Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Zaa Boogie posted:

Man, with all these reports I'm reading I'm kinda glad I just walked into a Gamestop and preordered one when I had the chance last week.

Same, but I did it a month ahead and paid it down then because I'm always an early adopter. I wanted to get the MM n3ds, but the red one is pretty drat nice on it's own. I'll probably slap a decal on it later, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I found a black New XL at a Walmart on my way to work, won't open until tomorrow morning since it's a holiday here. Guess I'll go pick it up then.

EBGames.com also had stock for a short while this morning, but now both red and black are out. Seems like they get regular stock online since it was showing as OOS yesterday and then available this morning. Should have just bought online but I figured it would be around for a while. Oops!

I wonder if I'm worrying about nothing, and BestBuy/etc will have stock later this week anyway. I'd rather not buy from Walmart but mehh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

For 3D, obviously.

And I can confirm that Plex works on 3DS AND that any side-by-side or top/bottom formatted 3D video file, in either orientation, is compatible with the 3DS Web Browser's Video Player!

Well, the file I just tried didn't work. It's in a .mp4 container but has .aac audio, maybe the audio track is the problem?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
How hard is system transfer. I hear some horror stories about it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cyron posted:

It's easy if you can follow simple instructions, aka the hardest loving thing in the universe if you are a videogame journalist.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Cyron posted:

How good are you at unscrewing things? Just select you have a micro sd in the system and it takes 20 minutes. Once done copy the data using a pc. The screws however are the tough part.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tormented posted:

I just bought the new 3ds. This is my first portable system since my PSP days. I'm debating that I should have gotten a Vita instead but I think I know all of one person with it.
You picked correctly. My Vita sits in a drawer while my 3DS gets regular use. Heck, my PSP still gets more use these days than my Vita.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
Maybe this has been discussed before, if so sorry. Why doesn't Amazon have the new 3DS yet or is it just sold out there? I have gift cards to burn.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Well, the file I just tried didn't work. It's in a .mp4 container but has .aac audio, maybe the audio track is the problem?

I had to go into the plex settings and turn the local stream quality way down to get it to work. After that the image quality was so lovely it wasn't worth it, 3d but lovely

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KillGizmo posted:

Maybe this has been discussed before, if so sorry. Why doesn't Amazon have the new 3DS yet or is it just sold out there? I have gift cards to burn.

Amazon and Nintendo aren't playing nice?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Cyron posted:

The left is my old XL the right is my NEW XL.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

KillGizmo posted:

Amazon does not sell Nintendo hardware. Third party sellers do.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

Wamdoodle posted:

Amazon does not sell Nintendo hardware. Third party sellers do.

OK did not know that. Thanks Wam.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Cyron posted:

How hard is watching TV while Nintendo does all the work?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got some practice unscrewing today when my friend came over to get his own 3DS unscrewed. It wasn't too hard, just a bit rough on my fingers prying it open since the stylus didn't seem to do the trick. But I feel confident in my ability. I knew I shouldn't have worried in the first place.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I saw that system transfer video and it made sense and all that but I just want to make sure: I have the MH4 system with the game preinstalled and way too many games on my old system to fit into the tiny 4GB microSD card. In order to transfer everything and not lose monhun, what would I need to do?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Calaveron posted:

So I saw that system transfer video and it made sense and all that but I just want to make sure: I have the MH4 system with the game preinstalled and way too many games on my old system to fit into the tiny 4GB microSD card. In order to transfer everything and not lose monhun, what would I need to do?

You won't lose Monster Hunter. If it's a preinstalled game, when you do the system transfer it's going to combine it with the Nintendo ID you port over. You'll be able to go into the E-Shop to reinstall it.

Same thing happened with me when I got a Mario and Luigi 3DS. I was able to redownload it fine even though I never bought it digitally.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

The left is my old XL the right is my NEW XL.

This story cannot be told without telling us the conclusion :ohdear:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Calaveron posted:

Probably the limited transfer and re-download what you need plus MH4.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zaa Boogie posted:

You won't lose Monster Hunter. If it's a preinstalled game, when you do the system transfer it's going to combine it with the Nintendo ID you port over. You'll be able to go into the E-Shop to reinstall it.

Same thing happened with me when I got a Mario and Luigi 3DS. I was able to redownload it fine even though I never bought it digitally.

What about all my old games/save data for those games? Should I change the 4gb sd card to a bigger one before doing the transfer? Or after transferring/before redownloading monhun?

EDIT: I understand I'll be able to redownload my eshop games, but I don't want to lose my saves on my games.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

What about all my old games/save data for those games? Should I change the 4gb sd card to a bigger one before doing the transfer? Or after transferring/before redownloading monhun?

That's up to you. If you do a Limited Wireless transfer it'll move all your saved games over to the 4gb card already in the system and you'll have to redownload any other digital games manually. Your saves will still be there for them. And you can still redownload MH4.

If you *did* want to get a bigger card for your New 3DS you'll be transferring files using your computer. You'd do this during the transfer after it's moved over all your licenses and says to have your new card put into the system. That's the way I'm most familiar with since it's what I did.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: I understand I'll be able to redownload my eshop games, but I don't want to lose my saves on my games.

Copy the data on your current SD card on PC via card reader and copy on a microSD big enough to hold it. The system will ask whether you'll be using the microSD currently in the target system or not (shortly before starting the transfer).

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fryhtaning posted:

This story cannot be told without telling us the conclusion :ohdear:

It formatted my original XL and the n3ds rebooted a few times. I plunked RuneFactory 4 in and booted up my saved game so :shrug:

I guess it is working as expected?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Healbot posted:

Copy the data on your current SD card on PC via card reader and copy on a microSD big enough to hold it. The system will ask whether you'll be using the microSD currently in the target system or not (shortly before starting the transfer).

So I set up my new 3ds, do a system transfer indicating I will be using another card, do the transfer, then using my PC copy the data over to my larger SD card and replace that right?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
What's loving fascinating about this system transfer stuff is we're presumably a community filled with people who know how to do things like read and use a computer. I can't imagine some know-nothing parent being able to deal with this poo poo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

io_burn posted:

What's loving fascinating about this system transfer stuff is we're presumably a community filled with people who know how to do things like read and use a computer. I can't imagine some know-nothing parent being able to deal with this poo poo.

If anything, know-nothing parents are better at RTFM than the average goon. In reality, the system transfer stuff is really well-documented on Nintendo's site. It even has an idiot-proof self-guided FAQ for every specific upgrade path.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

io_burn posted:

There's nothing to deal with, the answer to every transfer question is "it works like it should, stop worrying you stupid loving nerd".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Fryhtaning posted:

If anything, know-nothing parents are better at RTFM than the average goon. In reality, the system transfer stuff is really well-documented on Nintendo's site. It even has an idiot-proof self-guided FAQ for every specific upgrade path.
I think this is it, it's the easiest loving thing and everyone seems incredibly obsessed about it being complicated. Considering people have likely swapped out their system's SD card for a bigger one (if they're concerned about the 4GB card not being big enough), they're surely ok with copying files from one SD card to another.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Tormented posted:

I just bought the new 3ds. This is my first portable system since my PSP days. I'm debating that I should have gotten a Vita instead but I think I know all of one person with it. Anything I should know and what games are good to grab for someone looking for a deep gaming experience?

This is my first Nintendo console since the original gameboy. (Virtual Boy never happened.)

I've picked up a handful games. My favorites are Super Mario 3D Land and Bravely Default. Also, the Azure Striker GUNVOLT theme is the manliest theme for the 3DS. It will suffice until Space Dandy's glorious pompadour graces the Nintendo universe.

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The hardest part about the system transfer was having to do it an hour before work, forgetting my NNID password, then having my recently downloaded anti-virus decide yahoo mail was not a "safe site" and blocking my access to it. None of that had anything to do with the actual process though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Red Robin Hood posted:

It formatted my original XL and the n3ds rebooted a few times. I plunked RuneFactory 4 in and booted up my saved game so :shrug:

I guess it is working as expected?

Physical cartridges always have the saves stored on them. System Transfer is important only in that it lets you keep your download licenses, and any saves for games downloaded to your SD card.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Calaveron posted:

So I set up my new 3ds, do a system transfer indicating I will be using another card, do the transfer, then using my PC copy the data over to my larger SD card and replace that right?

Yup, as long as the card you'll be using in the end is a microSD.
The transfer explains it in rather great detail, so do not fear the transfer, fear the screwing around.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Zore posted:

Physical cartridges always have the saves stored on them. System Transfer is important only in that it lets you keep your download licenses, and any saves for games downloaded to your SD card.

Oh, well... I guess I don't know.

My NNID was on my new system so I figured it was OK. Now I'm worried :ohdear:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Chronojam posted:

I got the last New 3DS at the store, and when I got it home it skipped the setup to go right to the Sonic theme with four Miis created. No NNID though or anything. They did charge me full price for a new unit, I figure I can complain for a discount?

if they dont want to give you a discount just return it and buy an actual new one when they get more stock

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For those looking for systems in their area, make sure you check your local Toys 'R Uses... I just checked mine after all the Gamestops, Targets, Best Buys, and Walmarts were out, and it had them in stock. Bought it online for store pickup and when I showed up they had about 10 of each color sitting on the shelf, plus a promotion for $10 off if you also buy Majora's Mask with it, which I did. Also grabbed a spiffy Power A universal charging kit that has a car charger, a multi-prong cable that's pretty long (6ft) and the standard AC adapter for $15. Not a bad deal at all, if I do say so myself.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zore posted:

i believe there are a few carts that save to the sd card. i think someone mentioned that persona q gives you the option last time this got brought up

quite a few games like monster hunter store "extra data" on there which is often dlc but could be other poo poo too who knows

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

How long is MH4 taking to DL from the eShop for the rest of you? I set it downloading and it's been going for an hour with no sign of stopping... I normally get 2.5 MB/sec off stuff like Steam, wondering how lovely Nintendo's servers are right now... considering it's Nintendo, I'm going to assume really lovely.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fuzz posted:

How long is MH4 taking to DL from the eShop for the rest of you? I set it downloading and it's been going for an hour with no sign of stopping... I normally get 2.5 MB/sec off stuff like Steam, wondering how lovely Nintendo's servers are right now... considering it's Nintendo, I'm going to assume really lovely.

I think it took like 15-20 minutes for me, maybe shorter than that even. Are you downloading it in sleep mode? Anytime I've downloaded stuff that way it was super slow

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 17, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it took like 15-20 minutes for me. Are you downloading it in sleep mode? Anytime I've downloaded stuff that way it was super slow

Tried it both ways, seems to be taking its sweetass time either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

Oh, well... I guess I don't know.

My NNID was on my new system so I figured it was OK. Now I'm worried :ohdear:

Yeah, it doesn't matter what was on the new system when you do the transfer. You'll port over the NNID from the old one and override whatever's on there.

Regardless, they do kinda tell you not to put an ID on a new system before you do a transfer.