Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Well Spider-verse was just plain bad now, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Well Spider-verse was just plain bad now, wasn't it?

I'm legitimately torn. The actual story, the main thrust of it was completely worthless. But most of the tie-ins were pretty amazing. Without this, we wouldn't have Spider-Gwen, Spider-Punk, or SP//dr. Hell most of the rest of the tie-ins were at least enjoyable. If Spider-mans VS Vampire: The Masquerade was the price to pay for these other, actually good stories then I'm ok with that.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I would never have thought that Gerard Way would be a good comics writer.

If you haven't checked it already, I can't recommend the Umbrella Academy enough. Crazy cool story and gorgeous art.

Dreqqus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 14, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought the 50th anniversary/Alpha took place before Superior kicked off?

Yeah, I thought we were talking about the plans after Amazing 700 and not back with Alpha debuting. But still, my point is Slott is so enamored with his own pet characters that he wanted the BIGGEST SPIDER-MAN EVENT EVER to not even have Peter Parker in it. Otto as Spider-Man is pretty much Slott's fantasy fulfillment and his Mary Sue character, it's disgusting.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Dreqqus posted:

If you haven't checked it already, I can't recommend the Umbrella Academy enough. Crazy cool story and gorgeous art.

Yeah, Umbrella Academy was a cool book.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dreqqus posted:

I'm legitimately torn. The actual story, the main thrust of it was completely worthless. But most of the tie-ins were pretty amazing. Without this, we wouldn't have Spider-Gwen, Spider-Punk, or SP//dr. Hell most of the rest of the tie-ins were at least enjoyable. If Spider-mans VS Vampire: The Masquerade was the price to pay for these other, actually good stories then I'm ok with that.

This event has pretty much solidified for me that Slott is a really, really great idea man, but when it comes to executing on those ideas he is the last person you want. He should really be an editor and not a writer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheJoker138 posted:

This event has pretty much solidified for me that Slott is a really, really great idea man, but when it comes to executing on those ideas he is the last person you want. He should really be an editor and not a writer.

For some reason the idea of being promoted through incompetence sits ill at ease with me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

For some reason the idea of being promoted through incompetence sits ill at ease with me.

But it's the American way?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Old discussion but i'm pretty excited for Silk, Slott has a good history of putting up something pretty bad and other writers doing something good with it, like with Alpha, SpOck and bringing Kaine back to life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Old discussion but i'm pretty excited for Silk, Slott has a good history of putting up something pretty bad and other writers doing something good with it, like with Alpha, SpOck and bringing Kaine back to life.

But can any writer overcome all the baggage of Silk's creation? Can anyone atone for her...Original Sin? :downsrim:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah. He knows how to make an interesting outline of a story, he just can't write the people and things that happen in it.

What the hell is the reading order of Spider Man Verse thingie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Someone being excited for Silk reminds me of DarkTitizme being really into the Nu 52 version of Starfire. Maybe the new writer will give her character traits other than "fucks Spider-Man a lot. Seriously they gently caress a LOT," but when that's the whole basis for a character I don't hold out a lot of hope.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The preview shows her happy to get in a normal fight against some C-lister called Dragonclaw, asking him if he stole that name from Pokemon and then wondering if Pokemon was still a thing, so that was fun. If we get into how the basis of the character is a creepy sex doll for Peter then yeah, i'll drop it, but after Alpha's cool mini and Kaine's fun run i'm pretty hopeful for this, Slott wrote a boring one dimensional thing, that means there's tons of room to actually make a character.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 15, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NutritiousSnack posted:

What the hell is the reading order of Spider Man Verse thingie?

Read the Spider-Verse team up comic, Scarlet Spiders, and Spider-Man 2099. Skip everythign else, especially Amazing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Soonmot posted:

Read the Spider-Verse team up comic, Scarlet Spiders, and Spider-Man 2099. Skip everythign else, especially Amazing.

When someone asks for a reading order don't give them one that leaves out a big chunk of the story

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's not even a crazy release schedule like say Black Vortex. You can just read the main series on it's own in Amazing Spider-Man 9-15, helpfully titled Spider-Verse Part 1-6 and Epilogue. You can read the spin off books like Edge of Spider-Verse if you want more information on the new characters or Spider-Woman, Scarlet Spiders or Spider-Man 2099 for those character. The main book even has editor notes to tell you where they take place.

Here's the crazy wikipedia schedule if you want to read everything:

Prelude

The Amazing Spider-Man #4-6
Edge of the Spider-Verse #1-5
Spider-Man 2099 #5
The Superior Spider-Man #32-33
The Amazing Spider-Man #7-8

Core series

The Amazing Spider-Man #9-15

Tie-ins

Scarlet Spiders #1-3
Spider-Man 2099 #6-8
Spider-Verse #1-2
Spider-Verse Team Up #1-3
Spider-Woman #1-4

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You lose nothing by not reading the main series except bad comics.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Waterhaul and soonmoot, haven't been following the main spidey book since Slott took over and just picked up the Team and Edge books because they looked fun.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

IIRC Spider-verse #2 has the Spider-punk story, so you need to read that. 2099 has two of the est moments in the story

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
So I just read Spider-Woman #4, and that was my first real experience reading anything related to Jess and Carol's friendship. Where can I get more of that? Should I be reading Captain Marvel?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Castomira posted:

So I just read Spider-Woman #4, and that was my first real experience reading anything related to Jess and Carol's friendship. Where can I get more of that? Should I be reading Captain Marvel?
Not really the current volume, since she's in space. The previous volume, though, had Jessica show up in a few stories. Both volumes were written by Kelly Sue Deconnick, you're looking for the one which started in 2012. You could also check out Deconnick's run on Avengers Assemble, which ran around the same time as her first Captain Marvel volume. She took over the book with #8.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
No one thought Captain Marvel came across as a bit of a dick in that avenging spidey issue?

Which I guess is good for the sake of a diverse cast??

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel it was not so much being diverse as it was DeConnick making her feelings on the Carol/Peter relationship known and trying to kill it asap

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Which is too bad, because it's the only relationship they've even hinted at since the marriage broke up that I gave even half a poo poo about.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I feel it was not so much being diverse as it was DeConnick making her feelings on the Carol/Peter relationship known and trying to kill it asap

What the hell happened?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
For the sake of discussion, does anybody else think that Spider-Gwen is going to need a slightly different powerset/armament if she's imported to the central storylines? Like, right now she has the exact same powers as Peter, which would be fine if things stayed like they were in her debut comic where she was the only spider, but if she starts appearing everywhere else during Secret Wars... she has narrower abilities than basically everyone but Anya (who currently has the most boring powerset she's ever had.)

Like, I don't know where the middle ground is with her between "giving her a distinct style" and "gilding the lily."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Elucidarius posted:

Well, just finished the Spider-Verse kind of lame ending, I thought.

Spoilers for Spider-Verse ending:
- Kinda bummed that Kaine died. Looks like it's permanent but I'm betting that post-Secret Wars Miles will be in the 616 as Scarlet Spider since Riley and Kaine are gone.

What happened to his comic series? I really enjoyed it at the time. Is it the end for that version of the character?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, god forbid anything interesting happen in Captain Marvel.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Shageletic posted:

What happened to his comic series? I really enjoyed it at the time. Is it the end for that version of the character?

With two flops under his belt Kaine is kaput.

Lurdiak posted:

It might have been more of her editorial interference or she just needed to make room for Rhody's collective two romantic appearances.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Shageletic posted:

Scarlet Spider was cancelled aaaaaaaages ago. They threw him into a reboot of New Warriors to try and keep him around but that lasted even less. There's no way he's totally dead though, he's already come back from the dead from being turned into a giant spider thing.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Supposedly it's going to be an ongoing, so like Kanie or something she'll move move to another city along with Miles and stuff.

Lurdiak posted:

What happened? Why are Rhodes/Carol a thing even when the writer doesn't seem interested in writing Rhodes.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 16, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The thing that has hampered like 90% of her Captain Marvel run. ~editorial changes~

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of Rhodey, didn't someone have a War Machine run a few years ago? It's fading in my memory as I type this... so forgettable.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of Rhodey, didn't someone have a War Machine run a few years ago? It's fading in my memory as I type this... so forgettable.

Yeah, but it was called Iron Man 2.0

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

It was an Iron Patriot run, actually.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

forgettable.

Yep that sounds like a war machine run alright.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Yeah, but it was called Iron Man 2.0

Yvonmukluk posted:

It was an Iron Patriot run, actually.

You're both right. And I bought them both because I'm a sucker for War Machine and neither was ever anything but subpar. (Iron Man 2.0 was egregiously bad because when you're writing a story about a guy called War Machine, whose whole gimmick is "having a suit designed to wreck poo poo harder than Iron Man" the best story to write with him is not a mystery where the final boss ends up being nanomachines and no one really gets wrecked)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

You're both right. And I bought them both because I'm a sucker for War Machine and neither was ever anything but subpar. (Iron Man 2.0 was egregiously bad because when you're writing a story about a guy called War Machine, whose whole gimmick is "having a suit designed to wreck poo poo harder than Iron Man" the best story to write with him is not a mystery where the final boss ends up being nanomachines and no one really gets wrecked)

What about a story arc where War Machine is a literal cyborg who is constantly bombarded with images of war crimes being committed to him 24/7 and those make him want to fly around and end all wars? Have him fight Ultimo, who can only be defeated by having Norman Osborn defeat him by showing that even he isn't 100% pure evil?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

The thing that has hampered like 90% of her Captain Marvel run. ~editorial changes~

Every single time it seems like that book is gaining steam something happens and it totally changes direction. And then it putters along, finally starts to gain traction, and bam, another complete direction change. This second volume has at least been a bit more stable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the difference between Captain and Ms Marvel is that Marvel Comics, and Marvel Studios/Entertainment both desperately want, even NEED the former to succeed, so they micromanage and focus test and try to broaden appeal for it at every turn, whereas Ms Marvel was kind of a happy accident that they're cool with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Or it could be that DeConnick is just kind of a middling writer since she has yet to do anything that's at all outstanding in or outside of Marvel

• Locked thread