Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

togetic
Mar 24, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

NNIDs were added to the 3DS in 2013, and that made it a lot easier on Nintendo's end to do manual remote transfers. If your original system predated that and never had an NNID attached to it, there's probably still not anything they can do.

Really? Thanks for the info. My original system was from late 2011, but I made purchases on it up until 2013. Would accessing the e-shop generate an NNID, or is that something I would've had to do manually?

If not, it still sucks, but I feel better knowing that it's a technical problem and not Nintendo giving me the runaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

noirstronaut posted:

Why would you want Plex on your 3DS when you probably have a smartphone with an actual good screen

For 3D, obviously.

And I can confirm that Plex works on 3DS AND that any side-by-side or top/bottom formatted 3D video file, in either orientation, is compatible with the 3DS Web Browser's Video Player!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

togetic posted:

Really? Thanks for the info. My original system was from late 2011, but I made purchases on it up until 2013. Would accessing the e-shop generate an NNID, or is that something I would've had to do manually?

If not, it still sucks, but I feel better knowing that it's a technical problem and not Nintendo giving me the runaround.

You had to have done it on your 3DS. If one was never made on that system, you're sorta boned.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

DoctorWhat posted:

For 3D, obviously.

And I can confirm that Plex works on 3DS AND that any side-by-side or top/bottom formatted 3D video file, in either orientation, is compatible with the 3DS Web Browser's Video Player!

Outstanding!

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Just a heads-up: amazon uk have stock of the MM 3ds XL - http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Nintendo-Zelda-Majoras-Mask/dp/B00SFMM0BW/ref=zg_bs_635623031_8

Direct from amazon, though they're still doing a bit of scalping. Still, it's better than paying some random prat £275+.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

OneTrueBru posted:

Just a heads-up: amazon uk have stock of the MM 3ds XL - http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Nintendo-Zelda-Majoras-Mask/dp/B00SFMM0BW/ref=zg_bs_635623031_8

Direct from amazon, though they're still doing a bit of scalping. Still, it's better than paying some random prat £275+.
That's 344 USD for anyone curious. Better than any deal in America but still a stupid amount for a paint job.

That said I'm still looking for one if anyone finds 'em at, y'know, reasonable prices.

Edit: This does make me curious. Exactly how many regions are there for Nintendo products (region-locking-wise) and is Europe in the same one as America or something?
I should stop assuming all posts are for Americans. For anyone curious, though, here: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Regions

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 16, 2015

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah that post was obviously meant for PAL crowds, but just so you know, the European Majora's N3DS comes with the game, so the price is not that bad.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

OneTrueBru posted:

This is interesting because I have a standing preorder with amazon.fr and apparently they don't know when/if they will ever fulfill it. Welp

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Zat posted:

Yeah that post was obviously meant for PAL crowds, but just so you know, the European Majora's N3DS comes with the game, so the price is not that bad.

Yeah, a standard 3ds XL with no games is £180 (~$275) in the UK, so the MM one isn't too bad at all - even with amazon slapping an extra £15 onto the MSRP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

togetic posted:

Anyone who's had Nintendo do a manual system transfer, what are the magic words that got them to pay attention to you?

Way back when I upgraded to the XL, I was ignorant of the transfer procedure and traded my old 3DS toward the new hardware. I went back and forth with Nintendo for the better part of a month trying to get my purchases restored, and they told me to go gently caress myself.

Now I'm on the New 3DS and I'd still really like to have my old account back, but I have no idea what to do. I'm in Taiwan/using a JP system and unfortunately telling us to gently caress ourselves is Nintendo's standard policy; the TW system plays like 12 games and the attitude toward localization is "practice your Japanese". :(

My housemate had to call and have Nintendo transfer stuff and all it took was about 20 minutes stuck on hold and then 15 minutes talking to a rep who just told him "okay, the transfer will be done in 24-72 hours, please don't buy anything off the eshop til then"

This was NOA though, perhaps its different elsewhere in the world.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think your problem was this was a couple years ago before 3ds had NNID. So really there's nothing you can do, they don't have the data on what your system was, and neither do you since I doubt you have your serial number. In fact whoever bought that system probably has registered their own NNID to it by now and those games belong to shim.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn't bother with Smash 3DS if you have a Wii U unless you absolutely need portable Smash.

I'm gonna be contrary and say that 3DS Smash definitely has it's merits over the Wii U version.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wildtortilla posted:

Go through Nintendo's website support.

3D chat: I think the 3D effect in FE:A is really great. It actually helps me spot terrain features like walls, mountains, tiny one man paths. It's pretty cool! (Once I see how the map is laid out I switch off 3D)

Ok, thanks. Real quick Q for anyone else. Should I hold on to my memory card and send in just the console? Anyone experience a long turn around?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm gonna be contrary and say that 3DS Smash definitely has it's merits over the Wii U version.
Apart from portability and Smash Run being a lot more fun than Smash Tour, what would these actually be?

I'll say that I haven't actually tried playing the 3DS version since I got the Wii U, though. Still working on unlocking things and clearing challenges and stuff on U, one stupid 3DS challenge remaining... I should do that some time but gently caress that hat unlocking seriously

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So right now I have an (old) 3DS XL, that I basically gave to my wife. It is the Zelda edition that came with ALBW installed.

I want to buy the New 3DS XL, but is there any way to transfer Zelda from the old system to the new one, but leave the saves for Pokemon/Animal Crossing (which are my wife's games basically and I don't want her save files). Or are the save files for Pokemon X / Animal Crossing on the game card, and not the SD card, and I don't have to worry about that and can just do a System Transfer?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Meta Ridley posted:

So right now I have an (old) 3DS XL, that I basically gave to my wife. It is the Zelda edition that came with ALBW installed.

I want to buy the New 3DS XL, but is there any way to transfer Zelda from the old system to the new one, but leave the saves for Pokemon/Animal Crossing (which are my wife's games basically and I don't want her save files). Or are the save files for Pokemon X / Animal Crossing on the game card, and not the SD card, and I don't have to worry about that and can just do a System Transfer?

Physical cart saves are on the carts.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

KennyMan666 posted:

Apart from portability and Smash Run being a lot more fun than Smash Tour, what would these actually be?

I'll say that I haven't actually tried playing the 3DS version since I got the Wii U, though. Still working on unlocking things and clearing challenges and stuff on U, one stupid 3DS challenge remaining... I should do that some time but gently caress that hat unlocking seriously

Better Classic Mode and less bullshit challenges (only one challenge on 3DS is what I'd call bullshit, and you've already mentioned it), easier to get custom moves, and a more personalized experience: You can have your favorite palette swap as the default and you can customize the controls the way you please, and I can say that all the records I've done on 3DS Smash are my own records. The single-player experience becomes better overall than the Wii U version because of this (which has resulted in me playing Smash on 3DS way way more than Smash on Wii U). I also think that the way the C-Stick is used on the 3DS version (if you're using the n3DS models) when you're battling is better than on the Wii U. The only things I miss in 3DS Smash that is on Wii U Smash is Event Mode and Crazy Orders, but Events can be very frustrating and Crazy Orders, whle having it's own perks like being endurance-based, isn't as enjoyable to me as 3DS Classic Mode (the mode it resembles the most) and at times feels like a bare-bones version of it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

noirstronaut posted:

Physical cart saves are on the carts.

That makes everything simple. Thanks

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

Ok, thanks. Real quick Q for anyone else. Should I hold on to my memory card and send in just the console? Anyone experience a long turn around?

When I sent my console in for a dead pixel repair it was before I had purchased anything on the eShop. I sent in only my console, I kept the sd card and stylus. The process you go through on their website tells you everything to include (most likely only the console). My return process was painless until UPS lost my console returning it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RE: Smash guy

I think I actually prefer Wii U Classic mode. Agree with you on challenges, though - 8 Lucina Cruel KOs, seriously? And of course that's unhammerable. But I've found custom move unlocking to be faster on Wii U, not in the least thanks to Crazy Orders that lets you aim for certain character's moves and certainly has felt like the best way to unlock just about everything. I imported all my custom characters from 3DS though so I could play with my moves before unlocking them. Agreeing a little on colours, I liked that on 3DS, though it's not that hard to hit Y a few times when you pick your character (and that gets saved with the customization if you have custom charactes so there's that), but Wii U has control customization as well, you just have to select your control profile every time (which have certainly annoyed me). And the records thing sounds like a weird issue to have, but if you share the Wii U with other people I guess it might be a thing.

So yeah. All in all I liked the single player content on U better. Crazy Orders, oh yeah.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I heard someone mention I shouldn't leave my 3DS plugged in, is that accurate? It seems most electronics after being fully charged just automatically stop charging without my intervention. All those stories of exploded devices are when that mechanism fails from what I understand.

It would be nice not to have to baby it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wildtortilla posted:

When I sent my console in for a dead pixel repair it was before I had purchased anything on the eShop. I sent in only my console, I kept the sd card and stylus. The process you go through on their website tells you everything to include (most likely only the console). My return process was painless until UPS lost my console returning it.

Oh man that sucks. What happened? I'm not worried about that happening but I was just curious.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why the gently caress is Ocarina of Time 3DS $50 used (45 if you're a pro member!) at GameStop?

Pretty sure I bought this game for < $30 on eShop a few months ago, and I know it's less than fifty on there. Do GameStop think that's the only way to buy the game anymore and they have the last copies in existence?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How big are 3DS games on average? If I have a 32GB MicroSD card, should last me a while, assuming I have zero interest in actually owning physical carts?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nolgthorn posted:

I heard someone mention I shouldn't leave my 3DS plugged in, is that accurate? It seems most electronics after being fully charged just automatically stop charging without my intervention. All those stories of exploded devices are when that mechanism fails from what I understand.

It would be nice not to have to baby it.
The batteries used nowadays don't take any damage from it, is what I hear. It used to be more of an issue with the kind that was used in some earlier gadgets.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Martytoof posted:

How big are 3DS games on average? If I have a 32GB MicroSD card, should last me a while, assuming I have zero interest in actually owning physical carts?

Average, probably around 500 - 600MB. A handful of games break the 1GB mark, but not many. As long as you don't buy like every 3DS game there is that's made available digitally, 32GB should be plenty.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Martytoof posted:

It depends, but I know that MH4 is like 3gb

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

Why the gently caress is Ocarina of Time 3DS $50 used (45 if you're a pro member!) at GameStop?

Pretty sure I bought this game for < $30 on eShop a few months ago, and I know it's less than fifty on there. Do GameStop think that's the only way to buy the game anymore and they have the last copies in existence?

GameStop price gouges all the drat time. I saw copies of Pokemon Heart Gold going for goddamn $50 like 2 months ago. I think part of the problem though is that OoT3D might actually be out of print now, so it might be getting rarer. It's still pretty lovely though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Out of print but freely available for anyone to buy for cheaper. It's not like they even have the box and manual if you were a collector.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If you're looking to get a new microSD card for your New 3DS, it looks like today would be the day to do it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_10330159011_gbsl_ulm_l-1_7582_36544756?rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Cn%3A10330159011&ie=UTF8&node=10330159011

PNY is not a brand that's known to have issues with 3DSes in the past, is it? I know people have said things about Sandisk although I've never had a problem with them personally.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

GameStop price gouges all the drat time. I saw copies of Pokemon Heart Gold going for goddamn $50 like 2 months ago. I think part of the problem though is that OoT3D might actually be out of print now, so it might be getting rarer. It's still pretty lovely though.

The crazy thing is they aren't even consistent about it. I found a copy of Knights in the Nightmare, with case and manual, for :10bux: when Gamestop was doing the "try out the New 3DS in person" thing on the 7th.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Technogeek posted:

The crazy thing is they aren't even consistent about it. I found a copy of Knights in the Nightmare, with case and manual, for :10bux: when Gamestop was doing the "try out the New 3DS in person" thing on the 7th.

Gamestop's pretty much become a lovely ebay reseller where prices are high on stuff they know is popular (Xenoblade, Metroid Prime, actually just anything Nintendo) and prices are low for stuff that might not be as popular. Either way, don't buy from GameStop, just stick to Amazon and the eShop and you'll be much happier for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lelandjs posted:

:aaaaa: I never even thought of that possibility, definitely interested in knowing if that works out. Probably not something I'd want to do on the regular but could be fun once in awhile.

Fix posted:

Wait. Plex? Like, Plex plex? Oh man I want this to work.

noirstronaut posted:

Why would you want Plex on your 3DS when you probably have a smartphone with an actual good screen

DoctorWhat posted:

For 3D, obviously.

This thread writes itself. Glad to know it works!!

Obviously it's better watching a movie on a higher resolution screen, but my phone, iPad and TV don't do 3D, so the best option is the 3DS.

Plus using plex allows you to watch it without eating your SD card with a big movie file.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

That's still way cheaper than what you could get them for on Amazon when I last looked. OOT's not the easiest game to find these days. I think it may have only gotten the one print run, and there's a lot more 3DSes now than when it was released.

edit:

Amazon: $80 new, from $67.90 used.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is Plex? I only know it as a magic robot who is the prophet of DJ Lance.

Also what's the best way to find 3d YouTube (or other video) content?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I think I want a N3DS but want my XL to pay for most of it and will offer it here first before Craigslist:

Blue 3DS XL - Great shape, had to buy it new 1 year ago due to old hinge breaking
New 16 GB SD card
Hori screen protector already applied ($10 value!)
Mario Land 3D - cart and box
Shin Megami Tensei 4 - cart and box w/soundtrack if I can find it

$175 shipped? Seems fair considering. Louisgod@somethingawful.com or pm if intetested.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

What is Plex? I only know it as a magic robot who is the prophet of DJ Lance.

Glad I'm not the only one.
Plex is basically a media streaming server, it's got clients on pretty much every platform.

quote:

Also what's the best way to find 3d YouTube (or other video) content?

I don't know if Youtube separates it themselves, so searching for "3D" is probably your best bet.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

greatn posted:

Also what's the best way to find 3d video?

greatn posted:

What is Plex?

greatn, see greatn's post above.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh man that sucks. What happened? I'm not worried about that happening but I was just curious.

The UPS service covering my home is garbage. They frequently would say they couldn't find my house, they'd leave packages in weird locations, then they claimed to have delivered my 3DS but it never arrived.

UPS told me it wasn't their responsibility and to talk to Nintendo. Nintendo told me it wasn't their responsibility and to talk to the repair place (the shipper). Finally got a cool guy at the repair place on the phone. He said its Nintendo's responsibility and he's contact their Nintendo rep for me. Nintendo called me within the hour and apologized for the situation, told me my first call to them wasn't handled properly, and shipped me a replacement (refurb blue) 3DS in two days. I really liked my black DS and the new 3DS coming in black is the biggest driving force for me wanting one.

After that mess up I didn't give any business to UPS until Christmas time and I had no other choice. They left a $150 coffee machine on the porch steps in the rain instead of dropping it on the porch steps with a roof over them that is visible from the uncovered steps... UPS is dead to me.

That's my overly long, cautionary tale about UPS in the 3DS thread. I hope your return goes smoothly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does the 3DS stand that comes with the physical version of Kid Icarus even work with an XL? They're cheap enough on eBay, but I forgot that they were made when the tiny original 3DS was the only one out.

Haven't actually played KI:U, but considering it as a Club Nintendo reward. Not sure how valid a frame of reference this is, but I found the controls in Metroid Prime Hunters quite uncomfortable, enough so that I quit the game about halfway through.