Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Those both work really well.

Power syncs so well I wonder if the animators had it on while working - its exactly the right length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ths just reminds me of when nerds got salty over the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer and went on to unironically applauded for this version.

I don't think it's entirely just because oh no it's not my bad white 80's metal, I think it's more that nerds are literally too shallow and too dumb to understand how music and visuals go together and just want MY MUSIC alongside MY IMAGES. Videos with fitting music? Uh, excuse me, have you considered playing entirely uncomplimentary music so long as it's the genre I approve of???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's not really much more complex than "I LIKE THIS MUSIC WHY ISN'T THIS MUSIC IN EVERYTHING?!"

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ths just reminds me of when nerds got salty over the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer and went on to unironically applauded for this version.

I don't think it's entirely just because oh no it's not my bad white 80's metal, I think it's more that nerds are literally too shallow and too dumb to understand how music and visuals go together and just want MY MUSIC alongside MY IMAGES. Videos with fitting music? Uh, excuse me, have you considered playing entirely uncomplimentary music so long as it's the genre I approve of???

Honestly I have literally both of these songs on my jogging mix.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm uncertain about the offset, but this came to mind on the topic of Chef Death Angel.

Edit: Or there's something a bit more...biting. (Couldn't get Dengue Fever to work, sadly.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 15, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

There's only one appropriate choice of song for Sci-Fi Vietnam. :colbert:

Ahem.

(I'd use the original, but the longer intro of this version makes things sync up later)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mendrian posted:

Honestly I have literally both of these songs on my jogging mix.

Yeah, while I agree that flipping out over the song in the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer is dumb (it's both a good song and appropriate for the trailer) Perturbator is the poo poo, so uh...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, while I agree that flipping out over the song in the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer is dumb (it's both a good song and appropriate for the trailer) Perturbator is the poo poo, so uh...
It's a great song which doesn't match the video at all.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zereth posted:

Absolutely, I just don't want to see Perturbator become a casualty in the War Against Basic Nerds.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Yeah, it's somebody trying to shove a very nice square peg into a round hole.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I watched the trailer again and lol, the song is absolutely perfect. A cybernetic fashion model murderer is getting shot as the lyrics say "bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky" as the camera pans up to the sky. In the end she is recruited by the police, and one of the refrains of the song is "personal responsibility". How the hell does anyone cry that it isn't synth????

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The thing is, even though its a very good song, we also felt maybe it wasn't quite spot on for the trailer, and set out to find some alternate selections.

Why not look to Games Workshop themselves? D-Rok, the hottest band signed by Warhammer Records fits quite well.

(Man, the original trailer was great. Deathwing Company for life.)

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's not just that, it's having a very limited view of what is appropriate for a genre as well. Cyberpunk can only have synth, Terminators annihilating Genestealers can only have Gothic chants, superheroes can only have orchestral overtures, swordsmen running through dungeons can only have power metal, etc.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 15, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
We posting links to songs? I can do that. Here's what I've been listening to

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have not seen Death Parade, but I adore its opening song.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Lightning Lord posted:

Why not look to Games Workshop themselves? D-Rok, the hottest band signed by Warhammer Records fits quite well.

(Man, the original trailer was great. Deathwing Company for life.)

It's not just that, it's having a very limited view of what is appropriate for a genre as well. Cyberpunk can only have synth, Terminators annihilating Genestealers can only have Gothic chants, superheroes can only have orchestral overtures, swordsmen running through dungeons can only have power metal, etc.

It could also be that they themselves don't actually know many other genres.

I'm reminded of that dude on ENWorld way back who tried to make a witty point about how only the editions they liked were good and tried to compare it to music, only for it to immediately fall apart because they didn't listen to enough music to make an actual comparison.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know I am way behind but to be fair none of those YouDubber links loaded for me yesterday :mad:

The Deleter posted:

I think that music owns and if GW advertised their stuff with more flavourful trailers like that then

Well, it wouldn't solve anything, but I think they could do a lot more with a product's advertising and/or score if they strayed away from orchestral/metal crap and went for more characterful styles sometimes. This could apply to a lot of things, mind. :v:
Your point has helped me realize why I am not happy with the original OR any of the parodies: the problem is not that they only use orchestral or metal, it is that they do not use orchestral metal.

ProfessorCirno posted:

This will go great with the first part of my post, but I think the original song is terrible in part because it randomly switches to metal at the end. Plus Perturbator is amazing, even though I think you definitely would need either sparse vocals or sparse voice acting for any good song. So really both fail in different ways in my opinion :haw:

Lightning Lord posted:

I watched the trailer again and lol, the song is absolutely perfect. A cybernetic fashion model murderer is getting shot as the lyrics say "bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky" as the camera pans up to the sky. In the end she is recruited by the police, and one of the refrains of the song is "personal responsibility". How the hell does anyone cry that it isn't synth????
I am not sure what it is about the guy's voice but I did not even hear him sing anything besides "personal responsibility," which I actually thought was a hilarious commentary on how obviously this woman was just trying to pull herself up by her cybernetic razorbootstraps.

Anyway, here, I think I can solve this problem

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, the original is still better.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Zereth nailed it, I think.

Zereth posted:

But it's good we had a page proving Cirno's point so clearly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I was assuming a lot of the "let's switch audio" links were jokes since as other people have noted, the thing being used loads really slowly if at all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure they were :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

Pretty sure they were :v:

This

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So what are your guys thoughts on the Eoris Essence RPG ?

On 2/10 this was posted on RPG net.

quote:

We are very sorry to inform that on February the 15th 2015 the remaining books of Eoris Essence will be destroyed. We simply do not have the resources to keep the books in storage anymore and have no alternate choice.

This is the last week to get a copy.

We love and appreciate those who followed us during these harsh years and apologise to those who could have gotten a book but will not be able to.

Sincerely,

Daniel Torres

The two hardcover books were selling at $30 on Amazon.

Since then the following has been posted. (2/14)

quote:

Dear RPG community,

We are more than glad, ecstatic in fact, to tell you that as of now, Saturday the 14, 2015 you (yes, you) have saved the Eoris Essence Books from advent obliteration.

Despite our profound love and dedication to the project there were many reasons for which it had become impossible for us to do anything but send them to the shredder. All these reasons related to that gruesome lover we all share, money. Charities would not receive them, universities and schools would take only a pair each, lowering the price had become an impossibility and fixing the shipping problems to Canada and other places was a frustrating impossibility. Amazon charges monthly fees to keep the fulfilment system active, to keep the books ready to ship, to keep the site up and the rating system working and to have the books stored. Add to the equation the constant aggravation of having two and half jobs that barely make the cut and an undeserving city crawling with thieves hidden on every tier of the political structure, making the dark flow of a river of raw petroleum seem like the pristine streams pre-Columbian natives used to enjoy before industry came along, compared to the traffic jams we endure daily.

At heart, what I am trying to say is: things have been rough for the project. With little money there is little power of action. When the time came to pay nearly three million pesos to keep the books on storage for another six months, we had to make the hard choice of letting them go. With a heavy heart but a smile of satisfaction in our faces, after years of giving our best and trying hard and steadily to keep the project going, we called Amazon, quoted the costs of destruction versus sending the books elsewhere and cried a bit inside when the obvious choice was death for Eoris.

Alas, I sent you guys the letter on February the tenth at nine pm. It took us a while to notice your reaction. When we did see the forum again and read your comments our heart pumped like that of a virgin on her wedding night. We saw how tens, then thousands entered the forum, how hundreds spoke on our behalf and how your words were of nothing but concern for Eoris and love for what we did. It was then that we called our new administrator Augusto Ghimenti, a god’s soul if ever you meet one, and asked if there was any way to save the books.

Amazon held 619 books and charged approximately $1,600 USD to keep them in store for an extra semester plus the monthly fees, which amounted to $2,000 something USD. Out of every sold book we get to keep only $19 USD, which meant that we would have to sell more or less 85 books. In this week alone and thanks to your great response and drive to get a hold of the wounded creature before it went extinct, we sold thirty-two books (last I checked) and had sold another sixty-one books over the last year which pushed us high enough to make a sacrifice, pay the difference, and see the books through another term.

In essence, you guys saved our project and showed us we did not just create a meme rpg in the forever alone category but a book worthy of having and keeping. From the bottom of our hearts we thank you and thank you again.

Daniel Torres

P.S. I don’t have Augusto with me at the moment so the numbers may be off… we will give you the full detail soon enough.

In 2011 Eoris won two Ennies, for interior and cover art.

I believe there were 500 books in the warehouse minus what has been sold.

Thoughts? Anyone ever played it?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The only thing I know about Eoris is it's hilarious character sheet.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

The only thing I know about Eoris is it's hilarious character sheet.

I suppose we really can't have a conversation about Eoris without it can we. :haw:

It's like White Wolf meets Continuum meets Anima.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Helical Nightmares posted:

I suppose we really can't have a conversation about Eoris without it can we. :haw:

It's like White Wolf meets Continuum meets Anima.
:gonk:

That's so insanely terrible! Who has time for that poo poo? What's with those big chart things?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Since my bad TOR thread apparently died, here's a review I wrote for cool game site GamerXP.

http://www.gamer-xp.com/tor-the-darkening-of-mirkwood-review-wherein-things-get-worse-than-ever/

It's the big 50-year campaign for TOR. It's a good book.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dwarf74 posted:

:gonk:

That's so insanely terrible! Who has time for that poo poo? What's with those big chart things?

Based on what I've seen from the Fatal And Friends thread, almost every gamer from the 90s thought they needed to have time for this poo poo. Based on stuff like TORG's insane rules, White Wolf's being White Wolf, Shadowrun's everything...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

:psyduck: What does all this even do? It's like someone just vomited random words onto a piece of paper and put little circles by things. And what are those matrices in the middle?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Welcome to the SAT 2.0.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Worth noting forums poster hyphz did a review of Eoris Essence for the F&F thread.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I remember being at the Compleat Strategist in NY years ago when somebody in the store had ordered a copy of Eoris just out of sheer, morbid curiosity. The manager, a few other customers, and I were just gaping at this... thing as we turned the pages, wondering not only why someone would write a furry Final-Fantasy-hack RPG that made Rifts look streamlined, but how this writer managed to get the money to produce a book with production values like this. It's an anomaly of a book, made with the production values of a glossy, 10lb. coffee-table art book.

The other funny bit was that the stat adjustments for starting character age went all the way to early childhood, so if you ever dreamed of playing a 6-month old baby, here's the game for you, I guess.

One customer theorized that some nerd ended up receiving a big inheritance and used it to fund the dream of taking his house-ruled RPG, because whoever made this thing obviously had money than common sense.

Unsurprisingly, Eoris failed, but now the tribalism brought about by Geek Social Fallacy is resurrecting its corpse. "Who cares if it's a bad, unplayable game that nobody played? We should throw more money at this guy to bring it back because he's One of Us!"

*sigh*

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, Eoris does look amazing.

Maybe some level of explaining its existence is tied into its Colombian roots. I mean, from what I gathered from my wife's Colombian friend, you can get almost anything done for a fraction of the USA price there--does that extend to RPG art? Hey, why not?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I spent a few years assuming Eoris was a practical joke, since all anyone I'd ever met had ever seen of it was the character sheet - as far as I could tell, the book didn't exist.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Quarex posted:

Maybe some level of explaining its existence is tied into its Colombian roots.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug?

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I picked up a copy during my regrettable collector phase. It currently serves as my girlfriend's monitor stand and is one of the few games I own that I wouldn't ever run even out of sheer curiosity.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Eoris the Icelandic word for Calvinball?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Really Pants posted:

Is Eoris the Icelandic word for Calvinball?

"My DeviantArt original universe fanfiction" actually.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"Furry Final Fantasy?" I don't recall much about Eoris, but I could've sworn it was more dream-logic-y bullshit, like an extremely low-rent Nobilis plus lots of Anima. At least that's the impression I got when (I'm pretty sure) they talked about drawing influence from Winnie the Pooh and the Neverending Story, and playing, like, any character from children's fiction all in one big group. It sounded like a clusterfuck, but so does everything else about the game from top to bottom, including its development history.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plague of Hats posted:

"Furry Final Fantasy?" I don't recall much about Eoris, but I could've sworn it was more dream-logic-y bullshit, like an extremely low-rent Nobilis plus lots of Anima. At least that's the impression I got when (I'm pretty sure) they talked about drawing influence from Winnie the Pooh and the Neverending Story, and playing, like, any character from children's fiction all in one big group. It sounded like a clusterfuck, but so does everything else about the game from top to bottom, including its development history.

Eoris is big on wolves, like super loving big on wolves to the point where the ur-species in the setting is some sort of wolf that can also turn into a not-human but isn't really a werewolf exactly, plus you have like two kinds of playable wolves as well as a bunch of other animal people races in addition to Xagglemorphs and Ylrisians or whatever bullshit fantasy glossolalia the game uses for "elves and humans" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

inklesspen posted:

Worth noting forums poster hyphz did a review of Eoris Essence for the F&F thread.

I feel bad for the person that wrote all that.

• Locked thread