Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bpower posted:

Nothing like collective punishment to disincentivize terror.

You have to think of population management like you would in terms of public health outcome metrics: its not how many incidents of terrorism still occur, its how many the proactive implementation of evidence-based security policies have prevented.

How many more bombings would there be without the security perimiter? How many more buses in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv would be blown up without expropriation of property used to facilitate terrorism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

You have to think of population management like you would in terms of public health outcome metrics: its not how many incidents of terrorism still occur, its how many the proactive implementation of evidence-based security policies have prevented.

How many more bombings would there be without the security perimiter? How many more buses in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv would be blown up without expropriation of property used to facilitate terrorism?

:golfclap: Well done, no one could read this and fail to think of using IBM punchcards to run extermination camps.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

you wouldnt

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Foreign negotiations are generally something you want to keep confidential for the benefit of both parties.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Israel didn't exist there'd be zero terrorist attacks on Israelis ergo checkmate :smug:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Volkerball posted:

you wouldnt

If Netanyahu finds a way to spike an Iranian nuclear deal, I don't even know.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Look it's almost like someone in the US government is colluding with a foreign country against our interests.

Who knew this would happen when you let foreign intelligence lobby pretty openly. It's the CIA that's supposed to do this to others not have it done to us.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Panzeh posted:

Look it's almost like someone in the US government is colluding with a foreign country against our interests.

Who knew this would happen when you let foreign intelligence lobby pretty openly. It's the CIA that's supposed to do this to others not have it done to us.

Free Jonathan Boehner.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea why Israel wants to sabotage the U.S. efforts to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons, because if the deal falls apart then Israel has no way of stopping Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, and once they do Israel can kiss it's domination of the Middle East goodbye.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Venom Snake posted:

Israel... domination of the Middle East...
?

??

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Venom Snake posted:

I have no idea why Israel wants to sabotage the U.S. efforts to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons, because if the deal falls apart then Israel has no way of stopping Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, and once they do Israel can kiss it's domination of the Middle East goodbye.

Two reasons.

First, Netanyahu doesn't want Iran to decisively not have nuclear weapons, because the threat of a nuclear Iran is a useful political tool. He doesn't want them to get nukes, he doesn't want them to give up on nukes, he wants them in a perpetual state of "ANY DAY NOW!"

Second, he doesn't want even the slightest hint of reconciliation between the U.S. and Iran.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Anyone happen to have a good general overview of the whole US-Iran nuclear talks scenario. It's hard to find much info online that isn't surrounded by a lot of ANY DAY NOW white noise.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

It isn't "Israel", it's Netanyahu and his cronies. He's been pushing the line about Iran as his last line of defense against being ousted as PM, and apparently is incapable of adapting to new circumstances. I only wish I could say that the Israeli public is likely to let this show at the polls. :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zerilan posted:

Anyone happen to have a good general overview of the whole US-Iran nuclear talks scenario. It's hard to find much info online that isn't surrounded by a lot of ANY DAY NOW white noise.

Obama wants a deal.

The deal isn't a good deal to either America or Israel.

Congress wants a better deal, since accepting the current one will get them primaried for appeasing Iran and force them to own to their base any retribution Israel faces.

Bibi knows the deal Obama is pressing for is poo poo and gives far too much to Iran to be worth anything, and Boehner agrees.

Iranian hardliners hate the deal, feel that acquisition of nuclear weapons is Iran's birthright, and are actively attempting to sabotage negotiations by having operational foreign cells to attack Israeli targets, such as embassies in south America and Jews in Europe.

How's that for a summary? Its any day now because any day now someone's going to bomb a synagogue and the deal is dead. So, who owns this dead deal and gets painted as wanting to appease an unappeasable Iran?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If the devil appeared before Bibi and promised that he would win every election for the next 10 years but at the end of it the world would end in nuclear fire, would he take the deal?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

If the devil appeared before Bibi and promised that he would win every election for the next 10 years but at the end of it the world would end in nuclear fire, would he take the deal?

I think he already made that deal 6 years ago, so... :suspense:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obama wants a deal.

The deal isn't a good deal to either America or Israel.

Congress wants a better deal, since accepting the current one will get them primaried for appeasing Iran and force them to own to their base any retribution Israel faces.

Bibi knows the deal Obama is pressing for is poo poo and gives far too much to Iran to be worth anything, and Boehner agrees.

Iranian hardliners hate the deal, feel that acquisition of nuclear weapons is Iran's birthright, and are actively attempting to sabotage negotiations by having operational foreign cells to attack Israeli targets, such as embassies in south America and Jews in Europe.

How's that for a summary? Its any day now because any day now someone's going to bomb a synagogue and the deal is dead. So, who owns this dead deal and gets painted as wanting to appease an unappeasable Iran?

Bibi even considering trying to influence US policy is in fact a terrible deal for the US. It's about time we laid the smackdown on punks like him. A 2000 pound elbow drop would send the right message. If Bibi feels it is his birthright to be able to go around the legitimate rule of Obama, we need to disabuse him of this notion. A harsh response that involved attacking the property of those who support espionage and treachery is warranted. An evidence-based approach would render him totally dependent on executive and CIA largesse, which would definitely work in US interests.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Don't engage MIGF. He just asserted out of hand that shootings in Copenhagen and France are all part of a scheme by a cabal of Iranian hardliners to derail negotiations between the U.S. and Iran. Because, you know, the best way to ruin negotiations would be to very secretly arrange random shootings by nutjobs with no actual trail back to Iran.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Disinterested posted:

I'm aware of the practicalities, but most people who do those things tend to say stuff more like 'we didn't do it but it wouldn't have been bad if we did'.

In its practical application the Dahiya Doctrine has always involved a healthy level of official obfuscation and victim-blaming for purposes of deniability and propaganda. And example would be Israel claiming that their attacks on civilians/civilian property/civilian infrastructure were unfortunate but (a) the fault of Hamas for using human shields, (b) unavoidable spillover from attacks on nearby Hamas positions, (c) preceded by advance warning to civilians in the area, or any combination of a b & c. These arguments are deployed not because any intelligent person seriously believes them but as a way of observing formalities. In that light, Eisenkot can always claim that it was mere talk (even though he specifically said it wasn't mere talk), or say that what he really meant was Israel would not be deterred from protecting itself just because human shields blah blah. Nevertheless I would guess that Eisenkot probably hasn't planned any trips to countries at all likely to assert universal jurisdiction over war crimes.

As to why he said it, I would guess it had something to do with timing. It was just after the 2006 Lebanon War, and Eisenkot was given the command to restore confidence and wash the bad taste out of the Israelis' mouths. It was probably the right moment, in the sense of domestic politics, to openly threaten to commit war crimes the next time Hezbollah stepped up.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

As to why he said it, I would guess it had something to do with timing. It was just after the 2006 Lebanon War, and Eisenkot was given the command to restore confidence and wash the bad taste out of the Israelis' mouths. It was probably the right moment, in the sense of domestic politics, to openly threaten to commit war crimes the next time Hezbollah stepped up.

I guess this is what I was looking for, thanks.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Over the last year or so, maybe two years, more moderate factions have gained influence in Iran, and the sanctions have been a significant hardship. As a result, Iran's been seeking peace and de-escalation with the US, indicating that they would be happy to comply with inspection demands and making other concessions to assure us that their nuclear program isn't directed toward weapons, in exchange for the loosening of sanctions and some assurances that we won't bomb them. Although the Obama administration and the more secular-ish aspects of Iran's government are generally on board with this whole deal, they're both facing significant domestic opposition, with Iran's Supreme Leader and other conservative/religious elements hesitant to buy in, and the Republican-dominated Congress in the US saying it'd rather tighten the sanctions than loosen them. Right now, Obama's on record saying he'll veto any further sanctions imposed against Iran, and commentators have suggested he's looking closely at the sanctions to see if there's any he can dismantle by executive fiat without Congressional approval; meanwhile, Boehner seems intent on making a political show out of it and displaying Republican political dominance by rallying Congress in favor of the current hardline policy on Iran.

Obama's perspective is that cutting a deal with Iran is the only realistic way to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons without direct military intervention, since sanctions have not been effective so far. The Republicans' perspective is that it stinks of appeasement and that a hardline approach with increasing brinksmanship and threats of military force is the only way to defeat Iran's ambitions, plus now that they've taken control of Congress they're anxious to show off their political gains and build morale among their supporters by challenging Obama head-on in an area they think they can force an administration defeat in (previous Iran sanctions have been highly bipartisan, so there's a good chance of peeling off some Dem votes). Netanyahu's motives are obvious; like the Republicans, he doesn't want the US becoming friendly with Iran or loosening up the economic pressure, as a right-wing hawk he benefits from the current state of tensions and brinksmanship, and with an election coming up he wants the discourse to be all about how he's protecting Israel from Big Bad Iran and the peacemakers who have let themselves be fooled by it.

From the perspective of domestic US politics, the criticism that Netanyahu is trying to overturn US government policy is probably incorrect. Ultimately, Netanyahu's basically just being used as a political tool in Boehner's attempt to convince Congress to block Obama's proposed change of policy. Netanyahu is going along with it, since the Republican position aligns pretty well with his own and playing along with them also gives him an extra free campaign speech, but this is ultimately a clash between Obama and Congress in which Netanyahu is nothing more than a sideshow of little real importance.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Panzeh posted:

Bibi even considering trying to influence US policy is in fact a terrible deal for the US. It's about time we laid the smackdown on punks like him. A 2000 pound elbow drop would send the right message. If Bibi feels it is his birthright to be able to go around the legitimate rule of Obama, we need to disabuse him of this notion. A harsh response that involved attacking the property of those who support espionage and treachery is warranted. An evidence-based approach would render him totally dependent on executive and CIA largesse, which would definitely work in US interests.

You're doing God's work, keep it up!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dolash posted:

Don't engage MIGF. He just asserted out of hand that shootings in Copenhagen and France are all part of a scheme by a cabal of Iranian hardliners to derail negotiations between the U.S. and Iran. Because, you know, the best way to ruin negotiations would be to very secretly arrange random shootings by nutjobs with no actual trail back to Iran.

Not at all, what I'm saying is that Iran has a history of bombing Israeli, and Jewish, targets on other continents in order to pursue foreign policy objectives. I was more thinking South America, and the mock run of a bombing found recently, and less so Europe. What happens if Iranian hardliners blow up a synagogue or Israeli embassy in South America? Who owns the political fallout? Whoever was in favor of appeasing Iran, that's who.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

You don't attack people with nukes, no one in the Middle East but Pakistan has nukes and they don't give a poo poo about Israel.

Alien Arcana posted:

Two reasons.

First, Netanyahu doesn't want Iran to decisively not have nuclear weapons, because the threat of a nuclear Iran is a useful political tool. He doesn't want them to get nukes, he doesn't want them to give up on nukes, he wants them in a perpetual state of "ANY DAY NOW!"

Second, he doesn't want even the slightest hint of reconciliation between the U.S. and Iran.

Considering the fact that he's done every thing he can to sabotage the "ANY DAY NOW" thing I don't really believe this. All he wants is A. To stay in power and B. A United States willing to invade what ever country Israel wants and to pay for all the costs of said invasion.

Sabotaging Obama's negotiations can only end badly for Israel, even by their own logic an Iran with nukes would instantly destroy all of Israel so why keep trying to stop the man trying to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons. But I don't believe an Iran with nukes would ever attack Israel, and that a nuclear state to deter Israel from loving with the rest of the Middle East is a good thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

You don't attack people with nukes, no one in the Middle East but Pakistan has nukes and they don't give a poo poo about Israel.

Considering the fact that he's done every thing he can to sabotage the "ANY DAY NOW" thing I don't really believe this. All he wants is A. To stay in power and B. A United States willing to invade what ever country Israel wants and to pay for all the costs of said invasion.

Sabotaging Obama's negotiations can only end badly for Israel, even by their own logic an Iran with nukes would instantly destroy all of Israel so why keep trying to stop the man trying to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons. But I don't believe an Iran with nukes would ever attack Israel, and that a nuclear state to deter Israel from loving with the rest of the Middle East is a good thing.

The stated issue is that the deal wouldn't prevent them from going after nukes, and would help them in the long run by easing sanctions.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Folks with nukes in the mid-east:

Israel
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia

Folks who'll get nukes the moment anyone in this group gets nukes:

Iran
Egypt
Turkey
Syria

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt they could achieve it anyways, but there's nothing good about Iran having nukes as a "deterrent." They wave their dicks around in the Middle East much more than Israel does as it is, and adding nuclear capability on top of it would be bad news.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I mean why would Iran want "the ultimate deterrent"? They're so irrational!!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bpower posted:

Because they've been saying for years they want to use it against Israel. I tend to take foreign policy proclamations of ambitions seriously, and have yet to see Iranian action demonstrating that their declared intent is not their actual intent.

Its only a deterrent until you use it, then its a holocaust.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bpower posted:

After what happened with Ukraine, I would honestly have a hard time arguing to any country that it is against its interests to acquire/maintain nuclear weapons.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

The stated issue is that the deal wouldn't prevent them from going after nukes, and would help them in the long run by easing sanctions.

Well considering that's the opposite of reality I'm not going to give that stated issue much credibility.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia

Folks who'll get nukes the moment anyone in this group gets nukes:

Iran
Egypt
Turkey
Syria

The same way every country in the USSR or sympathetic to the Soviet Union automatically got nukes, oh wait that never happened. And I fail to see how Turkey having nukes is a bad thing.

Volkerball posted:

I doubt they could achieve it anyways, but there's nothing good about Iran having nukes as a "deterrent." They wave their dicks around in the Middle East much more than Israel does as it is, and adding nuclear capability on top of it would be bad news.

You know what Nuclear armed country waves their dick around more than any of those countries in the middle east? I'll give you one guess.

How dare we let people develop weapons to defend themselves, obviously the cold war has taught us the minute you get nukes you immediately nuke all of your enemies. Posting this from my scavenged parts computer in a fallout bunker in the radioactive ruins of D.C.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

After what happened with Ukraine, I would honestly have a hard time arguing to any country that it is against its interests to acquire/maintain nuclear weapons.

The simple fact that the nations with them will not stop trying to gently caress you if you do. Which is just an incentive to have a secret program, but that's hard.

Also, the Saudis do not have nukes, they just have a likely avenue of acquisition.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

Saudi Arabia

[citation needed]

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

[citation needed]

Either he's trolling or he's alluding to the reported pact the Saudis have with Pakistan which basically is if the Saudis want them the Pakistanis will send them immediately.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

You know what Nuclear armed country waves their dick around more than any of those countries in the middle east? I'll give you one guess.

How dare we let people develop weapons to defend themselves, obviously the cold war has taught us the minute you get nukes you immediately nuke all of your enemies. Posting this from my scavenged parts computer in a fallout bunker in the radioactive ruins of D.C.

Since the end of the Iraq War, no one. The failure of the Arab Spring and the collapse of Syria and Iraq are almost entirely on the hands of Iran, with a helping of the gulf states and Russia. I don't like the idea of a country who murdered thousands of political prisoners, executes the most prisoners in the Middle East by far (excluding failed states like Syria), and supports any Shia force anywhere in the region without question of the horrendous massacres they commit, feeling even more brazen.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 17, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

Since the end of the Iraq War, no one. The failure of the Arab Spring and the collapse of Syria and Iraq are almost entirely on the hands of Iran, with a helping of the gulf states and Russia. I don't like the idea of a country who murdered thousands of political prisoners, executes the most prisoners in the Middle East by far, and supports any Shia force anywhere in the region without question of the horrendous massacres they commit, feeling even more brazen.

I don't know what kind of opposite land you live in were the Arab Spring failed but it must be the same place were the Iranian army or a militia of Shia militants invaded several Iraqi cities and collapsed the country instead of a Sunni extremist group called ISIS. But if we are basing who gets nukes off of how good they are as people on your personal accepto meter we should be invading Israel and nuking Pakistan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

I don't know what kind of opposite land you live in were the Arab Spring failed but it must be the same place were the Iranian army or a militia of Shia militants invaded several Iraqi cities and collapsed the country instead of a Sunni extremist group called ISIS.

what a world that might look like

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

what a world that might look like

Well, here in reality ISIS has provided an excellent target for people to unite against and I'm glad this might end in us finally starting to support a secular middle eastern nation other than turkey.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

I don't know what kind of opposite land you live in were the Arab Spring failed but it must be the same place were the Iranian army or a militia of Shia militants invaded several Iraqi cities and collapsed the country instead of a Sunni extremist group called ISIS. But if we are basing who gets nukes off of how good they are as people on your personal accepto meter we should be invading Israel and nuking Pakistan.

Ever heard of a little group called Hezbollah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

Well, here in reality ISIS has provided an excellent target for people to unite against and I'm glad this might end in us finally starting to support a secular middle eastern nation other than turkey.

Interesting, because Shia militias crushing dissent and murdering Sunni's while Maliki pushed Sunni's out of the government and degraded them provided an excellent target for people to unite against, and the result was ISIS. I imagine the increase in sectarianism will only have positive results for the region.

• Locked thread