Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

I like the reference to Short Circuit 2 with the tool box on his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I hate Rock Throw, but loooove Charge.I'm single-handedly bringing the global average up. Charge averages ~1300 damage per game golbally, I score 8000-11000 consistently. L3 JumpSmash to L3 Charge incaps anyone who isn't at 100% health and they both recharge so quick :allears:

Elbowdrop->Charge->Slap, man down. Walk two steps away, immediately turn around and combo the guy trying to revive your first kill, boom that's two kills (and the second one is almost always Lazarus if he's around). If they survive, they've got strikes on them and they won't survive the next fight (or at the very least least Laz will/won't)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
^^ Ok well that cinches it for me, I'm gonna do it. I personally think rock throw is garbage too since it's a pretty long self stun windup. I know it does a lot of damage but ehhhhh I'd rather have the points in shoot fire.

gonger posted:

My thinking is that I'm really only hoping to have one significant encounter before evolving to level 2, so it's fine if my toolbox only contains one really strong tool.

I was thinking charge might not be a bad tool to do that with since you can double down to use it for farming/escaping, but I always second guess myself and put a point in leap as well. I guess I can give it a shot, worst case I lose.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Lvl3 rock is hilarious and will take ~3/4 of a health bar. But I'd highly not recommend it for starting out cause you take loads of damage while standing still then loads of damage during fights for not having a movement based special. Charge is the way to go for sure, it's easily the best Goliath skill. High knockback, decent damage, charge away from a pack to separate a hunter, decent recharge rate, tap it when you pin a hunter against a wall for instant damage, good for covering ground and killing wildlife without having to pause, and is more reliable for killing wildlife than melee which sometimes takes 1 hit and sometimes 4 for who the gently caress knows why. I'm gonna try starting 3 points in charge or 2 charge 1 fire since the fire counters mines, helps keep damage going while geometry is screwing you, and help you find cloaked folks. I'm starting to not care so much for leap early game - most of the time doesn't work very well for general movement and a lot of times in fights a regular jump melee is easier to land (and does about the same damage/knockback) since good hunters will be above you where it's a nightmare to try and aim leaps. Later on leap is fantastic though when you have enough armor/health to tank more hits and it does more damage. Folks going to res can be an easy second down when ya turn around, leap at the downed person and hit the res'er then charge 'em away from the group.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Eldercain posted:

^^ Ok well that cinches it for me, I'm gonna do it. I personally think rock throw is garbage too since it's a pretty long self stun windup. I know it does a lot of damage but ehhhhh I'd rather have the points in shoot fire.

I was thinking charge might not be a bad tool to do that with since you can double down to use it for farming/escaping, but I always second guess myself and put a point in leap as well. I guess I can give it a shot, worst case I lose.

My usual buy order for Goliath is
Charge-Charge-Leap
Charge-Leap-Leap
Fire-Fire-Fire

And it's sooo nice. Rocks hit like a train, but a miss is HUGE.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I find rank 1 leap's radius to be hilariously bad too, and you can't reaim it midair in case your snap judgement was wrong. At 3 it's big enough to be forgiving but at 1 it's only really good on wildlife that isn't fleeing.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
sometimes I've seen people drop a single point in Rock at some point rather then finish maxing one other skill- I never see which one- for the damage. Is this good strategy just so you have more tools or is the standard 3-3-3-0 always going to be better?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

sometimes I've seen people drop a single point in Rock at some point rather then finish maxing one other skill- I never see which one- for the damage. Is this good strategy just so you have more tools or is the standard 3-3-3-0 always going to be better?

I dunno, is it like L4D2 where you can time it and throw a rock while jumping? Jump off something high while ripping a rock out of midair and throwing it and then slapping someone was usually an instant incap

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's playstyle. I saw one guy who was a beast with the rock, shooting us out of the air from downtown. I just don't like the rock because I can't aim it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evilreaver posted:

I hate Rock Throw, but loooove Charge.I'm single-handedly bringing the global average up. Charge averages ~1300 damage per game golbally, I score 8000-11000 consistently. L3 JumpSmash to L3 Charge incaps anyone who isn't at 100% health and they both recharge so quick :allears:

Elbowdrop->Charge->Slap, man down. Walk two steps away, immediately turn around and combo the guy trying to revive your first kill, boom that's two kills (and the second one is almost always Lazarus if he's around). If they survive, they've got strikes on them and they won't survive the next fight (or at the very least least Laz will/won't)

Charge is the best of Goliath's moves because it allows you to counter the medic. Normally you have to target the medic first so they don't heal whoever you're hurting, but with a properly done charge you can just carry somebody across the map and then firebreath -> punch to death. By the time the teammates show up they're toast.

I get Charge, Firebreath and either rock slam OR jump smash.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I like to drop 1 skill in whatever you didn't take at start, because cooldown times aren't affected by the number of skills you have. So grabbing one more means that much more potential options in combat, that much more damage per second. Even a 1 rank skill beats punching people sometimes. I'll usually go 3-3-2-1 though.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I didn't find it hard to aim, but you're just standing there like a dunce while you grab it. I can't imagine another aoe knockdown + damage would be bad, especially if you got the drop on them with rock -> leap -> charge -> slap/fire, but I don't know if that's wroth losing extra damage for one cooldown maybe. I'm sure the pro non-shitheadwraith players could probably make it work in combat by baiting around a corner with the hold or something, but you'd need to have the arena set up right. I assume most people who are bad like me would try to use it too often.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I just lost two Evacuation finales in a row (both against Kraken, because of course they were). Which, fine, but both were lost during the interminable 20+ second wait where the dropship timer is up but you're still in the ship waiting for the bay door to open. I understand that time is factored into the balance, but just make the loving timer longer and cut that poo poo out. It is loving infuriating to watch the generator health bar drop inexorably toward zero while the timer is theoretically over and you're just standing in the ship with your thumb up your rear end.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For all the monster players out there, what is the best tip you can give to a medic who is being singled out by the monster? I usually play as Caira.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Jetpack boost straight over the head of a Wraith/Goliath, run Kraken in circles around things. Hank needs to shield you, or the other supports can try cloaking you out. Run through mines and traps if there are any.

But if you don't have jetpack and you're already targeted at ground level, then you're boned. Only Lazarus really has a tool for escaping, and Caira's speed boost isn't faster than any monster.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
if you're out of fuel try climbing the nearest wall then immediately jump down again, rinse and repeat while screaming help into your mic and spamming waypoints at your feet.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Like in an MMO, if the healer draws aggo run toward the tank!
Assaults are happiest when the monster comes to them, and if the medic drags the monster to them, all the better!

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

For all the monster players out there, what is the best tip you can give to a medic who is being singled out by the monster? I usually play as Caira.

You're going to want to use your jet pack to float, but don't. Use a quick boost or two and kite the monster through your team.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blackguy32 posted:

RUN.

Probably run towards the support so he can throw a shield on you, but not so close that the monster can hit both of you at once.

The most frustrating thing as the monster is when the medic heals the support while the support shields the medic.

Its like the opening sequence of Office Space where the guy is in the slow moving traffic lane and so he switches lanes only to have the other lane stop and the one he was in start moving again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just had my first-ever victory as the monster :toot: Feels good, but man, stressful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

guppy posted:

Just had my first-ever victory as the monster :toot: Feels good, but man, stressful.

Nice work dude :cthulhu::hf::cthulhu:

Once you get a few more wins under your belt it'll start to get easier. It'll always be stressful though.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Stealth pounce raping a hunter is also an amazing strat, btw, especially at low levels.

Most people refuse to believe how hard the drat monster is to see if it is stealthing.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Zaphod42 posted:

Once you get a few more wins under your belt it'll start to get easier. It'll always be stressful though.

I can't stress (:haw:) this enough. Every time I monster against human players, I feel like I am responsible for the entire flow of the game, like it's my responsibility to make 4 other peoples gameplay experience worthwhile. Drives me crazy. It's the same kind of feeling when you are playing any other regular team game, and you are the last dude alive on your team and everyone is spectating you - only the only person watching my monster is me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Today I turned around and fought a hunter team on top of a megamouth. I got the Massacre and Invincible achievements that game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Actually, don't bother answering, I'll just add you to my ignore list instead.

Smackdown

Gobble Snarf
May 27, 2014
I finally unlocked Parnell just now. Played a couple matches with him and man alive is it fun to throw your shield on, then super soldier and fire off a ton of shot gun shots. I had a solid Val on my team who was hitting the wraith with her sniper repeatedly every fight, so it lead to huge chunks of damage just melting away.

In general, I thought I wouldn't enjoy assault, but I find myself playing it like 75% of the time.

guppy posted:

Nice!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Gobble Snarf posted:

I finally unlocked Parnell just now. Played a couple matches with him and man alive is it fun to throw your shield on, then super soldier and fire off a ton of shot gun shots.

Just wait til you team up with a Cabot. :getin:

I am addicted to Parnell, got to get those elite skins for my beautiful rage soldier. :allears:

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Just wait til you team up with a Cabot. :getin:

I am addicted to Parnell, got to get those elite skins for my beautiful rage soldier. :allears:

I really like playing as Parnell, but it bums me out that he's so boring compared to the other assaults on a personality/character basis.

I did just unlock Cabot, though, and that guy's a blast. Does his rail gun penetrate an unlimited number of surfaces?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
just picked up the monster pack on steam for PC. We using climbing the stairs mumble?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Frocious posted:

I really like playing as Parnell, but it bums me out that he's so boring compared to the other assaults on a personality/character basis.

I did just unlock Cabot, though, and that guy's a blast. Does his rail gun penetrate an unlimited number of surfaces?

It penetrates the first and makes a wide cone behind it. I don't think the cone will penetrate.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

shankerz posted:

just picked up the monster pack on steam for PC. We using climbing the stairs mumble?

You mean camping the stairs? :v: Or is climbing the stairs another one? I hadn't thought to check there for any kind of evolve goon presence. The two steam groups "evolve goons" and "evolved goons" group chats always seem to be empty when I'm looking for a group of goons to play with :(

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Having trouble against Krakens on Defend? Their whole strategy is to snipe the generator from afar and back away from fights, while most Hunter teams sit helplessly near the generator watching it die.

Instead, wait at the chokepoint between generators and force him into a close range fight. You can do this before the first one too, but most Defend maps seem to have really good chokepoints between generators that the Kraken has to go through. Wait for him at one of these, bubble him and unleash Hell in a Cell. If minions get to the next generator, the sentries should be able to take care of them with minimal damage, especially the third one.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
:nws: http://www.reddit.com/r/EvolveGame/comments/2w5hil/daisy_revives_maggie/ :nws:

what monster could do this

script kitty fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 17, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

script kitty posted:

what monster could do this

Welcome to the internet. But if I had to guess, Kraken? Seems the type.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just unlocked Griffin, and while I know it was probably intentional, I wish they let us choose which sound spikes to replace when we plant #6: what I keep wanting to do is use 2-3 spikes to cut the map in half, then juggle the rest as we cover ground.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Omi no Kami posted:

I just unlocked Griffin, and while I know it was probably intentional, I wish they let us choose which sound spikes to replace when we plant #6: what I keep wanting to do is use 2-3 spikes to cut the map in half, then juggle the rest as we cover ground.

I can't even think of a way you could do this while keeping the pace of the game, they probably couldn't either.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think I might be using the sound spikes wrong then- I've basically been using them to slow the monster down as we look for it: fence off crossroads and other areas likely to receive monster traffic and force him to slow down and stealth through major sections of the map, giving us time to catch up. Should I be using them more aggressively somehow?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Most of the time the monster won't even know where they are, so unless they stealth all over the entire map as a monster you kind of just have to accept that the hunters will know where you are in some locations. They might show up in MONSTER SMELL MODE but I haven't tried that yet.

The best use I can find for them is creating a perimeter around an area you know the monster is in, or if you have no clue, placing them at major through fares / crossroads.

At stage 3 you can also use them to create a early warning system for the power relay.

Griffin's real power though is making whoever the monster is flip the gently caress out whenever you shoot a harpoon in their back. As soon as you do this you better be ready to move; 95% of the time the monster will be so mad at you they will spin around and charge non-stop until you are dead.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 17, 2015

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

They show up in smell yeah. Honestly Griffin kinda sucks against a good stealthy monster.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I assume Maggie is the preferred tracker if the monster's player is halfway decent at stealth? Because I can't possibly see Abe being able to effectively track after the monster figures out not to eat anything it hasn't killed, which seems to leave sonic spikes + cabot's dust, or follow the doge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Omi no Kami posted:

I assume Maggie is the preferred tracker if the monster's player is halfway decent at stealth? Because I can't possibly see Abe being able to effectively track after the monster figures out not to eat anything it hasn't killed, which seems to leave sonic spikes + cabot's dust, or follow the doge.

You can tag live things. It forces the monster to not eat anything where the hunters have been at all, which eventually becomes impossible (or at least impossible to keep track of). You will eventually eat a tag, but odds are bad that it's before you're getting your armor maxed out for your run on the power station.

Bucket works great for picking up slacker trackers, and lets you bring those sweet sweet harpoons/stasis grenades into play.

• Locked thread