the Lesser on, as doing so would be begging the next media cycle to tie the GOP candidate to his various terrible failures.

Not to mention HW was the last Bush who lost to a Clinton.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Didn't stop Reagan.

Ultimately, 2016 will come down to whether the economy is seen as improving or not. If it is, great, Clinton will be seen as the better alternative. If it ain't--and no way in hell does Congress implement some decent pork spending---then Hillary will represent the continuation of failed policies, and Jeb the smart brother who should've run in 2000.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Titus Sardonicus posted:

The GOP has a pretty big thing going on for older white men with significant memory issues.

Hell you could use that phrase to put their party in a nutshell.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The can just set up an empty chair and pretend it's him. Republicans are good at that sort of thing.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I mean, they did use Clint Eastwood in 2012. I don't see why they wouldn't use HW.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deteriorata posted:

The can just set up an empty chair and pretend it's him. Republicans are good at that sort of thing.

Like pretending Reagan was lucid.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Aardvark posted:

I mean, they did use Clint Eastwood in 2012. I don't see why they wouldn't use HW.

I dunno, I think Clint pulled a fast one on them. Come on, no prepared remarks? Who agrees to that?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lockback posted:

the whole 'stopped giving a gently caress' part has been pretty good for his polls

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If prep god HW does it, it's correct

look how icy

look how icy I am

I do this all day, I can't prevent it from happening

"oh but Dad can you wear a white jacket"

"can you wear a white turtleneck"

"can you wear pink soc--" bitch, look at me

You don't know what I've been through. In the 80s I...

...I wore a poly blend

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

My Imaginary GF posted:

Didn't stop Reagan.

Ultimately, 2016 will come down to whether the economy is seen as improving or not. If it is, great, Clinton will be seen as the better alternative. If it ain't--and no way in hell does Congress implement some decent pork spending---then Hillary will represent the continuation of failed policies, and Jeb the smart brother who should've run in 2000.

It's amazing to me how much poo poo you are able to spew at such a high volume per second rate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

look at these two old shitters by this loving fence here

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'd give better odds for the dems having Carter speak at the convention than the republicans bringing out w.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's weird is that if Jeb is the nominee, W will be in the audience and it'll be palpably weird that he's not speaking. He'll definitely be the biggest issue for Jeb heading into the fall campaign, and we can all steel ourselves toward reliving our high school years in the media.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think the only path to a Jeb Bush presidency is to own the Dubya Legacy and pretend it was a massive success ruined by the devil Obama. The republican base will buy it, at least, if it's sold to them properly.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Aliquid posted:

What's weird is that if Jeb is the nominee, W will be in the audience and it'll be palpably weird that he's not speaking. He'll definitely be the biggest issue for Jeb heading into the fall campaign, and we can all steel ourselves toward reliving our high school years in the media.

They can have W speak if it's just a bunch of childhood anecdotes about how much smarter Jeb is than him.

Just have some speechwriters change all the references to something people can relate to, so that "When we was kids, I would try to git the nanny off of our backs by yellin and cryin at her, but Jeb figured out how to sweet talk her real good by promisin' to put in a good word with th' household HR director," becomes "I used to try and climb up the fridge to get the cookie jar, but Jeb figured out he could just push a chair up and stand on that,"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 16, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oddium posted:

More like My Imaginary Talking Points

SLAM JAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Boom shakalaka :vince:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PupsOfWar posted:

They can have W speak if it's just a bunch of childhood anecdotes about how much smarter Jeb is than him.

Just have some speechwriters change all the references to something people can relate to, so that "When we was kids, I would try to git the nanny off of our backs by yellin and cryin at her, but Jeb figured out how to sweet talk her real good by promisin' to put in a good word with th' household HR director," becomes "I used to try and climb up the fridge to get the cookie jar, but Jeb figured out he could just push a chair up and stand on that,"

"I used to try to stick my dick in the electric sockets but Jeb showed me how to tape a fork to my ballsack"

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

FAUXTON posted:

"I used to try to stick my dick in the electric sockets but Jeb showed me how to tape a fork to my ballsack"

:allears: you have such a way with imagery.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the only path to a Jeb Bush presidency is to own the Dubya Legacy and pretend it was a massive success ruined by the devil Obama. The republican base will buy it, at least, if it's sold to them properly.

Not only own it, message it as a good time ruined by Democrats. 'Hillary allowed the rise of ISIS out of cowardice. W would have bombed ISIS much earlier. Vote Jeb to restore funding to Department of Homeland Security and protect yourself from terrorism.'

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Didn't stop Reagan.

That was Reagan though. If the GOP could exhume him and give him a nominal makeup/SFX job, they'd pull a hybrid Weekend at Bernie's/Muppet Show thing with him. He's a goddamn demigod.

H-Dub was the last incumbent to lose and he committed a mortal sin by reneging on a "no new taxes" promise. But then you could always hype up his hatred of broccoli, a freedom fighter in the face of Moochelle's oppression :v:

Of course, I'm giving this more thought than anyone in the GOP's base ever would.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For reference, at the 2008 RNC, Laura Bush spoke live with George W. Bush speaking live from the White House by satellite while George HW and Barbara watched, but did not speak.

At the 2012 RNC, Georges W. and H.W. spoke by tape.

Carter spoke by tape at the 2012 DNC and didn't speak at the 2008 DNC, but they did show a tribute video to him.

And there's the infamous story of the Reagan hologram at the 2012 RNC.

My prediction: the Bushes and Carter do another pre-recorded tape, Obama gives one of the big end-of-night speeches, possibly the nominating speech, and Bill Clinton doesn't speak.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 16, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Titus Sardonicus posted:

That was Reagan though. If the GOP could exhume him and give him a nominal makeup/SFX job, they'd pull a hybrid Weekend at Bernie's/Muppet Show thing with him. He's a goddamn demigod.

H-Dub was the last incumbent to lose and he committed a mortal sin by reneging on a "no new taxes" promise. But then you could always hype up his hatred of broccoli, a freedom fighter in the face of Moochelle's oppression :v:

Of course, I'm giving this more thought than anyone in the GOP's base ever would.

You really are. You're applying logic to something thats all about gut feeling. Who can you trust to carry on Reagan's legacy, Jeb or a woman who couldn't even keep her husband satisfied while he was in office?

E:

'America needs a cold warrior, not a frigid warrior.'

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

My prediction: the Bushes and Carter do another pre-recorded tape, Obama gives one of the big end-of-night speeches, possibly the nominating speech, and Bill Clinton doesn't speak.

No way Bill doesn't speak.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

comes along bort posted:

No way Bill doesn't speak.

I briefly imagined this being awkward, but then again Bill :allears:. You know he's going to ding it off the rafters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I imagine that a DNC speaking slot is like the only speech that he won't be allowed to show up late to, too. Suck it, Billy, you're going on when advertised this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Joementum posted:

There is something to be said to not up-stage Hillary, but its Bill Clinton. His speech will probably go down really early so that people have time to forget it by the time the nomination comes up.

• Locked thread