Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

GutBomb posted:

Seems like a lot of effort for very little payoff.

Sounds like a good description of Top Gear to me.

I thought they were going for an easy punch when John said they'd be looking at Tobacco this week, I did not expect to see they're still selling Cigarettes to kids. Really looking forward to the fallout from this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fans posted:

I did not expect to see they're still selling Cigarettes to kids.

:lol: That has always been their key demographic. Good luck finding someone who didn't get hooked young.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Xoidanor posted:

:lol: That has always been their key demographic. Good luck finding someone who didn't get hooked young.

Yeah but there's at least a veneer over here that they're not 'really' doing it. Not just outright selling it outside schools.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fans posted:

Sounds like a good description of Top Gear to me.

I thought they were going for an easy punch when John said they'd be looking at Tobacco this week, I did not expect to see they're still selling Cigarettes to kids. Really looking forward to the fallout from this episode.

Duncan Bannatyne did a great documentary several years ago showing a lot about tobacco marketing in African countries and very little seems to have changed since. Its on Youtube if you're interested.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

njsykora posted:

Duncan Bannatyne did a great documentary several years ago showing a lot about tobacco marketing in African countries and very little seems to have changed since. Its on Youtube if you're interested.

Found it and thanks! I'll give it a watch now.

Edit: It's the guy off Dragon's Den? Weird to know he has a soul.

Edit Edit: Well that was depressing. A literal pile of cigarettes for people to swim in. What the gently caress.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 16, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This week's show really made me want a smoke.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IRQ posted:

This week's show really made me want a smoke.

Segment secretly funded by tobacco companies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fans posted:

Found it and thanks! I'll give it a watch now.

Edit: It's the guy off Dragon's Den? Weird to know he has a soul.

Edit Edit: Well that was depressing. A literal pile of cigarettes for people to swim in. What the gently caress.

He's pretty surprisingly principled, he quit the board of Comic Relief when it was found out they were investing in tobacco companies.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This show is just a master class in how to troll.

I want a Jeff! shirt but I"m pretty sure my wife who still smokes might murder me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xoidanor posted:

I still remember one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard was back in high school. I was taking the freshman journalism class in preparation to start writing the next year for the school paper, and there was this girl who smoked like a chimney who was bitching about another girl who "only smoked one cigarette a day to 'look cool'" and even then, "she lets most of it just burn down."

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Was this always in the intro, or did they put it in there as an hommage because of Stewarts announcement?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

richardfun posted:

Was this always in the intro, or did they put it in there as an hommage because of Stewarts announcement?

It's usually "Hostus Mostus" or something like that with Oliver, so no.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

richardfun posted:

That spot in the open (the very end before the title) is different nearly every episode.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Haha, I had to check who played Jeff in the costume was. Noel MacNeal, turns out! :credits:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

ufarn posted:

It's usually "Hostus Mostus" or something like that with Oliver, so no.

The hostus mostus was there this week too. Had to slow down the video to actually spot Stewart, I just got a flash of his name at the bottom at regular speed.

Anyway, a nice little hommage to Olivers mentor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the last thing before the title card in the opening is always something topical, I liked Jon getting in there.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Just for reference (and people were talking about anti-vaccination nutjobs) this was there last week:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know why everyone is so convinced that Oliver won't touch the whole vaccination debate (god why is this a debate). Sure, it's gotten plenty of attention in the media, but surely it could use LWT's long-form approach. I'd be surprised if John didn't talk about it at length eventually.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The only reason I can see him not doing it is he's tended to go for things that the media aren't covering at all, rather than a debate that's barely a debate beyond "You're loving stupid if you believe vaccination is dangerous" by now.

Seems like better fodder for a "How is this still a thing?" segment than the ending segment.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I usually think that hashtag campaigns are a waste of time, but I have to admire how much effort John Oliver put into this stunt with Jeff.

rapeface posted:

If you think Phillip Morris taking Australia to an international court is bad, you should learn about the proposed Transpacific Partnership agreement. Here's the Australian perspective: http://www.getup.org.au/tpp
This deserves a "main story" segment. The problem is that the American and Canadian governments support it, so perhaps some public shaming may do something.

Fans posted:

Seems like better fodder for a "How is this still a thing?" segment than the ending segment.
That's what the issue deserves. Vaccination is too cut-and-dry of an issue to dedicate to an episode's main story.

Speaking of which, the segment the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue was great, even if they did answer their own question (it sells more than any other issue of SI).

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 17, 2015

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
They pretty much already did the segment they could do on vaccination with the global warming segment.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think with the recent Disney incident we've hopefully turned a corner and a "how is this still a thing" segment this season would just feel late to the party.

The stupidity of anti vax people is pretty astounding though so maybe a little piling on is necessary just to make sure the message sinks in.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Y-Hat posted:

Speaking of which, the segment the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue was great, even if they did answer their own question (it sells more than any other issue of SI).
The vagina. The vagina is what's left.

I'm glad they focused on the inherent "ew" factor of people who adore it. It wasn't so much "why does SI still sell it", more like "why do people still buy it"?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't know why everyone is so convinced that Oliver won't touch the whole vaccination debate (god why is this a debate). Sure, it's gotten plenty of attention in the media, but surely it could use LWT's long-form approach. I'd be surprised if John didn't talk about it at length eventually.
Because long-form LWT is about bringing attention to awful poo poo that coasts under the radar, not just piling on the hot button issues.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

richardfun posted:

I think this season they've started having the last one be something topical. I think they had one last week too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The last frame has always changed week-to-week and is usually topical. How did y'all miss this throughout the whole of season one?

I'm pretty sure they swapped out some parts of the larger, generally unchanging collage too, between seasons, but I didn't actually pause and compare.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

pokeyman posted:

The last frame has always changed week-to-week and is usually topical. How did y'all miss this throughout the whole of season one?

I don't think that started until late in season one. It was [Florida] (Insanus Maximus) for a very long time.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Max22 posted:

I don't think that started until late in season one. It was [Florida] (Insanus Maximus) for a very long time.

To be fair that one is always topical.

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

Can anyone explain why exactly Florida has such a population of loons? Is it the humidity?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

one sexy loser posted:

Can anyone explain why exactly Florida has such a population of loons? Is it the humidity?

Well, for one thing, it's a topsy-turvy state. The more north you go, the deeper into the south you get.

Second, according to a documentary on sinkholes I watched last night, the whole state is sitting on soggy, swiss-cheeselike limestone. Maybe some primal part of the old lizard brain is constantly screaming get the gently caress out before the ground eats you and that sort of existential terror gets to people.

Third, it is the only place in the world where alligators and crocodiles coexist. Why have they struck this uneasy peace? To better hunt us.

Fourth, it's very humid. Like, soggy as balls.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

axeil posted:

I think this season they've started having the last one be something topical. I think they had one last week too.

Yeah the last picture always changes to something topical.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
They switched off Florida in episode 7. Here's all of them so far!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Renewed for a 3rd and 4th season!
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/17/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-renewed-for-seasons-3-4-by-hbo/364390/

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

pokeyman posted:

They switched off Florida in episode 7. Here's all of them so far!
Thank god, I thought we were going to groundhog day this conversation forever.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

This show is just a master class in how to troll.

I want a Jeff! shirt but I"m pretty sure my wife who still smokes might murder me.

Just wait a few years until she's dead.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

gently caress yeah. Color me unsurprised, though-- the show is a loving massive hit, critically and otherwise. HBO would be foolish to not lock down John with the TDS change-over coming up in the future. Imagine if he jumped ship back to TDS after season 2? It'd be a coup.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Probably was gonna happen, but I'd wager Oliver's folks used the opening at the Daily Show as leverage to get it signed sooner. Good!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
ahahahaha

http://www.avclub.com/article/tobacco-company-relies-skewing-facts-decries-john--215375

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

quote:

But more than anything, Oliver’s words could prove toxic to the people—the people who work at Philip Morris.

Solid writing.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Philip Morris posted:

"While we recognize the tobacco industry is an easy target for comedians, we take seriously the responsibility that comes with selling a product that is an adult choice and is harmful to health."

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Filed under: Bullshit statements

• Locked thread