Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...oh my god. This means that there is a tiny image of Doomguy loving an imp on a HuffPost article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Stuntman posted:

...oh my god. This means that there is a tiny image of Doomguy loving an imp on a HuffPost article.

It's funny to see a Doom article on there, but in all fairness HuffPo is trash journalism. Doomguy loving an imp won't shock them. Various headlines currently on their front page:

The Truth About Pagan Sex Rituals

Jessica Simpson And Husband Recreate 'Fifty Shades'

No One Understands Your Feelings About Winter Like This Cat

Lady Gaga Splits From This Look For Sexy, New Hairstyle

The One Thing You're Doing In Bed That's A Total Turn-Off

Ode To Psychedelic Sex Reminds How Wild Romance Can Be (NSFW)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't know he co-founded Doomworld. That's pretty awesome!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Challenging and/or long maps that drop a Cyberdemon on your face in the last encounter make me sad. I know Scythe was all about that in the last few maps, but newer wads should have something more interesting. :eng99:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

LLCoolJD posted:

It's funny to see a Doom article on there, but in all fairness HuffPo is trash journalism. Doomguy loving an imp won't shock them. Various headlines currently on their front page:

The Truth About Pagan Sex Rituals

Jessica Simpson And Husband Recreate 'Fifty Shades'

No One Understands Your Feelings About Winter Like This Cat

Lady Gaga Splits From This Look For Sexy, New Hairstyle

The One Thing You're Doing In Bed That's A Total Turn-Off

Ode To Psychedelic Sex Reminds How Wild Romance Can Be (NSFW)

How could you miss

Robot Handjobs Are The Future, And The Future Is Coming

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

site posted:

I didn't know he co-founded Doomworld. That's pretty awesome!
I'm old

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Geight posted:

Challenging and/or long maps that drop a Cyberdemon on your face in the last encounter make me sad. I know Scythe was all about that in the last few maps, but newer wads should have something more interesting. :eng99:
How is it not interesting? Also, the arena you fight the cyberdemon in makes all the difference.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you eat chocolate cake for dessert after every meal, it starts to get boring no matter how you dress it up or where you eat it. Same principle.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I enjoyed After the Holocaust. Are there any similar sort of maps you guys can recommend?

p.s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpO24Y-5Wdw

the wizards beard posted:

How could you miss

Robot Handjobs Are The Future, And The Future Is Coming

Hah, definitely missed that one. It tops the list.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

I enjoyed After the Holocaust. Are there any similar sort of maps you guys can recommend?

p.s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpO24Y-5Wdw

Dawn of Reality is a big open-plan realistic urban map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZpUJ-yCyg
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dor.zip

Planisphere 2 is less good, but is a scale model of New York.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dominic White posted:

Just watched a YouTube of this and while amazing to look at, how the gently caress are you supposed to play something like that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

Just watched a YouTube of this and while amazing to look at, how the gently caress are you supposed to play something like that?

In about 3 hours, apparently. :v:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Dawn of Reality is a big open-plan realistic urban map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZpUJ-yCyg
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dor.zip

Thanks for the recommendation. That NYC map is nuts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Korendian Leader posted:

How is it not interesting? Also, the arena you fight the cyberdemon in makes all the difference.

Probably the idea of playing a map without saves, and then getting locked into an arena with a Cyberdemon suddenly in your face, and then you screw up and die in one hit and now you have to do the entire really big map over again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

In about 3 hours, apparently. :v:

Luckily our Doom guy runs at 40Mph and not crawls at call of duty levels because holy poo poo playing that map without sprinting :suicide:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Korendian Leader posted:

You're exactly right, the arena is actually the important part, not so much the Cyberdemon. so I'll compare two end-of-map Cyberdemon fights in Valiant.

First at the end of Mancubian Candidate, the player takes an elevator down after 'solving' the map and acquiring blue armor and a plasma gun. Obviously there's some poo poo about to go down, but it's really dark and when you flip the switch, all you hear is a revenant and some spectres activate. Then you realize there's a gosh-dang Cyberdemon in the fairly small arena with tricky lighting that constantly rotates, cloaking it in total darkness repeatedly. This fight is totally cool. The map isn't particularly long but the nature of it means that you've surely had to restart a few times by now, and it's a great use of the environment to create a panicked battle while still giving you access to cover and space to maneuver.

The encounter in map10 on the other hand made me pretty sad. The player is tricked into entering a very foreboding looking area with two pits available, one with a soul sphere and mega armor on a raised pillar, the other one empty. I decided to try my luck with the empty pit, and was rewarded with a Cyberdemon teleporting directly into my face and splattering me with a volley of rockets. The pit itself is just a straight-up cylinder, maybe a little bit bigger than the green armor room in E1M1. That just totally sucked. Even Scythe map29 lets you flee in terror when it teleports a Cyberdemon into your face, and the last two maps of Scythe hate you and want you to die.

Now obviously the next time I play I'm gonna try falling into the other pit to see if the previous run was a "You chose... poorly." kind of thing, but I really can't abide by putting that sort of trick at the end of the level. It's just not good Doom! :bahgawd:

Another thought that came to me while I typed this is that BFG availability is probably the second most important thing for Cyberdemon fights, after arena design. Even if you're not a sick-rear end 2 or 3-shot pro with that thing, it still helps a ton when fighting them and maps that give you one early can be expected to be more cruel in their enemy placement.

edit: I posted a lot of words to say "It really sucks to get gibbed after playing a tough map, and it makes me not want to play it again for awhile"

Reive
May 21, 2009

Relevant:

that is all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

You're exactly right, the arena is actually the important part, not so much the Cyberdemon. so I'll compare two end-of-map Cyberdemon fights in Valiant.

First at the end of Mancubian Candidate, the player takes an elevator down after 'solving' the map and acquiring blue armor and a plasma gun. Obviously there's some poo poo about to go down, but it's really dark and when you flip the switch, all you hear is a revenant and some spectres activate. Then you realize there's a gosh-dang Cyberdemon in the fairly small arena with tricky lighting that constantly rotates, cloaking it in total darkness repeatedly. This fight is totally cool. The map isn't particularly long but the nature of it means that you've surely had to restart a few times by now, and it's a great use of the environment to create a panicked battle while still giving you access to cover and space to maneuver.

The encounter in map10 on the other hand made me pretty sad. The player is tricked into entering a very foreboding looking area with two pits available, one with a soul sphere and mega armor on a raised pillar, the other one empty. I decided to try my luck with the empty pit, and was rewarded with a Cyberdemon teleporting directly into my face and splattering me with a volley of rockets. The pit itself is just a straight-up cylinder, maybe a little bit bigger than the green armor room in E1M1. That just totally sucked. Even Scythe map29 lets you flee in terror when it teleports a Cyberdemon into your face, and the last two maps of Scythe hate you and want you to die.

Now obviously the next time I play I'm gonna try falling into the other pit to see if the previous run was a "You chose... poorly." kind of thing, but I really can't abide by putting that sort of trick at the end of the level. It's just not good Doom! :bahgawd:

Another thought that came to me while I typed this is that BFG availability is probably the second most important thing for Cyberdemon fights, after arena design. Even if you're not a sick-rear end 2 or 3-shot pro with that thing, it still helps a ton when fighting them and maps that give you one early can be expected to be more cruel in their enemy placement.

edit: I posted a lot of words to say "It really sucks to get gibbed after playing a tough map, and it makes me not want to play it again for awhile"
Is there a way to progress in map10 without jumping into that pit?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Is there a way to progress in map10 without jumping into that pit?

Maybe/hopefully! I'll be checking out my options the next time I feel like playing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

Maybe/hopefully! I'll be checking out my options the next time I feel like playing.
I've gotten close to killing him a couple times but shooting rockets in such an enclosed space while he's shooting rockets just isn't working out.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I've gotten close to killing him a couple times but shooting rockets in such an enclosed space while he's shooting rockets just isn't working out.

Yeah it's such a sharp uptick in difficulty compared to every other encounter on that map I figure there's gotta be something else to it. Since you're likely to get there before me, could you try jumping into the pit that has the large raised pillar inside of it? I'm hoping maybe it raises the floor of both pits and lets you fight the cyberdemon in the bigger area with access to the supplies atop the pillar.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geight posted:

Yeah it's such a sharp uptick in difficulty compared to every other encounter on that map I figure there's gotta be something else to it. Since you're likely to get there before me, could you try jumping into the pit that has the large raised pillar inside of it? I'm hoping maybe it raises the floor of both pits and lets you fight the cyberdemon in the bigger area with access to the supplies atop the pillar.
I jumped in there first, the pillar rises to let you back out but that's it. I can't find any other way to progress. There are "blood angels" on three sides of the cyber demon pit but any attempt to interact with them doesn't seem to work. The funny thing is the cyberdemon teleport seems kind of wonky, sometimes he shows up immediately, sometimes you have to walk around for a bit.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I jumped in there first, the pillar rises to let you back out but that's it. I can't find any other way to progress. There are "blood angels" on three sides of the cyber demon pit but any attempt to interact with them doesn't seem to work. The funny thing is the cyberdemon teleport seems kind of wonky, sometimes he shows up immediately, sometimes you have to walk around for a bit.

I guess it's just a really hard capstone fight to an otherwise reasonably tough map, then. Not sure if the best strategy is to save cells or bullets, because I don't know if Valiant's super chaingun outpaces the damage output of the plasmagun. I'd go with rockets but as you noted, you're just as likely to splatter yourself than the Cyberdemon inside that pit.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

There's literally a plasma rifle and a bunch of cells in that pit (or the other one? i forget--still, pretty obvious choice to jump down in the pit with the supplies first), and if you can't kill a cyberdemon with a plasma rifle at this point then I don't know what to tell you. I definitely didn't die there because Valiant sort of trains you to be super wary of anywhere that looks empty because boy does it love teleporting poo poo on you.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
The Solo Crota Hard Mode Twitch guy is STILL streaming. He's been playing for 30+ hours straight...

His speech went from somewhat coherent last night to a slurred mile a minute mess with no logical jump from one topic to another. He just cannot shut up for even a second. The guy claims he pounded 9 energy drinks in the past 3 hours. There's just no way. This dude has to be on a crystal meth bender and at some point got the bright idea to do this poo poo over and over and over again.

Paraphrase Highlights:

"When I get a goal, I am completely focused on the goal and getting the goal and I WILL NOT STOP until I achieve the goal I set out to achieve the goal."

"I'm very close guys just keep watching the stream keep watching the stream I got a new strat from this other guy and it's working perfectly and I should have him down within an hour or maybe one and a half hours or maybe two hours but I'm just running into luck issues with Crota right now and I guarantee I'll have him down in about an hour just keep watching well maybe in a couple hours depending on how things go it's just getting good runs and not running into random RNG luck Crota problems oh look I shot a knight in the face blast the night blast the night looks like my fps dropped for a bit there that was weird ok thanks subscribers you guys motivate me to do this keep subscribing it's totally crazy I have 250 plus viewers now I love subscribers they motivate me to keep going I do it all for you guys actually I don't give a drat about anyone in the stream and all their negative comments I just do it for me because I have a goal and when I set out to achieve a goal I go all at it no matter what it is until I achieve the goal because I am a goal achiever hey do you guys call them 'Ackyolites' or 'Arkurlights' because I call them the former but I'm not sure what bungie intended with the spelling that's another problem with this game the names of stuff is just so hard to read and interprete sometime............"

Holy gently caress.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jia posted:

There's literally a plasma rifle and a bunch of cells in that pit (or the other one? i forget--still, pretty obvious choice to jump down in the pit with the supplies first), and if you can't kill a cyberdemon with a plasma rifle at this point then I don't know what to tell you. I definitely didn't die there because Valiant sort of trains you to be super wary of anywhere that looks empty because boy does it love teleporting poo poo on you.

Not everyone is a Doom superhero, I guess. I mean that pit was a super-obvious trap but there's no way I would have expected a Cyberdemon at the end of that level, that's pretty extreme.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Given trends in levels around map10, I figured an archvile with no cover around would have been more appropriate :emo:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jia posted:

Not on Hurt Me Plenty, there are a couple medkits, that's it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

i managed to win that fight without losing any point of health or armor after a few tries. If you don't have a plasma rifle you'll be sorry, though. This is a fight that calls for plasma. Plasma and a lot of circle-strafing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

i managed to win that fight without losing any point of health or armor after a few tries. If you don't have a plasma rifle you'll be sorry, though. This is a fight that calls for plasma. Plasma and a lot of circle-strafing.
Unfortunately I wasted it all in a preceding fight. Leaving me with about 25 rockets, 175 bullets, and probably 50ish shells.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Jia posted:

Not sure if you're playing a lower difficulty or thinking of a different map, because the plasmagun shows up way earlier and the only ammo in the pit area is a couple boxes of shells. You'd only have an excess of cells coming into that area if you knew ahead of time that there was going to be a super tough cyberdemon fight, and were going out of your way to save them.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I doubt there'd be more supplies rather than fewer in UV, so I guess I'm thinking of a different map, my mistake.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How completable is Dark Forces in XL Engine currently? I'm forgot how much I dislike how they set up the mouse look in the Steam release.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How completable is Dark Forces in XL Engine currently? I'm forgot how much I dislike how they set up the mouse look in the Steam release.
Seems to be completable with a few graphical glitches here and there.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I had zero luck with that XL engine thing, but updating the version of Dosbox that Steam provides with Dark Forces solved a lot of problems on its own.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

AFAIK some of the bosses are not finished, and one of the weapons crash if you try to use its altfire.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Geight posted:

I had zero luck with that XL engine thing, but updating the version of Dosbox that Steam provides with Dark Forces solved a lot of problems on its own.

Geight posted:

Ok, Ill try just using a newer DOS Box for now, thanks.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Is there any megawad that's nothing but Dead Simple style maps? Because those maps are the best maps.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Do you mean just small simplish maps, or specifically just like Dead Simple? The Clasustrophobia sets are pretty fun for the 5-10 minute tiny map play style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
There's a super early playable build of Strafe (that Kickstarter procedural FPS) available to everyone now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe/posts/1136891

I haven't actually tried it myself yet.

Edit: Gun is too big. FOV is too low. Visor is too restrictive. Enemies are fine. Combat is fun. Explosions are pretty. Nails the 90s FPS feeling. I forgot to reload my gun.

Nition fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 16, 2015